Search Unity

FINAL IK - Full Body IK, Aim, Look At, FABRIK, CCD IK... [1.0 RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Partel-Lang, Jan 15, 2014.

1. khos

khos

Many thanks Partel,
    My code is not actually doing anything specific for networking, but the main player object must have the networking components added and at start up I do some islocalplayer checking, your IK code is as originally downloaded. On the local machine the IK stuff works but the IK movemts do not appear to be synced across machines..Hope it is ok to ask, when you refer to "sync IK targets" what are those exactly? Are those the limbs in my human mesh's rig, e.g. spine/hips/leftam etc etc? I will look at syncing those with networktransformchild component.

EDIT: Just noticed that my normal/legacy animations are working ok over the network...without any code addition.. I'm not sure if there is anything wrong with my network code/code as Partel suggests, everything works, just not the Final IK stuff (yet :)). My player objects are behaving well over the network, but not Final IK parts.
    Has anyone in the forums ever got Final IK to sync across the network/unet? Just curious.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  2. khos

khos

I've managed to get things working YAY! but now I need to try optimise things a bit :)
    In my own script that manipulates the IK I had to sync variables with SYNCVARs and COMMANDs.. not that easy but after some messing about it works.

gormro likes this.
  3. virror

virror

This new VRIK thing seems really promising, but i cant really find much information about it? How does it work, whats different compared to the "old" IK and so on? Does it work with UMA?

4. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Still working on the documentation, also making a technical blog post about it. It works with UMA, its twice-trice as fast as the old IK, has some more VR-specific options, procedural locomotion for side-stepping and turning.
    There's also this panel talk from OC3 where I answe some questions about it.
    Anyway, for now, if you have some more specific questions, just ask here please.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

5. virror

virror

Sounds great! Will wait for the docs before asking more questions : )
    Will check the video.

6. Gruguir

Gruguir

Hey @Partel-Lang , congrats on VRIK, i wonder if there is a way to prevent an user from cheating by physically going through walls ? or is it something i have to handle locally ?

7. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

In Dead and Buried I believe we used a raycast and faded camera to black if that returned true.

8. Gruguir

Gruguir

But, at least in my setup, it doesn't prevent the avatar's rigidbody from passing through over physic elements ?
    I mean, if the user physically move behind a wall, the avatar's rigidbody will follow. With your previous vr setup, neck was stretching, while the body was blocked by collision.
    Maybe i could use the locomotion offset in some way.
    Edit : i'm thinking of limiting the locomotion weight based on the distance beetwen rigidbody and camera.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  9. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Has any body got this working with Dynamic Bone?

10. virror

virror

So, i think im getting how to set this up, seems pretty simple. But how do i set it up for UMA? Is it the same as for regular IK or do i need to use some similar function?

Edit: I use the AutoDetectReferences in a script to set up the references, but some of the rotations seems off, but i cant find something similar as the old UMA setup thing.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  11. hopeful

hopeful

That's an interesting question, as I'd think the two plugins would fight each other.

12. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

The problem I see is that since dynamic bone's root is the chest or a pectoral, when IK moves the body around the dynamic bone is not moving along.

I inspected the translation of the pectoral and the values are not changing, I dont know how the IK solver is translating it.

Here, I made a short video so you can see the problem

I also contacted the creator of Dynamic Bone, still pending any response.

13. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

I just got an answer from the creator of Dynamic Bone, the solution is very simple, just have to go to "Project settings -> Script Execution Order", then add the "Dynamic Bone Script" and set it to execute after all IK Scripts. This will reposition the Dynamic Bone Joint after the IK Solvers.

I hope this is useful for anyone.

Geriko, Partel-Lang and hopeful like this.
  14. virror

virror

Great tip : )

15. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi,
    There is something, but I hid it from the initial release because I felt it needed some more work.
    But you can try it if go to IKSolverVRLocomotion.cs and find "public bool blockingEnabled;"
    Remove [HideInInspector] from that and the 3 other params that follow, then set them enabled and set up the layers in the locomotion editor. That will block the feet and the hips from entering colliders on the specified layers.

Hi!
    Basically you add VRIK in runtime just like that:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ik = gameObject.AddComponent<VRIK>();
    2. ik.AutoDetectReferences();
    Which I believe you already figured out. VRIK doesn't have the limb orientation definitions like FBBIK though. What rotations exactly seem to be off?

Hey, glad you got you answer already. Yes it is just an update order thing.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

Gruguir likes this.
  16. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

17. virror

virror

Maybe im doing something wrong, but it does not look as expected.
    Without enabling VRIK:

With VRIK:

Attached Files:

18. Gruguir

Gruguir

I also noticed that (issue with the shoulders) using MakeHuman rig

19. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    See how your targets are rotated relative to the actual bones. Different rigs have different bone orientations, so the targets need to match your avatar. The easiest ot make a target is to move the HMD anchor to the eyes, duplicate the head bone and parent it to the HMD anchor and assign as head target.

