Search Unity

Feedback Wanted: Visual Effect Graph

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by ThomasVFX, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjedlowski97

bjedlowski97

I can't really find any tutorial for the vfx graph for chaining an effect between multiple objects, do you know what I would have to do to get it to go from enemy 1 to enemy 2.

2. bjedlowski97

bjedlowski97

upload_2020-2-2_18-48-4.png
    I think i found the proper nodes for it, I tried looking around the forums to see what others have done, I have tried it without, and with normalize, and same for the remap but nothing seems to be working

3. resetme

resetme

Hi there,

how can I edit the shader from Graph VFX? Also how about Asset Bundle ? Do those shader compile every time we instantiate an effect?

4. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Do you have a camera in your scene with the tag Main Camera?

If you want to edit the shader after the compilation, you can toggle the shader externalization mode in VFX preferences. Shaders dont compile when instantiating the effect but when compiling the asset in the vfx editor. In 2020.1, the compilation will be triggered at import time.

5. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Is it possible to initilize a vfx graph like already some time went ago and particles already emitted at some life span? I start a level with a cutscene but in the first shots you cannot see all effects because the particles are not spread through the scene yet. So I need to emulate there already running when scene starts.

6. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

There's a pre-warm total time and steps in the VFX asset inspector for that.

Else you can also call from script Simulate on you VisualEffect instance (if you need the prewarm only for a given instance of the effect for instance)

Bordeaux_Fox likes this.
  7. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Thanks for the very fast answer, that was the settings I was looking for!
    Does the prewarm has some negative side-effects on the performence at scene loading?

8. resetme

resetme

Yah, thank you for fast answer. Thats unusual for unity forum.

Btw, Is this beta? All my projects on this company are using unity 2017/2018 and is very stable, we start some R&D using unity 2019 and I'm having many issues (Mac Users, PC user looks to be ok).

- OSX Crash, it just crash restarting the pc, GPU panic error or some other error. Again, is not Unity Crash, is all the System. (at least 10 times a day), same PC I use to other projects with no issues (Unity 2017/2018)
    - Editor Screen very buggy, it start flashing, icons disapear, can't drag, freeze for some seconds.
    - Still can't use my own shader (was trying to make a simple 2 texture scroll shader for testing)
    - Finally, to use Graph VFX I need to setup Metal Editor Support on MAC. (is still experimental?) That also give me graphic glitches using 2 monitors.

Thanks again!

9. texone

texone

1. Is it possible to directly read the attribute buffers in a script. I would like to use vfx graph to do physarum like animations that would require to render particles into a render texture to create density maps that I would feed back into vfx graph.

2. Related to one but other use case: I used vfx graph to patch led animations. I would like to get the color values to be able to send them using artnet.

3. Any plans to extend vfx graph as a sort of more generic compute shader pipeline?

10. meriem_unity

meriem_unity

Unity Technologies

elbows likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.