Search Unity

Unity [Feedback Wanted] Shipping sample(s) with the ML-Agents C# Package

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by christophergoy, Mar 11, 2021.

1. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

Hi all,
    We want to inform you that we will ship the 3DBall example as a Sample in the com.unity.ml-agents C# package at version 1.9.0-preview. We want to ask you which samples you’d like to see included moving forward to understand which example environments our users find most useful.

We want to note that there are a couple of tradeoffs to having more samples or fewer samples:
    1. The more samples we add to the package, the bigger the size of the package will be. This will impact install and download times when installing ml-agents from the package manager. On the other hand, having more samples means people can access more of what ML-Agents offers without cloning the git repository.

2. Having a smaller set of samples will reduce download and install times but at the cost of having users need to leave the Unity Editor to explore more of what ML-Agents offers.
    Please help us figure what is important to you as our users by responding to this thread.
    Cheers!
    The ML-Agents Team.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  2. mamaorha

mamaorha

would be nice to see how you tackle turn based games where agent need to take multiple decisions (number of decisions is dynamicly changed based on situation) in 1 turn and be rewarded based on a full turn.

3. TTrope

TTrope

I'd say the soccer example could cover tons of different uses cases (basic if only one player + goal, self play, coop, etc). However I would not like the samples to add some tags in my project, or have too many assets.

4. Luke-Houlihan

Luke-Houlihan

Our use of
    ml-agents
    is heavily automated and pulls down the package fresh for every ephemeral training run. My opinion here is biased toward the package being as small as possible but I understand the want/need to keep it easy to use for beginners.

Is there any way there could be 2 packages? Something like
    ml-agents
    , which contains a few examples and
    ml-agents-lite
    which has only the core necessities?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    AngrySamsquanch likes this.
  5. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

Hey @Luke-Houlihan, I understand your concern over package size. Where are you "pulling the package down" from?

6. Luke-Houlihan

Luke-Houlihan

The default pip repo, PyPi. I suppose I could cache the latest locally and strip the examples but that kind of defeats the purpose.

7. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

The samples wouldn't live in PyPi, they would live in the C# package. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I can update the text of the thread

8. Luke-Houlihan

Luke-Houlihan

Ohh! My bad, I misunderstood that :eek:. Thanks for the clarification!

unityunity