Search Unity

Ferr2D Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by koujaku, Oct 9, 2013.

1. flashframe

flashframe

@Rodlaiz I think these issues are related and are by design. Ferr2D tries to create uniform mesh pieces along the the path, and each sprite segment is squashed or stretched to fit the space between. So I think @koujaku presumes that all the body segments will have the same width. Hopefully he will correct me if I'm wrong.

You can add a width check to a method in the TerrainMaterialWindow that will fix the "not simple" issue you are having, but it won't solve the stretching problem; your wider piece will be squashed to make it the same size as the smallest piece.

I can point you in the right direction for the material editor via PM, but since the code is not public domain, I won't post here.

2. Lemmiwinqs

Lemmiwinqs

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with collider on my terrain. It doesnt follow my terrain curve and does something like this:

Notice the upper horizontal green line. That shouldn't be there.

MmMonika likes this.
  3. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Is there a way to prolong *just* the top collider length? It's confusing for the player to fall when graphically there is still space.
    I need a solution also for the background terrain, that only has the top collider enabled.

(btw: what's boiling? I love this asset and would like to know what's on the roadmap or in development!)

4. Rodlaiz

Rodlaiz

@flashframe Thank you very much for your answer, I'll try to rework my textures so the width of the bodies are equal and see if that solves both problems. I'm a bit surprised to be, apparently, the only one who tried to make a TOP texture with different widths, for variety sake ;)

5. flashframe

flashframe

I actually requested it as a feature on Twitter. The developer seems more active on there. Maybe you could in a request too? He might consider adding it then :)

6. Poulpyblasto

Poulpyblasto

I didn't come back after that post but this problem is solved, don't mind it.

So, I have another question : I have multiple layers in my platformer game and I want to apply a fog on them, according to how far a layer is from the camera. Does anyone know how to apply this fog with Ferr2D ? I'm looking around the shader scripts but I'm terrible at this unfortunately.

Thanks

7. mcbauer

mcbauer

So I have an issue when I import this package into my project.

It basically breaks my Puppet2d install.

I get 43 errors basically telling me this:

error CS0101: The namespace `Poly2Tri' already contains a definition for `DelaunayTriangle'
    error CS0101: The namespace `Poly2Tri' already contains a definition for `AdvancingFront'

etc

Any ideas on how I can make these 2 products compatible? I'd love to try your tool, but it's breaking my character controller at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

8. CDF

CDF

If you have access to both Source code from Ferr and Puppet, wrap the Poly2Tri classes from each in their respective namespaces

I'm guessing Puppet2D wraps its classes under a Puppet2D namespace?

9. flashframe

flashframe

They are both using Poly2Tri, so you have a duplicate of P2T.cs in your project. You need to delete one of these files.

10. s2quinnh

s2quinnh

I have a question about Version Control. We're using Git, and we're seeing a lot of Mesh.asset files that are changing, and it's also changing prefabs that have those meshes in them. I'm assuming just commit those files? The weird part is they're showing up when I haven't touched anything in the project. I'm thinking it could be from someone else's commit, they missed committing those files, so when I update it's finding all the changes and trying to apply them on mine.

Thanks for any clarification!

11. mcbauer

mcbauer

Yep that fixed it, thanks

12. freedom667

freedom667

i have a problem in EditorTools.cs. it gives `Camera' does not contain a definition for `current' at (222,48) and (223,48). I using 1.0.9 and unity version 5.2.3p1

13. magique

magique

Does this product automatically add polygon 2d colliders to the terrain?

14. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

Hello guys, someone know about shaders, could help me, I need to make a water and in the simplest method of all is to make a plan and put between ferrs, but there is a problem rendering the "water", anyone can help me.
    I'm using Unlit Tinted Texture Vertex Color Transparent to the edges, Unlit Tinted Texture Vertex Color to fill and Unlit Tinted Texture Vertex Color Transparent to the water.

http://puu.sh/nYU7J/cbfee74fe0.png
    http://puu.sh/nTz0I/627558076a.png
    http://puu.sh/nTzqM/93673693a2.png

15. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

16. magique

magique

17. _saby

_saby

18. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I think I'd use two half-planes, and create Sorting layers appropiately for each half, so that they get rendered correctly in front of, and behind, another sorting layer. Then, I would set the terrain and water sorting layers so that they get rendered correctly.

I did it in the screenshot above, in this page.

Is the creator still working on this asset? I can't see him answering.

19. ParityClaws

ParityClaws

Can anyone provide any tips to a complete beginner to drawing about how to go about creating textures for this plugin. I see there are tutorials on how to use the textures once you have created them but nothing regarding how you should go about creating them. I guess I am looking for a few simple tips, e.g. create them in this size and this type, use Illustrator or Inkscape etc. I understand this is a very vague question, but I am not really sure what to ask.

20. Cruz.Guinho

Cruz.Guinho

Hi, I use this template, to paint over in Photoshop, with this all textures clip are the same position and is pretty faster to setup the Ferr2dTerrain in Unity.

Attached Files:

breezinstein_iv likes this.
  21. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

I actually use this asset to make planets, and I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to change the cliff textures to be based on the steepness from the center of the planet rather than the generic up coordinate.

I also was wondering if you thought it would be possible to procedurally generate a planet like I have made, using this asset.

Thanks,
    Reference Video. Planet shown about 3 mins in.

22. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

someone has this problem or am I doing something wrong, I created a boolean to check whether it is day or night and so change the color texture using the vertex color, in the editor it change the values but not in the terrain, it's a bug or i need to call some function to update its color?

