Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ferr2D Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by koujaku, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Xertefan

Xertefan

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to cut out parts of a terrain, to allow for windows or similar in an interior environment, or if the fill type Inverted Closed is as close as you can get?
    I would like to make windows at irregular intervals, so making it part of the fill material would unfortunately not work as I would like.

Also I was wondering if someone knows if Ferr can be used with a transparent material as shadows, but somehow get the edges of the material soft/blurred? I tried with making a softer edge, but it unfortunately made a slight seam between the fill and edge material despite my best efforts to get rid of it.

2. Finer_Games

Finer_Games

i'm interested in the blend/paint tool.

also, saw a twitter post re: some new gradient features -- would love to play with this :)

Too-Nerd-To-Die likes this.
  3. Game-Whiz

Game-Whiz

Hi,

I'm creating a rather large terrain at runtime (filltype skirt), and I'm having some precision issues on the fill bitmap on some parts of the terrain, when running on iOS devices (tested on an Iphone 4, iPad 3 and an iPhone 6S). It renders fine on the editor, it just renders these weird artifacts on mobile.

See an example here: https://www.anony.ws/image/JJ9d

Replacing half2 by float2 in VSOUT solves this issue.

Is this a known issue?

How are you generating UV coords? Are they always in 0..1 range?

Cheers,
    Alex

4. arkhament

arkhament

Hi @koujaku, is there any way to "ferr2d" tool can create or generate 3D? to have depth on the platforms and use the perspective camera?

5. openupmedia

openupmedia

Hi all, i just bought the Ferr2D to draw terrains for flash games.

I need more materials and don't have the skill to draw it.

If someone would like to earn money easily I need materials for snow, cave, desert terrains.

Contact me on adrien.cza@openup-media.com

6. Pharan

Pharan

(1)
    BUG: I keep getting this warning message in the log.
    Like all the time. It hasn't been harmful in my project. But of course, I'd prefer it if it didn't come up all the time.

(2)
    Also, if anyone wants to set SmartSnap ON by default, change the default value of Ferr2DT_SceneOverlay.smartSnap in code.

If you're actively scripting, changing code will recompile statics back to the values defined in the code, and re-disables SmartSnap. I mean one could make the argument that you could serialize/deserialize this bool with EditorPrefs so it survives recompiles... but I guess editing one line of code is arguably easy. Not discoverable though.

7. PoorbandTony

PoorbandTony

Hi everyone,

I've struggled to find an answer to this - but sure it's an easy fix and something I've overlooked. I'm getting the following results when I have the terrain set to skirt :

See how the skirt is breaching the left and right boundaries? Weirdly if I set it to closed or inverted closed, it looks fine.

I'm not sure what's causing it - perhaps it's my material but I've tried different fills to no avail.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
    Tony

8. PoorbandTony

PoorbandTony

Doh! Ignore me - the last 2 points were 'upside down' - so putting them above the horizontal sorted it. All is well again!

9. pat68

pat68

Hi,
    I've bought the Ferr2D for WP8 games.
    Currently I try to build against Windows Store / Universal 8.1.
    For debugging it looks you used Console.Writeline().

Unforunately the build fails with following errors, for example:
    "Assets\Ferr\2D\Scripts\poly2tri.cs\Triangulation\Delaunay\Sweep\DTSweep.cs(768,29): error CS0103: The name 'Console' does not exist in the current context

Any idea why this happens? Build against WP8 works.
    Of course I can comment or change to debug.log(), but I won't change the source package for further updates...

Greetings
    Pat

10. Pharan

Pharan

Yeah. WriteLine's just a Debug.Log. I would just comment it out and see what else is wrong.
    The triangulation stuff also looks like a third-party thing Ferr2D included to work.

11. Thoor

Thoor

We've just finished our first game made with Ferr2D and we had a blast doing so! Would like to thank @koujaku and the rest of the people here for making it possible since my studio was new to both Unity and Ferr2D!

The game is about Captain Cheezy and his adventures in the cheezy caves :)

The games is totally free with some optional in-app purchases if you dont feel like grinding your way further into the game. We've used a combination of UnityAds and Vungle, letting people keep half of their score when they crash if they watch a video ad.

Would be great if people would download it and give us some feedback and hopefully our upcoming game can get even better!

It's available both for iOS and Android
    App Store
    Google Play

Cheers
    Jonas Thoor
    inFocusmedia

Attached Files:

12. ababab5

ababab5

Hi,

Thanks for this amazing asset.

I have two question, in the screenshots.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,

AB Capture d’écran 2015-11-18 à 12.25.14.png Capture d’écran 2015-11-18 à 12.24.33.png

13. Cruz.Guinho

Cruz.Guinho

Hi,

I'm using a custom shader made in ShaderForge, but every time I use a Normal Map it turns the terrain black, though if I turn off the normal information it looks fine. Precisely, in a Unity3d gameobject plane this problem doesn't happens, only in Ferr2d Terrain.

