Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: Visual Effect Graph

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by ThomasVFX, Oct 21, 2018.

1. hommes_doutant

hommes_doutant

Hello,

The nodes "rectangular to spherical" and spherical to rectangular don't seem to work properly.
    I tested to take positions, convert to spherical then back to rectangular and I don't get back the same mesh. Is that expected behaviour ?

upload_2019-7-5_17-17-17.png

Best regards

2. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Custom attributes are being reworked for 2019.3 and they will be treated like any other built-in attributes and will be registered via a dedicated blackboard

Next 2019.2 package has a distortion output yes

garryjnewman and coldpizzapunk like this.
  3. bjedlowski97

bjedlowski97

https://vimeo.com/user92507283/review/346599589/3c66867555
    I am trying to spawn some particles in a flame thrower like effect but I noticed as the start of the spawning they look very choppy is there anything I can do to smooth this out. I tried lower the amount of particles but is does the same thing. I have a constan spawn rate so I am not sure what to do. Any help would be much appreciate

4. thinksquirrel_lily

thinksquirrel_lily

I hope this means array attributes as well :)

5. DuvE

DuvE

Thx for the reply, really helped me, and this VFX tool is amazing. If in the future Unity will add Vertex and Pixel shaders to this, this tool will be an ultimate VFX workstation.

So, it is not actually possible, for example, to make two different Particle Systems (inside one VEG of course) spawn on death particles from another third branch, like this:

8. Also, maybe a really stupid question, but still. Is it possible to send messages/calls back from VEG, for example, if I want to trigger a sound effect on particle death? I need some trigger info from VEG back to C# script.

9. About arrays, is it possible to pass the array of positions into VEG and loop through it? It is useful, for example, to make a radial mask (a position from each particle) to like 20-40 object in a scene.

10. In some big VEG there is actually a delay, even after I press "Play" when the effect starts working. I think I've read about this, but I can't find it. This is probably one of the cons when using GPU driven particle system. And because of this delay/latency, big explosions made with VEG cannot be instantiated in a scene and immediately played, right?

11. Can i trigger GPU events on particle collisions?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Lars-Steenhoff and konsic like this.
  6. Moferad

Moferad

Hey Vlad, or anyone else, Im attempting to parent my vfx to a characters bone and still have "world" simulation , but even with this example i cant seem to get what i want, I'm getting some seriously strange offesting when attempting any LocaltoWorld transformation via the node

I've zero'd out my gameobject thats parented to my bone and then placed the vfx inside of that, ive done both transforming the game object and zeroing the vfx and vice versa, zeroing the game object and moving the vfx, cant seem to get the result im looking for.

I want to basically emit a trail off a bone with some sphere conform on the vfx but not be in "local" space for sim

7. sergiobd

sergiobd

Hi, I cant seem to find how to multiply a particle's position by a matrix ( M * v ) in order to apply a matrix transform to a particle. Is this possible?

8. sergiobd

sergiobd

I'm trying to deploy a particle system generated with a kinect depth-map using in a not-so-performant GPU. I'm using roelkok's repository. I'm killing most of the depth-map's particles using the Kill(AABox) in inverted mode in the initialize block. I assume they get deleted and are not computed any further. Am I right?

9. Sylifixx

Sylifixx

Hi ! I've imported an alembic (a man crawling) into unity, then used the point cache converter, and put it into my vfx graph, linked it in a set position from map in update but I can't see it crawls, I don't think it load my sequence. Is here someone who has an idea about the workflow (the problem probably comes from me x) ) ?

Edit: Another question here: How can I send an event in vfx graph with a collider in my scene ? I try some things but doesn't work :(

Edit02: Found the script for the event and the collider

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  10. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Nice catch, looks like Rectangular to Spherical is outputting theta and phi in radians, but Spherical to Rectangular is expecting degrees. We've logged this, in the meantime you can multiply the phi and theta results from the first node by 180/π to convert them from radians to degrees.

The link is not working; can you repost?

Glad to hear you are enjoying the VFX Graph! :)
    And Shader Graph support for VFX is coming up to allow custom outputs with more Vertex/Pixel shader goodness.

