Search Unity

Finally we buyed unity pro!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aigam, Jan 29, 2006.

1. aigam

aigam

Hi, we are playgood studios and I finally buyed unity after a really big time og looking diferent engines.
    Unity is, with diference, the most powerful one with the best world editor.
    Tehere are engines most front-end cards that unity, but well, unity is a 4x4 machine, works well in bad machimes and new, and I like this.

Not more... I'm now learning the scripting of unity ^^

What is better, scripting or working with c++ plug-in?
    I'm 100% programmer, c++ is not a problem for me.

I have an imac, and now I need a laptop. I need a 12", the powerbook can work with unity? or you recomend to wait to a intel 12"?

Thks for all and sorry for my really bad english (I'm from spain).

2. NCarter

NCarter

I'd say you should do everything you can in scripting and only resort to C++ plugins if you really have to. Unity's scripting engine (Mono) is reasonably fast, so you don't really suffer too much for having lots of scripts, although you may have to do things in clever, optimal ways to get good performance for certain things.

Plugins are mostly useful in cases where you need to call external APIs to things that Mono/.NET doesn't allow for, such as controlling hardware.

For what it's worth, I'm a C++ programmer too, and I found C# was very pleasant to use and quite easy to pick up. :)

I'll let others comment on the PowerBook... I've never used one....

3. tsphillips

tsphillips

Don't expect Unity to work with the new Intels before March. (I'm hoping for sooner, though. :wink:) A powerbook should work fine -- I have a copy of Unity running on an old 800MHz iMac G4.

The integrated "scripting" environment works very well. It actually gets compiled down to portable bytecode (or p-code), which is run by the Mono framework. It is essentially the same as Microsoft's .NET platform.

If you write any plugins, remember they may make it hard to port between Mac and Windows. Even in the best case you are looking at maintaining two baselines and two separate development environments. (This is assuming you write the plugins yourself.)

Tom

4. aigam

aigam

Thks for the help.

Well, if the plugins are hard to port then is best to write only with scripts, thks.

5. klindeman

klindeman

I have made a plugin that is both for Mac OS X and Windows, and it was not that hard to port. Took me a while to figure out that I needed to export the symbols using some special stuff before I could get them out of the DLL.

6. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Si nesesitas ayuda con entender algo puedo provar de ayudarte, aunque mi español no es lo mejor ;). Jeff

7. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Writing scripts gets you much faster turnaround time (compare: "edit sctip, save, back to unity" versus "edit c++, compile, copy plugin to unity, reload, ...") and lots of extra features like public component variables visible in the inspector - so you can expose them to game designed and he can tweak the game without worrying about programming at all.

8. aigam

aigam

Thks, I will work with the script then ^^

PD: outcast tu castellano parece mejor que mi ingles ^^

9. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Pues gracias, y felicitaciones en tu compra. Espero ver tus proyectos :) en el futuro quiero sacar todo mis travajos en engles y español. Pues cuidate. Jeff

10. PeterDahl

PeterDahl

Congratulations with your purchase from the HQ too.

oh and Jeff, can we write in Danish and English then? ;-)

btw: I am using the 12" PB and it runs Unity quiet well. The graphics card can be a little slow for full pr. pixel lit scenes at times, but besides that I am quiet happy with it.

11. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Sure then maybe I can learn some Danish ;) Don't worry anything that would be usefull to all will be in english, ha ha. Besides my insight isn't usualy that usefull ;) I'm just an artist after all. :p Jeff