Code (CSharp):
    1.             for (int i = 0; i < ferrMaterials.Length; i++) {
    2.                 ferrMaterials [i].vertexColor = nightColor;
    3.             }
    http://puu.sh/ox5cT/a9d4195327.png
    but if i click on the terrain on scene editor it change to new color.
    http://puu.sh/ox5hV/12083d9fb0.png

23. SunshineSunshine

SunshineSunshine

Call "Build()" from Ferr2DT_PathTerrain

Too-Nerd-To-Die likes this.
  24. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

25. ionrain

ionrain

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to announce that I've finished a cartoon forest asset pack with support of Ferr2D. Here's the preview:

You can use it for prototyping or finished projects. The graphics is vector based and contains source images in Adobe Flash (Animate CC) format. So you can save it in any resolution or even in SVG. You can also change them in any way you like or hire someone to build what you want upon it rather than to start with scratch.

Feature list:
    - Popular cartoon style;
    - 2.5D look;
    - Ferr2D support. Materials include ground, platform, hills, bridge and animated water;
    - 50+ total objects;
    - Mobile-friendly. Pack doesn't use any image effects or fancy shaders that can harm performance;
    - Vector-based graphics. Save in any resolution or even in SVG;
    - Demo scene included!
    - Sources in Adobe Flash (Animate CC) format included!

Download it here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/57828

If you have any questions or feature requests leave them in corresponding Unity Forum thread or send via support email or twitter.

Hope, you'll like the pack, and can't wait to see what you'll be able to do with it! :)

NeatWolf and Too-Nerd-To-Die like this.
  26. biscito

biscito

so any news @kaujaku

27. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

Any News @koujaku ?
    Don't forget us!

28. AshyB

AshyB

Hey guys, how do you go about getting physics2d.raycasts working with ferr2d terrain? At editor time (not runtime). Far as I can tell, ferr only creates the colliders at runtime?

29. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

This is great news! Please make more! (maybe non cartoonish this time)

What happened to the creator? @koujaku hasn't logged for months now, is there a way to contact him, is this package abandoned? :(
    It's a unique asset, it would really be a pity not having more updates and improvements :(

30. breezinstein_iv

breezinstein_iv

He's way more active on twitter

31. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks for the info... on twitter, with which nick?

32. k3pp

k3pp

flashframe likes this.
  33. flashframe

flashframe

He's @koujaku on there too

NeatWolf likes this.
  34. xpachin

xpachin

A lot of things keeping me busy right now >.< I'm still doing stuff with Ferr2D, just not very quickly!
    from @koujaku

35. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

"I was hoping to get an update out soon, but I dunno when I'll have the time to wrap it up!"
    from @koujaku

Also, this video:
    https://twitter.com/koujaku/status/728643750679863297

"That's something you can do right out of the box =D"

What? How do you manage to create variable-width tendrils in Ferr2D?

Does anyone know how to?
    EDIT: oh, there is the Scale icon. Lol, I only discovered it now!

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  36. Bonusbob

Bonusbob

Hi!

First of all, awesome plugin!

I'm having an issue with the collider creation on iOS. I get the following error:

NullReferenceException: A null value was found where an object instance was required.
    at Ferr2DT_PathTerrain.GetColliderVerts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Ferr2DT_PathTerrain.RecreateCollider2D () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Ferr2DT_PathTerrain.RecreateCollider () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Ferr2DT_PathTerrain.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:

It works fine in the editor.

37. fks_off

fks_off

How can I use NavMesh baking with ferr2dterrain?

38. armedjack

armedjack

Hi folks!
    I got magic bug. Starting from random node edge texture disappears.

And all nodes of that part has up-arrow near:

Any ideas?

39. windvane

windvane

I have got crazy bug with DOTWEEN!!

while using dotween path , the Terrain just rotated itself while running the game.....(Y=90 , see the attached)
    and the most imporant is ... when I check the "Create Collider" box of Ferr2D Object...
    UNITY JUST FREEZED and stop response...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      305.2 KB
      Views:
  40. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

My idea is that the geometry of your terrain got way over the limits. It looks insanely smoothed. Have you tried lowering the smoothing value, so that the resulting terrain mesh gets simpler?

41. armedjack

armedjack

I've even unchecked "Smooth path". Doesnt help. And only 36 vertices total in terrain .

42. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Did you try the option to force terrain rebuild?

43. armedjack

armedjack

You mean Assets->Rebuild cash or what?

44. jackfreak

jackfreak

If you add a PolygonCollider2D to your Ferr2d terrain, it will bake its collider info right into that component and you will be able to use it in editor time. Be sure to uncheck/check the "Create collider" checkbox to force a refresh of the collider.

45. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

Hello devs, this is one of the scenarios we are producing, a good portion of the objects use ferr2D to extend the objects like the bridge, wall, floor and columns.
    Even the art in the early concepts what do you guys think of the environment?
    It is possible to notice the use of ferr2D in those objects?

46. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Not so evident but everyone knowing Ferr2D could guess it's using Ferr2D. Is that a problem?

47. armedjack

armedjack

still trying to findout source of "no edge" bug.
    created "no smooth" path and split terrain into 2 separate objects. doesn't help.

48. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

so no, we just want to know an opinion of who already used ferr2D, to understand if we are managing to leave as natural as possible.

49. tpetersen125

tpetersen125

Hi, I'm new to Ferr2d, and so far it has been really easy to use! My only problem is a glitch that is happening when I use my own texture for the outer tiles (I plan on making my own fill texture). When I use my own texture it makes an artifact that puts the whole tile set next to a corner. I was wondering if you would know why this is happening. The artifact is connected to the corner highlighted below. Here's a pic:
    upload_2016-5-22_2-41-58.png

50. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

U set a wrong configuration on Ferr Prefab Material Editor.