Search Unity

File I/O via Unity

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Xen, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Xen

Xen

If I create a project that wants to save data to an external file - how is this done in a Unity app?

e.g. Save/Load user preferences in a INI file or retain game progress, level info and anything else that might be useful to have in permanent storage.

I know I can read in text data via TextAsset but how do I write out data and control the formatting (as in a INI file)?

2. Ender13

Ender13

You'll have to use C#'s StreamReader and StreamWriter. Have to create your own method of writing and parsing the data though.

3. Xen

Xen

I don't suppose anyone has already done this and created a few File i/o classes/functions that we can just plug into our projects?

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Have a look at the various functions in System.IO. Note that this is related to Mono (.net), not C#.

--Eric

5. Xen

Xen

The more I grapple with this thing, the more fragmented the information sources seem to be and the steeper the learning curve becomes. <sigh>

I dunno where on earth I got the idea this was going to be easy.

Thanks Eric for your pointer.

6. Troy-Dawson

Troy-Dawson

I just posted a sample StreamReader last night, check out the Road Reader class for how to read a text file from your asset bundle.

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=232729#232729

I didn't know anything about .net I/O until I started this last night, though having 30 years of programming experience helped me to figure out the best (?) direction to go as I was learning.

Managed code is a lot easier than the old way, but the learning curve is indeed fiercer. dotnet / C# programming is the summation of 40 years of API and language design and the concepts are not easy to understand.

But with practice comes competency!

7. bernardfrancois

bernardfrancois

8. bernardfrancois

bernardfrancois

As erique pointed out here, since Unity 3.3 there's a way to do it without platform-specific code using #if statements.

Check the updated blog post for more information.

9. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

It is, actually. In your project settings set API Compatibility Level to .Net 2.0 and then use the standard .Net I/O functionality.

How to write files:
    Code (csharp):
    1. using (var writer = new BinaryWriter(File.Open(filename, FileMode.CreateNew)))
    2. {
    3.     writer.Write(123);
    4.     writer.Write(123.456f);
    5.     writer.Write("Hello, World!");
    6. }
    How to read files:
    Code (csharp):
    1. using (var reader = new BinaryReader(File.Open(filename, FileMode.Open)))
    2. {
    3.     var integer = reader.ReadInt32();
    4.     var real = reader.ReadSingle();
    5.     var text = reader.ReadString();
    6. }
    Also check File.ReadAllText, File.ReadAllLines, File.WriteAllText, File.WriteAllLines inside System.IO namespace.

DragonRider likes this.
  10. DragonRider

DragonRider

I've been looking into generating levels from text files and wondered where to find the System.IO api reference. Invaluable, thanks! :D

11. Tiles

Tiles

Just follow the link

12. Caedriel

Caedriel

any clue on how to generate levels using file IO ? been trying it for a while and am lost