Search Unity

FidelityFX in URP details and best practices

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Sky77, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Sky77

Sky77

We are working on a visually very complex multiplatform project on URP and we’re experimenting with the newly added support for FidelityFX (we are on Unity 2021.2.19f, soon moving to the LTS).

Is there any documentations or any details on the implementation on the various platforms?
    After some preliminary testing we’re getting good visual results but we still need to understand if the performance impact justify it.
    For example, we’re testing it on Switch and while we still need to profile properly the performance impact looks to be important (is it using the mobile version of the shader?).

Do you have any suggestion on how to properly use it?

2. j_chai

j_chai

Can you share the settings you used on your preliminary testing?
    using Unity 2021.2.16f+'s FSR implementation on the switch produces barely noticeable speedup and quite visibly decreased the visual quality in my case. :(

I've tried playing around with the settings for quite a while, (I even tried porting over AMD's implementation for URP 10) but it seems like no matter what I do, the result looks worse than bilinear + MSAA 2x on switch.. (even more so in handheld mode)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  3. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

Hi, FSR 1.0 produces smoother (less pixelated) result than Bilinear, but:
    • FSR has higher performance cost than Bilinear (still faster than native resolution).
    • Lower resolution can cause obvious highlights flickering (decreasing visual quality).
    If you want to avoid the decreasing of visual quality, I will suggest using higher anti-aliasing settings.

The differences of three upscaling filters are more noticeable at low resolution, pay attention to the edges of hanging lamp, window and highlights of metal.

FSR 1.0:
    FSR 1.0.png

Bilinear:
    Bilinear.png

Nearest-Neighbor:
    Nearest-Neighbor.png

4. j_chai

j_chai

Okay, I think I've figured something out,
    it might be not a problem with FSR, but how Unity's camera stack and post processing interacts with FSR.
    Not sure what causes the problem at this point. (Could be a bug?)

Rendering with FSR and only using the Base camera produces a much better result now.
    (Can't share Screenshots, sorry)

5. amynox

amynox

Facing the same probleme here. URP + FSR, i can notice the visual change (image compression) but NO impact at all on perfomance (FPS). I do also use Camera Stacking, @j_chai is it something related to that? did you figure out what was causing "bug?" on your project? Thanks

6. j_chai

j_chai

Nah, I never figured out what caused the visual change, we ended up using MSAA+Bilinear since the bandwidth & execution speed didn't suffer too much.
    We could probably try and find out what's wrong with the current implementation (modifying the URP package), but seeing FSR 2.0 is just around the corner, I'm not really eager on fixing the FSR 1.0 implementation at the moment.

7. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

8. Claytonious

Claytonious

... but not for URP, don't forget to mention (here, again, in a URP forum.)

9. Alterego-Games

Alterego-Games

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023