Best,
    Pärtel

20. virror

virror

But there seems to be other strange things going on, like with the legs that suddenly becomes separated and the shoulders? Do you have any tips on how to integrate this with animation, so the char walks around with you?

Edit: Here is a image
    showing the problem even if the hands are correctly rotated:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  21. virror

virror

Ok, got some help from another guy, and to solve the shoulders:
    vrik.solver.leftArm.shoulderRotationMode = IKSolverVR.Arm.ShoulderRotationMode.FromTo;
    vrik.solver.rightArm.shoulderRotationMode = IKSolverVR.Arm.ShoulderRotationMode.FromTo;

Not sure why the legs have such offset though.

22. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi!
    Could you send me that rig please so I could take a closer look?
    support@root-motion.com or just PM.

23. virror

virror

Its a regular UMA rig, everything i did was to spawn an UMA and using a script to enable the VRIK component after its done, very similar to how it was done for the fullBodyIK.

24. KospY

KospY

I bought VRIK and it's really great. It's much better than my old implementation, nice work !
    However, I have some problems to adjust the body to the player size / height. I have some ideas but I'm not sure if this is the correct way to handle this:
    1. First, I get the height and the arm lenght by asking the player to stand in T pose and press a button
    2. I set the x,y and z size of the avatar in a way that the avatar head will be at the same height than the player HMD (need to figure how however, maybe comparing the head bone and hmd height and do some maths).
    3. After that, I thought the character avatar will be ok (you know, the Vitruvian Man from Da Vinci...), but it doesn't seem to be the case, at least for me. My problem is the arms are too short and the avatar hand cannot reach the position of my real hand when I extend my arm. It's maybe related to the position of the head IK so I tried to move it backward or forward but it cause the avatar body to not be aligned with my real body.
    4. The only way I see to fix this is to dynamically adjust the length of the arms, but I'm stuck here. I can get the length from the T pose but how to adjust the avatar arms length? I tried to move the position of some bones in a late update but I get strange result (wrong arm bending)
    In summary, that will be really useful to include some kind of calibration process in VRIK, or at least a tutorial to explain how to do it :)

25. virror

virror

If you are using a regular model, im not even sure if this is possible without getting artifacts.
    Im doing the exact same thing, but using the UMA character system, and thats made for dynamic body modifications so its a perfect fit : )

26. KospY

KospY

I'm using a regular model.
    I downloaded UMA2 last week but I didn't get the time to try it, I will need to check this.
    Thanks for your help :)

27. usupator

usupator

Pärtel first of all I'm super impressed by your demos. But I have one question before buying (probably a silly one, I'm very new at unity and some "obvious" things still escape me.
    My question is this: I have some MCS characters that I need to pose (not animate just pose - time frozen story) some sitting on a couch reading and looking half asleep, other stopped in the middle of a conversation, the kind of thing that happens when time stops.
    Can I use Final IK to pose my character like this? so that they are "just so" (I'm a perfectionist when it comes to characters.
    Any info, advice etc will be most welcome and again bravo for this amazing work and the low price! I look forward to buying, hoping it's compatible with my goal)
    cheers!
    Anton

28. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi!
    I tried adding VRIK to UMA2 in one of their demo scenes, everything seemed to work. It might be something with the animation that VRIK is not happy with. Could you send me the animation clip you are using so I could check it out?

Hi!
    You can find the arm length of your model by adding getting distances from bone to bone. Then if you could find playerArmLength from sampling the T-pose, you'll be able to divide playerArmLength by modelArmLength and use that as a multipler. Multiply the localPositions of the forearm and hand bones in LateUpdate by that value.

Hi and thanks!
    Technically yes, but it would be much more efficient and probably easier to use normal animation for that. Or is there a specific reason you can't use that?

Best,
    Pärtel

29. virror

virror

After some tweaking it seems to work ok now : )
    Any timeframe for the documentation? Would be nice with some explanation on the features and how they are supposed to work.

30. Lyje

Lyje

Hi Partel, I'm doing some arm IK, setting the target for the hand. In an effort to match realistic arm joints, I put a hinge constraint on the elbow joint. At this point the hand stops rotating to match the target, and becomes 'fused' to the arm. Any idea why this is happening? Seems to happen across multiple solvers.

EDIT: Furthermore, even if I remove the hinge component, wrist rotation does not return. This is even after restarting Unity.

31. manuel_rochon

manuel_rochon

Hi Partel,
    thanks for your great product and for the new VRIK. I am working on a player VR avatar system using FullBodyIK, but now it looks like I may switch to VRIK.