To your other questions:
    You are correct, at the moment GPU events can only be triggered by one system. GPU events are still experimental and will have some refactoring done to them, so it is an interesting thing to look at, but I don 't know if it can be implemented.

8. Afraid not, it is quite pricey to read per-particle data from the GPU and send it back to the CPU, especially considering that we could be looking upwards of millions of calls. Depending on what you want to accomplish, it might make sense to do the simulation on CPU and drive the visualization with the VFX Graph.

9. We do not support arrays at the moment, but it has been discussed and everyone agrees that it would be quite useful to have them and be able to loop through them. The best thing to do now is store such data in a Texture2D and read it from there.

10. As with anything, it's a matter of performance vs. desired effect. I'd assume a similar system of CPU particles would also have a lag when it's played. Thing which take a significant time to load should probably be pre-loaded in advance and hidden until needed to prevent a stall from trying to allocate resources for something which might be too resource-intensive.

11. Not out of the box, but for the Unity 'Sherman' short for the water FX I was caching the previous velocity of a particle, and if its direction changed suddenly then I assumed it had collided with something and spawned a GPU event. Here's a pseudo-graph showing that:

(*Previous Velocity in this example is a custom attribute, but you can really cache the original velocity to any Vector3 attribute)

Attached Files:

DuvE likes this.
  11. blackhawk_001

blackhawk_001

hi, can someone guide me on how to masking particle using VEG. using old particle system. we only change masking option

Attached Files:

12. neurograph

neurograph

Hi is LWRP+VFX supposed to work on iOS 12.3.1?

I have a scene with the basic VFX swarming particles...
    The scene is working perfectly on an iPad with iOS12.1. The exact same scene in the App, built from the same Unity and XCode project does NOT show ANY particles on an iPad Pro with 12.3.1 installed...

Looks like metal has some problems with Hidden/VFX/System 1/Quad Output

XCode says:
    Metal: Error creating pipeline state (Hidden/VFX/System 1/Quad Output): Compiler encountered an internal error

I'm using:
    Unity2019.1.1f1
    LWRP 5.13
    VFX 5.13

And the same happens with
    Unity 2019.2.0B7
    LWRP 6.7.1
    VFX 6.7.1

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  13. bjedlowski97

bjedlowski97

Here is the proper link to the error I was having

As i said before, I noticed as the start of the spawning they look very choppy is there anything I can do to smooth this out. I tried lower the amount of particles but is does the same thing. I have a constan spawn rate so I am not sure what to do. Any help would be much appreciate

14. MHomde

MHomde

I'm not sure it's the same issue, and I'm still quite new using the VFX graph, but I had the same problem with trying to do a rocket trail. You simply couldn't emit particles fast and smoothly enough, whether you'd set fixed delta time, or delta time for the trail.

I might be missing some flag or misunderstanding but It seems like there's a minimum interval on the spawn event, and it being "chunky" on that that event so it while the amount of the particles are increased they're not distanced out evenly

Maybe that's too much to ask with a "continuos flow" and just how just how the system must work but it seems counterintuitive.

I my case I could solve it by using Spawn over Distance and lerping between the the old and new position like in this answer (https://forum.unity.com/threads/vfx-graph-question.608356/)

I'd really like to understand better though why it's not possible to simply increase spawn interval and have them by evenly spaced.

15. kirilli

kirilli

upload_2019-7-15_7-46-44.png

I loaded the ARRadar sample and I've noticed a different when between the Lit Quad Output node in the demo and the one I created on the right. The normal map options is not available, how can I enable this feature? Thank you.

16. Sylifixx

Sylifixx

You have to go in the inspector of your particle systeme and then enable it ;)
    Edit: Miss one step: click on your lit quad output node and check the inspector

17. kirilli

kirilli

Thank you for your help!

18. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @Moferad, you shouldn't need to do a custom sim space, you can parent your VFX to a character's bone, set the system to be in World space, but when you do your Set Position, ensure that is in local space:

You can also not have the system parented at all, but instead add a VFX Binder Script (specifically the Multiple Position Binder) to the VFX component, select all bones, and expose a Texture2D in Blackboard and then use the Set Position from Map block to make the particles spawn on those positions:

Here is how both of these look (blue particles are the nested VFX, yellow the ones using all bones and a position map):

You could use Transform (Position)?

