Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback wanted - Your feeling about 2019.1 in its current state (b5)

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by LeonhardP, Mar 6, 2019.

?

How would you feel if we released 2019.1 in its current state (b5)?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2019.
  1. 1 (I would be furious! 2019.1 is absolutely unusable!)

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. 2 (I would be disappointed. 2019.1 does not feel ready.)

22 vote(s)
    30.1%
  3. 3 (I would have mixed feelings. 2019.1 is good enough to be used, but not great.)

25 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. 4 (I would feel positive about Unity's quality standards. 2019.1 is in good shape.)

21 vote(s)
    28.8%
  5. 5 (Ship it already! 2019.1 is a prime example of excellent software quality.)

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Dear beta users,
    We're closing in on our 2019.1 release target of early April and would like to invite you to tell us about your gut feeling regarding the current state of the release.

A gut feeling should NOT be based on data or bugs or repro projects, but on how the product feels in your hands.

Here are the questions we'd like your feedback on:
    1. Are you using 2019.1 in a real production? If not, did something keep you from doing so?
    2. What feature(s) are you most excited about?
    3. What is/are the most annoying/painful part(s) of 2019.1 today? (Please remember to submit bug reports for the issues you encounter and reference them when you post about them here.)
    4. How would you feel if we released 2019.1 in its current state (b5)? What makes you feel this way? Please elaborate.
      1. I would be furious! 2019.1 is absolutely unusable!
      2. I would be disappointed. 2019.1 does not feel ready.
      3. I would have mixed feelings. 2019.1 is good enough to be used, but not great.
      4. I would feel positive about Unity's quality standards. 2019.1 is in good shape.
      5. Ship it already! 2019.1 is a prime example of excellent software quality.

Please take note that this thread will be locked after one week (on the 13th of March), and there will likely be another iteration a few weeks further down the line.

Thanks all, your feedback is much appreciated!

FROS7, eizenhorn and charlesb_rm like this.
  2. bererton

bererton

We are very close to using 2019.1 in production for a webgl build. The only thing holding me back is figuring out what's really stopping webgl streaming compilation from working. I have it working on a local Apache server, but can't figure out why the exact same files are not running up on our CDN. I'll figure it out eventually, but it would be great to have some hints as to why we're getting the "wasm streaming compile failed: CompileError: AsyncCompile: Wasm decoding failed: expected magic word 00 61 73 6d," style errors. Probably bad headers or compression. Still, so far we've been happy with 2019.1.

3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

It would be great if you could submit bug reports with minimal repros for these issues if you find the time.

4. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

5. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

For us the only annoying thing is the freeze when saving a scene. But I would say it's stable enough to be used in real production

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The questions are directed at everybody who's using the software and has hands on experience with it. They're an invitation to share how you feel about the quality of the release and to point out the things that are most painful to you. If someone who's tolerant to pain was reporting a source of pain, then how would someone who isn't as tolerant react to that source?

Depends on who you ask.

hippocoder and eizenhorn like this.
  7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

The most painful part, maybe not necessarily related to 2019.1 only, would be that the editor feels less and less responsive, the newer Unity gets.

When I started my spare-time project in Unity 4.x, the editor responsiveness was spot on. It was so much fun working with the Unity editor at this time. :D

Most of the time, I kept the project on Unity beta versions, which is probably why I reported so many issues btw. It's also the project that I use for the performance overview posts.

When I upgraded this project to Unity 2018, I noticed the editor performance went downhill. After a while working with 2018, I lost the interest to further spend time with Unity in my spare-time, because it feels like I've to wait for the editor more than I can be creative and it kinda drove me nuts.

I still open copies of the project in every major Unity beta build, but the editor performance did not get better yet as far as I can tell. When I was briefly playing with the project in 2019.1 beta, it has great new features and all, but the editor felt even slower. :(

I guess I don't see me spending much spare-time with Unity anymore. Btw, I also use Unity at work and it's great there, because it runs on a better PC.

As conclusion, I would appreciate if you could improve the editor responsiveness again. Alternatively, I would also accept a high-end PC donation. :cool:

PS: I didn't vote on the thread, because I spent to little time with 2019.1 specifically, to really have an opinion on it.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

• The usual editor UI glitching and bugs are present, but not blockers
    • Bunch of enlighten errors happen randomly
    • Crashes happen randomly but frequent (could be HDRP 5.6.1)
    Personally I don't call it the most stable build Unity's done and it definately feels like a beta to me.

But it's worth noting that almost nobody replying here will have 2019.1 running stock without packages. So "your feeling about 2019.1 in it's current state" is not possible to articulate for most people replying.

edit: Charles found my problem - needed to reset my editor UI. It was that simple. Thank you Charles B! And a lesson to everyone to report those bugs (even if overworked like me!)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  9. Scott-Michaud

Scott-Michaud

This one bug...

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...rading-project-ffrom-2018-dot-3-to-2019-dot-1

... is completely blocking me (and other projects that rely upon Rewired for cross-platform support) from using 2019.1. (Granted, it's Priority 2 and thus already marked as blocking for a release, but this thread is asking about 0b5, which is still affected.)

