Search Unity

Ferr2D Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by koujaku, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Haapavuo

Haapavuo

How can I disable edges only between some vertices / control points? I want to create overlapping terrain paths so that the overlapping edges are not visible.

2. RedVonix

RedVonix

Howdy! Huge fan of the system, and we're using it extensively in A Purrtato Tail. I saw it mentioned a bit in the past, and we're wondering about a previously requested feature as well - are there any plans to add in support for multiple fill materials?

Thanks!

BTStone likes this.
  3. AntLewis

AntLewis

Hey there, I just imported your latest package into Unity 2017.3.1.f1 and all worked well. However, when I pull it into a project containing another package (Smart Slicer 2D), I get a ton of errors. Both packages work independently, but when combined into the same project, the following errors occur. Any way I can resolve this? Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. sirio21

sirio21

I have Ferr Materials in another folder, i upgrade to last version. how can i select a material from another folder? (no from the samples), before i modified the class to make my own selector, but it was overwriten

5. MinnieMoog

MinnieMoog

Hi everyone!

I have gone ahead and created a discord server for Ferr2D community discussion:

https://discord.gg/hEnTnmE

Hoping we can come together to build the community larger, show off our work, and share feedback and tips with each other! Hope to see everyone there!

6. LavieA

LavieA

I think there's nothing special in my settings
    top settings (ok, nothing changes):

and every other side (it just autochecks simple mode and F*** everything up when I choose the side from the top down menu):

ALSO I'm having problems with this:

Tried using the draw order but it doesn't seem to do nothing ):

7. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

can someone make an elaborate tutorial from the ground on ferr2D version 2? Also, an official discord server would be amazing for this tool thanks!

8. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

can someone compare the beta sprite shape preview and ferr2D? I just wanted to know the pros and cons of it.

9. BTStone

BTStone

@Gamingbir
    Something that has the words "Beta" and "Preview" in it shouldn't be used for production :p

Zehru likes this.
  10. MinnieMoog

MinnieMoog

We've got the next best thing, at least... An unofficial discord server: https://discord.gg/hEnTnmE
    Join us! We're slowly but surely growing. :)

11. awesomedata

awesomedata

Been working on a prototype using Ferr2D to eventually show-off a secret new feature for my tool, Snapcam, and the sheer flexibility of Ferr2D got me thinking about some possibilities for things other than side-scrollers.

For example, has anyone here ever tried making Ferr2D graphics that work for top-down "RPG" style perspectives (i.e. any SNES-era Square/Enix RPG pretty much)?

I wish I had time to try this out, but I'm swamped right now between this new update and a new animation tool prototype. However, it seems like it could work (with minimal challenges), and also seems like a really good way to "push" Ferr2D in a new way.

Also, @koujaku, have you ever thought of adding a circle "brush" feature to Ferr2D that lets one paint "instanced" vegetation on your 2D terrains? -- Seems like that might be useful for Ferr2D with a good vegetation shader. :)

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  12. DavidC02

DavidC02

Hey everyone,

Wanted to ask for a bit of comparisson between SpriteShape vs Ferr2D. Ferr2D seems more robust at this point but with Unity supposedly working on the feature, is it worth going for Ferr2D still?

Thanks.

Heart_Attack and Zehru like this.
  13. Zehru

Zehru

@DavidC02
    That's not the first time that Unity appears in a sudden with a very good idea similar to one on the asset store and turn it into something that they support natively, making in most of the cases, the asset creator's giving up on the asset support, by lack of sellings.

However, as it's possible to be seen on the 3d terrain stuff that they have always had (and now are apparently re-working), they normally stop the project of the tool by its half, making it harder to use than the assets.
    Or, as it happened/is happening with the nested prefabs and the tilemap tools, they take a really long time to end implementing it, making the use of the tool just possible to be considered after the final release of the tool.
    That's, in my opinion, why the asset store works.

Of course, I'm not trying to say that they are not working well on the tool, as actually, I think they are doing an amazing job, but to my mind, they should hire the asset creator and implement the asset itself on the engine, then start working on it(like they did with Anima2D). This way, everything would be more organized, and they wouldn't be destroying the asset creator's sellings.

