Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

FINAL IK - Full Body IK, Aim, Look At, FABRIK, CCD IK... [1.0 RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Partel-Lang, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Kaffo

Kaffo

Thanks for replying Partel, I'll go check it out!

2. mtartaglia

mtartaglia

Hi Partel,

i'm using your fantastic asset for my VR framework, and it works very well, good job !!
    Currently i'm using the Morph 3D asset like avatar (in particular the free model 'MCS Male'), and i'm using the HTC Vive helmet and your VRIK script, for avatar motion i'm using also a 'canonical' unity animator.

My problem is based on the orientation of the knee, the cases are:

- using only canonical animator -> it works fine
    - using only VRIK -> it works bad
    - using canonical + VRIK -> it works fine
    - using canonical + VRIK + grounder -> it works bad !
    The last configuration is useful to me.

Inspecting the documentation and forum, i've seen that using FBBIK it's possibile to adjust the knee orientation (little yellow arrow) but not with VRIK.

Thanks for any suggestion
    Marco

In attachment the 'bad' and 'fine' situations
    withGrounder.png withoutGrounder.png

Heykinox likes this.
  3. Sarmale32

Sarmale32

Hi!
    I have some questions regarding the final ik.
    I am currently trying to use the FABRIK solver to move the arm of a cat.
    The problem is that i want to change the "Target" and "Weight" of the solver during runtime and i don't know how to acces the "Target" and "Weight" variables. How can i find and use them or where are they in the scripts so i can reference to them?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  4. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Is there a Final IK component that could be used to position a character to traverse a Navmesh Offmesh link?

5. emiller100

emiller100

I am running into a problem with recoil animation. I have been unable to get your example code in the docs to work. I am not 100% sure what character.forward is. Do you have an example of how to do this. Aiming is working fine but when I shoot the gun recoils back and makes the character bend forward to keep the gun pointed at the target. What is the best way to handle this situation? I tried changing the AimIK weight to 0 while firing but this makes the upper body not face the target while shooting. I also tried this but it didn't work.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector3 aimFrom = aimIK.solver.bones[4].transform.position;
    2. Vector3 direction = (aimIK.solver.target.position - aimFrom);
    3. aimIK.solver.axis = aimIK.solver.transform.InverseTransformDirection(direction);
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  6. sandBucket2

sandBucket2

Hey Partel,

Is there any way to rotate the pole in Aim IK? I can move the pole fine with transform.position, but when I rotate it, its locked.

// Code within the update() method for rotating the pole along the y axis:
    newRotation = new Vector3(0, pivot.transform.eulerAngles.y, 0);
    targetPole.transform.eulerAngles = newRotation;

The code above shows the pole gameObject rotating during runtime, but the pole rotation is locked when viewing the Aim IK component during runtime

I want to only rotate the pole across the y axis. The reason for using the pole is to stabilize the walking animation while aiming (torso was stiff initially), however, the pole is lagging behind a little when moving around. So I made some code to compensate for this pole lag, it works in one direction relative to the character but I need the pole to rotate along the y axis so that it works for all directions relative to the character.

An example of my situation can be found in the demos folder: Plugins->RootMotion-> FinalIK-> _DEMOS->Aim IK-> AimIK Pole

In the demo, it shows the pole with the gun and you can move the pole any direction.

But it can't rotate along the y axis, if you try it will look like this:

Rotating the pole would probably have no effect in this demo, but in my game the rotation matters due to stabilizing the animation whenever a character is strafing in a specific direction. Example: the pole is shifted a little bit left to compensate for the strafe left animation, originally the character's torso tilted a little to right when moving left, so I coded so the character's torso to remain neutral when strafing left. It works, but only in one direction since there is no pole rotation.

Let me know if it is possible and thanks.

Update:
    I may have been able to solve this problem within my own code. I was not aware of transform.forward or transform.Translate which can help me move the pole in the position desired relative to the direction the character is facing.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

I have a third person shooter using AimIK, Grounder, FBBIK, and sometimes HeadIK which I've had working for a while.

This weekend I decided to experiment with first person aiming (I already had an experimental first person mode for just walking around), but I wanted to support ADS with guns directly with the third person armature. I used the fps aiming sample. I had to hack it a bit in a few places, but I was able to get it to work, while also keeping the view aligned with the horizon while under ADS. I used some old first person stabilization code that was in my original experimentation from years ago (to eliminate banking the camera) - oddly enough though, I cannot find this code anywhere anymore in the newer final ik versions - was it removed in favor of a different approach?

In any event - my main question is that I have first person working pretty much exactly how you expect it, with and without ADS. However, even with camera rotational stabilization, the problem is the positional artifacts from the animations still cause the camera to slightly move around during movement which no one would find acceptable.

With some googling I did find this video on star citizen around this very topic:
    . They talk about camera rotational stabilization (which I do), and then clearly the next problem they describe is the one I am stuck at which they solve by having the rest of the body absorb the movement. Any ideas on how to go about solving this last problem with final Ik?

StaticWave likes this.
  8. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    That first picture is really strange, looks like there is an extra bone between the thigh and knee that is used to bend the leg. Are you sure you have the right bones set up in the References? (thigh-knee-ankle-toe, not any roll bones that the character might have). If that's not it, could you send me the character fbx and one of the animation clips that the problem occurs with to support@root-motion.com?

Hey,
    ik.solver.IKPositionWeight for the weight.
    ik.solver.target for the target.
    If you have no target transform assigned and wish to change the target position directly, use ik.solver.IKPosition.

Hey,
    No, sorry, that's not what IK is used for. I guess you could use startTransform and endTransform position and interpolate between them.

Hey,
    Please try this code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public AimIK ik;
    2.         [Tooltip("The direction in character space in which the gun is aimed in the animation clip (if the character is aiming forward, use (0, 0, 1), if right (1, 0, 0)). Tweak this value to adjust the aiming.")] public Vector3 animatedAimingDirection = Vector3.forward;
    4.         void LateUpdate () {
    5.             ik.solver.axis = ik.solver.transform.InverseTransformVector(ik.transform.rotation * animatedAimingDirection);
    6.         }
    Hey,
    The rotation of the pole target has no effect on the IK, it is just not used. It is only the direction vector from the aim transform to the pole target, that is used by the IK.

Hey,
    Have you tried using the FBBIKHeadEffector as in the "Head Effector" demo? Parent it to the root of the character.
    You can test it in the demo, if you set the animator controller to "Humanoid Walking", in the head effector set "Rotation Weight" to 1 and "Fix Head" to true for full accuracy. Then move the head effector in the scene view.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

9. skinwalker

skinwalker

Why I cannot make longer interaction using the interaction system and interaction object?

From what I understand the hand of the character should reach the object for ~0.5 seconds, stay there for another ~3.9 seconds and the weight should go back to 0 when it reaches 4 seconds.

What happens is the whole animation plays for 1 or 1.5 seconds and its over, even if I increase the length of the curve to 10 or 15 seconds.

Edit: Solved, this was happening because I was editing the weight curve at runtime and increasing the length of it, I had no idea it should be set beforehands :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  10. emiller100

emiller100

I got your code working. The pole target was interfering. Once I got rid of it everything worked as expected.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  11. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Yeah, it doesn't update the length of the curve in play mode, because reading the keys in each update eats memory and performance

12. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Guys, I got conscripted for the rest of the week, will return to help you on Monday...

13. vivredraco

vivredraco

Has anyone had success getting Morph3D characters to work with VRIK? When I tried limbs were all twisted, the body was sideways, it was a mess, and I couldn't figure out what settings to change to fix it.

14. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

is there a way to make final ik and cloth physics to work together?
    i tried GPU cloth asset and obi cloth assets

15. skinwalker

skinwalker

Does someone know how to hide the visual representation of the Interaction Target in the scene view?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  16. CraigGraff

CraigGraff

@Partel-Lang

I am using FinalIK for a project with a client and I need to be able to see the updates for the body while in edit mode, ideally for use in recording with Timelines. Do you have any advice how I might best do this?

17. CraigGraff

CraigGraff

Have you tried adjusting the 3D Icons slider under the Scene / Gizmos dropdown?

18. CraigGraff

CraigGraff

Trying this with VRIK fails, and I get the following error:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolverVR.FixTransforms () (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolverVR.cs:149)
    EditorIK.Update () (at Assets/EditorIK.cs:22)

19. OllieCJ

OllieCJ

Dear Partel,

I'm having some trouble setting up the VRIK with Leapmotion. I've tried both the versions of the script from this thread (Orion & 'VRIKLeapMotion2'); Orion gives me the wobbly rotated hands that seems to follow worldspace logic and I'm quite unsure as to how to implement the updated script. Your input or a video would be much appreciated!