I have tried using older versions of ShaderForge and it's still happening. In Ferr2D previous versions this feature worked without problems, but not anymore in the latests versions.

A similar problem occurs when I try to use a parallax mapping in the shader, as it doesn't work either.

Capture3.PNG Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG

Edit:

Fixed.
    It was happen because the mesh generated by Ferr2D don't had a tangent vector by default, but had a Create Tangents option in Ferr menu, only check it on and works well.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  14. GrooGadgets

GrooGadgets

Hey there,

I just bought this asset today and while it is extremely well made and fun to use, I have found it not suitable for what I need to do in my current game.

I am creating an "infinite Jumper" style game where I would like to create Ferr2D tiles to be able to build my world. While I can do this with a little work the biggest issue I have is creating prefabs which Ferr2D doesn't like at all.

I would love to see a simple solution that lets me bake the Ferr2D mesh as a collapsed copy, removing the scripts yet keeping the original Ferr2D model intact.

I believe this addition would make Ferr2D a much more flexible tool :)

Simon

15. biscito

biscito

hey any news about the update !? because the new smartsprite is pretty cool but your's is still better,
    so any idear ?

16. Pharan

Pharan

Also, Unity keeps pushing back their 2D SmartSprite feature.
    It was scheduled for this December.
    Then they moved it to March 2016.
    Now it's scheduled for June 2016.

@koujaku you still alive, man?

17. jeeqonunity

jeeqonunity

Hi @koujaku ,
    would you mind elaborating on the solution for @Thoor , process of breaking up terrain into multiple chunks? How do I go about doing that? Are there guides/documentation that I could look at? I have very similar problem and would love to try this out to see if it will solve our problem.
    Thank you very much for your time

18. MiniBeatBoy

MiniBeatBoy

Hi @koujaku, Within the built-in colliders of Ferr2D, is there any way to detect if the player is colliding with a wall vs colliding with the ground? I have tested ray casting from the player downwards and towards the sides and that works, but walls are not always going to be vertical. For example, in some case the ground could be at 30 degrees and a wall at 40, in which case the ray cast to the side may not work properly. Thanks!

19. biscito

biscito

add side collider to your character

20. mrwogs

mrwogs

@koujaku, are you still here? Are you supporting this tool? Still awaiting a response about the vertex painting tool. Thanks.

21. biscito

biscito

22. startleworks

startleworks

hi there.
    does anyone know how i can get rid of those artifacts in the corner?

Attached Files:

23. Skyboard_Studios

Skyboard_Studios

Whoo hoo!

Skyboard Studios is proud to announce Cell Splitters is now live!

Unity Forum Announcement

Cell Splitters uses Ferr2D 1.09.

During Development I had to modify Ferr2D for game features such as:
    • Full Tube / Pipe Terrain
    • User Generated Terrain
    • Top Edge and Bottom Edge Separation (as posted about earlier )
    • Edge Effectors
    I used Ferr2D in Cell Splitters to handle all the Vein Systems across the network (multiplayer game).

check it out!

Cell Splitters @ Google Play

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  24. biscito

biscito

happy new year @koujaku

yes i'm very curious about the update you showed 4 months ago,
    please please, give us feedback

cheers

25. goran-plackov

goran-plackov

26. Opde

Opde

On Unity 5.3.1p3 and Ferr2D 1.0.9 I get the following warning:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader warning in 'Ferr/Lit Textured Vertex Color (4 lights|lightmap +1 light)': loop only executes for 1 iteration(s), forcing loop to unroll at Assets/Ferr/2DTerrain/Shaders/Ferr2DTCommon.cginc(97) (on d3d11)
    3. Compiling Fragment program
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_TEXTURE_ALPHASPLIT_ALLOWED
    Any fixes or action required? Improved shaders?

27. Chiberpowder

Chiberpowder

Hi everyone,

I've got an issue with Physics Material while using Ferr2D... Which is an amazing asset by the way. I'm working on a platformer game. By default, while my character was in air and I made him go against a wall, he was awfully sticking to it. I fixed this by applying a "Physics Material" to my character, with a friction value of 0.

Here's what my terrain actually looks like :

As you can see, there is a wall at the left of the screen, totally vertical at its top, but only 70°/75° vertical at its bottom.

The new problem is that my character can actually climb this 70° wall by only walking !!! Is there a way to fix this ? I'm considering using raycasts but I hope there is a more elegant way.

Thank you for taking your time to answer me !

28. biscito

biscito

hey @koujaku

you are probably working your ass of on some cool update and ferr2D.5 ( i'v check your twitter )
    but please please give is some news

docsavage likes this.
  29. koujaku

koujaku

Hey guys! Sorry about not being too active on here lately, been working on a lot of different things! As always, just a reminder that I always answer twitter, and I'm generally pretty good about email too.

