Search Unity

FIPS & WebGL Builds

Discussion in 'Web' started by CaptCheerios, Feb 1, 2018.

1. CaptCheerios

CaptCheerios

So there is an issue that the WebGL compiler uses MD5 encryption which is not allowed as part of FIPS. Will unity be reworking the WebGL compiler to use FIPS compliant libraries instead so that it can be run on systems that are required to be using FIPS?

Currently I am having a long drawn out battle to get FIPS disabled/use the registry key hack solution to fix a problem with Unity.

I've done my research and every solution is to disable FIPS edit your registry key but this is not a solution I can work around (last years big spurt of cyber attacks really put IT on edge and disabling FIPS is not an option)

2. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

We can repro this inhouse and will take a look at this. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

3. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Hello again! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but a fix for this is currently way down the priority list so won't happen anytime soon.

So your remaining option is to disable the policy on your machine that does the building.

The only thing that the process is actually doing is generating MD5 hashes for temporary file names. It isn't doing any sensitive/crypto related things at all if that helps your argument with your IT.