Search Unity

Filmic LUT

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by GarrettShields, Jan 17, 2020.

1. GarrettShields

GarrettShields

I'm trying to get the Filmic LUT to work with the post processing stack.

I've tried setting up two projects, one using standard render pipeline, and the other LWRP. The Filmic LUT comes out looking quite incorrect in both gamma and linear color space.

Has anyone had it, or any other cube LUTs work correctly?

This is the one I've been trying, https://www.filmicpro.com/luts/

2. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Have you got a screenshot of what the filmic LUT looks like after it's applied? Even with cube LUTs, there are different types designed to work with gamma footage, flat footage, and N-Log footage, if you apply the wrong type it won't look correct.

3. GarrettShields

GarrettShields

Thanks for the reply.

I've attached an image of what the two LUTS that are available on the Filmic LUT website look like. Left is scene, right is game. The pack comes with a "deFlat" and a "deLog", they only look slightly different.

Attached Files:

4. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Looks like the gamma is wrong on them. Have you set your LUTs import settings correctly? Sometimes LUTs can do that if you import them as an sRGB texture instead of a linear texture.

5. GarrettShields

GarrettShields

Sounds like that could be the problem. Unfortunately there's not very many import settings on the textures. Just wrap mode, filter mode, and aniso level.

Attached Files:

6. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

Inspector should appear like this:

7. GarrettShields

GarrettShields

That looks like a 2D LUT. This is a 3D LUT.

8. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget

That's your problem, both Unity PPv2, PRISM, and other post-processing assets take 2D LUTs and internally convert them to 3D. 3D LUTs are native to video editing software only. You will need to find a way to convert it back to 2D.

9. GarrettShields

GarrettShields

Ahh I see. Thanks a lot of taking the time to help, appreciate it.

Do you know which type I should be using for games? "deFlat" or "deLog"? This obviously isn't footage so I'm not even sure what to search for in this case.