14. awesomedata

awesomedata

I would say it absolutely is worth going with Ferr2D.

The reasons I say this are many, but, like @Zehru says, Unity's "built-in" tools tend to become very stagnant after some time (i.e. Mecanim), and they completely lose support for it (and knowledge about it) over time as developers are shifted around and leave the company, whereas you have an active developer (@koujaku) always here who is willing to fix or implement any features that need fixing or support you wherever you need support. IMO, it's worth the (small) price he asks.

It's likely Unity will implement the bare-minimum and you will find yourself needing way more than Unity gives -- things Ferr2D likely already has -- and in the end, you'll appreciate yourself for going with Ferr2D because you didn't have to waste your life reinventing the wheel for yet one more thing in Unity.

15. maltakereuz

maltakereuz

Empty objects after copy a ferr2d terrain.

I have a uncomfortable problem with copying terrains between scenes. After paste everything is just empty. Objects are in hierarchy but nothing will be drawn and colliders do not work. However after selecting terrains (with single selection) in hierarchy, the will be "reapaired" on the fly. This behaviour is pretty confusing for me. And selecting 100+ terrains (i make levels with terrains blocks) is pretty annoying task. I intend to write a script that does it for me. But before i start, i would like to know why it happens and may be there is another solution for that problem. (Multiple selection does not works for this repair, so i need really selecting them one by one. With arrow keys and alt+click in hierarchy it is a little bit better, but still no fun at all)

Another related problem is Ctrl + D copying. It works fine, but the colliders will be edited together. After scene reload this does not happens anymore.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    BTStone likes this.
  16. BTStone

BTStone

I can confirm @maltakereuz issues, I had those problems already in Ferr2D 1.X
    Extremely annoying.

17. flashframe

flashframe

It seems that the mesh needs to be regenerated. When you click on the object in the inspector, it calls "OnEnable", which has a call to Build() in the Ferr2D_PathTerrain, which regenerates the mesh. The reason that doesn't work with multiple objects selected is that Unity only shows one of their inspectors.

I'm sure you know this, but if you type t:Ferr2D_PathTerrain into the hierarchy search bar, it'll only list objects of that type, which make save time selecting them, as you can just arrow through them. Of course that's still time consuming and a custom script that fires the Build() method on all selected objects will be faster if you are having to do that a lot.

18. maltakereuz

maltakereuz

Oh, so basicly the solutionScript will be foreach (f2d in all) f2d.Build(); ?
    Does it makes anything broken, if i call Build for a terrain, that does not needs this "repair". As far as i know -- not.
    Sounds pretty easy. Does unity have any OnObjectPaste() hook? It would be very usefull for such script.

Oh, i can search via component types in editor. Actually i did not knot that. Thank you.

But anyway it would be pretty better, if it would "just work" out of the box. Copy-paste in level desing is more then usual task.

awesomedata likes this.
  19. michael_slg

michael_slg

This may have been answered somewhere already – can this tool be used at runtime for procedural levels through code/scripts?

20. awesomedata

awesomedata

At one point early on, I believe it could. I'm pretty sure it's a bit more difficult now due to the stored data being more complex than it once was, but perhaps @koujaku could shed some light on this since I'm not well-versed on the API side of this yet.

michael_slg likes this.
  21. DavidC02

DavidC02

awesomedata likes this.
  22. ryo1102

ryo1102

Can you help me change alpha of Color? Please!

23. DavidC02

DavidC02

Is there any way to completely disable stretching? Also, how large could a level be?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  24. MM47

MM47

Quick question. I'm considering purchasing Ferr2D.
    1. Is it possible to sculpt the shapes into 3D? It would simply require the meshes to be generated fairly frequently and then sculpting them with a tool like PolyBrush.
    2. Can I cast shadows on the Ferr2D shapes. For example by placing a 3D object on top.
    Generally I'm thinking of mixing 2D and 3D for greater visual effects.