This is what I have so far. If anyone else can tell me what I need to be doing, or if I need to make any edits to the script, I'd be most grateful.
    O

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  20. tauceti38

tauceti38

Is it possible to use the interaction system with VRIK? If not, does anyone have recommendations for posing the hands correctly when picking up different objects?

21. sarahrothberg

sarahrothberg

Hello! I am working with VRIK + VRTK (with an avatar with a mixamo rig) and having a weird issue --- or maybe it's an issue with VRIK in general:

the arm length of my avatar is a bit short --- so if i extend my arms all the way out, my hand controllers extend past where the hands of my avatar are. Is there a workaround for this?

is there a tutorial up somewhere about how best to integrate VRIK with VRTK?

22. Boemak

Boemak

Hi,

Before I drop 80 Euro's on your, admittedly, amazing plugin.
    Will it do the following: I want to have the player controlling a mech which has arms. I want the Vive controllers to be used to control the arms of the mech, so that they track where you aim the controller. The problem is that the mech arms can't rotate as much as a human arm, so can I have constraints on the robot arm movement?

Another thing, the aim solver in your video, could I use it to have a crosshair which is controlled by gaze and have the IK system calculate the arm movement with the above mentioned constraints?

23. dwaldrum

dwaldrum

Having an issue with the integration with Opsive's TPC, and the Interaction system look at system. They don't seem to play nice together. Any idea's on how to deal with that?

24. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Just tried Morph3D with VRIK, just had to rotate the knee bones a bit in the editor so the legs would be bent in their natural bending direction. Moprh3D characters have their knees slightly, but unnoticably inverted.

You'll probably just need to make FIK update before cloth. You can do so by disabling the IK component in Start and updating it by calling ik.solver.Update(); before the cloth simulation updates. If you choose to update in Update, you'll also have to disable the Animator and call animator.Update(Time.deltaTime) before you update the IK.

Haven't thought about that, sorry. You can go to InteractionTargetInspector.cs and comment out the code in OnSceneGUI.

Hey, please use this code for VRIK:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using RootMotion.FinalIK;
    5. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    6. public class EditorVRIK : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     private VRIK ik;
    10.     void Start() {
    11.         ik = GetComponent<VRIK>();
    13.           ik.solver.SetToReferences(ik.references);  
    14.            ik.solver.Initiate(ik.transform);
    15.     }
    17.     void Update() {
    18.            if (ik == null) return;
    20.         if (ik.fixTransforms) ik.solver.FixTransforms();
    22.         // Apply animation here if you want
    24.         ik.solver.Update();
    25.     }
    26. }
    Hey,
    Please use this new version of LeapMotion VRIK integration.

Hey,
    No, sorry, InteractionSystem is exclusive for FBBIK, no easy way to make it work with VRIK. About posing objects, you could just make hand animations for different types of objects, can also do that in Unity with the Animation Window. When picking up, you can make a script that lerps the position/rotation of the hand target from it's default pos/rot relative to the hand controller to the object's pos/rot and back once it has been picked up.

Hey,
    The next version of VRIK has automatic hand stretching built in. Please send me your invoice number to support@root-motion.com, if you'd like to get it right away.

Hey,
    VRIK doesn't have customizable rotation constraints for the arms, sorry. You might be able to set that up by combining other types of IK solvers in the package, but that would be quite a lot of extra work.
    About the aiming, yes, there is a third person shooter example included in the package.

Hey,
    There was a bug with InteractionSystem's look at, that has been fixed for the next version, might be it. Please send me your invoice number to support@root-motion.com and I'll send you the latest.

Best,
    Pärtel

vivredraco likes this.
  25. MariusRu

MariusRu

I have a problem with LookAt IK and my MCS character: my character points his forehead/top of its head towards the effector, not its face. The head weight is set to 1. What's going wrong here?

Attached Files:

26. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    What is the pose of the character at start or when you first enable LookAtIK? It samples the pose at initiation to find out how the head bone is oriented and it presumes it is facing straight forward along the z axis of the LookAtIK component's transform.

27. MariusRu

MariusRu

Before start, the character is in a T-Pose. However, I also use FBBIK to bring the character into a sitting posture at start. I just disabled FBBIK, then LookAtIK works as expected. How can FBBIK and LookAtIK work together in such a setup?

28. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Is LookAtIK disabled at Start? Keep it enabled, just set ik.solver.IKPositionWeight (the master weight) to 0.

29. MariusRu

MariusRu

Yes LookAtIK is enabled at start.
    The problem is however resolved if I just set FBBIK -> Body -> Maintain Head Rot to 1.
    My bad I didn't check that before!

30. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

Hey there, I am trying to apply rotation limits to bones in a character to stop them going beyond kind of 'human' rotation limits. I've seen from your replies to others who have done the same that you have to apply the limits after the solver (FBBIK in my case) and thats great, so it works. However I am having a hell of a job figuring out the axis. What I want to do is assign this, on the component just before its applied (by calculating it off the bone or something), so I am trying to figure out how I can sus out what the axis should actually be... I can't even figure it out manually to be honest!

The first bone I am trying to limit is the arm, I dynamically set the effector to the position I want the character to 'point' its finger at. If you imagine an arm rotating from TPose the farthest I want it to be able to go is pointing straight ahead, and the farthest back just a tiny amount back from the TPose. About as far as you can move your arm without moving your shoulder/torso basically. Darned if I can do it tho!

Any ideas?

what would be *really* amazing is if I could limit the arm and forearm and hand differently, so that the arm never rotated into the body, but the forearm and hand could go a bit further, like if you point your left arm directly out in front of you and bend your elbow so your hand is parallel to your right shoulder. But thats probably too much to ask!!

31. Infrid

Infrid

AWESOME!

32. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    If you're looking to create a limit for the forearm, I guess you should be adding a RotationLimitHinge that looks like this:
    Screenshot 2017-10-06 12.05.29.png

If the question was on how to set the axis programmatically, you can find it like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. rotationLimit.axis = Vector3.Cross(ik.references.leftHand.position - ik.references.leftUpperArm.position, ik.references.leftForearm.position - ik.references.leftUpperArm.position).normalized;
    About ensuring that the elbow/hand never crosses into the body, it would be quite difficult to achieve that with rotation limits, there will always be combinations of rotations of the upper arm and forearm, even if limited, that might end up violating this. Might be easier to do with Bend Goals.

Best,
    Pärtel

33. CodemasterGames

CodemasterGames

Hey,

VRIK can animate characters feet but i have a question about it.

I'm using VRTK TouchpadWalking for my character controlling. If i use VRIK, can i animate easily my character's feets with using touchpadwalking?

Thanks

34. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Yes, I mean you can just set vrik.solver.locomotion.weight to 0, then the legs will be as animated.

Best,
    Pärtel

35. FuzzBeast

FuzzBeast

This is such a great product.
    That out of the way, I'm having a couple issues.
    The first is, I just re-built my character model, and am re-building my VRIK setup on my VR player. I set it up in the hierarchy the same, all the bones are laid out and everything (I even tried copying my old version off my other character and re-doing the bones, track points, etc.) but when I run the project, the hands and head seem to work, but the rest of the body doesnt seem to see any height changes, i.e. the character is not crouching, but instead dipping through the floor in a still standing pose.
    I cannot seem to figure out what could be causing it.
    The other issue (and it might be related) is that my character seems to be locomoting itself. The original character build seemed to do it "mostly" if I was holding another object, but that wasn't always the case. WHen it happens it seems to "fling" the player about 30 meters in a direction. This doesn't seem to be affected by object mass either. Often it would be a backwards direction that the character would be flung, but sometimes it was in another. The new character build (the one not crouching) seems to be doing it even more. I've narrowed it down to being something involving VRIK (it doesnt happen when it is off).

Edit: I should also mention that the new model is a Mechanim/Fuse model, and appears to have one more spine component than the VRIK solver does.

36. YvesAlbuquerque

YvesAlbuquerque

Hi Partel,
    My character is an FPS-like composed by two arms (no body, so I'm unable to use full body biped). I'm using CCDIK in order to hold different guns and make some simple procedural animations (as reload), however, only position is handled by CCDIK. In order to work properly, I also need CCDIK trying to reach a specific rotation (otherwise, the hand mesh can pass through the weapon parts).

I really think that I'm missing something. How to deal with this case?

Regards,

37. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Maybe it's something different somewhere in VRIK's settings. Try copy-paste component values from the working one to the other, then right-click on VRIK's header and "Auto-detect References". If that doesn't work, please send me that fbx to support@root-motion.com and I'll give it a try myself.

