Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: Shader Graph

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Kink3d, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Technologies

As mentioned quite a few times before in this thread; HDRP does not have support for Shader Graph yet.

GameDevCouple_I likes this.
  2. Spy-Shifty

Spy-Shifty

Thank you! I downloaded the MasterMerge branch and it works with HDRP.

3. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

This should go without saying for anyone who tries this but - Don't rush back to this thread to post bugs and things like that. They didn't officially release anything or asked for feedback on this yet. They are still working on this and problems you might run into might already have a fix in the works, already known, etc. (just saying)

Adam-Bailey and GameDevCouple_I like this.
  4. dansteinke

dansteinke

I am having lots of fun tinkering around with ShaderGraph, however when I build and run my project, my scene is invisible.

Renders fine when I run inside the editor, any tips on why Build and Run isn't working? Is it not meant to at this point?

5. Pr0x1d

Pr0x1d

Hello, I am trying to make a MMORPG and I wanna use Shader Graph for player customization material.

The Problem
    I am running to is that I can't change any value from code, it just doesnt work like it does before so I am asking if there where some changes to that, like new calls from code or it's just not supported right now.

Thanks

6. andydbc

andydbc

Properties are generated by ShaderGraph, in order to set it from the code, you have to put the Inspector in Debug Mode and retrieve the value for the property you want to modify.

Its located under Parsed Info -> Prop Info -> Props.

I had to do it for one of my effect here:
    https://github.com/andydbc/unity-sh...ssets/Examples/Pixelate/PixelateController.cs

7. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this also a way to get the proper names for set properties? Just select the shader file and it shows the properties you added and the converted names it's using

upload_2018-4-12_16-4-54.png

8. andydbc

andydbc

That works too :D

9. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Ah ok cool, I was wondering if the Debug Inspector version was different. Didn't even know that existed in Unity.

10. hyunBonfire

hyunBonfire

Hello, May I ask if there is a way the parameter on shader graph editor can be accessible by "Shader.setGlobalVector"
    so that script can access to set the variable globally. any suggestion?

11. Pr0x1d

Pr0x1d

Thank you guys for help, both ways are working. I didnt know it changes the property name after saving shader and where to find converted one. If anybody have same issue just look where you can find the property name.

12. Stardog

Stardog

Please make a version that works with the built-in pipeline.

13. eduilnero

eduilnero

Hi,

I am trying to create a material that replaces Sprites-Default (to be used by a SpriteRenderer). The material is working fine applied anywhere else, but Sprite Renderer warns me that I dont have the _MainTex texture property. I created one and named it accordingly, but nothing...

Any clue? Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

luislodosm likes this.
  14. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

I've been using Shader Graph a little for the past few weeks and something that really bothers me using it more than using anything else in Unity is the fact that, to put it quite bluntly, the "pseudo-maximize window" function is terrible. (Talking about Windows here, as I have no experience using Unity on MacOS)

I know this is something more about the Unity Editor than Shader Graph itself, but Shader Graph is perhaps the most annoying example of when this gets in the way, simply for the fact that it pretty much requires it to be functional (the Animator Window also suffers a little, but since the long awaited Zoom it's not that much of a hassle there), as the functionality depends on looking at the nodes, which use a lot of space in the window.

I think a lot of people would agree with this, and it seems like the Unity Team itself also realises it, evidence being the fact that now the maximize option actually makes the window touch the borders of the screen:

Unity 2017:

Unity 2018:

Again, I realize this is probably not the best place to talk about something as general and I plan on taking this to a broader topic, but in the specific case of ShaderGraph I think it's hurting more than anywhere else, regarding only the Unity-native tools.

In my opinion the ideal solution would be something along the lines of what UE4 does, that is, treating Custom Windows (Editors) as separate native OS windows overall, not just tabs; these editors, themselves, work something along the lines of Unity Editor's Layouts, having their own presets for Tabs (Unity's Windows). These Editors also work as different kinds of tabs, which work like browser tabs.

Essentially, this is what I wanted to be able to do in Unity, and think ShaderGraph (and Animator) are hurting by not being able to do as well:

Blitzkriegmlg, buttmatrix and Stardog like this.
  15. luislodosm

luislodosm

Same here. Trying Shader Graph to work with sprites but no success.

