Search Unity

Finally got around to a nested prefab and prefab variant test...

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by IllTemperedTunas, Sep 20, 2018.

1. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Worked like a dream.

Things I was 90% sure were going to break didn't. Have scripts that connect to each other across multiple objects and they all retained their references even on new prefabs with unique values exactly where you'd expect them without you having to dial them back in again. The UI surrounding them is flawless, didn't seem too in your face, just enough to let you know where unique changes were and very intuitive if you wanted to revert or push global changes. It's damn near perfect, no feedback at all other than praise.

Not trying to downplay people still having issues with prefabs, but I'm pretty damned excited to get to content creation beginning next week, feels like the beginning of a new era for my project. We scheduled around this milestone in a pretty big way, and it looks like it's going to pay off.

Thanks for the cool new stuff!

phobos2077, cxode, runevision and 3 others like this.
  2. Deeeds

Deeeds

I agree. What works is good.

The lack of shortcuts and convenient empowerment of rapidly utilising the facilities are the remaining problems, and reflect a lack of respect and consideration for empowering and endearing users to a creative toolset, which Prefabs are...

3. Stardog

Stardog

Try reordering something in the hierarchy.

4. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Ok... just did. Had no issue, it propagates to variants when shifting order in the root prefab.