Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback wanted - Your feeling about 2019.2 in its current state (b7)

Discussion in '2019.2 Beta' started by LeonhardP, Jul 5, 2019.

?

How would you feel if we released 2019.2 in its current state (b7)?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2019.
  1. 1 (I would be furious! 2019.2 is absolutely unusable!)

6 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. 2 (I would be disappointed. 2019.2 does not feel ready.)

33 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. 3 (I would have mixed feelings. 2019.2 is good enough to be used, but not great.)

36 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. 4 (I would feel positive about Unity's quality standards. 2019.2 is in good shape.)

28 vote(s)
    25.5%
  5. 5 (Ship it already! 2019.2 is a prime example of excellent software quality.)

7 vote(s)
    6.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Dear beta users,
    We would like to invite you to tell us about your gut feeling regarding the current state of 2019.2 (b7).

A gut feeling should NOT be based on data or bugs or repro projects, but on how the product feels in your hands.

In addition to the poll at the top, here are questions we'd like your answers to:
    1. Are you using 2019.2 in a real production? If not, did something keep you from doing so?
    2. What feature(s) are you most excited about?
    3. What is/are the most annoying/painful part(s) of 2019.2 today? (Please remember to submit bug reports for the issues you encounter and reference them when you post about them here.)
    4. How did your experience with 2019.2 develop during the alpha/beta phase?
    5. How would you feel if we released 2019.2 in its current state (b7)? What makes you feel this way? Please elaborate.
      1. I would be furious! 2019.2 is absolutely unusable!
      2. I would be disappointed. 2019.2 does not feel ready.
      3. I would have mixed feelings. 2019.2 is good enough to be used, but not great.
      4. I would feel positive about Unity's quality standards. 2019.2 is in good shape.
      5. Ship it already! 2019.2 is a prime example of excellent software quality.

Please note that Visual Studio issues you might have been experiencing due to the Visual Studio Editor package will most likely get resolved with an upgrade to the upcoming 2019.2.0b8 since we're reverting the move of the support into a package for now.

Thanks all, your feedback is much appreciated!

2. Dwight_P

Dwight_P

I currently am not using 2019.2 in an active development project, but I was really hoping I would be able to. The problem is that I just spent a lot of time making my own toon shaders that depend on a custom node to properly track lighting in the LWRP. Aside from a bug with the ambient node in 2019.1 (Reported) still exists in 2019.2 (from what I can tell) I have it where I want it. When trying to merge to 2019.2 I noticed custom node were gone. I also noticed that many of the distortion vfx were no longer working correctly in shader graph after updating to 2019.2. Yes, I did update to the latest version via the package manager, still remained broken. I didn't dive to much into it following that.

Although, what I am really waiting on is the updates particle system, the bugs to be worked out in the terrain system (brush programming issues related to preset brushes), and a few other things I can't seem to recall off the top of my head right now.

Currently, based on the needs of my project, I would not recommend anyone converting over if you're interested in a toon style design as 2019.2 lacks custom nodes where are needed to replicate some needed lighting features.

3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I don't have a problem with it.

But Im not going to use it, Im moving straight from 2018.4 to 2019.3

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Nope, just opened a few times a copy of my spare-time project to run some tests.

Personally I'm exicted for the TypeCache API, as it hopefully makes the editor a little bit faster again.

Otherwise mobile performance improvements sound nice, but I'm doing mobile at work only and we're mostly on LTS releases. Thus the earliest we'll benefit from those improvements is probably when we switch from 2018.4 to 2019.4 LTS.

Editor performance has worsen a lot of the years. For me, Unity 4.6 is the last version that actually felt responsive. From then on, each new Unity release caused the editor to get even slower.

This went so far, that I stopped working on my spare-time project, because the editor can't catch up with how fast I want to work with it or how fast I actually used to work with it. I've to wait for the editor all the time and this is frustrating me, so I stopped using Unity at home and only occasionally do some performance tests.