16. eduilnero

eduilnero

Seems to be related to the automatic naming the properties as they say in previous comments. But I still don't know if there is a way to solve this issue. In my case _MainTex becomes Texture_CFFCB8AD

luislodosm likes this.
  17. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Our workflow of using Shader Graph with the Sprite Renderer definitely needs to be much better; it is possible but not ideal. Ive raised the importance of it with both the Shader Graph and 2D R&D teams. :)

18. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Shader Graph (and the majority of our future graphics features) is developed to work with the new Scriptable Render Pipelines feature. AFAIK; there are no plans to make it work with the built-in pipeline (Which I assume will become legacy eventually).

luislodosm, elbows and hippocoder like this.
  19. JamesTL

JamesTL

Thanks! That was it.

20. eduilnero

eduilnero

Hi, when you say "it is possible" could you please give us some guidelines about how to achieve it? On this thread I just posted a reply about the closest I was able to get https://forum.unity.com/threads/are-sprites-not-supported-by-the-srp-shader-graph.526280/

21. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

P_Jong, rakkarage and eduilnero like this.
  22. theterrificjd

theterrificjd

Hi. I had a subgraph made, and I don't know what exactly I did, but I'm unable to open it now. I get a gray shadergraph window, and a nullreference exception in the console:

UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Drawing.Slots.MultiFloatSlotControlView..ctor (INode node, System.String[] labels, System.Func`1 get, System.Action`1 set) (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.2-preview/Editor/Drawing/Views/Slots/MultiFloatSlotControlView.cs:23)
    UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Vector4MaterialSlot.InstantiateControl () (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.2-preview/Editor/Data/Graphs/Vector4MaterialSlot.cs:52)
    UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Drawing.PortInputView..ctor (UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.MaterialSlot slot) (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.2-preview/Editor/Drawing/Views/PortInputView.cs:51)
    UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Drawing.MaterialNodeView.UpdatePortInputs () (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.2-preview/Editor/Drawing/Views/MaterialNodeView.cs:341)

Thankfully it was a small graph I have since re-made, and it still worked after, just wasn't accessible. (even got a message from windows prompting which program should open the file).

Loving the utility so far, it's a great learning tool. If I could make a suggestion, maybe colored regions you can put in the background just to add some organization. My thinking is you could create a colored square holding all the nodes that perform one task, and name the section accordingly. I know, for me, I can already foresee looking through old graphs and wishing I had done some kind of organization to this sort.

Also, it would be nice to just have control anchors for the node-to-node lines, or an option to have them path around other nodes to remain horizontal/vertical. Tiny, very minimal, but I find diagonal lines aesthetically displeasing, and am taking a good amount of time to avoid them.

Edit:
    Another subgraph just had the same issue. NullReferenceException.

The subgraph still works to add as a node in the main graph, but I can no longer open the subgraph to edit it.

I'm worried this will keep happening, so I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong, or if there is a way to fix this.Subgraphs seem very useful, but only if they will be more stable.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  23. WangShibo17

WangShibo17

Does ShaderGraph support shader_feature or multi_complie

taecg likes this.
  24. Antypodish

Antypodish

Hi.

Any idea what following error means?
    I am on latest Unity beta 13, with imported shader graphs via manager.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'success'
    2. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()
    Double click do not navigate, to place, where error may occur. In fact double click on this error in console does nothing.

Edit 1:
    Sometimes pressing mouse middle button stop moving the graph work space.
    But closing and reopening graph resolves the problem.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Deleted User likes this.
  25. petey

petey

Hi there,
    I don't have access to the 2018 beta but I was wondering, could we please have the same keyboard shortcuts for panning and zooming as in the scene view? It's different in the new 'zoomable' Animator Controller and it's really frustrating.

Glaswyll likes this.
  26. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

In addition to these options, does Shader Graph support the following features?

- GrabPass (I know some solution was under development but how is it going?)
    - Multi-Pass
    - Loops
    - Geometry Shaders
    - VR

Thanks.

OriginalMonkeybot and taecg like this.
  27. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

I would be interested in seeing this as either a per-window option, or a unity-wide setting, but I actually like the current behavior of Unity tab windows and would like to retain that.

28. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

Unity's tabs are pretty much exactly a subset of Unreal's. It's worth having a look at UE4, if you haven't done it already. In terms of UX I can't really imagine Unity taking any hit by implementing something like this.

