Search Unity

FINAL IK - Full Body IK, Aim, Look At, FABRIK, CCD IK... [1.0 RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Partel-Lang, Jan 15, 2014.

1. siriusye

siriusye

Partel

Could I ask what kind of full body IK algorithm you've used? I am doing an c++ 3d animation application.

Thank you very much!

2. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey, thanks :)

Yes, they will all be exposed as much as possible.
    I'm planning to look into the possibility of knee/elbow/head effectors for 0.5.
    But in the meanwhile, I added knee/elbow bend goals to the inspector:
    FBBIKScreenshot.png

Hi, Siriusye,

Its actually a hybrid of multiple algorithms, FABRIK for the most part, but also some basic law of cosines and linear constraints for some flexibility and accuracy.
    Good luck with your application!
    Pärtel

3. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Hi Pärtel! I guess that means the Full Body Quadruped/Generic IK solver won't be in that update, right? Do you have an ETA on that one (a loose one would do - e.g. fall/winter/spring)? :) Cheers W

4. mcurtiss

mcurtiss

Hey Partel.

Is there a demo of a very simple grounder setup using GrounderIK with a CCD leg? I've been trying to make a very simple one for testing purposes and can't get it to work out.

Could joint orientations be playing a role? If i could get my hands on a very simple scene I could reverse engineer it.

Thanks,
    Mike

Edit: I just replaced the limbIK in the Grounder Demo with CCDIK and it works fine...Something is just super goofy with how the grounder is orientating my stuff.

Edit2: I sent you a message with a link to download the test project I am working on. Hopefully you can take a look at it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  5. Otactu

Otactu

I tried (without success) to mimic your spider but I'm stuck at the "end"

I've made a rigged spider with a CCDIK and a Rotation constraint in Unity. But I'm not able to use the spider leg script,...

(I use all the script like in your video)

Have you planned to do a little tutorial about this feature ? It would be fantastic !

And Thanks for your amazing work :)

6. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi,
    Yes, not yet, hopefully in fall though, but there might be unforeseeable problems as always. :)

Hey, just answered you in the conversation thing.

Hey, and thanks!

If you send me that spider I can help you rig it up. There are many ways to make a spider with IK. You can also just animate it walking on flat ground and then use the Grounder as the bot in the Grounder demo, might even end up better looking, faster, more flexible. :)

Cheers,
    Pärtel

7. tr1stan

tr1stan

What's the difference between Biped IK and FBBIK?

8. Alphalpha

Alphalpha

I believe Biped IK is a collection of simple IK elements with a Biped-oriented interface, whereas FBBIK is a complete system entirely designed around bipedal characters.

FBBIK is more flexible and powerful than Biped IK, but more expensive performance-wise.

9. tr1stan

tr1stan

Thanks Alphalpha!
    I have a problem with HitReaction demo. It's not working if the character using animated physics. When animated physics is also enabled, the character will rapidly jiggling. How to resolved this?

10. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi!

What Alphalpha said (thanks!), but in 0.4 you will be able to set FBBIK iteration count to 0. In that case full body will not be solved, but just the body position and simple IK for the limbs so it will be nearly as fast BipedIK while you can still use the effectors. This will make it very easy to optimize the solver for characters in the distance.

Hi, I have already found and fixed that bug, if you'd PM me your invoice number, I will send you the latest version.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

11. tr1stan

tr1stan

Thanks Partel Lang. But how to send a PM in the new forum. I can't find a PM button :(

12. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Apparently its called "conversation" now. Click on my name and "Start Conversation"

13. tr1stan

tr1stan

OK conversation stated.

14. SupremeBeing

SupremeBeing

Hi Partel

Problem with javascript project:

My Unity project is mainly Javascript files. So I had to put the 'RootMotion' folder inside my 'Assets/Plugins' directory so that it compiles first - this lets me call FinalIK functions from javascript files. My project works ok when I press play in the editor but when I try to build the project I get 5 compilation errors that all include this line:

"The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found."

Also when the FullBodyBipedIK script is attached to an object I can't see any of the variables in the editor - instead it says 'Multi-object editing not supported'.

Can you help me with this?

15. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi!

With js you also have to take all the editor scripts back out from the Plugins folder and place them to an "Editor" folder (that is not under Plugins). In FinalIK all editor scripts end with the word "Inspector" and are found in multiple Editor folders across the package.

Regards,
    Pärtel

16. SupremeBeing

SupremeBeing

Thanks - now its working great.

17. vToMy

vToMy

Hey I have question -
    Is it possible to use the original animation transform with the IK?
    I mean I want to use IK on the hand, where the IK rotation is the original animation rotation for the hand plus X degrees.
    Does the IK completely override the animation transform? If not how can that be achieved?

18. Ony

Ony

EDITED: Woo! I figured it out. Basically I just needed to do this in the script attached to the object with the IK:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. GetComponent("FBIKDrivingRig").effectorTargets[0].positionWeight = 0.5;
    That sets the weight for Effector 0 to 0.5. That's it.

I'll leave my original post below for anyone who's wondering what I'm on about.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Original post:

I'm using Javascript for my project, and Final IK is working awesomely. I'm using a variation of the "FBIKDrivingRig" script on my characters and I need to set the weights for effectors in real time via script.

There are examples in the docs how to do this with C# but I haven't been able to make it work. Can anyone tell me how to set weights on effectors in the script by calling them from a javascript script? Like a sample Javascript example that can set the weight?

The example in the docs shows:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ik.solver.leftHandEffector.positionWeight = 1f;
    I need to do this from a javascript script that's also attached to the character, instead of C#. Please note that I don't really understand a bunch of C# so I probably won't understand an answer that refers mainly how to do something in c#. :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  19. DerekMcKinley

DerekMcKinley

Hi @Partel

Your work is fantastic but there is something I do not like is that you use a capsule collider to your charactermotor. This has its advantages but also creates undesirable situations such as when placed in an outgoing feet are suspended and the avatar appears to be flying, does not rise very high steps without jumping and other stuff.

I would like that instead of lowering or raising the pelvis better the rootbone (tranform) and avatar movements are determined by the rootmotion (handled by spript), so if either foot is touching the ground, gravity is applied or find a way so that there is always gravity.

if it is possible to prepare a package or at least tell me how I can achieve, thanks.

I leave here an example.

mech.jpeg

Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  20. tr1stan

tr1stan

Hi Pärtel I got a problem with Grounder. I have a FBBIK attached to a character, this character is controller by unity's build-in Character Controller and moves on terrain system. When control the character movement with FBBIK grounder enabled there's a chance the character will fall bellow the ground, like the whole terrain collider is gone. Do you have an idea how it's going on?

21. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi!

Yes, the LimbIK by default maintains the animated bending direction of the arm (when using the Animation bend modifier with bendModifierWeight set to 1).

Hi, Dereck

I'm not really into making character motors, I just have the capsule one for the sake of the demo. But the capsule method has it's disadvantages as you said and I agree, but so do the alternatives. The method you described would be great for traversing terrain, but how would it handle collisions with walls and obstacles?

Hi, Tr1stan,

Maybe some of the ground layers are not included in the layer mask?
    If the character just falls off completely, its not the Grounder, the grounder only adjusts the character's position as much as it's Max Step allows.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

22. vToMy

vToMy

Thanks for the answer!
    But what I want to achieve is to keep the animated rotation of the hand, not the arm, in a FBBIK (or just BIK) - and append some rotation to it.
    I can't seem to find a way to do it?

23. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Oh, I see.. with FBBIK you can just weigh in the "Maintain Rotation Weight" slider for the hand if you expand "Mapping" from the component inspector. Then if you wish to apply some additional rotation to the hand after FBBIK is done, you can get a call from FBBIK like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. public FullBodyBipedIK ik;
    4. void Awake() {
    5.    ik.solver.OnPostUpdate += AfterFBBIK;
    6. }
    8. void AfterFBBIK() {
    9.    ik.solver.leftHandEffector.bone.rotation = something * ik.solver.leftHandEffector.bone.rotation;
    10. }
    Is that it or did I miss the point again? :)

Pärtel

24. DerekMcKinley

DerekMcKinley

This is very easy, just using boxes and capsules colliders throughout the avatar.
    As animfollow, when hit with something is a mixture of activated Animation + Ragdoll + FullBody-IK.

Then please be so kind as to tell me that I have to take into account or give me a package:)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  25. vToMy

vToMy

About the "maintain rotation weight" - never actually figured what's the different between that and "rotation weight". I mean, isn't setting "maintain rotation weight" to 1 the same as setting "rotation weight" to 0? Isn't it redundant?

And about the solution - thanks! I will try it, but I have to ask - will applying the rotation after FBBIK is done won't create artifacts? I mean I want the IK to take into account that additional rotation so it will compute correct arm transformation (since the arm is affected by the hand rotation).

26. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

I am working in parallel on a solution that is more or less what you are describing. Thing is, you cant rely on just bone colliders for wall contact, you probably dont want your character to smash into each wall, but stop before contact as usual so you'd still need a capsule for the root. One solution would be to keep that capsule hovering at about hip height so it wouldn't interfere with stairs and stuff.

The difference between maintain rotation weight and rotation weight is that the former only rotates the hand back to where it was in world space before solving FBBIK. The latter makes the hand rotate to handEffector.rotation and with it also makes an educated guess on in which direction the arm should be bent to best fit that target rotation.
    You can also get full control over the arm if you rotate the hand bone where you need using the code from my last post and also use a bend goal (see the Driving Rig demo scene to see how they can be used) to determine the bending direction of the arm.

Regards,
    Pärtel

27. DerekMcKinley

DerekMcKinley

Good point, the character could get stuck between walls, perhaps using the boxes as triggers and to detect the wall is pushed with rigidbody.addForze, not to get stuck, it may be a solution.

Glad you're looking for a solution, thanks for answering.

28. pStar

pStar

Partel,

Final IK looks, and sounds amazing. I would buy it today if it had elbow/knee effectors. I read you added bend goals, but I think that's just for aiming the joint direction... is that right. Thanks for the awesome work.

~P

29. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Ive put this down to my todo list for 0.5, atm I'm really busy with getting 0.4 out there..

Hi and thanks! :)

They are also in the todo list for 0.5 (if I manage to make them work). Can you tell me what kind of stuff would you need them for?

Cheers,
    Pärtel

30. khos85

khos85

Hi, I want to thank Partel for his support, I have only scratched the surface of this really nice asset, but already I am able to use it in my trial bike game, see video of some how I used it:
    , I'm rather happy :)
    Thanks Partel for your support!

31. Daeroth

Daeroth

Hey Partel!

First of all - really nice job !

Actually I have a problem : Im trying to get Razer Hydra controllers to work with my character , so while im moving my character around with the Joysticks i want my character to be able to move around the hands at the same time . I think i might have set up something wrong because when I activate the LeftHandEffector for example and try to walk in any direction at the same time the effector seems to be stuck in the world somehow and the whole character drags towards that effector .
    Is it possible to make those active effectors a child to my character so they move with it?

32. Makingames

Makingames

@Daeroth
    Why don't you add a couple of empty children to your character, and set the appropriate effector's position and rotation to that child through a script? I don't know if that'll work for your needs, but I just tested it, and it seems to work. Also, Partel will most likely have a much more intelligent idea since he made the system.

Thanks,
    Jacob

33. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey, thanks for stopping by and saying thanks, its always great to see what you guys are up to with Final IK! :)

Hi!

Its probably because you are applying the Razer input in world space so the hand targets will always stay in place no matter where the character goes. You can convert the hand targets to the character space by:

Code (csharp):
    2. ik.solver.leftHandEffector.position = character.TransformPoint(leftHandRazerPosition);
    ...and rotations by:

Code (csharp):
    2. ik.solver.leftHandEffector.rotation = character.rotation * leftHandRazerRotation
    Thanks @Makingames for the assistance :)

Cheers,
    Pärtel

34. trieveonc

trieveonc

how do i manipulate the hitreaction script to make it work with raycasts instead of guibuttons
    }
    public void OnGUI() {
    Debug.DrawLine(debugWeapon.position, hitT.position, Color.green);
    foreach (HitPoint hitPoint in hitPoints) {
    if (GUILayout.Button(hitPoint.name)) {
    hitT = hitPoint.transform;
    hitPoint.AddForce((hitT.position - debugWeapon.position).normalized);
    }
    }
    }

i tried replacing the GUI.layout statement with physics.raycast nothing is working....anyone have sample code?

35. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi!

Basically you have to add colliders to the bones first so the raycasting has something to hit. Then you can see if the RaycastHit.transform matches the transform of any of the HitPoints and add force if it does.

I sent you a more detailed answer via mail...

Cheers,
    Pärtel

36. SoBrian

SoBrian

Hi Partel,

I had the same issue and I'm glad to see there is a solution to the script. On the subject of scripts...I couldn't find the "aiming system 2 pistols" script in your fantastic FinalIK Add On. I can see it in the demo video and it would go a long way to solving an issue I'm having with a core game mechanic.

Am i missing it or is is a separate external script. Thanks for any help.

37. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi, SoBrian, and thanks! :)

You can find that script from this page, I should probably add it to the package as another demo..

Cheers,
    Pärtel

38. SoBrian

SoBrian

Thanks Partel! That really helps.

39. Faikus

Faikus

Hi Pärtel,

Awesome asset, thanks a lot!

I would like to use Final IK to control the user's avatar when using the Oculus Rift. The next version of the Rift, DK2, which is being shipped to developers later this month, has positional tracking, i.e. it tracks not only the rotation of the user's head, but also the head's sideways/front-back movement and such. Would it be possible to add the head as an effector to FBIK? You wrote in the documentation that it can be done by moving the shoulders and rotating the head, but I don't think this will result in as realistic upper-body movement as if the head was part of the ik solver chain, because the head can move relative to the shoulders, so it is not clear from the location of the head how to move the shoulders. I think if there was an easy way to get full head IK then many VR developers would jump on this asset.

Keep up the good work!

supererogatory likes this.
  40. frankmat

frankmat

Hiya!

I'm using Final IK with UMA but I am a bit stuck.

I followed this tutorial

I have this working fine. I can obviously get UMA to create the character dynamically and then drag it over to the "Uma Character" public variable within the inspector and works fine.

Where I am stuck is what do I know when UMA creates multiple characters? I have 11 characters being created by UMA... and I want to apply the UMAFBBIK script to each one via script without obviously dragging it in the inspector.

How do I achieve this?

41. khos85

khos85

Hi, I'm waiting for my dk2 kit too :) cannot wait, what I would like to suggest is if you get a human model working with Ik and oculus rift, would you share it with us as a sample?

42. Faikus

Faikus

43. Rhinoid

Rhinoid

A beginners question here.
    I made a 'cube man' model with a basic skeleton in it.

I loaded it into unity, and I can move all the limbs and see the cube man transform.

Now I add the scripts->rootmotion->ik->full motion biped' component, and I get a confusing error in the pane:

I have set the root node specifically, but nothing changes. It seems to have auto detected all bone references fine.
    How can I figure out what I need to change?

thanks

Attached Files:

44. Rhinoid

Rhinoid

I'm one step further. It turned out that the spine was not set (which had 'size=0')

now it gives the error: "FBIK chain length is 0. Can't initiate solver'

45. khos85

khos85

I want to animate a hand to go up or down in final ik.
    Previously Pärtel you kindly helped me with a body offset etc but how can I control limbs such as hands?
    Does all movement of limbs have to scripted? or can I use the unity animator to quickly do this? If yes I cannot see how as you cannot animate when in running mode.
    Apologies if this was asked before, I just want to be sure/have current info.

46. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi Faikus, thanks and sorry for the delay! (been on a short vacation :))

I have it already scheduled in my todo list (for 0.5), to see if the head and knee/elbow effectors can be added. Until then I can't give you a better answer, sorry.

