Search Unity

Filter Forge

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Obscurity, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Obscurity

Obscurity

I just read an article about this in the latest Game Developer magazine and thought I'd share. I did a forum search and it didn't look like anyone else had mentioned it. It seems like an excellent product for creating nice procedural textures. I'm thinking of getting it myself since they have a holiday discount.

http://www.filterforge.com/

2. BenH

BenH

3. Obscurity

Obscurity

Genetica does look just as powerful, but Filter forge is significantly cheaper it seems. Plus it has HDR lighting built-in.

Now for super-cheap, by which I mean free, I played around with .werkkzeug3 TE and it's not too bad. The big downside with it is that it's not as intuitive and to really make use of it you have to shell out big bucks for the texture generation library. But .werkkzeug3 TE version itself is free to use on any of your projects. You can thank the European demo movement (specifically the guys at .theprodukkt) for this tool.

http://www.werkkzeug.com/

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

5. Obscurity

Obscurity

Hey, that's awesome. I had never heard of that one. Thanks for the link, bigkahuna!

6. taumel

taumel

Has anyone tried out FilterForge?

How fast is it and how many CPUs are supported for the basic/standard version?

7. FilterForge

FilterForge

Obscurity, thanks for mentioning our product :)

Filter Forge is relatively fast on modern computers / small resolutions and is relatively slow on legacy computers / large pictures. The Basic and Standard versions are limited to dual-core (or two single-core) CPUs.

Feel free to visit our forums or contact us directly with any questions.

8. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Hi FilterForge and welcome to the Unity forums. I see on your site that you're working on a Mac version, any idea when we might expect it to hit the streets?

9. FilterForge

FilterForge

Hi bigkahuna!

Unfortunately no fixed date yet. Much coding still has to be done, hopefully we'll make it into the year 2008.

10. FilterForge

FilterForge

Filter Forge for Mac OS X has been released. This should be interesting for all Mac texture-makers.

A short list of features: seamless textures up to 65k*65k pixels, HDRI lightings, support for bump/normal maps, optimized for multi-processor computers, and nearly 6000 ready-to-use filters.
    Filter Forge requires Mac OS 10.4 or higher.

Sorry for bumping an old thread ;)

11. artzfx

artzfx

Can recommend FilterForge. I have had it for some months now and use it all the time. It's also a lot of fun to use.

12. FilterForge

FilterForge

Filter forge 2.0 Beta has been relesead.
    What's new:
    • Full HDR Support;
      Bomber Component to spray image particles;
      Gamma-aware workflow;
      More features to come.

13. brisingre

brisingre

I don't suppose there's a point-by-point comparison of FilterForge and Genetica, or even a side-by-side review anywhere?