Search Unity

Official Fire effect

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by treivize, Nov 7, 2020.

1. treivize

treivize

Amel-Unity, itsLevi0sa and Smurjo like this.
  2. Smurjo

Smurjo

@treivize This looks wonderfully toony.

We would also need fire emitted by the chick. Either from it's mouth - like a dragon or from its plumage, I think. We would have to be careful with the fire coming from the chicks plumage to avoid the impression the chicken is burning like wood.

3. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

You're on... fire :)
    And thanks for opening a thread, I linked it to the corresponding card on the roadmap.

Regarding your effect, I think it's a good start, but it doesn't look very cartoon due to the many layers that overlap with transparency.
    You quote one really great breakdown:
    which seems to go in the direction I had in mind, i.e. using a flipbook of frames to simulate the dissolve of the flames, and not transparency.

I could also give it a shot at drawing these frames, I've done something like this in the past and I don't mind!
    https://twitter.com/CiroContns/status/936383928553832450?s=20

(although in this example I use transparency for the smoke, I was tired and didn't want to draw another flipbook)

4. treivize

treivize

Thanks for the feedback @cirocontinisio and the direction to follow.
    Your toon flame VFX is really great! It feels like Disney's style :)
    I am learning a lot contributing to this project that is so a great idea. But I am not really familiar building effect by manually drawing frames.

I tried a different procedural approach based again on transparency dissolve but offset using discreet increment to simulate flipbook effect. I have the feeling it may be more aligned with the direction.

Again, I am enjoying playing with assets to create the atmosphere to showcase my contribution ;) Et voilà!

fire_shader_3.gif

The current shader graph is a mess, still working in progress ;)
    upload_2020-11-9_15-33-5.png

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  5. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio