Search Unity

Games Final Graphics for my game (Tech-Demo Included)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ravel, Aug 31, 2020.

?

How much would you pay for these RAW Car physics?

1. 10

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. 20

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. 30

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Post How much...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ravel

Ravel

Hello.

I think I finally have found the solution to my GFX problem. I was missing night-time lighting. So I began my research on what makes night-time good. Turns out you need many many lights and a clever way to approach the subject. First of all I pumped up the per-pixel light count to 64, as any NVIDIA GPU above 520 should be able to handle quite a few per-pixel lights.
    Turning up the per-pixel light count also did not cut it, I needed ambiance. So I chose SlightlyMad's volumetric light solution for my case, as it does the job fairly well.
    Now for global radiance, I looked at the Stochastic Screen Space Reflection solution, but that didn't quite cut it. The striding was off. I wrote my own, to a point where I actually found another solution, the author had all-ready finished the fix, that I was about to apply (Thanks!) Al-tho it did not work properly, so I had to make it work. The projection was correct but color blending was not showing any reflections. So I added a piece of magic that made everything look really glossy...
    For some reason the solution creates a vertical flame like artifact if there is no anti-aliasing enabled. Adding AA to the mix and it all looks sweet now.

There are also some post processing effects at play here, such as motion-blur, HDR-Glow, ColorGrading etc.
    And some photographic effects, such as fringe and bokeh(not visible, but it is included and works well)

I included a more basic like vehicle physics that enable you to drive around the scene.
    The physics package will be released shortly as a separate entity to MoDyEn. It will be the lightest alternative and will also work on mobile!

The final solution looks something like this:
    TESTTESTTEST 8_31_2020 8_19_43 PM.png TESTTESTTEST 8_31_2020 7_45_51 PM.png TESTTESTTEST 8_31_2020 8_02_17 PM.png TESTTESTTEST 8_31_2020 8_03_39 PM.png
    And here is the video:

And here is the demo:
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/pnenyc

Please be kind and share your PC's hardware specs and the average FPS that you get while using the application. Thanks!
    Your thoughts on the lighting setup and physics are also welcome!

Best Regards,
    Ravel.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    mgear, cs747 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  2. Ravel

Ravel

Created another demo for you to try out, this time with a configuration file, so you can finetune the handling to your liking. :)

If you have time to reply, then please let me know what the estimate FPS for your machine is. Thanks!
    To me, in daytime setting the app works at 60-70 fps on a MacBook Pro 2012 Bootcamp. That is a i7, 8gb ram, gt650m.
    Screenshot:
    New_Look.PNG
    StreetDrift 9_4_2020 12_09_52 PM.png
    StreetDrift 9_4_2020 12_13_41 PM.png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  3. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

By default when I opened the application it was pinned at 60fps. I went into the Graphics menu and turned every single thing I could to 'enabled'. After that I seemed to be averaging around 58fps and in some spots 60 fps. There wasn't a noticeable performance difference with that adjustment and it all seemed to run very smooth. I have an older graphics card in this machine that is quite a bit underpowered compared to more modern graphics cards.

AMD Ryzen 7 8-Core 3GHZ
    32GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660ti

The car physics themselves were a good start. My car felt very sluggish to accelerate, so much so that something felt wrong. The turning was good, until a certain angular velocity and both front and rear wheels acted as if my car were sliding on ice. Now I understand this may be a very specific tuning for drift cars and the like. I'm not sure? I would recommend creating a more universal generic car setup, something akin to how a default sports car in Forza might feel to drive on the first go. This way we can test it as a standard car. Or, even better provide a menu with options to select different car tunings.

Ravel likes this.
  4. Ravel

Ravel

Hi JamesArndt,
    Thanks for trying the demo and sharing the specs!

You are definitely right on the handling. The steering is to responsive and the controls page was unplugged (as was the audio page, embarrassing...)
    I'll get a fix ready soon with some handling presets to chose from.

5. Ravel

Ravel

Yeah I just recently updated the link's URL, you can re-download, to check out the changes.
    I made some fixes in the aerodynamics compartment, made a softer suspension setup, looser antiroll-bars and now the configuration menu works.
    Try all 0 values for drifting, and something like 10,5,5,1 for more racing steering behaviour. The system is a little wonky right now.. I will probably redesign this.

JamesArndt likes this.
  6. Ravel

Ravel

... hmm, could some of Unity's tech staff explain me, how come my program not work on certain hardware? As I noticed, the program works for every pc that I own, be it weak ass i3 with 2gb of ram at 15 fps or a i7 with 16gb of ram with 60fps.

But some of my contacts, report that the game simply runs, but the car is stuck on ground and is undrivable.
    So how come the ill2cpp, or what ever it is called, program works? I mean how can I ship a game, when it only works on my pc's. Whats the point of that?

7. matidzeramz

matidzeramz

the link does not work any more

8. Ravel

Ravel