A while ago I compared Unity 2019.3 to 4.6, but the same applies to 2019.2, so here are some of those links.
    1. https://forum.unity.com/threads/cas...playmode-time-significantly-increased.692005/
    2. https://forum.unity.com/threads/cas...ty-project-takes-significantly-longer.691996/
    3. https://forum.unity.com/threads/cas...o-open-editor-significantly-increased.691951/
    4. https://forum.unity.com/threads/case-1158368-hierarchy-window-performance-degradation.684280/
    5. https://forum.unity.com/threads/performance-overview.676108/

I'm disappointed with Unity releases or more specifically player and editor performance for several years. I'm probably disappointed with this release as well, because it's near unusable for me. But on the other hand, this release doesn't bring much to the table I need atm, so I can happily skip it and hope the next version is addressing my issues. So I picked option 2 from the poll.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    mGMM, BradZoob, Xarbrough and 6 others like this.
  5. tertle

tertle

1. Are you using 2019.2 in a real production? If not, did something keep you from doing so?
    Yes*

TypeCache is actually the only feature I can name off the top of my head so let's go with that.

3. What is/are the most annoying/painful part(s) of 2019.2 today?
    Nothing

Had some early issues with an earliery alpha test (mostly with packages though). Went back to 2019.1 and only recently (b6) started using 2019.2 again and have had no issues since then.

5. How would you feel if we released 2019.2 in its current state (b7)
    I have had no issues with 2019.2b7 so would be happy for release.

6. liiir1985

liiir1985

Yes, we have to because we are using LWRP, and LWRP in 2019.2 is way much more stable than in 2018.3/4

LWRP 6.7

We are experiencing player crashes on 64bit windows, if we enable graphic jobs and Development build, the player will crash every 5 mintues inside GfxDeviceD3D11Base::SetupDefferredRasterState(void), we have to turn off graphic job or development build setting
    There's another thing we've noticed in 2019.2, if we open unity on a computer without internet connection. The performance of Editor is terrible, it costs over 50ms a frame inside EditorConnection.PollAllCustomMessages, and makes the editor impossible to use. However when I disable the network adapter once and reenable it, the problem is gone. But I need to repeat this time to time

We just migrated from 2018.3 to 2019.2, so don't know how the beta was

Beside the crash and the editor performance problem, others are fine

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    futurlab_peterh likes this.
  7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback so far!
    It would be very helpful if you could submit bug reports for these issues, if possible with reproduction projects. It looks like the graphic job crash is a known issue but it's impossible to tell for sure without having a look at this specific incidence and another reproduction project would also help us verify potential fixes more securely.

Edit:
    Issue tracker link to the graphics jobs bug

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  8. pHghost

pHghost

Before releasing any of the stable v2019 versions, you teased a new UI, but so far it seems like that hasn't been implemented yet. Is that still coming at some point, or has it been abandoned?

9. If you're talking about the editor UI: 2019.3. And it has some of the new UI-stuff already.

10. fherbst

fherbst

1. Are you using 2019.2 in a real production?
      Yes. We are in a Quest production that we started when LWRP came out of preview, because our performance tests suggested a 4x performance improvement over built-in. Note that the production is heavily delayed because of the pain points below.

LWRP 6.7

Most painful is the limited testing that seems to have went into LWRP in Android VR. I opened lots of bug reports, each with different types of visual corruption, most of which would have been caught by proper automated tests of combinations of options. (I know the testing farm is being set up to improve this. But you were asking about painful parts, and this is painful right now.)

Now, this wouldn't have much to do with 2019.2 if not for the fact that LWRP releases and Unity versions are so tightly coupled now. It's really annoying that bugs seem to only be fixed for 2019.3 and rarely, if ever, backported to 2019.2/1 anymore.

I was already forced from 2019.1 release to 2019.2 alpha on this same project for the same reason, and I'm afraid it will happen again with 2019.2 (release comes out, I can't use it but have to go on to 2019.3 since crucial bugs are only fixed there). Only reason I'm not going to 2019.3a yet is that not enough of the bugs have been fixed to justify such an upgrade.

