Search Unity

Filmic Tonemapping DELUXE - Now with Eye Adaptation (High Quality)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by G-Mika, Apr 2, 2015.

1. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Hello,
    Im wondering about the Bright (Shoulder) setting of the tonemapper. Im using v2.0.
    Im expiramenting with different settings, but the bright setting does not seem to have any affect when in Color HD mode. It works for the other modes, though. Do you know if this setting has no effect in Color HD mode?
    Thanks

2. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Im really struggling here with the new updates.
    Im trying to set values of the curve via a script during runtime , so the the tonemapping is dynamic (just like they do in the movies). But setting one value causes other values to change.
    Example:
    Setting m_MainCurve.m_WhitePoint = 5.5;
    causes the Mid (crossover) value to change.

You can see the results here:

tonemapper.jpg

The mid value has changed.

Is the culprit the OnGUI() function.

Thank YOu,
    j

PS, I really do like the new HDR sharpness effect. It adds a very nice effect to the scene. It almost simulates extra fine detail in normal maps. ALso it seems like the Luminance mode is the mode I would really like to use, it seems to produce the best visuals that I am looking for

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  3. G-Mika

G-Mika

You need to use the SetCurveParameters on the tonemapper component:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. DeluxeTonemapper dt = GetComponent<DeluxeTonemapper>();
    3. dt.SetCurveParameters(5.0f, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f);
    On the Color H&D curve, the shoulder and toe are more localized (they won't affect the mid range colors like it does with the other curves). Maybe your scene was too dark to see the effect of the shoulder.

ArachnidAnimal likes this.
  4. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

OK, thanks. Everything is working fine now.

5. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, is that possible to use this asset on mobile devices?

6. G-Mika

G-Mika

It's possible. The extra step of computing the histogram for the eye adaptation/auto-exposure would be a bit heavy, but the tonemapping part is simple enough to make it usable on mobile.

zhuchun likes this.
  7. Chris_Webb

Chris_Webb

Hey,

Ever since upgrading to unity 5.4, eye adaptation seems to be seriously over exposing in builds. In the editor everything works fine, and as it always did, but builds seem pretty buggy. We are using 5.4.0f3, deferred, HDR in linear.

Thanks

8. G-Mika

G-Mika

Hi Chris,

I tested within Unity 5.4 and I haven't experienced any problems with builds, both in-editor and build gives the same results. What is your platforms, windows, mac? Are you experiencing this problem in a new project?

9. Chris_Webb

Chris_Webb

This isn't a new project. The build is running on windows under dx11. The problem only happened when upgrading from 5.3 to one of the later 5.4 betas, and continues in the 5.4 release. I will try to do some more digging and do a small repro.

10. Chris_Webb

Chris_Webb

Hey, just wanted to update you on this issue. It turns out the cause seems to be a unity bug making image effects apply twice when the camera is instantiated.

11. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

@G-Mika I sent u an email about 0.6 KB runtime allocations from Eye Adaption. Is there a way to fix it? Many thanks :)

12. G-Mika

G-Mika

I haven't experienced any GC issue with the eye adaptation, 0 allocation in my cases. I answered to your email and if you are able to show me how to reproduce your issue (maybe tied to a Unity Version / Platform) I will look into fixing it.

13. SamAB

SamAB

I love the Deluxe Eye adaptation. I've tried it on mobile and it does not seem to work. Is there official support or ways to make it work in Mobile?

It looks fine on the screen, but way overexposed in the GearVR. The exposure seems to go up, but never down.

Thanks!

14. TwiiK

TwiiK

There are some warnings about unused variables in the latest version:

15. Stormy102

Stormy102

@G-Mika This looks pretty good! I'll pick this up when I have some spare cash. Need to do-away with the god-awful Unity tonemapping effect :confused:

16. henriqueam

henriqueam

Hi there everyone. I'm pretty new to this camera effects area... I'm trying to improve on my scene, a medieval isometric rpg game. Any tips on which set up to use here? Thank you

17. Flurgle

Flurgle

Haven't seen any updates, does this work ok for 5.6?

18. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

In the nicest way possible.
    Your asset is completely busted on Unity 5.6
    Like, really bad...like crashes the editor bad.

I have spend the past 2 hours in Visual Studio trying to fix issues with the Editor windows for your tool.