There might be other issues, but I haven't even started looking into 2019.1 because of the above bug.

jrumps likes this.
  10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I voted mixed.

It seems that the Unity editor is getting slower and glitchier with every update and 2019.1 seems to continue that trend.

It also crashed a few times on me.

TokyoWarfareProject and jrumps like this.
  11. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

That API has been removed. From b7 on there will be a warning pointing that out. The suggested API is Selectable.allSelectables and the devs also added a noAlloc version Selectable.AllSelectablesNoAlloc(ref Selectable[]) if users want to keep track of the list themselves.

12. snacktime

snacktime

2018.3 was a complete bugfest on our game of 80k lines of code. Multiple hard crashes, editor hangs, prefab bugs, dll loading errors, you name it.

It really doesn't matter I think to most working on games of our complexity when things go out of beta. Because Unity does not have a process for catching bugs outside of the simplest of scenarios. You don't do fuzz testing or complex integration testing that pushes your engine in the ways real games do. So really what matters is what does it look like after being released for several months. That's the only way the types of bugs we usually hit get fixed.

And maybe relying on users to do the complex testing is the best way. I'm not saying one is better then the other. Only that to people working on real games the answers here really mean nothing.

jrumps likes this.
  13. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

It does if they are using it tho.

jrumps likes this.
  14. Scott-Michaud

Scott-Michaud

Okay thanks! I don't see notice that the API changed in the release notes, but I'm guessing that will come with the warning in b7. I guess I'll check in with Rewired to see if they're addressing it on their end.

15. konsic

konsic

Yes.
    One of the most annoying issue is that shader graph keeps crashing randomly.
    I would like that Visual Studio Code would be native in Unity as monoscript was.
    Responsivenes of UI in shader graph. Faster compile of shader graph is a must.
    Shader graph preview is not visible in it's editor.
    Slower response of editor.
    Performance in HDRP could be better.
    Ship it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  16. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

I am actually using 2019.2 already, enjoy it so far. Few issues. More with issues with asset store imports. But thats to be had since its not current version.

17. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

I tested vulkan , performance is the same as DX11 , so vulkan is useless pretty much

TokyoWarfareProject and jrumps like this.
  18. izym

izym

Unity Technologies

Could you post an Editor.log from after one of these crashes? I'd like to take a look at the cause of this.

19. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

also vulkan still crashes on windows , seem like driver related crashes

20. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

A bug report for this would be much appreciated.

It would help a lot if you could provide us with reproducibles or comparative videos of the specific performance differences.

21. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

(Hippo) added spoiler tag:

unity has the nerve to come out at conferences and promote this stuff in a extremely unfinished state.

1. Why in the world is Android the main focus for Vulkan ,what a silly idea ,
    2. graphics jobs does barely anything for 2 YEARS, but yet TIMELINE and SRP is more important and so important that the editor can get slower as well.
    3. all the Effects in srp can be found packages off the asset store and can be made in 2017. The whole point of SRP was improve the PERFORMANCE of those graphics features? but instead performance is the same or worse.
    4. Occlusion culling in unity is terrible , culling time decreases performance so you dont even get performance boost
    5.2019 is a embrassment at this point , I never opened a version and was met with errors .
    6.the new package system is bugged , why isnt the incremental GC a package? so you dont have update to unity 2019 mess.
    7.Community made content is far better that actual unity staff stuff , like SECTR , GDOC /gdoc-dynamic-gpu-occlusion-culling-139079, HX volumetric lighting .

8.Bug reports have been made,its never fixed ,plus why is the employees at unity not noticing these issues they are not hard to find.

Here is my game in unity 2017 60fps no lightmapping,light probes, or occusion culling ,NO SRP (all features decreased performance) to show how useless SRP if its not going to improve performance.

bandicam 2019-01-17 14-37-55-669.jpg bandicam 2019-02-06 13-45-08-832.jpg bandicam 2019-01-13 16-40-19-163.jpg bandicam 2019-01-13 13-29-25-322.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2019
    hippocoder likes this.
  22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Your feedback has been noted, but because in beta forums, moderation is way more stricter for signal/noise. This topic is only about 2019.1, nothing else at all. Feedback is allowed elsewhere for general things but your post is offtopic. I invite you to post with using the new feedback tag in general or other specific forum of your choice, try to make it fit as close to your issue as possible, thanks :)

Ryiah and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  23. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

Don't blame him for posting here but I'm hundred percent sure if he post elsewhere the thread will never get enough attention...the main problem is Unity staff not listening to community, we keep reporting bugs that never get fixed and they keep adding more stuff.

Please fix bugs first and make unity more performant like it's was instead of adding tons of useless features

Immu and AlteredPlanets like this.
  24. roka

roka

Yep, they rush on new stuff (mostly useless at the moment) that broke parts of the engine.
    Also, it's true that a lot of bugs are not fixed, just on the webgl, i have made many reports and some of them has been fixed a year after, some other are not fixed yet. Just a quick talk, i do not want start any drama here.

