Search Unity

Question Finding Particle local Transform Axis in Shader Graph

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by Ogham5tone, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Ogham5tone

Ogham5tone

Hi all,

I'm attempting to create an effect for flames blowing in the wind, based off the techniques in this grass tutorial.

Right now, I have flames created by particles, and can deform them locally in the same way as the grass show in the tutorial. My problem now arises that I can't deform the flames in their local axis, only the world axis - I need to attach the flames to a moving object and skew them in the direction of movement, so the direction of deformation needs to follow the local axis.

I can achieve this effect on a normal object - please see below for a simple graph constructing the effect, and a gif of a cube using this shader to deform along the Y, rotated around to demonstrate the local deformation.
    shader.jpg
    2020-02-11_ShaderObjectOffset_01.gif
    I can't get the same results with a particle though - when applied the particle always resorts to deforming along the world axis. I suspect Custom Vertex Streams may be an avenue to investigate, but I haven't been successful in getting positional information to come through to the shader graph - the documentation assumes scripted shaders only, not shader graph.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

Using Unity 2019.2.12
    HDRP 6.9.2
    Shader Graph 6.9.2

2. syverapt

syverapt

Hey there, I'm having the same issue. I can't seem to be able to transform particles in their local space, only world space. Did you figure anything out?

3. Danielsantalla

Danielsantalla

Any news on this?

4. Ogham5tone

Ogham5tone

No luck here, I had to ditch that approach completely.

sorry for not replying sooner, I never got any notification on this thread despite 'watching' it.