Crash!
    Texture2D lastLut0 = dt.m_2DLut0;
    dt.m_2DLut0 = (Texture2D)EditorGUILayout.ObjectField(dt.m_2DLut0, typeof(Texture2D), false);

Crash!
    dt.m_HDREffectsgOpened = FTDHelper.GroupHeader("HDR Effects", dt.m_HDREffectsgOpened);

Crash!
    dt.m_DisableColorGrading = !EditorGUILayout.Toggle(" Enable HDR Effects", !dt.m_DisableColorGrading);
    GUI.enabled = !dt.m_DisableColorGrading;
    EditorGUILayout.LabelField(" HDR Sharpness Filer", EditorStyles.boldLabel);
    dt.m_Sharpness = DoSlider(" Sharpness", dt.m_Sharpness, 0.0f, 2.0f);
    dt.m_SharpnessKernel = DoSlider(" Sharpness Kernel", dt.m_SharpnessKernel, 0.25f, 2.0f);
    EditorGUILayout.LabelField(" HDR Color", EditorStyles.boldLabel);
    dt.m_Saturation = DoSlider(" Saturation", dt.m_Saturation, 0.0f, 2.0f);

If I completely remove your OnInspectorGUI code, I can at least get the editor to not crash, but I have no idea how to set your settings now.

I hope you bother to read the forum here, people are asking if this works in 5.6, and clearly it does not

19. Stormy102

Stormy102

That's weird... I'm using 5.6f3 and it works fine.

JohnRossitter likes this.
  20. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Happens for me on:

Windows 10, Unity 5.6f3 Existing Projects
    Windows 10, Unity 5.6f3 New Projects

OSX, Unity 5.6f3 Existing Projects
    OSX, Unity 5.6f3 New Projects

Flurgle likes this.
  21. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Happens to my other team members too

Flurgle likes this.
  22. G-Mika

G-Mika

@JohnRossitter

Hi john,

I'm testing right now with Unity 5.6.0f3 on a complete game project combined with other post process and everything is working well. I also tested on an empty project, no problems either. We also started using Unity 5.6.0f3 with FTD on one project last week and I haven't had any problems reported yet.

Can you send me by email a sample project in which you are having this issue?

ArachnidAnimal, Stormy102 and Flurgle like this.
  23. Stormy102

Stormy102

I can also corroborate this. Are you importing into a fresh project?

24. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

I tried on fresh projects as well as existing ones.
    It turned out to be the Auto Compress Assets on Import setting which was crashing Unity when this asset imported.
    For whatever reason, on those lines of code I listed above, Unity would crash with mono.dll access violations if that setting was turned on.

So, I finally got it installed.

As for how it looks / works....honestly meh.
    I cant say I like it any better or worse than the other tone mappers I have tried and or made on my own.

25. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

It's great to know this asset will continue to be supported for 5.6. Other post-effects assets are no longer offer support after Unity 5.4.
    This is no doubt one of the best assets I ever purchased.
    I sorta feel sorry for the asset store sellers that have to continuously change the asset to make it compatible with every new update to Unity.

26. olavrv

olavrv

We are experiencing color banding when using deluxe tonemapper. Any tips on how to fix this?

PS: Would also be great with a version that supports singlepass rendering (VR)

27. Flurgle

Flurgle

@olavrv have you tried applying a tiny amount of grain (lets say from the post processing stack or similar)? There's also a dither in the post processing stack.

28. olavrv

olavrv

Grain in post processing stack doesnt work when using deluxe tonemapping component (adds on grain). Could be script execution order... ?!

29. TwiiK

TwiiK

Yep, same for me. I'm using Ultimate Bloom and this asset in a project because I like the bloom and the HDR sharpness setting on this looks kickass in my game, but I wanted the color grading from the post processing stack and they don't play well together. Just adding the post processing stack seems to break everything, even with no enabled effects.

30. Stormy102

Stormy102

@G-Mika There are a few warnings that we get when importing Filmic Tonemapping Deluxe, mainly to do with unused variables.

31. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

It makes my game look really nice.... But the lack of single-pass VR makes it otherwise no use for me.

Are there plans to add this?

32. jammer42777

jammer42777

Hi I'm considering getting the tonemapper in a couple of weeks.
    However how does it compare to the built in tone mapper in the post processing stack?
    Thanks!
    --Joshua

33. Crossway

Crossway

Can you please update this for unity 2018.2.1f1? I really need this but I get this error.

Menu Component/Filmic Tonemapping/Add Tonemapper can't be checked because doesn't exist
    Menu Component/Filmic Tonemapping/Add Eye Adaptation can't be checked because doesn't exist