Search Unity

FFT Ocean Water System

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Aquaminator, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquaminator

Aquaminator

Hello everyone, sorry for the delay - I was very busy with some projects for the last few months.
    But here comes a little update:
    Though there are not many changes to be seen, but the main routines are now running with compute shaders and that's a drastic performance boost. The FFT resolution in the following video is now 512x512 points (and that's not the end). The calculation for this needs just a few milliseconds with a GTX-980TI (256x256 on the CPU I7-4790k were already not really feasible in real time anymore!).
    In addition, the ocean tiles now have a (simple) LOD system. There are still some things to do, but here first is the mentioned video. Of course, the "hard" transitions between the different wave spectra are also changed into soft crossfades soon ;)

Lahcene, demalpica, Flurgle and 8 others like this.
  2. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

That looks awesome.

3. nbac

nbac

promissing

4. norby

norby

wow very nice :)

5. Aquaminator

Aquaminator

Hello - first of all, I'd like to thank all of you for the positive comments (also on YouTube).
    Furthermore, I always again get requests from people who would like to know how such an ocean simulation works in detail. Then I got an idea - what would you think of an online course (eg on Udemy), where exactly is explained how to develop the whole thing from the beginning to the end (indeed everything - C# scripts, compute shaders, vertex and fragment shaders - and of course: the math behind it - understandable explained for everybody)?
    Please let me know how you think about it. ;)

6. CDF

CDF

Umm, yes please

Lahcene likes this.
  7. norby

norby

yes would be great

Lahcene likes this.
  8. Flurgle

Flurgle

@Aquaminator, would be cool if you did the course in HDRP.

Lahcene likes this.
  9. wightwhale

wightwhale

The water shaders compatible with HDRP are pretty few and far between. Would be great it this was compatible.

10. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Is there single-pass stereo support for this?

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

The shader itself is not very hard to port from my experience, mostly come across depth related issues but are solvable. The major issue is there is no way to render reflection and refraction in HDRP yet, i only managed to get them in LWRP so far and got also a depth rendering using the effects stack v2.0 (which is now not working on LWRP) for shore lines.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  12. demalpica

demalpica

Looks great @Aquaminator I skimmed over the threads, did I miss a link to the store? Would this work for underwater scenes? Either way, I would be interested in trying/purchasing.

13. Aquaminator

Aquaminator

Hello and a happy new year!

@demalpica It is not in the store yet as it is not ready. Some things are still missing, e.g. also underwater effects (but is definitely planned).

I was thinking about some kind of early access (if that works in the store). Would anyone be interested in it?
    And of course I would also be interested in what you think is an affordable price. Just write me your expectations (but please, in a realistically range) ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Lahcene likes this.
  14. Aquaminator

Aquaminator

by the way, on YouTube someone called "VoodooDE VR" did a review about the VR Movie "7 Miracles" (The Movie is released from HTC VIVE and VIVE Studios, produced by Panogramma, not by me - i don't have any rights on it, only the water comes from me) in wich you can see the water system running on a HTC Vive Focus (with some special adaptations due to hardware limitations)

time ~ 7:32

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Lahcene likes this.
  15. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

I assume the project is dead

Kennth likes this.
  16. Kennth

Kennth

I am NOT saying this is the case here but ..... there are other forums/assets ( I won't say where ) on Unity though..

When a project has been in development for 3 years and the developer seems more intent on making money,
    then what happens If/When the asset is released .. the support is sketchy to start off with almost from the start,
    and when the asset has sold itself out and or sales slow to almost none... then the asset gets deprecated.

As beautiful as this looks, I would not buy it if it was one..a lot of money, and two, was prepared for it to be deprecated within one year or two. This has been my general experience with this type of looking pattern.

17. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

Shame, cause it had the best visuals. Any alternatives? My fav is tenkoku so far.

Kennth likes this.
  18. Kennth

Kennth

I am not suggesting you buy this, it is an asset to make things float in the water, the main idea is to look at
    what water(s) ( SUPPORTED WATER ASSETS ) it supports ... the idea being that imho, an asset developer is not going to waste time and energy on unproven, unpopular assets ( BTW tenkoku :) ) Is one of the supported assets..
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/dynamic-water-physics-2-147990

It also lists some free water for unity on Git hub that many use too.

Having been around Unity for 6 years, I have a lot of deprecated assets :( Soooo I have developed a kind of set rules I use to buy a new asset, of course it depends on the asset it self and how you feel about the chances.

1: I read through the developers forum... are they active ? Do they answer every question in a timely way ? Do they treat the users with respect when warranted.. How long are their reply times.. Etc ..

2: I read all the reviews, and it depends on the asset, when it was released... Does the developer have other assets on the store ? For me one red flag is a new developer with no track record.. that alone is not a reason not to buy, just to be cautious.

3: If the developer has been around a long time and has other assets out, chances are good, they will keep up with Unity versions, and maybe make new assets.

4: In general the time an asset comes out, and the reviews, and if there is an version upgrade history.. the more I trust possibility buying.

But this is just me, and I don't feel comfortable recommending any one asset. I will say I own a lot of water assets, and tenkoku was one of the first water and sky assets I got.. He has been around for a long time and has a good upgrade history..

I hope this might help newer people avoid some of the possible pit falls buying new assets.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Vincent454 and Liminal-Ridges like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.