Correct, setting alive to false in Initialize (or Update) will kill the particle off and it won't pay the simulation cost of an alive particle. Setting alive to false in Output will only kill it at the Vertex Shader level, but it will still be simulated so it can be turned back on at will (while it has any lifetime left).

The point cache bake tool only works for regular meshes, but not for skinned mesh renderers. You won't be able to bake out a pcache with the animations of your model. We do have planned support for skinned mesh renderers in the future.

Hm, don't think this is implemented.

I'm afraid there are some know issues with iOS 12, you can track them on the issue tracker:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ometryindirect-when-using-vfx-graph-on-ios-12

You are bumping into quantization issues since you are spawning lots of particles really fast. Changing the fixed time step in Edit/Project Settings/VFX can alleviate some of this. If you are calculating things using Total Time in your graph, replacing it with Total Time (per particle) can help a bit as well (as it adds a random per-particle value to the time). And, if all else fails, try adding more randomization to the velocity, lifetime, etc.

Attached Files:

19. DuvE

DuvE

Thx for the detailed answers, still have some small questions :)

8. OLD That's unfortunate, but maybe there is a way to read at least something from the whole VEG asset? For example a simple global float parameter, which can be set inside VEG. For example, if any of the particles have Y coordinate higher then 10, the float will be 1 or something like this. This is probably impossible because everything in VEG is per particle.

10. OLD I did not put it correctly when I press "Play" and scene starts, usually, everything is loaded, every mesh, object or old PS. But VEG objects kinda start after 0.5 seconds after the scene starts, I didn't test this behavior in build, only in the editor. But I remember, when in VEG presentation video, there was something about "Latency" on GPU driven particles, so maybe it is. This is not really important, I can just preload effects as you said.

12. I understand that VEG is constantly changing and this is awesome, but will the effects made with the current version of the VEG still work? Even when all of these awesome features will be presented, such as refactored variables/parameters and refactored(possibly) GPU events.

13. There been said that "Custom attributes are being reworked for 2019.3", I kinda confused about versions, on the GitHub versions looks like 7.0.0 and 7.1.0, and not like 2019.3 or something.

20. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Or you can also spawn in a small sphere instead of a point to remove the quantization artifacts. In the future we plan to have built in solutions to automatically remove those.

You can use exposed parameters for that and then use a predicate and a branch to have a certain value for particles higher than a threshold and another one for those below

No this is not expected, there's no latency with GPU particles. The only latency there is is if you want to readback particle data from GPU to CPU (But this is not implemented yet)

Yes they will. There may be breaking changes sometimes but we try to avoid them as much as possible and rather automatically convert old graphs to new ones when some things change.

7.x versions of GFX packages are the ones compatible with 2019.3, 6.x with 2019.2 and so on

DuvE likes this.
  21. DuvE

DuvE

Thx, but I can't set the exposed parameters inside VEG, right? I can change them in inspector like normal variables, but not inside VEG.

22. MHomde

MHomde

Hey, is there any way to get the "birth" position of a particle, like for instance if I create a particle through "trigger on kill" gpu event and want to use it for the "Connect Target" block so it originates from where it was created...

Edit: saw now that you can manually use "set target position", great, but seems little unintuitive perhaps :) Start position could be a great attribute

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  23. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Oh ok, I'm afraid you can't do this at the moment in VFX Graph then. But we have been discussing about possible solutions for that in the future.

You can use a custom attribute named startPosition if you want. To use custom attributes you need to enable experimental features in VFX preferences.

24. marklundin

marklundin

How can you make particles emissive? I can only see smoothness and Metallic properties on any lit outputs? Is this possible. It would be great to make these contribute to the lighting

25. ReK-Project

ReK-Project

So i've got my project updated to unity 2019.1.10f added visual effect graph got it working in scene. BUT it will not render in the camera preview nor in runtime. Anyone know of a fix for this? I'm also using LWRP.

26. kFreezer

kFreezer

Hi everyone!

I need some help with translucency, I keep having the issue where my particles turn green once I set the Material to translucent.

I've done a little research and someone had it like 2 months ago and Unity said it would be fixed the 5.14 version. Sadly that version isn't available anymore in the package manager, I can only revert from 5.16 to 5.13.

