Search Unity

Bug File Removed Locally Won't Go Away

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by MousePods, Oct 1, 2021.

1. MousePods

MousePods

I don't know why I cannot remove this from plastic. I try to undo changes and also deleted my workspace and redownloaded the project but it is still here.

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 11.41.42 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 11.42.26 AM.png

How do I remove this files from plastic as they are very annoying, cluttering up the workspace.

Thanks!

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @MousePods, I'm sorry that you're having difficulty removing these files from your Pending Changes tab. Could you share if these shader packages are from an asset on the Asset Store or an internal Unity asset that we could use to try to reproduce this issue?

In the meantime, you could try adding these files to your hidden changes list so that they no longer appear in the Pending Changes tab if you do not care about them anymore.

3. MousePods

MousePods

Thank you for the reply!

These are from a unity asset store where the developer fixed a bug and send me a unity package. I was doing things like:

1. Duplicating my main project
    2. Import the unity package into the duplicated project
    3. Once I verified that the issues were resolved, I deleted this duplicate project.
    4. Imported the unity project into my main project and checked in changes
    Do I do the top or bottom one? And if I do this, will this make it so that if the developer send me another unity package it won't show up?

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 12.43.27 PM.png

Thanks!

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

You actually can work within the same local workspace of your project by utilizing branches in the Plastic SCM client. If you want to test how a new version of a package will affect your project, you can create a test branch via the Branch Explorer in the Plastic SCM client and switch to that branch in your workspace. Once you've done that, you can import the new package and see if it introduces compilation errors or fixes them and, if you like how it works, you can merge your branch back into your main one. If you don't like the changes, then you can switch back to your main branch and delete your test branch without having to make any copies of your project.

There are tutorials on how to use branches in Plastic SCM that you can consult if you have more questions to see if this is the right path for you.

As for which option to pick for the Hidden Changes list, the first one would hide any asset in your workspace that has that filename, whereas the third one would just hide the file with that name in that exact file path, so it's more contained to a single file. I hope that helps to answer your questions and let me know if you have any other questions/concerns.

5. MousePods

MousePods

Right! I am so use to using collaborate with no branching that I just duplicate my project. I totally forgot I could do this, thanks for the heads up!

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  6. MousePods

MousePods

I just tried removing it by hiding it and it still is showing. Is there anyway other way to remove these files?

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

That's odd. Let me check with the dev team and I'll get back to you as soon as I hear back on what else you can try. Thank you for your patience.

MousePods likes this.
  8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

The team and I are curious which package you're importing that seems to be having these issues. I'm not familiar enough with the render pipeline tools, so could you please provide your repro steps on which package/tool you're using and what steps you followed to run into this issue so that we can try to reproduce it on our end?

9. MousePods

MousePods

It wasn't through the package manager or asset store, I had bought the asset, https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/textures-materials/water/game-2d-water-kit-118057, but it had a few glitches the developer fixed and sent me a unity package.

These are the steps I did which I believe causes the issue (before I realized I could just do a branch), but I am not 100% sure.
    1. I duplicated my project
    2. Imported the unity package into my duplicated project to make sure everything worked
    3. Deleting that duplicated project
    4. Importing the unity package into my original project and checked in the changes.
    I am assuming this is when the local file issue happened. I don't know for a fact because I noticed those files a few days later.

10. Alima-Studios

Alima-Studios

I m having this issue too

11. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi Alima-Studios,

Can you reach us at support@plasticscm.com to further debug the issue?

Regards,
    Carlos.