See above. Some of the bugs I reported were fixed in 2019.3a (in a newer LWRP which requires internal Unity changes not happening in 2019.2), none were backported.

5. How would you feel if we released 2019.2 in its current state (b7)?
      I would be disappointed. 2019.2 does not feel ready. I would wish for proper testing of different package versions against each other before releasing a Unity version. Yes, there is "verified to work with 2019.x". But it seems combinations between packages and platforms break a lot, even if promoted as fully working. 2019.2 + LWRP + ARFoundation doesn't work. 2019.2 + LWRP + Android VR has tons of bugs preventing us from releasing our product. USDZ package breaks at runtime with IL2CPP backend in 2019.1/2 (yes, it's still in preview). I could go on (and yes, there are bug reports for these).

Immu likes this.
  11. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Man i thought i am alone with that. Honestly i feel so bad because of that. It lags, toggle window full screen is so slow. Starting the engine now is so slow as well ! Selecting many materials at once makes the editor so slow that it takes a minute to get responsive - this issue is since a few versions back. When editor comes on focus it needs a couple of seconds to get responsive, and i tried to use the profiled and it showed something about rebuilding UI canvases. This is every time when editor gets on focus.

However i tried the 2019.3 version from a link using the new editor UI and i think it was much more responsive. I did not test it that much though. But yeah, editor performance is one of the main issues i have now which makes the development much slower. 2019.2b7 also crashes constantly, like on every 10-15 play mode entries.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  12. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

1. Yes, i am using 2019.2 b7 in a project.
    2. Not looking into new feature, mainly hoping for optimizations.
    3. The editor is so slow and the scenes are starting/stopping really slow. It can take like 10 seconds for a scene with a small terrain with some trees and the HUDs available in the game.
    4. ---
    5. Does not feel ready !

futurlab_peterh and EvOne like this.
  13. Immu

Immu

As many other users.
    - LWRP and Unity Engine updates are too tighly coupled (again, teased way too much in advance so lot of people start using it early, and even now no backports whereas it's out of preview, feels like cheat)
    - Editor is slower on each version, this one included (hopes for 2019.3 but still, worrying)
    - 2019.2 feels more like a 2019.1.B, and 2019.3 feels like it should be 2019.2
    - Does not feel ready but again. Doesn't feel like its gonna implementing any of the fixes I need in my first lines until 2019.3 anyway.

ROBYER1 and fherbst like this.
  14. Stormy102

Stormy102

Honestly, I'd be happy to wait until you've fixed all of the major bugs. To consider releasing with 25 known issues that aren't to be sniffed at, it just feels like you're trying to rush. I'd rather wait and get a stable Unity release than one which is available but not as stable.

kdubnz likes this.
  15. pHghost

pHghost

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I thought it was supposed to arrive with 2019.1 -- not that that's a huge priority, I was just wondering.

16. snacktime

snacktime

It feels about average for a beta at this stage. But it's one of those versions that just doesn't have much interesting in it. Likely we would skip it entirely and wait for 2019.3.

Stormy102 likes this.
  17. isaac-ashdown

isaac-ashdown

Yes, because we found we got much faster compile times with 2019.1, but couldn't move to that because of 1148469. Once that was fixed in 2019.2 we went to it pretty much immediately.
    1. What feature(s) are you most excited about?
    We were hoping that we'd be able to use LWRP for shader graph, but it has other issues with terrain it seems so we haven't been able to yet. Other than that, any and all editor optimisations, in particular compile time.
    1. What is/are the most annoying/painful part(s) of 2019.2 today? (Please remember to submit bug reports for the issues you encounter and reference them when you post about them here.)
    Not being able to attach a debugger by hitting F5 in VS is annoying (see https://forum.unity.com/threads/2019-2-0b4-and-vs-2019.690316/#post-4717652). But at least there's a workaround.
    There appear to be some issues with a missing component script in Rewired that I suspect is related to the UnityEngine.UI.dll problem. But not totally sure,.
    1. How did your experience with 2019.2 develop during the alpha/beta phase?
    We moved to 2019.2.0b7 without using any previous version of 2019.2.
    1. How would you feel if we released 2019.2 in its current state (b7)? What makes you feel this way?
    Wouldn't be too bad, but at least without a fix for the VS issue it would feel like it was premature as that adds like 5 seconds to my workflow around 100 times a day which is a bit much.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  18. 5argon

5argon

No, double clicking C# script and not open VSCode in the correct file and line is the deal breaker. The VSCode package plugin still doesn't work.

