Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback wanted - Your feeling about 2018.3 in its current state

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by LeonhardP, Nov 21, 2018.

?

How would you feel if we released 2018.3 in its current state (b11)?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2018.
  1. 1 (I would be furious! 2018.3 is absolutely unusable!)

8 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. 2 (I would be disappointed. 2018.3 does not feel ready.)

23 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. 3 (I would have mixed feelings. 2018.3 is good enough to be used, but not great.)

52 vote(s)
    34.4%
  4. 4 (I would feel positive about Unity's quality standards. 2018.3 is in good shape.)

57 vote(s)
    37.7%
  5. 5 (Ship it already! 2018.3 is a prime example of excellent software quality.)

11 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

tHIS HAS been already clarified in this thread, they'll fix it.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

3. Fronne

Fronne

Bug Report: Unity Remote don't work on iOS because the x86_64 folder is missing in PlaybackEngines\iOSSupport

Errors:
    • EntryPointNotFoundException: StartIosProxy
    • Could not start remote support for device: EntryPointNotFoundException: StartIosProxy
    I copied the x86_64 folder from my Unity 2018.2.19f1 installation and the problem was solved...

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  5. Fronne

Fronne

MadeFromPolygons and Peter77 like this.
  6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

So based on RC1, my position hasn’t changed, I would say this is ready for release, at least if we are comparing to previous release standards. I also think the alpha for 2019 is as stable as previous betas so in general if this was released those that wanted their beta “hit” could use the 2019 alpha

dzamani likes this.
  7. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

8. terrydif

terrydif

Overall, this release is looking stellar. This is a lot more stable than the nested prefabs preview build I used a few months ago. If you're looking for gut reactions to things, I do have one comment, I hope it's small and fixable...

^ The animation conditions dropdown is SO SMALL! The new search feature is great, but man sometimes I just need to scroll down and click a parameter normally and the size of this thing is downright frustrating!

Keep up the good work, guys!

9. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We have a fix for this in the pipeline. Should be in the next release.
    Forwarded

10. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

The fix has been backported to 2018.3 so you can probably expect it in the next build.

ProtonOne and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  11. adslitw

adslitw

12. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report for this? The window should expand with the amount of its entries as long as there's still space it can expand into.
    It won't be in the next build, but the one after that.

13. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

I have a bug on several projects that sprites randomly flips when Moving/Zooming Camera.

I finally was able to reproduce it on a small example project!

Bug reported (with example project) as 1108407.

That is really a huge bug that broke most of my projects. I hope it is fixed before the final release of 2018.3.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    aurelien-morel-ubiant likes this.
  14. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

Please @wagenheimer don't report directly your case with a direct link to your fogbuzz cause anyone can see all your report.
    Just mention the case number without any link on it.

Thanks !

wagenheimer likes this.
  15. tweedie

tweedie

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but animated materials no longer preview in the Game View (only scene). Is this deliberate? We've found it quite harmful to our workflow, as you can't always expect parity between scene-game view, and coming in and out of playmode can be quite time consuming on larger projects (especially if you're testing a shadergraph material, which has long preview-shader compilation times to begin with).

Weirdly, and why I'm asking if this is deliberate, particle systems still update in the game view in realtime, but whilst they're doing so, animated materials remain static. We're seeing this in HDRP; I haven't had the chance to test built-in, so maybe this'll be an HDRP thing and I'm posting in the wrong place, just curious.

16. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Why is the poll closed? I've barely begun using 2018.3.

TokyoWarfareProject likes this.
  18. konsic

konsic

I think 2018.3 is going to be released this or next week.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah, I was wondering why 2018.3.0f1 will still in beta. :)

TokyoWarfareProject likes this.
  20. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Well, 2018.3 isn't released yet. 2018.3.0f1 is the first release candidate. Final release will be f2, f3 etc depending on how many RC's they do.

21. bugfinders

bugfinders

While I love the features of 2018.3, I am frustrated that many of the bugs which it seems everyone can see, bar the people at unity. Such as I have a crappy game Im making and everyone who plays the built version cant really move in anything other than edge as a browser (its webgl) but they dont see that, they suggested ecs.. for 40 moving things? seems odd. Im losing faith because I can be on the latest beta and you get the stock "have you tried with the latest version or the beta" response.. err, yes, yes I was.. and it shows on the bug report.

22. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

What you are describing sounds more like an issue with WebGL than unity. Your up to date on all the SAB issues with most browsers which affects WebGL and is not a unity side issue?

I recommend you read up on all of that before claiming unity are not hearing you, because we have been in contact with unity staff regarding the SAB issues since early 2018 and I assure you, they have replied extensively in the relevant forum + thread.

Also your "doesnt move in anything but edge" is extremely vague and specific. That sounds like a very much project specific issue, so I suggest you go to the relevant forum, post snippets of code and ask for help. In fact that should be your first port of call, it sounds very much like you have either a code issue, SAB issue or combination of the two.

Certainly I can tell you that due to SAB, any WebGL build trying to use SAB features will only work on edge or potentially firefox. Nothing to do with unity.

23. tweedie

tweedie

Indeed, I was just posting to see if anybody else had shared a similar experience. I've now had time to test in built-in and not just HDRP, same behaviour. Will submit a bug report.

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

When 2018.3 goes out of beta; will there be a 2018.4?

25. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

2018.4 is going to be the LTS version of 2018.3 and will probably release around the same time as 2019.1 (ETA late March 2019).

MechEthan and Deleted User like this.
  26. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

27. schneckerstein

schneckerstein

Are you using 2018.3 in a real production? If not, did something keep you from doing so?

Yes, Lucid Trips.

What feature(s) are you most excited about?
    Basically a higher version of the LWRP. We're allways hitting performance limits, so that's really interessting for us. Also nested prefabs, and GPU Lightmapping for faster Iterations.

What is/are the most annoying/painful part(s) of 2018.3 today?
    That posteffects don't work in LWRP + VR again. I've already filed a bug report, but i've been told that it's uncertain if this gonna be fixed, since LWRP is already on a higher version for 2019.1. :( Also I've encountered two release build only bugs:
    • One prefab wouldn't be included in the build and caused nullrefs. It also woudn't go away from reimporting. What worked was to duplicate the prefab and replace all references with the new one. Versioning tool told me that I essentially replaced the GUID, so maybe I've had something like a "cursed" asseet ID?
    • UnityXR functions like Recenter() don't work in release build, I've had to use the native SteamVR functions as a work arround.
    How would you feel if we released 2018.3 in its current state (b11)? What makes you feel this way?
    I think its pretty fine, it's way more stable than 2018.2 + LWRP 3.x.

28. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

Are you using 2018.3 in a real production? If not, did something keep you from doing so?

I tried, prefab system and issues with photon kept me away

What feature(s) are you most excited about?
    updated physix with waaaaaaaaay more stable joints thatn previous version

What is/are the most annoying/painful part(s) of 2018.3 today?
    new prefab workflow limitations

29. konsic

konsic

Maybe new prefab workflow could be added as feature through package manager similar to new UI skin.

So, that it could be used as user preference.

30. bugfinders

bugfinders

Nope this is the last in a long line of stuff..

31. Player7

Player7

And while we are at it.. maybe we can also have new theme coming in 2019 also be done via package manager so I can carry on using the current gradient/bevel button theme that looks so much better than current of flat design failure.

32. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks to everybody for providing feedback on their experiences with the 2018.3 beta.
    2018.3 is now officially released and your contributions helped to make this happen. Thanks again and I hope to see you in the 2019.1 forum where we're preparing for the next beta phase.