Search Unity

FINAL IK - Full Body IK, Aim, Look At, FABRIK, CCD IK... [1.0 RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Partel-Lang, Jan 15, 2014.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi - I spoke to the author of ragdoll studio and he says it would only be a minor update of your package to support both, which would be great when you get time :) saves us a lot of hacking...

2. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi!

Yes, it will take a bit of time to prepare the next update and push it through the store, but if anyone is in a hurry, please send me your invoice number and I'll give a link to the latest package.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

3. VagueL

VagueL

Hi Partel,

I'm making a door with the InteractionSystem and I have a question/feature request:

Opening and closing my door requires 4 different InteractionTargets for the left hand. I skimmed through some of the source code and from what I understand, an InteractionObject will only handle multiple InteractionTargets if they have different EffectorTypes.

Is it possible for me to keep my own array of the InteractionTargets and pass the ones I want to use when Starting the Interaction (without modifying the source code)? and if not, would you be able to add this feature?
    Thanks!

4. TRoNDaNeflin

TRoNDaNeflin

I think this is my first post on this thread so, cheers to everybody and a special compliment to Partel - I'm a big fan of your work and the way you interact with the Final IK community. You're an inspirational person and I really admire your fantastic work and the way you deal with the guys and their questions.

Now, I have an issue using Grounder with my UMA. Well, I don't think it's because my character is a UMA. It's more a layer mask problem.

Basically, when I choose the layer Ground, which is the ground :p (terrain and all ground floors), everything works perfectly. But if I add for example Default, the character just 'levitates' as you can see in the picture. And there are things that aren't ground that I need the character to IK (like the stone slope you see in the picture).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

5. Seith

Seith

@Partel Lang Hi Partel, I'm starting to test Final IK for possible use on Ghost of a Tale and so far it looks awesome!

I have a couple of questions: I'm using the BipedIK component and it works fine but I was wondering what's the difference with the FullBodyBipedIK component? In other words what are the advantages of one over the other?

My second question is related to an issue when I move the right hand 's solver's target. The upper and lower arms bend appropriately but the clavicle remains in its default (animated) position/rotation. Is there a way to make the clavicle be a part of the IK chain, so that it would also rotate a little?

Thank you again for creating such a great asset!

Edit:
    Just to clarify, I'm just talking about the hand target being moved forward at chest height (ie: knocking on a door), NOT about the arm being completely stretched forward and pulling the whole body.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  6. Danirey

Danirey

Hi Partel…

Sorry for taking so long. Finally i have this running fine. The problem was(i don't know how exactly) that i was using the hand bone to place at the weapon grip position, if i add an empty game object as a locator in the hand and place it right, it works just fine. So let's move forward…. I'm facing another challenge in my game. I want the characters to be able to climb vertical ladders. I have it roughly working just with animations… But the position of hands and feet should be a bit better. Since the game is a TBS with a top down view, it needs to be a bit more professional… Have you any idea for an easy ik placing of the character hands and feet to achieve this. I don't understand all your solvers too well, so if you know where to start, it could be awesome!
    The point could be just make a hand move only vertically as the character goes up?. I don't know… and i can't find too much reference for this thing out there…

Thanks a lot!

7. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi!

Can you tell me, so I better understand the problem, why do you need 4 different InteractionTargets for one hand?
    If it's because you have multiple characters who all need their own targets, you can use the "Target Tag" of InteractionSystem. If it's not empty, the character will only use targets with the specified tag.

Hey, welcome and thanks a lot for the kind words, I very much appreciate it :)

It's probably just that the character's own collider (or maybe ragdoll colliders on the bone)s are on the Default layer, so the raycasting Grounder does will conflict with it. Make sure the layers of any colliders of the character are not included in the Grounder solver's layers.

Hey, I remember seeign Ghost of a Tale a while back, looks like a very beautiful and inspiring project :)

The difference between BipedIK and FullBodyBipedIK is basically that the former is faster, but the latter has full body capability, enabling for a wide range of procedural animation effects. So you could pull the entire body from a hand or adjust the pose using effector.positionOffset.

If you set FBBIK solver iterations to 0, it will disable full body solving and make it behave basically the same as BipedIK, solving just the limbs and with almost the same performance.

