Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. We are updating our Terms of Service for all Unity subscription plans, effective October 13, 2022, to create a more streamlined, user-friendly set of terms. Please review them here: unity.com/legal/terms-of-service.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Figuring out if two concave meshes are colliding/triggering

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Julien-Lynge, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Julien-Lynge

Julien-Lynge

Hey all!

I need to calculate whether any meshes in a scene are overlapping - basically, treat them as trigger colliders and check for OnTriggerEnter. Unfortunately, there are complications which make this a nightmare:
    • The meshes are of unknown shape, and will often be concave in very complex ways
    • The mesh colliders are pulled from the meshes themselves. We'll be trying to do automatic mesh decimation, but likely can't decimate more than 90%, meaning the mesh colliders will have 10k - 100k vertices regularly (from 100k to 1Mk vert objects)
    • Because of this, we most likely can't use an off-the-shelf solution to convert to an equivalent set of convex meshes (though I'll be trying!)
    There are a couple details that could make this easier:
    • The scene is entirely non-physical - I have no need to use rigidibodies and colliders if there's a better solution without them. I just need to know when two meshes are intersecting in space
    • The objects are not large - typically 1-2m on a side. I really only need collision accuracy to 1 cm or so. So if there's a way to 'shrink wrap' simpler colliders onto the objects, I'm all ears.
    • Only one object at a time will be moving, and that object is moving slowly and non-physically.
    • The calculation doesn't have to be perfect. This is informational to the user, and if it's not perfect, that's okay.
    I have a few ideas I'm going to try, which I'll list below. But I'm curious if anyone has a more clever solution I haven't thought of. Or perhaps there's an out-of-the-box mathematics library out there I can use instead of PhysX - I started researching the math, and I really don't want to have to re-code octree checks and triangle overlap from first mathematical principles :)

Here's what I've discovered so far:
    • There is simply no way to use colliders / rigidbodies to figure out collisions or triggering between two concave meshes. I read through the collision matrix in careful detail and performed my own tests just to double-check
    • There is nothing within the Physics class that I can use to check via code - Physics.ComputePenetration is the closest I found, but still doesn't work with two concave meshes
    • Trying to use many simple collider shapes (spheres, boxes) to approximate the overall object shape breaks down very quickly
    Here's what I'm thinking about trying:
    • Particles? Maybe I can calculate (for instance) a 100x100x100 grid within the object and place a particle wherever there's a face. Of course, that could be an insane number of particles, and breaks down if e.g. one object is entirely inside another.
    • A separate physics package? I know some of the soft-body physics packages support concave meshes
    Anybody have a better idea that I'm missing?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
unityunity