- Timeline 1.1.0 package potentially contains a fix that is a blocker for my game's release. (Deterministic control track evaluation, and even frame number bug fix) but it seems to not arriving at 2019.1 for very long time.
      - I want to see the sprite editor package code and see if I could make something more.
      - Sliced UI pixel per unit will greatly increase my UI variations I could assemble from very few pieces. I already using duplicate texture only for varying pixel per unit. (for thinner border, etc.)
      - Screen.cutouts, UI design in games will have a lot more room to play with.
      - ClipEditor, TrackEditor, and MarkerEditor
      - I don't do 3D games so other features are kinda out of reach. But new AI denoiser may be used for my hobby Unity-based music videos.

3. What is/are the most annoying/painful part(s) of 2019.2 today? (Please remember to submit bug reports for the issues you encounter and reference them when you post about them here.)

Double clicking C# script is not talking properly with my VSCode.

I can't stay in 2019.2 because of VSCode problem. When I found a bug in 2019.1, I go to 2019.2 to reproduce it and sometimes found more. The I try something else in 2019.2 before go back to 2019.1.

5. How would you feel if we released 2019.2 in its current state (b7)? What makes you feel this way? Please elaborate.

I would have mixed feelings. 2019.2 is good enough to be used, but not great. Well the thing for me is only VSCode..

19. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

What were the other terrain issues?

20. isaac-ashdown

isaac-ashdown

Well mainly it was that we've got a custom terrain shader and it would've been some work to get that running with LWRP. But even with the default terrain material and LWRP, with our setup there were issues with grass/details being culled strangely.

21. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

This makes me nervous to upgrade engine version now, still on 2019.1 but the majority of my scenes involve Terrain and Detail/grass meshes.

22. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

What could cause that - 30 seconds to start a scene !?
    Seems related to editor windows!
    I am waiting for 2019.2 b8 in order to test if things are better !

upload_2019-7-11_12-43-21.png

23. isaac-ashdown

isaac-ashdown

These issues are only with LWRP, which is optional.

24. Elecman

Elecman

ROBYER1 likes this.
  25. fherbst

fherbst

Since you asked for pain points I thought I'd take the time to report myself with an actual production project going through the pain of updating from 2019.2.0b5 to 2019.2.0b9 (what before Unity 2019 lifecycle usually was a smooth experience, just recently upgraded an old project from 5.3 to 2018.4 without issues).

Downlaoded 2019.2.0b9, opening project that was in 2019.2.0b5 for quite a while now. I didn't update before because I was waiting for LWRP updates which are now in (6.9.0).
    I marked things that feel like bugs or regressions in bold.

