Search Unity

Feedbacks

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by optimise, Jul 28, 2018.

1. optimise

optimise

1) When I drag and drop folder to addressables then add new prefab to that folder, it does not update and refresh prefab and its assets automatically. I hope it's automatically update and refresh when u drag and drop the folder.

2) It seems like currently asset bundle is built based on one group one asset bundle. I hope there is a UI to setup how many asset bundle should be built and the content of the asset bundle easily. It needs to be able to configure enormous amount of asset bundles with simple UI setup. Futhermore, it also needs to automatically figure out shared asset and create a shared asset bundle and it allow to move out some of the asset out of the shared asset bundle to build another new shared asset bundle.

3) I have the use case that first time user downloads asset bundles from web server to the mobile phone and save them into the phone storage then second time it will load asset bundles directly from phone. Each time when you run the game, it will check for new updates then download and/or update asset bundles automatically if there is new version of asset bundle available aka differential patching. It can automatically figure out how many asset bundle needs to download and the file size of each asset bundle. I hope addressable can automate this that I can just build new asset bundles then upload the new asset bundle catalog and all the new asset bundles to the web server. When user launches the game, it will download the new catalog then compare with the old catalog. Addressable will figure out which asset bundle should download and/or update then save to phone storage. Addressable also will automatically delete the asset bundle that is no longer be used based on new catalog to free up phone storage. It will just work out of the box.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  2. unity_bill

unity_bill

Hi, thanks for trying out Addressables,
    1. this is the UI not refreshing. When you actually build or go into play mode, the UI will refresh and the proper things will be built. I've noted a "UI auto-refresh" in our bug list.
    2. Right now your only two options are one large bundle per group, or one bundle per top-level-entry (whatever was marked as addressable, asset or folder). In the near term, we are working on a solution to prevent/eliminate duplicated assets, then we will later have better controls to manage what bundle setup you wind up with.
    3. Addressables.PreloadDependencies will download all dependencies (bundles) based on an addresses or labels. The IAsyncOperation returned has a PercentComplete field you can use to do a loading bar. If you have already downloaded things, and they are in the cache, you can just call this method again, and it will preload very quickly. As to updates, within our next release or two, we will be providing a clear process and menu item for building updated content. The caching of those bundles is done by the Unity caching system. We do not yet expose the options of that system, but will.

Thanks for your feedback,
    Bill

optimise likes this.