I'm working with 2019.1.8 I tried with 1.5 and 1.11 with no luck in resolving the issue

Is there any fix for this or do I have to setup something specific to make it work?

thanks

27. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

In the output inspector, there's a "use emissive" setting.

You need to set a diffusion profile in the output inspector. The green is the default in HDRP atm when no diffusion profile is set with translucent materials.

kFreezer likes this.
  28. kFreezer

kFreezer

oh ok I didn't knew I had to set emissive to have translucency, now it works like a charm thanks a lot!!

29. danielgsantana

danielgsantana

Hi,
    We are using VFX Graph for some realtime data visualization, and we were trying to get the current VisualEffect TotalTime from scripting, but using GetFloat("totalTime") doesn't seem to work. Is there any way to get the current totaltime for the graph?
    We are trying to sincronize some data outside of the graph.

Cheers,
    Daniel Santana

30. danielgsantana

danielgsantana

Well I solved this using a dummy spawner that just reads the state.totalTime and and access a MonoBehavior to set the a property there (a singleton monobehavior). Don't know if there is a better way, but this state "globals" could probably be exposed to the VisualEffect, since they are CPU bound, right?

Cheers,
    Daniel

31. thinksquirrel_lily

thinksquirrel_lily

Hey VFX folks (pinging @PaulDemeulenaere specifically since we talked about this issue a while back),

Has there been any progress or plan on having an actual fixed time simulation, to mirror Unity's physics engine behavior? The current fixed time implementation has issues as noted here, and it's a fairly major impact for FluvioFX users:

https://github.com/thinksquirrel/fluviofx/issues/24

I made a few posts on this a while back, but hopefully this summarizes the problem well enough.

32. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

5 months later this does not look like it has been fixed. Spawning thousands of blended particles still results in a lot of flickering. Tested latest 2019.1 and 2019.2 with their associated, most up-to-date, VFX Graph packages. Any ETA? Or workaround?

33. Danua

Danua

Lit quad output node seems to be broken.
    vers 5.16.1
    hdrp version 5.7.2
    unity version 2019.1.9f1

Shader error in 'Hidden/VFX/System 2/Lit Quad Output': 'InitBuiltinData': cannot convert from 'const struct PositionInputs' to 'float' at /3d work/unity_project/GAWG/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualeffectgraph@5.16.1-preview/Shaders/RenderPipeline/HDRP/VFXLit.cginc(62) (on d3d11)
    Compiling Vertex program with SHADOW_LOW USE_CLUSTERED_LIGHTLIST
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

34. elbows

elbows

Not sure if its related but why is your HDRP version much older than your VFX Graph version? You should really try to keep these versions the same, eg upgrade HDRP to 5.16.1.

Danua likes this.
  35. Danua

Danua

yeah, ty upgrade to the same version helps a lot

36. ahmafi

ahmafi

There is a "Get Attribute: position (Current)" in nodes, and I wanted to know are nodes like this bad for performance? Because I guess it should continuously get the object position from CPU?

37. ahmafi

ahmafi

I had the same issue and fixed it with a simple rename (it's a bug I think). You should go to project settings -> VFX -> Render Pipe Settings Path and rename the HDRP at the of the line to LWRP. (Look at the attached image)

Attached Files:

38. ahmafi

ahmafi

Maybe try HDR Color ?

39. KillHour

KillHour

Can we get 4d noise / turbulence options? Right now, the 3D turbulence makes it very obvious if you try to scroll it to change the flow. Being able to scroll in a 4th dimension would help hide this.

40. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hey Daniel, I'm afraid not at the moment, but you are right, it's something that should be added to the API. We've made a note of it.

Hi, just tried in 2019.2.0b9 and the 6.9 packages over 1 million alpha blended and GPU sorted particles and I couldn't reproduce the flickering. I assume you might be using the old Turbulence block? If so, try using either the vector field block, or even better, use an add position or add velocity block and hook it up to a 3D Noise node (i.e. Perlin Curl Noise 3D). You can also add (optionally) time control to it, something like this:

These are run on the GPU in a compute shader, so not bad for performance at all, and are really just pointing to the data which is already there. Getting/setting particle attributes are an essential part of using the VFX graph, so definitely go ahead and use them! :)

Your VFX bounds are probably outside of the camera frustum, so the effect is getting culled:

Attached Files:

41. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

That was it, thanks for the tips!