My Update Experience
    • opening project in the new version, some errors about internal unity UI package
      tcHXk5NMfe.png
    • fortunately I'm already used to that, restarting Unity makes that one disappear.
    • next finding, the Burst package now has an update that it didn't have before and that is required because otherwise I can't compile anymore. (Burst+Math 1.04 in 2019.2.0b5 vs. Burst+Math 1.1.1 in 2019.2.0b9).
    • ok, updating Burst. Need to restart, then that error goes away
    • next up, LWRP updates - this is the main reason I wanted to try 2019.2.0b9, so I upgrade LWRP to 6.9.0
    • result is ShaderGraph errors + can't compile anymore
      c9pdVuBvTV.png
    • oh, ok, yeah I know that one already as well, despite ShaderGraph and Core RP being versioned dependencies of LWRP, PackageManager didn't manage to upgrade them automatically.
    • so, next up, manual upgrade of both Core RP and ShaderGraph
    • every single shader in the project is compiled for every single of these updates (would have been nice to press one button and wait instead of 3 buttons and 3 waits)
    • the ShaderGraph update now has forced a partial reimport it seems (Unity stuck on "Importing Small Assets" - took 20 minutes. Then it started reimporting all FBX files. Is there an AssetPostprocessor in ShaderGraph?! Then the Shadergraphs. Then all prefabs)
    • so, couple of cups of coffee later (after ~30min, on a high-end machine), coming back, I'm greeted with new errors I haven't seen before about AssetPreviewUpdater and Shader properties
      upload_2019-7-12_10-32-36.png
    • again, Unity restart fixes that one
    • after it opens up, greeted with another new error that I didn't have before
      upload_2019-7-12_10-34-2.png
      (note that I was able to properly build/deploy to Android with this project before, will see whether it still works in a minute)
    • also, since PackageManager is still open, it might as well report a new visual corruption in the UI that I think wasn't there before (note the fancy double arrows and also the arrows not being positioned in the center of the line
      J67o8OL6CV.gif
    • OK, let a build attempt run through - didn't succeed. New error, not seen before!
      Code (CSharp):
      1. Unable to find player assembly: C:\git\project\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\UnityEngine.TestRunner.dll
      2. UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
      3. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler:OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLsImpl(BuildReport) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.1/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:166)
      4. Unity.Burst.Editor.BurstAotCompiler:OnPostBuildPlayerScriptDLLs(BuildReport) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.1.1/Editor/BurstAotCompiler.cs:46)
      5. Error building Player: 2 errors
    • turns out Burst Tests asmdef references UnityEditor.TestRunner and nunit and is (I can only assume incorrectly) set to "Included in all platforms" instead of Editor only
      either that wasn't the case on 0b5 or it wasn't a problem (note that "Unable to find player assembly" is logged as a warning but prevents the build from happening)
    • had to go into text editor and manually edit the asmdef file inside the package cache (since package files are locked from inside Unity), just to be able to build again - just added "Editor" in "includePlatforms"
    • after that, I was able to build again
    • Shader Compilation time is up ~6x compared to 2019.2.0b5 now (I literally can see that it's only doing ~30 shader variants per second, while before it felt like ~200 even on a complete shader recompile).
    • It looks like the Shader Compilation progressbar UI is super responsive now. Just a guess, might it be that there's an UI update after every single compiled shader variant resulting in a slowdown to max. 30-60 fps?
      Note: would be great to have an "estimated time left" on the "Compiling Shader Variants" window. It really takes a long time, even with Optimize Meshes disabled.
    • good news is, after going through all this the project is now in the process of building! (that's a better experience than the time I tried Unity 2019.3.0a5 with this project).
    • EDIT: was too happy too soon. Unity crashed somewhere after begin halfway through the shader compilation (not sure, didn't watch the screen). I'll restart and try again.
    • and the journey continues. After restarting Unity (no new errors) and starting a new build that went through shader compilation/stripping fine (I watched this time), I'm greeted with new errors:
    • reimported the Lightweight RP package (rightclick > reimport in Project window), now trying a new build again
    • new build failed with the same errors. OK, so this is a "real error" now.
    • After opening one of the files in question (Lightweight2D.hlsl) I immediately see that the compiler is right - output isn't initialized. Actually, it's not even used here. It's a damn typo right there. It should be "input". A line was wrongly copypasted from the vertex shader.
      Note that I'm not even using anything that would require the Lightweight2D shaders to be included. I see that the Shader Compiler takes a while (and some Variants) for Lightweight2D-SimpleLit though.
    • fixing that file brings the build errors down to 2 (the ones with the BLENDINDICES)
    • opening and re-saving those two ShaderGraph files doesn't help (still those 2 errors)
    • fortunately they are outdated anyways, so I can happily delete these two files
    • trying another build. This time, it went through! And has approx. the same size as the one before, and works the same. My journey that started with "hey, LWRP 6.9 is out, let's update to Unity 2019.2.0b9 so I can use it" comes to an end.
    Summary
    • overall process took 4 hours and counting (I had plenty of time writing this blog post during all the imports/reimports/compiles/builds though)
    • not a single second was spent on fixing things in my scripts or the parts of Unity that I actually touched in this project
    • updating LWRP package took 3x as long as it should (since I had to manually update Core RP, ShaderGraph, and LWRP to the same version), updating ShaderGraph caused a complete reimport (it's ok if it has to - just a pain point)
    • I needed to restart Unity several times just to fix random errors of the "well, that's probably gone after a restart" kind
    • I needed thorough knowledge of asmdef files and how to manually edit them outside of Unity to even be able to build again, plus I will have to do that every single time Unity decides to automagically update the PackageCache (haven't found a way to disable that yet)
    • Unity crashed on building on the first attempt after fixing all of the above (it didn't crash in 2019.2.0b5)
    • after that, more errors appeared. I was able to delete some files that gave errors, and had to dive right into HLSL shader code in LWRP and fix a typo in a method that seems to not have been tested at all. Then, and only then, was I able to build again.