I plan on doing a small update in preparation for Unity 5.4! I'm primarily going to have the vertex color and gradient stuff in, but I'm going to hold off on the improved pathing system and perfect corners for now. As much as I'd like to have the new path stuff in, it's a bit more work than I have time for right now, and I'd really like to get at least something out! (It's been a while, sorry guys~)

Right now I'm spending most of my time on the baked vertex light tool, which will be an excellent complement to Ferr2D in addition to applying to other stuff such as GearVR and 3D mobile, where performance is super critical! It'll basically make lighting your game free (performance wise) which is pretty darned exciting. Especially since lightmaps really don't work for 2D games! After that, I'll be getting back to the better pathing system and the vertex painting tools =D

Here's what the vertex lighting tool will look like with Ferr2D, and note that there's a lot of (static) lights on here, and it still runs fantastically well on mobile =D
    Ferr2D VertLit.png

@Chiberpowder, Collision events will provide information such as the normal of the terrain at the collision point, which can be particularly useful for evaluating the slope and such, but even so, I'd still recommend raycasting it instead of relying on the Unity physics system! More control is important, since character controllers are the lifeblood of the game!

@Opde, Probably not too important, but I'll definitely take care of that for the update!

@saruzaru, Those are artifacts from mip-mapping caused by squeezing. It's a tough problem to avoid entirely, but you could try reducing the smoothness of the mesh, or making a more gradual curve. Anything to space the vertices out a little further from eachother!

@avrigus, You, should be able to do that with a bit of fiddling already, but it probably could be a lot easier, I agree!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    LoDx and biscito like this.
  30. docsavage

docsavage

@koujaku

Not posted here before but bought this in the sale last year. Was beginning to get concerned it had been abandoned with lack of info. Great to see you ok and still supporting it. Really like that vertex lighting tools as well. This is a great asset with great potential.

Thanks

doc

31. Keitaro3660

Keitaro3660

wow really love that vertex light! :D
    please do it with Ori and blind forrest reference for the lighting hehe :D

32. biscito

biscito

33. Juicy

Juicy

Just some questions here so I don't send too many mails :p Any way to control the curvature of the terrain locally? (if i want some places to be flat, others rounded). Also whenever i change the orientation of the edge material it does not save and resets when the level is loaded or the terrain is modified.

34. koujaku

koujaku

@Juicy, I sadly don't have local control over the curves, it's on my list for when I do the path update! For saving, that might be a bug.. I'll look into that, but in the meantime, if you move a vert after overriding edges, it should force it to save properly!

35. koujaku

koujaku

While you're waiting for an update, Regnar Forge just released an art pack specifically for Ferr2D! That's pretty awesome, you should go check it out on the asset store! Do him a favor and rate it if you give it a try, I'd love to see more of this sort of thing on the store!

...and it is particularly beautiful =D
    JunglePackArt.jpg

JunglePackArt2.jpg

Andrige_ and Too-Nerd-To-Die like this.
  36. shopguy

shopguy

That artwork by Regnar is stunning, thanks for sharing! As far as getting more artists to make assets for Ferr2D, I agree that would be great. One thought after reading Regnar's notes found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/npkml5pxuzoo7dw/RegnarForge_tutorial.pdf?dl=0

...seems like a lot of steps to get things setup for Ferr2D. I mean, nothing too tricky, but yes, some extra work. Might get more artists inspired to make packages if there was an easier way for their customers to have things work "out of the box". I haven't get it much thought, it's almost bed time (ha!), but something along the lines of them being able to export the terrain settings to a file, that they can go ahead and bundle with the artwork, and Ferr2D will import/use those settings.

Heck.. I imagine that might already be possible, since Ferr2D must be saving that info to files already, so maybe just a matter of teaching artists what/how to include it, so end-users don't have to recreate all of that.. and/or making sure the license is setup so they can include that, but of course make it so things still can't work if you don't own Ferr2D (I do :).

37. p6r

p6r

@koujaku : Yes, I have seen this wonderful asset for Ferr2D and I asked Regnar to see with you if you could do something together to allow the registered users of Ferr2D + Jungle pack to have the demo scenes !?!
    Because it's important for users not to be frustrated without the demo scenes with right lighting, parameters,...
    Is there a solution if Regnar and you agree to share the demos as long as we can provide the invoices for example !?!
    6R

38. koujaku

koujaku

I have been thinking about publishing the Common part of my framework as something other people can re-distribute, and provide components that allow interaction between different plugins. It's a bit of a tricky thing to do right though, since once it's out and about, it's difficult to update or change! We'll see, I may try and include something with this next release, at least as a placeholder to make it easier.