The clavicles are not used by BipedIK nor FBBIK (by default). BipedIK uses LimbIK solvers for the hands, and they can handle only 3 bones. FBBIK can use the clavicles only if you add the ShoulderRotator.cs component to the character. It will force FBBIK to solve twice per frame though so you need to see if that is what you can use performance-wise.

If you wish to use BipedIK and clavicles, you can also just rotate the clavicle bones in LateUpdate (before the solvers update) to simply rotate towards the IK target:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public BipedIK ik;
    2.     [Range(0f, 1f)] public float leftClavWeight = 0.5f;
    3.     [Range(0f, 1f)] public float rightClavWeight = 0.5f;
    5.     Transform leftClav { get { return ik.references.leftUpperArm.parent; }}
    6.     Transform rightClav { get { return ik.references.rightUpperArm.parent; }}
    8.     void LateUpdate() {
    9.         RotateClav(leftClav, Quaternion.Inverse(leftClav.rotation) * (ik.references.leftUpperArm.position - leftClav.position), ik.solvers.leftHand.IKPosition, leftClavWeight * ik.solvers.leftHand.IKPositionWeight);
    10.         RotateClav(rightClav, Quaternion.Inverse(rightClav.rotation) * (ik.references.rightUpperArm.position - rightClav.position), ik.solvers.rightHand.IKPosition, rightClavWeight * ik.solvers.rightHand.IKPositionWeight);
    11.     }
    13.     // Rotate a clavicle bone towards an IK target
    14.     void RotateClav(Transform clav, Vector3 axis, Vector3 target, float weight) {
    15.         Quaternion fromTo = Quaternion.FromToRotation(clav.rotation * axis, target - clav.position);
    16.         clav.rotation = Quaternion.Lerp(Quaternion.identity, fromTo, weight) * clav.rotation;
    17.     }
    Hi!

I could think of all kinds of methods involving IK and raycasting and what not, but the easiest of them really would be to just fix the climbing animation to match the ladder.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

8. Mister-D

Mister-D

congrats on reaching version 1 of final ik pärtel!!!

seansteezy and Partel-Lang like this.
  9. Seith

Seith

Fantastic! Thank you very much for the explanations, Partel! :)

Partel-Lang likes this.
  10. Danirey

Danirey

I think that wil be the easiest way, indeed….

Let's go for it then. :)

Thanks Pärtel!

Partel-Lang likes this.
  11. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi I'm new here, I would like to know what can I do with Final IK before purchase.
    Currently I'm trying to build a 2.5D platformer game with 3D characters, can I use Final IK to animate models(like MoCap)?

12. VagueL

VagueL

Sorry, it's actually 3 InteractionTargets (not 4) for one character to open a door
    The targets are:
    1. Front Door Handle - To open the door from the front
    2. Back of Door Handle - To open the door from the back
    3. Back of Door Middle - To push the door closed (you don't use the handle when closing it)

You use the left hand for all interactions because the right hand is holding a weapon.

13. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi and welcome!

Please see this FAQ page about animating models, it explains it in more detail.

I see. The intended workflow for this would be to create an independent InteractionObject for each of those 3 interactions. That way you can also adjust and fine tune the curves for each interaction, as I imagine, pushing the door closed and using the handle require different curvatures for the IK weights.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

zhuchun and VagueL like this.
  14. VagueL

VagueL

Thank you Partel. I've got it working now.

Partel-Lang likes this.
  15. xiaoyu_5911

xiaoyu_5911

I want to use the FinalIK to touch ball when play touch ball animation in valleyball game.

Though I make my effect to touch ball when play touch ball animation, but it always has some offset, and the hand dont touch the ball.

I has do the move logic, and detect ball fly path and time.

So I think FinalIK can help me??

Thanks.

my name is mike

16. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, Mike.

Please take a look at the "Soccer Kick" demo, it's basically the same thing, just set it up for the hands.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

17. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I was wondering if I can use Final IK for procedural animation changes on a walk cycle, such as adding hip sway and such? I saw Effector Offsets, but I wasn't sure if I could also change rotation too...

18. SVTiare-Tom

SVTiare-Tom

Hi Partel,

Just purchased Final IK and I can say that it is 10/10 awesome!
    However I'm running into issues on the Full Body IK, where my rig would get deformed in some hilarious ways.
    Is this a issue with my rigging or have I missed something??