Hey,
    Try using the LimbIK component for the arms, that's what it was designed for.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

38. exrescueswimmer

exrescueswimmer

Hey Partel,
    recently bought finalik - nice work.
    what's the difference between the effector position and target? i.e. fbbik.solver.leftHandEffector.position vs fbbik.solver.leftHandEffector.target?

also wondering if there is an event or a way to detect when an effector reaches a position without using the interaction system?

to give it some context, i was looking at using finalik to climb a ladder -i proceduraly generated a list of vector3's and was just trying to move the effectors to the individual points. to do that, i need to know when the right hand is in position before i start the left hand position update...
    thanks!

39. nestorcaro

nestorcaro

Hello Partel,

I'm working in a VR experience using the VRIK tool from final IK.

I want to integrate the "Grounder" solution for adapting to different terrains, by following your tutorials. But it doesn't work for VRIK,
    I'm testing different combinations of your scripts (picture) unsuccessfully. Could you guide me how to do it please?
    VRIK grounder.png Thanks,
    Nestor

40. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Target, if assigned, just overwrites effector position before each update. If you have no target assigned, you can still just use ik.solver.leftHandEffector.position = something;

You can detext if effector reaches a position by checking ik.solver.leftHandEffector.positionWeight, if that's at 1, the hand will be at effector.position.

Hey,
    Did you check out the "VRIK (Grounder)" demo yet?

Best,
    Pärtel

41. claudius_I

claudius_I

Hi
    I don´t know if a problem, but why my hand is upper than the interaction target? (I followed the tutorial)

******Fixed*****
    Sorry xD

Attached Files:

42. BernieRoehl

BernieRoehl

I'm trying to make my avatar sit down, while their head and hands are still tracked.

I'm able to make my avatar walk around within the tracking space using VRIK. I can move them through the scene using the thumbpad by moving the [CameraRig]. All of that works fine.

When I want my avatar to sit down, I essentially teleport them to the chair and play a sit-down animation with a mask that limits the animation to the legs. This all works fine if I use vrik.solver.SetIKPositionWeight(0) so the avatar's body is controlled entirely by the animation. However, I want the user's upper body to still respond to the head and hand trackers.

I've tried leaving the position weight at 1.0 and setting vrik.solver.locomotion.weight to zero, but that doesn't seem to work -- the legs are still partly extended.

Am I missing something?

43. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    There is a seated example in the "VRIK (Basic)" demo, basically the trick is to lower the tracking space (if the player is actually standing up) and use a pelvis target to pin the hips to the seat.

Best,
    Pärtel

44. claudius_I

claudius_I

hi
    i have a problem when the character pick up a box with 2 hand
    in the example is paused
    can i move the character?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  45. BernieRoehl

BernieRoehl

Great, I'll give that a try. Thanks as always, Pärtel.

46. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Are you using the InteractionSystem for picking that up or some other method?

47. claudius_I

claudius_I

Yes i using Interaction System.
    the box is picked up, but i want move the character (with the box) after that.
    if i click in pick up (in interaction object) works but the box in taken with only one hand.

Attached Files:

48. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Just purchased the latest version 1.6. It's very nice but I am having trouble using VRIK and animations.

It appears that my character's feet are floating/bobbing when the animator is enabled.
    No matter what animation I use or how I configure the layer mask it just won't get any better.
    I need to have the animator enabled for custom hand and face animations but at the same time I need to use VRIK. And the two are not cooperating very well.

Character's feet with animator enabled (VRIK acts strange, hand/face animations are ok).

Character's feet with animator disabled (VRIK works very well, but hand/face animations are disabled).

It's very frustrating that I can't just completely mask out the feet and have masks for the hands only.
    Whenever I set my animator to "ignore" the feet, legs and root it appears to break VRIK all together and my character just sinks through the floor:

Could anyone please help me solve this?

[Update]

Just created a T-Pose animation and put it on the base layer of my animator (only root and feet mask). Which looks better than anything I have tried thus far:

Is this a good way to use VRIK and animations together? Or are there better ways?
    It would still be great to have an idle animation for the whole body.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  49. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Is it possible to detect when the feet touch the ground using VRIK? I would like to add footstep sound effects.

Thanks!

50. rasto61

rasto61

VRIK:
    Screenshot (252)_LI.jpg

Partel-Lang and CloudyVR like this.