A lot of us are really scared to load our project on new version now but it's like that, it's the Unity business model and it will continue like that.

I can just say thank you at every people that work on unity for their work.

Immu likes this.
  25. snacktime

snacktime

I like that Unity has opened up more with the alpha's now and all. But I don't get the reason to rush things. Beta's should be released on the criteria of quality not time. Otherwise beta/release just loses all meaning that matters. This thread just moves even further away from beta being something you can actually define.

It's obvious someone is putting tremendous time pressure on getting stuff out of beta. Please tell those people to go sit in a corner and be patient.

hippocoder likes this.
  26. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

According to the public issue tracker, they do fix bugs ;)

I track statistics of the public issue tracker and below you can find how many bugs they "publicly" fixed during the last 10 weeks. It's the "number of pages" that is shown at the very bottom of the issue tracker.

issuetracker.png

10 weeks ago the "Fixed" category contained 1650 pages which is about 1650*10=16500 bug-reports (10 items per page). This week it shows 1710 pages which is about 17100 bug-reports.

Thus, in 10 weeks they fixed 17100-16500 = 600 bugs across all Unity versions. Plus, all the issues that are not added to the public issue tracker.

10 weeks = 10*5 = 50 days. 600 bugs / 50 days = 12 bugs fixed per day :) I don't know how many people are part of the "bug fixing team", if something like this exists at Unity Technologies.

27. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I just fired up Unity 4.6 to profile the editor, but then noticed the profiler is inaccessible, because I don't have a pro license anymore. :confused:

Are you able to provide a time-limited license (maybe for a week), so I can use the profiler to collect data for the bug-report? At this point I don't even know if the performance difference is visible in the profiler, but we'll see.

hippocoder likes this.
  28. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

Funny joke :) DOTS useless? SRP useless? :)

hippocoder likes this.
  29. konsic

konsic

If you can, could you make that beta versions do not brake project in final 2019.1.

30. konsic

konsic

Also, please make smaller nodes in SG like in shaderforge for better readability.

31. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

hippocoder, Chaz32621 and LeonhardP like this.
  32. guavaman

guavaman

Can I ask why the Selectables[] array is passed in by reference in Selectable.AllSelectablesNoAlloc? My testing of this method b7 shows that it doesn't resize the array if it's too small to fit all the Selectables into the array. I don't see any reason for the ref designation.

33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Beta 7 is a crash-a-minute experience here, I wonder why? In any case, no vote at all so far for me now with current state.

edit: Charles found my problem - needed to reset my editor UI. It was that simple. Thank you Charles B! And a lesson to everyone to report those bugs (even if overworked like me!)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  34. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for bringing this up. The devs will look into this.

Did you already submit a bug report? Would be good to know in which area these crashes occur.

35. Rallix

Rallix

I also get some occasional crashes, although I don't submit a report unless I can at least roughly tell what caused them and how to reproduce them, otherwise the bug report is just going to be closed "unless I can provide more information". Unfortunately, most of them happen when I'm doing nothing in particular, basically ‘having the Editor open for too long’ or ‘doing a routine task for 10th time’. The two most recent ones seem to be (from the error.log) Access Violation by d3d11.dll and mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll.

hippocoder likes this.
  36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

@Charles_Beauchemin found my problem - needed to reset my editor UI. It was that simple. Thank you Charles B! And a lesson to everyone to report those bugs (even if overworked like me!)

I think if Unity staff are tinkering with editor API they should be able to force an editor layout reset during upgrading from time to time?

So ... if crash, reset everything. Pull the plug out. Bash the side of the monitor hopefully...

2019.1 as of beta 9 (for me) is solid.

MadeFromPolygons and LeonhardP like this.
  37. tbg10101_

tbg10101_

My only issue while upgrading from 2018.3 was that the game tab would stop rendering its UI but it was fixed by closing the game tab and re-opening it again.

38. Hyp-X

Hyp-X

Finally Package Manager is usable again in beta 9
    SpeedTree wind / SRP fixes in beta 9 was something that was really needed for us.
    Also DSPGraph...
    We are switching our project to 2019.1 now, so we will see if anything comes up (hopefully nothing major)

LeonhardP likes this.
  39. ianxyz100

ianxyz100

It seems pretty stable to me, but I don't see any changes to import Autodesk content easier in VR yet. I think one of the best ways to improve peoples workflows from Autocad and Revit would be the ability for Unity to recognize Autodesk Generic Materials, either by supporting them, or by automatically converting them to a standard Unity material on import.

40. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Can you point out where unity said that 2019.1 would contain this? As far as I am aware this was never on the roadmap for 2019.1, nor do I think its been mentioned before at all?
    If they didnt say it will be in 2019.1 then really you should create a post regarding this in the correct forum suggesting it as a feature.

The question posed was about 2019.1 and its current state, not unity editors ability to interface with autocad and revit.

41. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback everybody! I've started a follow-up thread with a new poll. Please continue the discussion there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.