Heres some screenshots
    deformedRig.PNG deformedRig_2.PNG

Appreciate any help!

19. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi! Yes, there is also a script included called the Amplifier. It can be used to amplify the horizontal motion of the thigh bones relative to the hip bone, it will result in more hip sway. :) There is a demo in the package with Amplifier examples and also examples of combining it with effector offset.

Hi and thanks for the purchase!

Please see this video (from 1:30) and make sure the arms are bent slightly in their natural bending directions. If this doesn't help, please send me that rig to support@root-motion.com and I'll take a closer look.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

20. SVTiare-Tom

SVTiare-Tom

Hi Partel,

Video reference worked!
    My problem was exactly as you said, where (due to my terrible modeling) FBIK couldn't figure out my natural bend direction!
    Thank you so much, you are a true life-saver :D

Partel-Lang likes this.
  21. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

:eek: Final-IK 50% off in the MADNESS SALE!

sluice and chiapet1021 like this.
  22. sluice

sluice

Oh wow, I had this on my wishlist for like 6 or 7 months now but I didn't have an immediate use for it.
    Now, I have no excuse to not pick it up...

@Partel Lang, I suspect this will sell like crazy at 50%! :D

Partel-Lang likes this.
  23. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@Partel Lang, hows the performance when it comes to networking... say using your system for an mmo?

24. MaxPower42

MaxPower42

Is it possible with this to animate a rigged mesh procedurally only, without having any animations, including walking etc.?

25. seansteezy

seansteezy

I just grabbed this package on sale ;) and am blown away at what it can do, and what I can do with it, and why I didn't get it before! Mecanim + IK is great, tons of amazing examples, then add VR and you can create some serious stuff! Thanks Partel!

Partel-Lang likes this.
  26. SimStm

SimStm

Hey Partel, I need some help.

I'm making a top-down shooter demo and I'm trying to achieve a weapon aiming/movement effect like the ones used in Dead Nation (I made a video showing the game movement system):

Actually, I've made a script to put an "Aim Target" attached to the mouse, who can moves around according to the camera position, that way I can make the "Aim Target" from Aim IK always point at the mouse position.

I tried to use the "FBBIK Third Person Shooter" Dummy Demo (Character Controller 3rd Person Script) and the "Grounder Demo" Character (Character Third Person Script) with strafe movement in my test but when I rotate the player, the controllers just mess up.

How can I make the player object rotates (facing) to the direction of the "Aim Target" and, at the same time, moves in strafe mode like the video I've shown?

Thanks.

seansteezy likes this.
  27. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi!

Normally, as IK is just cosmetic by nature, each client should calculate their own IK for all the characters. But it really depends on what you need to do, which solvers to use and so on...
    I have this old video about FBBIK performance.

Hi!

This FAQ page explains this in a bit more depth.

Hi!
    Have you played around with the good old Angry Bots project? I think it is a very good example of that kind of character animation and locomotion. You can just add AimIK on top of it to enable the character to aim up/down and the Grounder to take care of vertical foot placement/alignment correction.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

28. Nadan

Nadan

Hi!

I was wondering if Final IK could help me with my problem. I have a scenario with a character with FullBodyBibedIK and Ragdoll Utility. The character stands on a castle balcony when a giant rock rolls over him. The character turns into ragdoll and falls down from the balcony to the ground from height - so there is a long drop.

This is the character on the ground after the fall, as you can see because it fell so fast part of it is underground. It's inside the floor collider. I also made the floor collider very thick but it didn't help.

Any tips how to solve this?

29. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi!

Well you could either make the ground even thicker or decrease the fixed timestep in the Time Settings or increase physics solver iteration count or all of the above. Final IK can't really help you here, it is fully a physics issue.

Pärtel

30. FunnyStage

FunnyStage

Hi~ How to get Old Version Asset(Unity4.6)?

31. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi!

Please send me your invoice number to support@root-motion.com and I'll give you a link to the last version.