Sorry for hijacking this feedback thread. If I had known what I'm getting into I would have opened a separate thread for this.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Immu, Metron, EvOne and 8 others like this.
  26. fherbst

fherbst

Since I was so impressed with the amount of errors and in-depth manual work needed for upgrading that project I tried starting from scratch with a new project, created in 2019.2.0b9.

My New Project From Scratch Experience
    • went to Hub, created a new project in 2019.2.0b9 with LWRP selected
    • opening project works fine
    • contrary to previous versions, shaders compile on the first start, no need to restart Unity a couple of times anymore - great!
    • went to PackageManager, selected Lightweight RP, pressed on Upgrade
    • Unity updates the package, goes into "cyan shader compilation mode" and crashes immediately.
    • Restarted Unity, all looking good.
    • Windows Build of the sample scene - works
    • Android Build of the sample scene - shader compilation takes ages (seems it's way more Variants than for Windows Desktop for some reason)
    • peeking into Lightweight2D.hlsl in LWRP shows the same issue, but the default scene doesn't seem to hit that particular shader
    • Android Build went through
    • I can't reproduce the issue, seems the Lightweight2D.hlsl isn't used in any case, not even when I add a CustomRenderDataAsset for 2D Lighting.
    • after adding the exact manifest and project settings of the project above, the build failed one time with the same warning (about Burst Testing dll) and the same error (about Lightweight2D.hlsl)
    • on the next build the warning is still there but the error gone and building works again.
    • I can't reproduce the weird ShaderGraph shader issue that only happened with 2 of my shaders

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Immu and phil_lira like this.
  27. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

@fherbst thanks for sharing this info here. Regarding the LWRP issue:

We will fix the Lightweight2D.hlsl error in shader asap. Sadly this was not caught in our automated testing suite for packages, we are missing some tooling on XR side. To give some info about why this Lightweight2D pass is added. It's because LWRP now supports a 2D renderer, and this renderer uses the Lightweight2D pass.

28. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It does feel a lot longer than in earlier builds, so I submitted bug report:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/case-1168006-mesh-data-optimization-resolving-used-channels.704663/

... but QA found shader compilation is actually two times faster than before :confused:

Good spot and idea with the progress update though! If they call UpdateProgressbar every iteration, this most likely slows it down significantly. I had this issue a few times and it's an easy fix in most cases.

29. fherbst

fherbst

@phil_lira I knew that this was added, but why would it even try to be compiled for my project? I'm not using any of the 2D lighting features, and also not the CustomRendererData that could cause this to happen.

30. optimise

optimise

Not yet.