--EDIT--

OK I went ahead and bought the asset :). And it is possible. Just remove the Ferr2D component and change the shaders to standard unity shaders and then Polybrush. I can even make the top sprite layer cast a shadow which neat.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  25. memgsas

memgsas

Hi!
    There was a problem with the use of Ferr2D, on macOS and iOS everything is fine, but on iPhone 5/iPad 4 the texture of the Terrain is not displayed correctly.
    I can assume that the problem is in the 32 bit architecture, on x64 everything is fine.
    Below are screenshots of how it should be and how on the iPhone 5/iPad 4.
    Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?

Attached Files:

• bug.png
      bug.png
      File size:
      111.9 KB
      Views:
    • Norm.png
      Norm.png
      File size:
      315.2 KB
      Views:
  26. phateRM

phateRM

Hi everybody,
    I have a problem using Ferr2D with the Desert Pack from Regnar Forge. I got these errors when both assets are imported:
    Assets/Ferr/Common/2DT/Ferr2DT_SegmentDescription.cs(20,14): error CS0260: Missing partial modifier on declaration of type `Ferr2DT_SegmentDescription'. Another partial declaration of this type exists
    Assets/Ferr/Common/2DT/Ferr2DT_Material.cs(4,14): error CS0260: Missing partial modifier on declaration of type `Ferr2DT_Material'. Another partial declaration of this type exists
    No errors when Ferr2D is imported alone on a brand new project. Plus I have already tried deleting the project and starting from scratch.
    Any suggestion on how to remove the errors?
    I am using Unity 2018.2.
    Thanks!

27. mesaticus

mesaticus

I just started using this tool and have noticed problems with sorting. My camera is set to perspective (i want parralax), and I have sprites that are clearly behind my terrain but as the camera pans, some sprites will leap in front of the terrain? I'm fairly new to Unity so maybe I'm doing something wrong? I also notice that I have to have sprites quite a distance a way from the terrain in order for them to appear behind it which seems odd.

28. mesaticus

mesaticus

So I managed to solve this using sorting layers, though it still seems odd to do that. I'm not entirely sure how to sort a MeshRender (vs a Sprite Render) but that'll be another day.

29. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

I think this issue is a pretty common one when you're using sprites and perspective cameras. I use Sorting Layers pretty heavily in 2D games though, so don't feel like you're doing something wrong. It gives you a lot of control over render order!

You can't set render order explicitly on mesh renderers, but you can kinda fudge it using multiple cameras. You can get each camera to render different layers and then assign your meshes to that layer. It's not as straightforward as sorting layers though.

flashframe likes this.
  30. flashframe

flashframe

wedgiebee and awesomedata like this.
  31. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

32. Heart_Attack

Heart_Attack

Hi @DavidC02, I was wondering how you've found Ferr2D since you purchased it and whether you are happy you did so?

33. memgsas

memgsas

34. CraigPaulGreen

CraigPaulGreen

Hi, I've just started a project using Ferr on the mac version of unity 2018.2.4f1 and I'm getting this error

error CS2001: Source file `Assets/Store Brought Assets/Ferr/2D/Scripts/poly2tri.cs' could not be found

Compilation failed: 1 error(s), 0 warnings

Any advice?

35. awesomedata

awesomedata

Probably your path to the file...?

Try taking it out of the "Store Brought Assets" folder and storing it in the root. See if the error goes away.

36. Ta-da

Ta-da

So, I'm not sure if this is possible and I have a pretty strong suspicion that it's not but I'd rather confirm it at least. I want to place a sprite mask onto the terrain sprites so that this shadow for my player doesn't hang over edges and such. I've tried accessing the path data but it seems like the sprites get converted into a material so that's out.

Any suggestions?

cparki3 likes this.
  37. aatosmedia

aatosmedia

@CraigPaulGreen, I have exactly the same problem, though I have Windows 10 and Unity is 2018.2.5f1.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. error CS2001: Source file `Assets/Ferr/2D/Scripts/poly2tri.cs' could not be found
    Awesomedata - What is "Store Brought Assets" folder? And what root you mean? Unity IDE or the game project?

