Search Unity

FindKernal Fails

Discussion in 'Linux' started by thecraftycodingfangirl, Sep 17, 2017.

1. thecraftycodingfangirl

thecraftycodingfangirl

I imported a game project into a fresh install of the 2017.2.0b11 Linux editor on my Ubuntu 16.04 system. Said game project had been built using the Windows editor on Win10.

The project eventually loaded but I was greeted with the series of error messages that follows:
    I'm quite new to working with Unity and as I know the Linux version is not formally supported at the moment I'm hesitant to file a bug report about the issue. I'm going to be doing level design to help my husband with this game project he's been developing. If anyone can point me in the right direction to resolve these issues, it would be most appreciated.

2. Tak

Tak

It looks like this is an issue with a third-party package (Lighting Box) not being able to find a particular kernel in one of its compute shaders.
    I wasn't able to duplicate this behavior with their test scenes, so it may be related to either your project or your machine - filing a bug report would give us more information to track down the issue.

3. zero_null

zero_null

Hello.
    I am having the same issue on Unity 2018.1.3 ! I am using the post processing stack 2

UnityException: FindKernel failed
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.ScreenSpaceReflectionsRenderer.Render (UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessRenderContext context) (at C:/Users/GS/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.7-preview/PostProcessing/Runtime/Effects/ScreenSpaceReflections.cs:210)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.BuildCommandBuffers () (at C:/Users/GS/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.7-preview/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:400)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.PostProcessing.PostProcessLayer.OnPreCull () (at C:/Users/GS/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.7-preview/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs:294)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Mehrdad995 likes this.
  4. cameron990

cameron990

I had this happen now HDRP is broken on my machine. I un-installed Unity and even in a new project, I get this error and no rendering of any objects. I understand its still in preview so I can't be to upset but I hope it's fixed. My project looked great in HDRP.

5. dbdenny

dbdenny

Come up with the same error. And I fixed it by removing the Library directory and reimport the project. I guess the root cause is the remove/reinstall packages operations mis-update caches in the Library directory, and because this Kernel is part of shader, only removing the shader related caches should work as well (I guess), reimporting the whole project is too cost...

BTW, my unity version is 2018.4.2

6. HernandoNJ

HernandoNJ

Thanks. It worked for me.
    I had Unity 2021.1.8 Win,Mac,Linux platform. The error appeared after moving the project to 2021.1.10 and WebGL.
    After following steps above, the errors disappeared.

7. SimRuJ

SimRuJ

After updating to 2021.2.12f1 I got a lot of errors like this one:
    Deleting the "Library" folder automatically re-imported the project and assets on the next start but also loaded a completely empty scene. I just had to double-click my "MainScene.unity" and everything was back to normal - no more errors.
    Edit: Deleting the "Library" folder also reset the build platform to "Windows, Mac, Linux" and when I switched back, the errors were back too.
    Edit 2: I started a thread about the WebGL version of this problem here.
    Edit 3: It still happens in 2021.2.13f1.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  8. HernandoNJ

HernandoNJ

Tested today in 2021.2.13. Errors disappeared after removing and re-importing library.
    The project comes from older version (2021.2.10), maybe that's the reason
    Also, in my case, it seems to be about a Post processing shader

9. SimRuJ

SimRuJ

@HernandoNJ
    Is there an "Ambient Occlusion" component (in "Post-process Volume") on your camera? What platform? If you're using WebGL, please post your setup here and test what I wrote.

10. HernandoNJ

HernandoNJ

I have post-processing but not ambient occlusion.
    The only thing I did was to close Unity, remove Library folder and re-open the project (that regenerates the Library) as shown above.
    I am using WebGL
    upload_2022-3-12_20-54-13.png

11. SimRuJ

SimRuJ

@HernandoNJ
    What effects are you using? Did you disable any of them?
    Did removing the "Library" folder not reset your platform to "Windows, Mac, Linux"? That's what it did for me and as soon as I switched back to "WebGL" the errors were back too (until I disabled that effect).
    There's now a new Unity version (2021.2.15) but I haven't tested it with that one yet. I also posted a bug report but no reply yet.
    Btw, I opened a new thread for the WebGL version of this error and there are steps how to replicate the problem in an empty WebGL project (default build settings) here.

faziii likes this.
  12. YaowenDev

YaowenDev

Aside from things like deleting the Library folder and re-import all assets, enabling Auto Graphics API (Project Setting - Player - Other settings - Rendering) on Android fixes the issue in my case.

By the way, the ERROR only appeared on the Android platform in my project.

YU_BAMBOO likes this.
  13. faziii

faziii

same happening for me, the error appear on webgl and i am using unity 2021.3.0 LTS release. It is bug which unity calims that they have fixed in 2022.1.0b. How did you fix? I don't want to move on unstable unity.

14. MatthewG4mz3r

MatthewG4mz3r

so do I delete the whole entire library directory or just the post processing directory cause removing and then reinstalling the post processing did nothing as soon as I enabled ambient oclusion it stopped working

15. FridayShango

FridayShango

Thanks this worked for me running an android build for my VR game scene.