I have been talking with him and swapping solutions, so I expect you might see some demo stuff from him in the near future (though I can't promise anything on his behalf, so take that with a grain of salt!).

shopguy and biscito like this.
  39. RegnarForge

RegnarForge

Thanks for sharing the info here, and for nice words :)
    As @koujaku says, I'll try to include demo scene in next update. However the terrain will be flatten, meaning that it (Ferr2D terrain) wouldn't be editable but all other prefabs would work just normal.
    Lets hope that in future graphic designers/assets creators will be able to include Ferr2D terrain materials in their packages, it would be uber-exteremely-amazingly-superb ;)
    Keeping my fingers crossed!

shopguy and Too-Nerd-To-Die like this.
  40. Andrige_

Andrige_

Man, that Regnar Forge pack looks amazing. If I understand it correctly from that PDF someone linked for that, you can make the 3D-looking water look like Regnar's Pack using only Ferr2D and the wavy shader it comes with. Can anyone give a tutorial of sorts on how exactly?

41. davidkrings

davidkrings

I just spent a while trying to resolve the same "edges don't appear when editing / creating new terrain" problem. After some googling around and experimenting, I think I've figured out the solution: You cannot import the sample TerrainMaterials properly if your Project Settings -> Editor has an Asset Serialization Mode of "Force Text". Never thought of that :D

This seems like a fairly fundamental thing that's easy to get wrong, so any word on a FAQ section for starters?

42. Poulpyblasto

Poulpyblasto

Hello Koujaku, thanks for your amazing tool !
    Everything was going great in my project with Ferr2D, until I encountered a huge blocking problem. I can't say when, why nor how this happened, but I have an error with the terrains I created. All of them are telling me this error when I click on them in the hierarchy :

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException : Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. Ferr2DT_PathTerrain.GetColliderVerts() (at Assets/Ferr/2DTerrain/Scripts/Ferr2DT_PathTerrain.cs:521)
    The corresponding line in the "PathTerrain" script is the following :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float  fillDist = (terrainMaterial.ToUV(terrainMaterial.GetBody((Ferr2DT_TerrainDirection)0, 0)).width * (terrainMaterial.edgeMaterial.mainTexture.width / pixelsPerUnit)) / (Mathf.Max(1, splitCount)) * splitDist;
    This is really critical because my grounds basically don't exist anymore, and my characters are falling through them in the deep vacuum...

Do you have any clues about how to fix this error ?
    Thanks

43. Cruz.Guinho

Cruz.Guinho

Hi, I had a problem in the corners, like in this image Capture1.PNG , the Top and the Left are not in the same Z position Capture2.PNG , but when I set the Standard shader to Cutout this was solved, does someone know why? Capture3.PNG

44. biscito

biscito

any updates ?

45. Slawo

Slawo

@koujaku Hi!

I bought Ferr2d and wrote a little translator to transform our JSON tiled based files into nice looking fer2d prefabs.
    Unfortunately the whole editor now crawls to a stop when I try to compile or to launch (play) a scene.

Apparently Ferr2d needs to create meshes for each prefab (in a subfolder named Meshes).

Is this an expected behaviour? Is there a way to disable this?

This truly completely breaks the editor. So to us it's a major issue. So far we "fixed" it by not using Ferr2d prefabs, we use a special class to store all the geometries and to generate prefabs at runtime. But this is a temporary hack as we need to be able to create the prefabs with all the additional non-ferr2d objects.

46. Lemmiwinqs

Lemmiwinqs

Hi guys,

does mossyfill material have to be in any special format? i put some png in (tried 512x512 and 1024x1024) and it does some wierd stuff. Doesn't repeat material as it should. Am I doing something wrong?

47. sirio21

sirio21

Texture Wrap Mode set to Repeat

48. _saby

_saby

Hello,

how is possible to use Ferr2D with 2D Toolkit?

Is there possibility to switch between @1x, @2x and @4x sprites?
    Or is there other solution?

Thank you!

49. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi,

Is there any chance Ferr2D is going to go 2.5D (apart from the texture "Slant" feature, which sometimes leads to unexpected results).

Like, scattering and deforming a 3d "block" tile to follow the spline?

What about applying some deformation to the inner part of the spline, so that it somehow follows the deformations of the spline itself?

Kind regards,
    Alessandro Salvati

50. Rodlaiz

Rodlaiz

Hi,

I'm using Ferr2D and I'm loving it :)
    I've bumped over 2 annoying issues on the texture editor, maybe you can help me:

A) I'm trying to use a not simple TOP but every time I get back to the editor and open the TOP again the Simple option is ticked (automatically by itself) and all my sprites are messed up. Is this a bug?
    B) How can I avoid the stretching of the sprites of the TOP? Should all the TOP sprites have the same width?

Thank you!