FunnyStage likes this.
  32. seansteezy

seansteezy

There are a couple things you can try for this. You may be able to put a large trigger collider just above the ground, that will set the collided objects velocity to zero so basically it stops their free fall momentum right above the ground, where gravity will take care of the rest. You gotta slow the speed down somehow. You can do a raycast from the falling object to the ground and when it gets close to the ground, start messing with it's velocity or even when it gets to be like .01 from the ground, stop the the objects gravity or velocity or set it's position on the y axis to be just above the ground. You kind of create a ground above the ground to break their fall.

Nadan and Partel-Lang like this.
  33. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is this referring to the effector animator concept video that is on your youtube channel? Is that never being done now? That was looking cool.

I also have some questions:

1) I saw a video with 10 full IK characters running on an iPhone 4 at 20fps, which is pretty cool. Am I right to assume that running, say, 2 characters with the simpler Biped IK would be no problem, even for the iPhone 4, right? (I assume the performance is comparable to Unity's own IK)

2) Does the 4.x of Full IK version have the same features as the current 5.x one? We are still on a project that is using 4.x so it would be useful for us there.

34. SimStm

SimStm

Oh, I totally forgot the AngryBots project, my bad. hahaha
    I will look at to see what I can use from there, and make the appropriate changes with Final IK scripts.

Thanks.

35. SVTiare-Tom

SVTiare-Tom

Really??

And I just grabbed it before the sale xD
    Anyway looking forward for the future of Final IK :D

Expect lots of questions from me, as this incorporates perfectly into my project :)

Partel-Lang likes this.
  36. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi
    Really interested in your package! Is it possible to simulate a linkage like this?
    positions.gif
    Cheers
    Michael

37. TechCor

TechCor

EDIT: Just realized my problems were due to having two copies of grounder/limbs pointing to the same object. Need to wake up and grab the coffee.

Looks like everything works great! ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    Partel-Lang likes this.
  38. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi! Yes, the effector animator concept is that. I'm not saying it will never be done, It just needs Unity to open up a bit more.

1) Yes, it shouldn't be a problem. Even with FullBodyBipedIK if you set it's iteration count to 0, it will not calculate the full body and behaves similar to BipedIK, with similar performance.

2) The last version (0.5) has about 95% of the features as the current one. Read the release notes from the Asset Store page to see what exactly was added.

Hi! I don't think so. The closest I got is this, but it can only take a simple tree structure, no connecting the branches.

Actually I suggest you use PhysX. If you get rid of the dynamics by forcing the rigidbody velocities to 0 and disable gravity and connect key points to kinematic rigidbodies with fixed joints, you get yourself a free kick-ass energy-transferring multi-effector IK solver ;). Joints used to be more reliable in Unity4 though, here's a Unity4 example for you. :)

Cheers,
    Pärtel

AcidArrow likes this.
  39. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Thanks Pärtel,
    I get Final IK anyways at this sale!
    Cheers Michael

Partel-Lang likes this.
  40. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

Can this be used for 2d bone animation or only 3d?

41. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Only CCD, FABRIK, Aim and LimbIK can be used in 2D.
    FullBodyBipedIK can not.

42. Thoreandon

Thoreandon

Im lost.
    I bought it yesterday and watched some of the videos.
    Now when i try out some stuff, i get some behaviour which i cannot judge.
    I did the Interaction Basics with the Test Gui Script. When my Character takes the weapon, he falls over, like if the weapon is very heavy, but i used the same data as in the video.

Another thing is, that in your IB Video at 3:35, you get a light-blue box around the Hand, which you drag and rotate with the mouse.
    With my Char, the blue Box appears somewhere in the air, where the Hand was in T-Pose, before i add the Full Body Biped. In Runtime, the Char is in an Idle Animation.
    I did not get an Error when adding the component to the Char and in edit Mode, everything is perfectly aligned.
    I hope you can help.

EDIT: Solved question 2 by myself. I have to set Right Hand Effector Position Weight to 1.

One more:
    Handposer does not work either. I debugged the Script and it iterates through the children, but the new positions and rotations are set but ignored. I dont know if it has something to do with the Char that falls over. Could not find a solution for this behaviour yet.
    Edit: Ok, got it, Poser-weight was missing. Seems that most problems comes from missing weights.
    I havent understood this system yet. I will check this out tomorrow.