Quick question:
    With VRIK, Is there any reason why the locomotion system has the legs spread wide with the default settings.
    Seems like I get better results by setting the "Foot Distance" between 0.1 and 0.2. Is this the right attribute to play with to fix this?

I know you're working on it, but it would be great to get some kind of documentation for those attributes, even if it's very rough bullet points.

Thanks!

32. AdanGrotesco

AdanGrotesco

Hi! I am testing the first person demo with recoil and using a similar method for my character, al works ok with both, but have A LOT of stuttering even in little scenes. How can i solve this?

33. manuel_rochon

manuel_rochon

Actually I just realized that you already have those as tool tips when overring the mouse over the attributes. dah! ;)

Partel-Lang likes this.
  34. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey, yeah, it will be ready rather soon. In the meanwhile, there is quite a lot of information in the tooltips.

Hi!
    Which IK component are you using?

Hi!
    The default value was just something that looked good in Dead and Buried I guess. It depends so much on the look and proportions of the character.

For bullet points, please take a look at the tooltips on the variables.

Hi, did you mean the demos stutter too? Could you send me a profiler screenshot or something? What kind of machine are you using?

Cheers,
    Pärtel

35. NanMa

NanMa

Hi Partel,
    I just purchased the Puppet Master, and eager to try it out. But for some reasons, the package cannot be downloaded here. It keeps giving error "Recv failure, connection was reset". I tried re-download some of my previous purchased packages, and they can be downloaded without any problems, so it shouldn't be my network connection issue. I asked my wife trying to download it on the PC at home, and it works there. I'm travelling out of town and won't be back for short time. I hope I could use the package on my laptop asap. Please help!
    Thanks,
    Nan

36. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, thanks for the purchase!

Just PM me your invoice number and I'll send it to you.

37. maxxa05

maxxa05

Hi Partel,

I'm curious, is there a place where I could get all the release notes since 1.0? It's deeply integrated in our game, and I'd like to know if it would be worth our time to update it to 1.5, but I'm unable to find release notes before 1.4 -> 1.5. We're mainly interested in performance optimizations, so if those updates have no performance gains and no useful features for our project, we will keep going with 1.0.

38. marc11

marc11

Hello Partel,
    I have a question regarding the FullBodyBipedIK.
    I noticed it works by adjusting a set of predefined end-effectors (e.g. Left Arm, right arm, Right Leg, etc. )
    Is it possible to add extra controls to the middle of the chain? Let's assume, for instance, that I have some extra targets for the elbow with a smaller positional weight.
    Thanks

39. thegreatmiasma

thegreatmiasma

I recently purchased FinalIK and everything seems to be working. However, Im working on an online game and I am having an issue with height. The player's character model height works well for the player however the networked model does not. When the player goes down stairs the model follows them down the stairs but the networked version acts as though only the hands and head are going down so other players only see an awkwardly crouching model. How does FinalIK determine ground height? I'm sure my issue is connected to it being a VR implementation so the only targets are head and left and right arms. But if it works for the non networked model FinalIK is understanding ground height somehow. Do I need to apply a grounder script? Do the grounder scripts work with VRIK?

40. NanMa

NanMa

No worries. Just tried again this morning and got it downloaded and imported. Looking into the demo sessions now. Thanks for the help.

41. silentneedle

silentneedle

@Partel-Lang What grounder do you suggest to use (performance wise) for humanoid NPC's?

42. PatrickKa

PatrickKa

I have been using the included pilot model for prototyping VR IK and it has been working just beautifullyt. Now I bought another model and I tried to set everything up and I'm so close from crying. I'm trying for days to make it work in a good way. I think I did everything right but it still seems to be broken somehow. For instance if you look at the ground the model will start to spin like crazy. I figured that I can reduce the Rotation Weight value to 0.5 to stop it but I think that is more a hack than an actual fix. I also got the feeling that the whole movement and rotation looks very bad in comparsion to the pilot model. The arms are bending in a strange way and also does not seem to make a lot of a difference to change some values in VR IK.

I'm not into modelling nor into rigging and I got no clue what is wrong with VR IK or the model itself... I really would like to use the model because it matches my game perfectly. Ragdoll animations and everything is working fine however...

Edit: I think I figured it out. I really hope so. Probably some of the settings for the model in Unity have been wrong. I did re-import it tons of times and did run some configurations tons of times and it looks way better now.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  43. thegreatmiasma

thegreatmiasma

Fixed. Needed to sync Camera Rig and character model.

44. Dinin

Dinin

Hi,

I'm using FinalIK for positioning the left Hand to a weapon. So i set the Left Hand Effector Target and weight. This works fine until i also use the Right Should Effector (for simulate the recoil). the left hand does not follow (keep staying at position without right shoulder effector) the target anymore.

