Search Unity

Question Filtering Probuilder mesh vertices

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by stychu, Jan 27, 2021.

1. stychu

stychu

Hello there,
    I've stopped upon small problem when it hits me with big performance and Can't seem to find good solution.

Given this image: I have two Probuilder meshes (red and white)
    Unity_d0QOTuADu3.png

Legend:
    Red - path mesh
    White - terrain mesh
    Green points - vertices of the terrain mesh
    Yellow line - shows how many vertices are at the same position (4)
    Brown line - shows omitted vertices

I'm trying to find out the best way to filter out terrain probuilder mesh vertices that don't share the vertices with the path probuilder mesh. Secondly, I want to somehow collapse shared vertices on the terrain mesh as there are 4 for each vertex position which is unnecessary calculations later on but can't find out a way to do it.

I'm using Probuilder API via script to achieve this goal.

This is the code that generated meshes on the image.

Code (CSharp):
    1. void Start() {
    2.     quads.Add(ShapeGenerator.GeneratePlane(PivotLocation.FirstVertex, 1, 1, 1, 1, Axis.Up));
    3.     quads.Add(ShapeGenerator.GeneratePlane(PivotLocation.FirstVertex, 1, 1, 1, 1, Axis.Up));
    4.     quads.Add(ShapeGenerator.GeneratePlane(PivotLocation.FirstVertex, 1, 1, 1, 1, Axis.Up));
    6.     quads[0].transform.position = new Vector3(0, 0, 2);
    7.     quads[1].transform.position = new Vector3(1, 0, 2);
    8.     quads[2].transform.position = new Vector3(2, 0, 2);
    10.     ProBuilderMesh path = ShapeGenerator.GeneratePlane(PivotLocation.FirstVertex, 1, 1, widthCuts, heightCuts, Axis.Up);
    12.     path.transform.position = new Vector3(2, 0, 3);
    14.     ProBuilderMesh terrain = CombineMeshes.Combine(quads, quads.First()).First();
    16.     List<Vector3> terrainVertices =terrain.VerticesInWorldSpace()
    17.      .Where(vector3 => !path.VerticesInWorldSpace().ToList().Contains(vector3))
    18.      .ToList()
    19.      .Select(
    20.         vector3 => {
    21.           Instantiate(gameObject, new Vector3(vector3.x, 0, vector3.z), Quaternion.identity);
    23.           return vector3;
    24.         }
    25.       ).ToList();
    26.   }

Is there a better way to find out only vertices that are not shared with path mesh vertices and how to reduce amout of vertices for mesh??