Search Unity

Fireball material

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by thestrandedmoose, Jul 26, 2018.

1. thestrandedmoose

thestrandedmoose

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a fireball like the one seen here?

I have a character who is made of fire so I need a material like this that will work for a Skinned Mesh

I assume the best way to do this is a material+particle effect, but I don't have any experience writing shaders. Is there a good plugin I could use to create this kind of material (or purchase?)

Here is a still image:

2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Your fire character idea, sounds really cool.
    I could imagine how it would look, with the mario kart fire ball graphics style.

I noticed that the fireballs and the karts exhaust flames, look very
    similar graphically.

Yeah, it's possible that nintendo might have used, a material + particle
    type combination, for the fireball look and effect.

But for some strange reason, I think they might have used, a fancy
    shader/material, together with an animated texture on the fireballs
    and for the warping flame, on the top of the fireballs.

It's also possible, that the flame on top of the fireball, could be an
    animated 3d mesh flame. With probably a bit of particle effects.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  3. Torbach78

Torbach78

have you tried shader graph it comes in unity2018

it will help you author shaders using node connections

4. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

@thestrandedmoose
    About the fireball, I think just make a lava / sea shader which have 2 UV space flowing on difference direction over time with overlay texture effects + An outer ball model plane which wrapping around the main ball to do another lava / sea shader but this time with alpha enabled + A looping burning fire particles always enable on top should do.

To make a lava shader. You can either use Shader Forge or Unity build-in shader editor in 2018 edition and upwards. Just simply ask the internet and you could easily find something like this: https://glennconrad.wordpress.com/shaderforge-shaders

For your fire character. Just use something like the shader in the link for your body + Looping burning particle effects setup on elbow, head, chest, palm, shoulder and so on should do.

Fantastic 4 project? :D

5. thestrandedmoose

thestrandedmoose

Hey guys, I actually achieved the effect quite easily with Amplify Shader Editor. Simply used a panner with a fire texture, fresnel, and emission. Also put some particle effects I found on the asset store in the center of the ball and it looks pretty damn good. Thanks for all the recommendations! Will post a video here once I have updated the character in my game, and can provide the node tree if anyones interested

6. Sybrr

Sybrr

Share please?