Optimized Frame Pacing for Android I guess.

a) Case 1140018 I already getting no fix for months. Even now with the latest Nvidia driver I still get the same issue. It still cut the power of my laptop. I only able to reproduce this problem in Unity and no problem at any other software I used. Something wrong with Unity seriously and this problem really need to get fix asap. If one day new Unity version introduces some new features that requires new Nvidia driver I will not able to use that features. Fun fact the game build with Unity does not cut the power of my laptop. So, I believe it's Unity Editor problem that emits something.

b) Case 1164012 still not getting fix yet. The same model build with latest Addressables 1.1.4 has deformation bug. I believe it's engine regression as it's not reproducible at 2018.4 cycle. Another is Case 1157753 which load the same scene second time will crash Unity editor.

Not so nice. It suddenly change Test Runner asmdef setting from Auto Referenced to Override Reference and make it throw errors at Console.

I would be disappointed. 2019.2 does not feel ready.

31. Dwight_P

Dwight_P

I am currently using many variations of different distortions together to get certain affects. I would have to break down each shader and pin point exactly what distortion is breaking and why. Once I get an opportunity I will go through and see what's broken and get a bug report sent. I still need to build a sample project for the ambient node bug I reported, as well. Lol

32. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Using Unity 2019.2 b9

Every time Unity gets on focus it takes a second to get interactable.
    I don't know about other users but i would love to know if current editor performance state is known to be bad or not, because i can promise it slows down development like twice for me :) Also toggle fullscreen is glitching and slow and often is not detected because the editor feels like it's running at 20 fps.

Still taking a 15-30 seconds to start a scene which is nothing close as complex compared to what i can achieve with the other game engines out there !

Build are running smooth and good for now though but the editor itself it incredibly slow for me !

Thank You !

P.S. - just to mention PC specs:
    - 6 core OLD AMD CPU, 16 GB Ram and GTX 1060 6GB GPU

upload_2019-7-14_10-14-4.png

33. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

May be i have a problem with my PC.
    Is it 15 seconds for assembly reloading considered normal ?

upload_2019-7-14_10-29-45.png

34. konsic

konsic

I think Unity needs less hard drive space.

It's not good it grows with more space requirements.

Package manager should serve people not install all those un-needed addendums for HDRP and LWRP.

Also, load/boot time of Unity has increased.

35. nitrofurano

nitrofurano

i'm missing a lot of things on 2019.3, like: having GNU/Linux version easy to find and download (on the official download webpage you can only find OSX and Windoze versions for downloading); Unity-Hub is still chaotic for opening projects (in the initial learning process we need to create hundreds of projects, and they get lost around that mess quite easily); Unity still crashes when we don't have enough hardware for running it (instead of notifying us what is missing in a message box, like Godot does); it is painfully slow for opening, loading projects, build and run, etc.; minimal tutorials (as simply as merely moving sprites, shapes, displaying text with changing numeric values, etc.) are very hard to find, and the official tutorials are painfully demotivating; etc....

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  36. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Another issue that i just ran into just now again ( using Unity 2019.2 b9) :

- very very often ( few times a day ). input field stop respond on entering a value. The slider based interaction is working though ! Engine should be restarted to get fixed !

P.S. - Alt+F ( E ) to exit engine also not registered. Seems the engine just not accepting some user input events !

This happened in 2019.2b7 as well

37. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

In general i try to ignore many things, but here is one more:
    This is showing non stop in b7 and b9 as well !

upload_2019-7-14_16-40-1.png

Stormy102 likes this.
  38. 5argon

5argon

I got a report where shortcuts involving Alt doesn't work, but the case was closed as low priority defect and Won't Fix. https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1157429_3t3sf1kt96j23b12 If you change to something else not containing Alt in shortcut manager, did it work?

39. Stormy102

Stormy102

Yes I have this a lot too

40. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi guys let me report another issue i got i b7 and now in b9 as well.
    If i minimize the editor to the task bar (Windows 10 x64) for let's say 15-20 minutes, then i am not able to maximize it. This happens every time i do it and i always forgot about it and keep minimize the editor. May be is something in the project, may be the OS or may be the editor. Would be good if you ( devs ) can investigate ( give it a try ).

Note : the editor has a scene loaded
    Note : should close the editor using Task Manager to be able to open it again

Thank You !

41. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

I really want to stop bugging this thread but guys believe it or not i am constantly bumping into issues.

Using Unity 2019.2 b9 ( It works fine in 2017.1.5 editor )

Just decided to implement a system using the Instanced Drawing and i got this issue where objects disappear when unity looses focus and then gets on focus again. And i am also constantly switching between windows ( chat, internet etc. ) while previewing stuff in editor at the same time. Just wanted to show how many issues the engine has and i can continue with spamming the thread.

I should waste my time reporting bugs or reconsider my goals and the way i am achieving them !

Please Unity, consider improving internal testing somehow because otherwise we have to spend additional time for firing bug reports and looking for workarounds non stop which is wrong ! I literally bump into issues with almost every system in Unity ! You want to release 2019.2 already but there are really a lot of things broken ! And this is valid for every next release !

fherbst and Peter77 like this.
  42. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Just FYI, testing and submitting bug reports is literally the point of beta, and your using a beta release.

43. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

I am aware of this. The point that Unity is asking if they should've release b7( with more than 20 known bugs and much more unknown ) speaks for itself and the point is that all i am saying is valid for final releases as well because they are released with many knows bugs as well ! Just saying :)

Immu likes this.
  44. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I don't think that's what they're asking, it's at least not what they're asking in this thread. Their question is:
    This is very different to your interpretation of the question :)

If you feel it's not ready due to certain bugs, please submit bug-reports through the official channels. Please do not only post the issues here, as the forum is not a replacement for a bug-report. Chances are way better to receive a bug-fix, if you properly submit a report.

45. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Thanks for the suggestions. I got two gifts already for submitting bugs and a lot of bugs reported ( and many that i do not have the time to spend for reporting because it takes time ) and as i am saying i am pretty much aware of everything !

They would not have been asking, it if they would not wanted to release the engine at it's current state !? It is just how i understand it !
    EDIT : It feels like a rush for releasing , but if i understand the idea behind the question in a wrong way - i apologize !

As a user since 2011 i tested may be 80% of released engine versions !

What i am generally requesting is more bug free releases because much of the development time gets wasted because of regressions and total bugs :)

I said what i have to say. Cheers :)

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  46. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Well from my own experience there have been far fewer bugs with each release since they adopted the new release schedule, if you are taking the actual released versions (f1) as a marker to test against. Yes, beta versions have been more buggy than in the past (due to inclusion of alpha phase for public testing now) but overall the actual final releases have been far cleaner than in the past, at least for our studio anyway.

I think its a bit silly to ask for less buggy releases, thats the same as saying "do better". I dont think anyone at unity is trying to release buggy releases / do bad on purpose.

So its sort of a mute point really. You dont honestly think any of unity staff have come here, read your post and gone "oh my god he is right, we need to stop releasing buggy releases and this has opened my eyes to that fact now, whereas before I was in the mindset of wanting to release buggy versions but thanks to X user I see the error of my ways....".

LeonhardP likes this.
  47. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Do we have a moment to talk about the fact that detail meshes are bright pink in SRP LWRP & HDRP for anyone using the built in terrain tools since 2019.1?

48. Yes, there are dedicated threads for these two. Feel free.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  49. fherbst

fherbst

Addendum to my Upgrade Story above:
    We had a lot of cases of actual data corruption when going from 2019.2.0b5 to 2019.2.0b9 with Prefabs and Nested Prefabs.
    The symptoms were always the same, always on prefabs in a scene: references missing, values reset to default, animation curves gone, without being marked bold (as overrides) - but when going into the prefab, the values were still there.
    Setting anything dirty (e.g. rotation to 0.0001 and then back) and saving the prefab made the scene "see" the values again. This was really hard to spot (as the usual "things are bold if different to the prefab" didn't apply here), and we had to manually go over all prefabs in our scene to make sure that everything was correct. This happened for ~50% of prefabs in our project. Note that scene references were never missing - only references into the prefab structure itself or value types.
    I wasn't able to reproduce this reliably, has anyone else encountered this issue?

50. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

5argon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.