Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

File history in Collaborate

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by sqallpl, Nov 2, 2016.

1. sqallpl

sqallpl

I have some questions about the file history in Collaborate and how It works now and would work in the future. I need to add that I'm not using Collaborate at the moment so I don't know how it looks now.

1. How is storage calculated for previous versions of files? Is it accumulated so ~10MB file with 10 previous versions would use ~100MB of Collaborate storage? Or maybe there is some time limit for file history (like in Dropbox) and only the actual version of file is counted for total storage used?

2. Is it possible to set individual time frames for file history (eg. one file/folder stored for 30 days, another one for 90 days)? Or maybe this is a global setting?

3. Do we need to manually delete previous versions of files to clean the storage space or maybe system would delete them automatically?

I especially wonder about scene files because they can take up some space like XX-XXXMB and in many workflows they are updated very often (like daily) so it can generate a lot of file versions in a short period of time.

Thank you,

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. dtakahas

dtakahas

Hey there,

1. "~10MB file with 10 previous versions would use ~100MB of Collaborate storage" is correct. Just to be clear, we're talking here about storage on our servers. On your machine, you will only ever have the files for the revision you have checked out.

To free up cloud storage, you can use the web interface to archive historical versions. For example, if you know you are never going to go back to a period of your project history and 8 of those 10 versions were only used in that period, you can choose that point in history and all of the file versions associated with revisions earlier than that point will be moved to cold storage. The way we express it is "archive from this revision back to the beginning of history and save X bytes".

2. Historical file versions are stored on the servers until manually cleaned up and there is currently no configuration to automatically move them to cold storage, although there may be in the future. On your machine, you will only have the file versions needed for your current revision. If / when we do add that feature, it will almost certainly not be on a per-file basis, but on a revision basis (i.e. "keep all files needed for the last 100 revisions, discard any others").

3. I think 1 and 2 cover this mostly. Right now, it's manual, but we would like to make it automatic for you.

Personally, I worry about art asset iterations taking up space more than scene files, but they all have the potential to eat into storage. We're hoping that the GBs we've allocated are enough that you won't have to be cleaning up super often. It's definitely something we're keeping an eye on.

3. sqallpl

sqallpl

Hey,

Is the info posted here by @dtakahas up to date? I'm asking because there is a related answer in the 'service usage' FAQ and looks like the storage rules are different now. Please let me now if I'm wrong.

"The amount of cloud storage used is calculated by summing size of the latest versions of all your projects/assets stored using Collaborate. Historical versions of your projects/assets do not count towards cloud storage."