Search Unity

Feedback Final color output node

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by Brady, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Brady

Brady

I've run into several instances where I need to modify the final result of lighting operations, and it seems like it would be a more flexible architecture to, instead of having a handful of special, magical "master" nodes in which all the lighting takes place, have a final output color node that serves as the terminus of the shader. This would mean the lighting nodes such as PBR, Unlit, etc, would have an output that could either feed into this required terminus, or instead could feed into additional logic that processes their output before outputting the final color result.

Unless I am missing something, as it is, there is no way to add effects onto the result of the lighting. Your custom logic can only process/produce one or more *input* values to PBR, Unlit, etc, but not the output. This is very limiting.

EDIT: A good example of a common use case of needing to modify the final lighting output is custom fog effects.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. neoshaman

neoshaman

THIS

Brady likes this.
  3. oobartez

oobartez

We're having the same problem with transitioning from built-in to URP in a large project - without it there is no way for example to apply a grayscale filter at the last step.

dog_funtom and Brady like this.
  4. VisualDima

VisualDima

Same problem!
    Need something like finalcolor

Brady likes this.
  5. Sinterklaas

Sinterklaas

I couldn't agree more. Being able to modify the color after lighting has been applied would be an extremely useful feature.

Furthermore, from what I know about ShaderGraph's internals, I doubt it'd be very hard to implement either. I imagine that the extra nodes that would come after the output node would just get compiled into the bottom of the fragment shader, after the output node calculations, but before the return statement. The only issue I can think of is that it would require an additional output node, which might confuse new users. But I personally feel that the increased flexibility makes it totally worth it.

Brady likes this.
  6. D1234567890

D1234567890

7. Qriva

Qriva

@ali_mohebali or any unity dev, can you shed some light on "Surface Shaders" feature?
    How exactly it going to be implemented and what does it actually do?

8. Oxeren

Oxeren

Qriva likes this.
  9. Qriva

Qriva

10. theteadrinker

theteadrinker

+1 need something like final color in the built in surface shaders

florianBrn likes this.