Is there some way i can solve this?

Thanks and regards
    Dinin WithoutRightShoulderEffector.jpg WithRightShoulderEffector.jpg

45. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi,

Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/FinalIK Change Log.pdf

Hi,
    No, but you can use the Bend Goals to change the bending direction of the limbs.

Hi,
    Are you syncing the position/rotation of the root Transform of the character? Sounds like it is being moved locally, but not synced over to the remotes.

Hi, using GrounderIK with LimbIK components for the legs would be the fastest solution in terms of performance.
    But if you also need to use FBBIK or BipedIK for other stuff, then use GrounderFBBIK or GrounderBipedIK accordingly.

Hi,
    I'd take a look if you could PM that model.

Hi,
    Have you tried the Recoil script? Take a look at the "Recoil" demo scene.

But basically the problem is, if you change right hand position, rotation, it will change where the left hand should grip so what you used to set for the left hand is not right anymore. So you'll need to set left hand pos/rot not relative to the right hand bone, but right hand target pos/rot.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

silentneedle likes this.
  46. Gruguir

Gruguir

@Partel-Lang I use vrik with steam vr, just to let you know that final ik throws errors when entering in the steam vr menu (menu button).

Edit : also, i try to use vrik with other components, i'm just starting to try to have feet positionned procedurally on ladder bars, not sure how to, nor if it is possible as of now ?

CompareApproximately (det, 1.0F, .005f)
    UnityEngine.Quaternion:FromToRotation(Vector3, Vector3)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.Leg:Solve() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolverVRLeg.cs:237)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolverVR:Solve() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolverVR.cs:399)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolverVR:OnUpdate() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolverVR.cs:277)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolver:Update() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolver.cs:61)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IK:UpdateSolver() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Components/IK.cs:27)
    RootMotion.SolverManager:LateUpdate() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/Shared Scripts/SolverManager.cs:113)

fRoot >= Vector3f::epsilon
    UnityEngine.Quaternion:FromToRotation(Vector3, Vector3)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.Leg:Solve() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolverVRLeg.cs:237)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolverVR:Solve() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolverVR.cs:399)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolverVR:OnUpdate() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolverVR.cs:277)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolver:Update() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolver.cs:61)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IK:UpdateSolver() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Components/IK.cs:27)
    RootMotion.SolverManager:LateUpdate() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/Shared Scripts/SolverManager.cs:113)

transform.position assign attempt for 'NetworkedVrPlayerV7(Clone)' is not valid. Input position is { NaN, -0.008576, NaN }.
    UnityEngine.Transform:set_position(Vector3)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolverVR:WriteTransforms() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolverVR.cs:287)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolverVR:OnUpdate() (at Assets/Plugins/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolverVR.cs:280)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  47. Gruguir

Gruguir

About the final IK/steam vr menu issue, i got ride of it by disabling 'pause game when dashboard is visible' in SteamVR_Render script.
    And i got some results with Grounded Biped IK + Biped IK + VRIK, but the legs are twisted.

48. rrh

rrh

Suppose I want to make sort of a tail, that hangs down from something floating. Like, the player is directly controlling the position and rotation of the head, and everything else hangs below it. What is good approach for something like this?

My first thought was to use a FABRIK on the head and, put all the segments in the tail as the bones, but it seems to be anchored in space instead of following the head position, and it also ignores the head's rotation? Is there some other approach I should be taking?

49. nasawhy

nasawhy

I just bought this and am very excited with all that it offers. It really looks amazing. One thing that I'm unclear on how to do is to use something like the Interaction System with a non-biped character? I've got a dinosaur in a scene and when I trigger an event, I'd like the dinosaur to eat a particular object, which can be dynamically placed. So in other words, what would be the best way to get the dinosaur's head to be where I want it and make that transition smooth (from whatever animation the dino might be in at the time? I tried following the Interaction System video, but it's pretty clear that it requires a full body biped IK setup. Any hints for me?

Edit: I figured out that with the CCDIK if I modify the solver.IKPositionWeight using interpolation I can get what I'm looking for!

But is CCDIK the solver I should be using?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  50. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi,
    I'll look into that bug, thanks!
    You can also use the foot targets of VRIK for the ladder.

Try making BipedIK update after VRIK by disabling both and calling vrik.solver.Update() and then bipedIK.UpdateBipedIK() in LateUpdate.

Hi!
    It's not a kinematics problem, rather a dynamics one, so it is not covered by FIK. There are some assets for that like Dynamic Bone in the Store.

Hi!
    Yes, you could use CCDIK or FABRIK, whichever works better for your dino.

Cheers,
    Pärtel