Search Unity

Finding A Team

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RoloJo, Feb 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoloJo

RoloJo

Hi,

As the title suggest, where is the best place to get a few like-minded people together to make a game?

I have posted on a number of forums that have "Collaboration" threads but not many people really look at those forums. Am I doing something wrong or is it just me? :p

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Everyone wants people to help with thier game. Very few want to help others with theirs. Demand massively outweighs the supply. Try helping others and building relationships, then when those projects finish, you may be able to talk them into working on yours.

3. RoloJo

RoloJo

You're right, everyone thinks they have the next best thing.

What I am doing is more a portion of a game and then letting the other 90% of it be "user defined". Ie if you include my 10% then the rest is can be your idea. I went with a more open ended approach but no luck.

4. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Try a team-oriented environment such as a Ludum Dare the 3 day one. Some place where people may be actively looking to form new game dev relationships... form a team and work together. Then perhaps some will continue working together after the jam finishes.

Otherwise it won't be exactly what you are looking for but $$$ (insert your currency symbol there) makes all of the difference. Meaning if you pay people to help with your projects you will greatly increase your chances of getting people to work with you.

It is surprising how many lone wolf devs seem to be in game dev. I think that is maybe not really the case though and perhaps many already are a part of a team.

imDanOush and dogzerx2 like this.
  5. steelersfan252

steelersfan252

Go out and meet people that have the same interests as yours, and then network with them. Then it makes it easier to find people that would be interested in working with you. You should also explain a lot about your project because maybe it seems dull to people and so that is why they are reluctant to message you.

6. Teila

Teila

It is not you. This is a developer forum for Unity. Most of us already are on teams, have teams, or prefer to go it alone.

Best place to get people to help you is through your own online community. Build your 10% and then post videos and Twitch, Tweet, and Facebook until you get some followers. Then you might find people to help you and those people will be passionate about your game.

If you want people from here, you will probably have to pay them. Very few are going to drop their own projects and do free work..at least anyone worth having on your team.

7. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Yeah, don't look for a team empty handed.

It would be better if you had started a project that you need people to help you out with. rather than looking for people to help you out to START a project. Which means you're looking for motivation in a team, so maybe then you'll do something. If this is your project, you need to have enough motivation to spare ... for yourself, and for the people you want to help you.

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Face to face is much better for teams then remote. Go to a local game dev meet up and talk to people.

Teila, Buttons4Bellies and dogzerx2 like this.
  9. Buttons4Bellies

Buttons4Bellies

From my experience, people tend to disappear right before the heavy lifting starts. Ensuring actual effort is required upfront from all parties will save a round of headaches.

I'd echo that you should have something to show going into it, but also expect the same in return.

Oh, and knowing where your teammates live definitely prevents flakiness...

Kiwasi and Teila like this.
  10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This is true. If you have to see someone again, keeping up a good relationship is important.

If breaking the relationship is just as simple as pushing the block button on Skype, then there is no real incentive to keep it up.

Buttons4Bellies likes this.
  11. Buttons4Bellies

Buttons4Bellies

Not to mention the potential drama when money tangibly enters the scenario.

Teila likes this.
  12. Richop

Richop

@RoloJo

I'm interested, depends what the game is, level of complexity. It could work getting a couple of people together and trying to do something small and agreeable and see if the collaboration can work at all. Depends on the location, could be a bonus if on opposite time zones so work could be done 24 hours a day!

I've got a few ideas for games(well mostly rip-offs of other games with slight tweaks), haven't been focused on games lately, been mostly been pissing around raymarching sdf's in unity and have got quite far:

I do think there's a world of unique games that could be made with these techniques*

*no idea what but will be demo af

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.