38. awesomedata

awesomedata

I was assuming the error had something to do with the Ferr2D folder not being put directly in the Assets path root, but if you're having the error too, it's very possible this has to do with 2018.x or Windows. Unity Team develop on Macs, so their Windows Editor support is... kinda "meh." these days... Try it on a slightly older version or in 2017 and see if the error is still there. :(

I'm not sure, but some other asset that uses the free "poly2tri" library could be causing conflicts in 2018 as well (assuming this is not a clean project you're importing to.) This other (non-Ferr2d) asset could be getting priority on the .cs file (despite the internal asset ID being different) in the case of a Unity bug. They did rewrite the prefab system after all. Some bugs could have come from that.

That's all I've got though. If playing with these doesn't work, it might be a good idea to mention it to @koujaku to see if he can figure out the source. I haven't had the chance to look into it to see if it's causing issues for me in 2018 just yet. Sorry.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  39. CraigPaulGreen

CraigPaulGreen

Its just a self made folder to store any store brought assets. I haven't had a chance to test moving it from that folder yet but I'm pretty sure thats not the problem

40. awesomedata

awesomedata

Indeed, I agree. After seeing someone else above with the same error and the error was coming from the root directory, I figured that was not the problem. As I said to the guy above, maybe try some of the suggestions I made to him and let us know how it goes? -- It's kind of hard to diagnose without knowing what the variables are. I can't remember what Unity's default response is to duplicate .cs files (since they are generally meant to represent classes too), but if there's another "poly2tri.cs" file Unity is looking for, it might bug-out on you for using an asset that wants the same file, but from a different location.

As said before, the "poly2tri.cs" file is a free library that many assets use, so you might want to look into that first.

41. ychv

ychv

I had this error after installation also. "poly2tri.cs" is a directory and the ".cs" suffix if probably confusing the compiler. I just renamed it to resolve the error.

ATeam_Production and awesomedata like this.
  42. memgsas

memgsas

43. awesomedata

awesomedata

You could probably just PM @koujaku (the developer) -- I'm sure he'd be willing to fix it for everyone if there's an issue.

memgsas likes this.
  44. memgsas

memgsas

I'm writing to him for e-mails and Twitter for 3 months, I did not get a response from him.

45. flashframe

flashframe

What are the issues you are having?

46. flashframe

flashframe

Did you try a fresh install of Ferr2D?

47. CraigPaulGreen

CraigPaulGreen

Hey,
    I finally had a chance to check it out (been working on other stuff without the need for ferr) and came to the same fix, It now works. thank you.

48. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

error CS2001: Source file `Assets/Store Brought Assets/Ferr/2D/Scripts/poly2tri.cs' could not be found

Just rename the Folder in Assets/Ferr/2d/Scripts/poly2tri.cs (which is actually a folder and not a script). Rename this Folder from poly2tri.cs to poly
    and now it works.

If you are also using ferr vertex painter, then also install from the asset store substance in unity first.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    NatCou likes this.
  49. Tycellent

Tycellent

I’m pretty new to importing images and creating materials in general but when we want to create a Ferr2D terrain material for both edge and fill is this the procedure that should be followed?:

1. Import the desired texture image that will be used for the material into project. Ensure its ‘Texture Type’ is ‘Default’ and its ‘Texture Shape’ is ‘2D’
    2. Create a new ‘Material’ in project.
    3. This is the step i’m not too sure about and it’s in regards to selecting the right shader to be able to import the desired texture image into the material. Click the newly created ‘Material’ —> In the inspector select ‘Shader’ —> ‘Ferr’ —> ??? —> ???
    4. Drag the texture image into the ‘Material’ inspector.
    5. Do this for both fill and edge.
    6. Drag respective materials into the terrain material.

So to clarify, i’m not too sure how to go about creating a material for the Ferr2D terrain material and in particular i’m not sure which shader to select. I’m also a bit confused since we’re able to basically change the ‘Shader’ once it’s in the inspector after we’ve created the Terrain GameObject so does it actually matter what we select for step 3? Or do i need to make a material for each shader option?

Oh and correct me if i’m wrong but i believe this is the recommended selection:
    Opaque = Better for Fill
    Transparent = Better for Edge
    Wavy = Better for Edge

50. testlabs

testlabs

Hey there, is this asset worth getting now that Unity has released Sprite Shape? Is this any better/different/worth the $?

Also how would I go about creating the terrain to use with this via Photoshop?