*EDIT* : Converting my Quad Output to Cube than to Quad again fixed the following issue

On another note, I do not know if this is the right place to report this, but there is a rendering issue with the Universal Rendering Pipeline VFX Graph. They do not show up at all. I have this error printed in the console:

Shader error in 'Hidden/VFX/New VFX/System 1/Quad Output': unrecognized identifier 'UNITY_VERTEX_OUTPUT_STEREO' at line 163 (on d3d11)

Any idea why this is happening?

VladVNeykov likes this.
  42. fegabe

fegabe

Hello,

I'm trying to replicate a vortex force to attracts the particles emitted from a plane. This is what I want to achieve somehow:

But I wasn't capable to add a force that makes the particles rotate around a vortex. The most similar behaviour I did was using "conform to sphere" several times but it's hard to tune the shape I want:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

konsic likes this.
  43. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Hey guys, I'm messing around with the VFX graph today and I want to create a doctor strange type of spell effect. So far it's going pretty good with spawning the particles from a point cache baked form the texture and so on. But I cant figure our how to rotate lets say all the particles in the system around a central point. Can anyone help me out?

44. KillHour

KillHour

Here's a simple tornado effect that might help you get started.

Could be pretty easily modified to be a sphere, circle, whatever.

Attached Files:

fegabe likes this.
  45. fegabe

fegabe

Thanks @KillHour! This is very similar to what I wanted to achieve.

@YuriyPopov take a look at his graph ;)

46. jjejj87

jjejj87

Hello, I am trying to use Visual Effects Graph for impact fx and shell ejection and couldn't find a way to spawn just once. It seems like it is on loop by default and I can't seem to find a way to simply fire it once.

Is this the intended behavior or am I missing something obvious?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

47. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

The Single Burst Spawn Block should work for that and set the amount (per impact) The Shell Ejection you could leave at Constant Spawn Rate and feed it something like the number of shots fired.

Spawn -> Single Burst
    upload_2019-8-11_15-59-33.png

48. jjejj87

jjejj87

I've tried the burst, but it just loops.

EDIT: I didn't set lifetime in initialize, so now it works.

Thanks!

49. Horus_Sungod42

Horus_Sungod42

Hi, having fun with the vfx graph. :)

I'm trying to reproduce all behaviors or basic shuriken particles and there a couple options I haven't found yet. Any tips how to recreate:

1. A simple random rotation over lifetime. I can make a random initial rotation, and a rotation over lifetime.

2. Limit Velocity over lifetime.

3. Trails following individual particles. (this feature might not be in yet)

4. How to get a functional prewarm? Clicking on the FX in the project shows me time options for the prewarm, but by changing these numbers seems to have next to no impact on the FX.

5. Having a youngest/oldest first sort order. Putting the sort to "on" does not fix the zfight and popping produced by smoke particles.

6. Having distortion particles (like heat). (this feature might not be in yet)

7. Have randomly selected, but non-animated flipbooks. I often have a 256x1024 image with 4 particle images (like 4 different dust clouds) that I want the emitter to randomly select for each particle, but without any type of flipbook animation. I suppose I can also just have 4 outputs.

8. Useful Sub-emitters. Looking at the genie example, I see that subemitters exist, but the "Trigger Event on Die" and "GPUEvent" nodes cannot be created with the spacebar menu.

8.5 Additionally, the particles that spawn on death do not spawn on the dead particle's position, despite copying the genie's "Set Position" and "Get Attribute: Position, Source".

I'm sorry if some of these are really basic, but the documentation is quite barebones.

Thank you unity forums ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  50. shadewing23

shadewing23

I'll answer only I know

1. Try using "Set Angle" block and change random from "Off" to "On" by clink at the Block then look at the Inspector.
    2. Use Velocity Overlife at Update context
    7. use the Tex index Block with random trick on 1.
    8. Trigger Event on Die can be create via spacebar when you're at Update Context and GPUEvent can be create by right click at black space then it will be in Create Node > Context