Hi Frankmat,

You could use a method like this on all the character game objects:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void AddFBBIK (GameObject go) {
    2.         // Auto-detection of the bone references
    3.         BipedReferences references = new BipedReferences();
    4.         BipedReferences.AutoDetectReferences(ref references, go.transform, BipedReferences.AutoDetectParams.Default);
    6.         // Adding the FBBIK component
    7.         var ik = go.AddComponent<FullBodyBipedIK>();
    9.         // Set the FBBIK to the references. You can leave the second parameter (root node) to null if you trust FBBIK to automatically set it to one of the bones in the spine.
    10.         ik.SetReferences(references, null);
    12.         // Using pre-defined limb orientations to safeguard from possible pose sampling problems
    13.         ik.solver.SetLimbOrientations(BipedLimbOrientations.UMA); // The limb orientations definition for UMA skeletons
    14.     }
    So you need a way to get the array of character game objects created by UMA, maybe like this...:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Animator[] animators = root.GetComponentsInChildren<Animator>();
    3.         foreach (Animator animator in animators) AddFBBIK(animator.gameObject);

47. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

I actually have very high hopes on the STEM system by Sixense, as their sensors are positioned pretty much exactly where the FBBIK effectors are. I really need to figure something out for the head, you are right. :)

Hi, could you please post a screenshot with the References expanded and also the hierarchy of the box skeleton?

Hi!

You could animate an empty game object with the Unity Animation window, then just use it as a target for the hand effector.

So you'd want to create an empty gameobject, parent it to the root of the character. Then go to the Animation window, create a new animation clip, save it somewhere. It should automatically add the Animator component. Then create the target gameobjects for the hands, parent them to the gameobject created earlier. Add a small script that sets the effector positions to their respective targets (ik.solver.leftHandEffector.position = leftHandTarget.position). Play the scene and you will be able to animate the targets using the Animation window (you can do it in play mode).

Cheers,
    Pärtel

48. Rhinoid

Rhinoid

I've used your biped and now everything works.
    I'll pass the biped on to the animator as a template ;^)

49. lushdog

lushdog

**EDIT: Solved! PositionWeight at 1.0f overrides PositionOffset **

Hey Partel,

Having issue with effector.positionOffset.

I'm playing around with Final IK. I can pose bipeds by setting effector.position but when I try to make a movement over time 'animation' I can't seem to get effector.positionOffset to move the effector.

Code (CSharp):
    1. void LateUpdate()  {
    2.         if (isOffsetUpdate.HasValue && !isOffsetUpdate.Value) //pose
    3.         {
    4.             ik.solver.bodyEffector.position = spineTarget.position;
    5.             ik.solver.rightFootEffector.position = rightFootTarget.position;
    6.             ik.solver.leftFootEffector.position = leftFootTarget.position;
    7.             ik.solver.leftHandEffector.position = leftHandTarget.position;
    8.             ik.solver.rightHandEffector.position = rightHandTarget.position;
    9.             ik.solver.leftShoulderEffector.position = leftShoulderTarget.position;
    10.             ik.solver.rightShoulderEffector.position = rightShoulderTarget.position;
    11.             ik.solver.leftThighEffector.position = leftThighTarget.position;
    12.             ik.solver.rightThighEffector.position = rightThighTarget.position;
    13.             this.transform.position = bodyTransform.position;
    15.             ik.solver.rightHandEffector.rotation = rightHandTarget.rotation;
    16.             ik.solver.leftHandEffector.rotation = leftHandTarget.rotation;
    17.             ik.solver.rightFootEffector.rotation = rightFootTarget.rotation;
    18.             ik.solver.leftFootEffector.rotation = leftFootTarget.rotation;
    19.             this.transform.rotation = bodyTransform.rotation;
    20.         }
    21.         else if(isOffsetUpdate.HasValue && isOffsetUpdate.Value) //incremental movement
    22.         {
    23.             //ik.solver.rightHandEffector.positionOffset = rightHandTarget.position;
    24.             ik.solver.rightHandEffector.positionOffset = new Vector3(2.0f, 3.0f, 7.0f);
    25.             Debug.Log("Offset move");
    26.         }
    27.         else //no movement
    28.         {
    30.         }
    31.     }
    In the prototype code above the character gets posed but the right hand doesn't move at all. "Offset move" is in the console every frame so I know the call is being made.

I can manipulate the right hand (and all other) effectors in play mode.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  50. Faikus

Faikus

Cool, looking forward to 0.5!