So after all the only thing thats left is why my Char will fallover as soon as he picks up the weapon. I guess it has something to do with weights...:-O

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  43. Bangzulu

Bangzulu

Hi! I'm fairly new to unity and therefore not sure if this is a silly question but i have a lot of animations that only move in place. Is it possible to use this asset to make those in-place animations work as they where driven by root motion?

44. seansteezy

seansteezy

Haha I'm doing the same thing and this has been a huge help! Never thought to look at the angry bots demo either :)

45. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi and thank you for the purchase!

Yes, in Final IK everything is about the weights. That guarantees you can always smoothly blend in/out of all procedural animation effects.

Can you send me a screenshot or video or something of the character "falling over" to support@root-motion.com?

Hi!

No, but you might want to check out this video instead.

Great! :)
    I wish they updated it to Unity5 and Mecanim.

But basically... when you look at the player, it has only 4 locomotion animations { run_forward, run_backward, run_right, run_left }. If you stand still and just move the mouse around, you'll see that the character is rotated not always, but after every 90 degrees. Then they just rotate the spine bone to make him aim at the mouse in that 90 degree range and that's all there is to it (you can use AimIK instead of rotating the spine bone for more flexibility).
    The exact same logic applies when he is running. Wonderful simplicity. :)

You can set up the locomotion in Mecanim using just a 2D blend tree that looks like +. Don't put idle in the middle, it will get in the way when fading quickly from forward to backward and left to right. Use a transition without exit time to switch between moving and standing.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

seansteezy likes this.
  46. Thoreandon

Thoreandon

I found out that its the Rigidbody Component, i have to check 'isKinematic'.:)

47. Martin_H

Martin_H

I'm on the fence about buying final IK. I want to have walking mechs (2 legged for now, possibly also 4 or 6 legged later on) and vehicles with movable turrets in my game. I use Blender for modelling/rigging. I want to make sure the animations look convincing and mech feet don't slide over the floor and are properly grounded even on rough terrain. Does this sound like a job for Final IK and should I go for procedural walking animations or author the animations in Blender and then apply Final IK on top of that? Are any examples for procedural walking animations on mechs/robots included in the package? I remember seeing a video of a spider-bot walking on youtube but I don't know if the example has been released or not.

48. seansteezy

seansteezy

That's awesome info, thanks Partel! I'm gonna have to fire up Unity4 sometime and check it out in more detail.

I found that using a combination of everything included in your demo has lead to a very nice character controller for a top down shooter like in Dead Nation. By using the Grounder demo as a base, you can bring in the aimIK from the FBBIK demos third person controller, even the boxingIK, swingIK too for melee combat. But the way the character controller is setup, it just has a forward aim animation for your torso, but also on the base layer it has both grounded locomotion and a strafe mode, which you can activate when your torso rotates a certain amount of degrees from the center of an arbitrary transform point. Using the demo weapon from the AimIK Third Person demo, you'd have to add a AimTransform, a LeftHandEffector for the FBBIK, and an Elbow Bend Location too nested inside each weapon so they look super good with hand placement when setup as effectors in the FFBIK. I'll post the whole thing when it's finished so others can see how to do it using just the elements from the IK Demos.

Final IK is amazing. I am really enjoying using it and seeing the results and how flexible it is. Awesome stuff Partel. Thanks!

TRoNDaNeflin likes this.
  49. EpicIndustries

EpicIndustries

First of all, really awesome tool, great job!

One problem I am encountering though is a runtime error. It kicks in after a while (not sure why, doesn't seem to happen all the time or often), but then just spits out this error hundreds of times (presumably on update)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKEffector.OnPreSolve (Boolean fullBody) (at Assets/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKEffector.cs:213)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolverFullBody.ReadPose () (at Assets/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolverFullBody.cs:208)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolverFullBodyBiped.ReadPose () (at Assets/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolverFullBodyBiped.cs:506)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolverFullBody.OnUpdate () (at Assets/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolverFullBody.cs:184)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IKSolver.Update () (at Assets/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/IKSolver.cs:47)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.IK.UpdateSolver () (at Assets/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Components/IK.cs:27)
    RootMotion.FinalIK.SolverManager.LateUpdate () (at Assets/RootMotion/FinalIK/IK Solvers/SolverManager.cs:110)

Any ideas what that could be?

50. TechCor

TechCor

Hey there,

Is there a way to change the bend direction of a limb IK?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015