Even if they would reimplement some stuff (that Avatar editing layout that opens up and closes your scene, for example), this behaviour is very intuitive. After all, it is what web browsers do. If you think web browser tabs containing current Unity tabs, there is little extra complication outside of custom scripting of said Container Tabs for very specific tools.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  29. izym

izym

Unity Technologies

Do you still have the graph? We'd love to take a look at this if you create an issue on GitHub :)

We're planning to add groups that help with exactly this.

Control anchors are also on our wish list, but can't make any promises as to when.

Not yet, support for those is planned though

Better window management is definitely something we want :)

30. katoun

katoun

Actually I love the way UE4 multi-window management works.I have seen it with Visual Studio 2017 editor. It is a blast to work with 2 monitors. Unity editor uses the default multi-window management that you will find in visual frameworks (Qt, Gtk, xWidgets,WPF/.Net, etc). I have been trying to reproduce that behavior with Qt, Gtk and WPF/.Net but with no success. I have also seen that CryEngine V editor that uses qt has the same behavior.
    The only thing I don't like about this on Unity editor is that on windows 10, a full-screen tab window on a secondary monitor has a 2-4 pixel border that is transparent through which I can see background at first making me think that is was not full-screen. I think that the separate window is wrongly initialized. UnitySecondaryMonitorWindowIssue.png You can see the blue background on the sides of the window.

31. IIporpammep

IIporpammep

Hi I wanted to try Shadergraph, but it doesn't work in 2018.2.0b1 and previous 2018.1.0b13

Preview shader for graph has 1 error:
    Shader compilation error in graph at line 9 (on d3d11):
    failed to open source file: 'CoreRP/ShaderLibrary/Common.hlsl'
    Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

Where 'CoreRP/ShaderLibrary/Common.hlsl' must be? Shader reimport, unity restart, reimport all project haven't helped.

32. DominoM

DominoM

It's a case sensitive bug.

33. elboni

elboni

Are there plans to support Geometry shaders and compute shaders?

34. krsingh_aman

krsingh_aman

How to access a shader graph property from a c# script (for example using the
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader.SetGlobalFloat("Property", value)

35. Giles-Coope

Giles-Coope

This has been an issue for a while with any subgraph.

For example this trivial subgraph can't be reopened once it is saved and closed. It gives the error.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Drawing.Slots.MultiFloatSlotControlView..ctor (UnityEditor.Graphing.INode node, System.String[] labels, System.Func`1[TResult] get, System.Action`1[T] set) (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Drawing/Views/Slots/MultiFloatSlotControlView.cs:23)
    UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Vector4MaterialSlot.InstantiateControl () (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Data/Graphs/Vector4MaterialSlot.cs:52)
    UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Drawing.PortInputView..ctor (UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.MaterialSlot slot) (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Drawing/Views/PortInputView.cs:51)
    UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Drawing.MaterialNodeView.UpdatePortInputs () (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Drawing/Views/MaterialNodeView.cs:341)
    UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Drawing.MaterialNodeView.Initialize (UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.AbstractMaterialNode inNode, UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Drawing.PreviewManager previewManager, UnityEditor.Experimental.UIElements.GraphView.IEdgeConnectorListener connectorListener) (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Drawing/Views/MaterialNodeView.cs:126)
    UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Drawing.GraphEditorView.AddNode (UnityEditor.Graphing.INode node) (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Drawing/Views/GraphEditorView.cs:335)
    UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Drawing.GraphEditorView..ctor (UnityEditor.EditorWindow editorWindow, UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.AbstractMaterialGraph graph, System.String assetName) (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Drawing/Views/GraphEditorView.cs:149)
    UnityEditor.ShaderGraph.Drawing.MaterialGraphEditWindow.Initialize (System.String assetGuid) (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Drawing/MaterialGraphEditWindow.cs:508)
    ShaderGraphImporterEditor.ShowGraphEditWindow (System.String path) (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Importers/ShaderGraphImporterEditor.cs:42)
    ShaderGraphImporterEditor.OnOpenAsset (System.Int32 instanceID, System.Int32 line) (at C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.shadergraph@1.1.3-preview/Editor/Importers/ShaderGraphImporterEditor.cs:51)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Using 2018.1.0b13, shader graph 1.1.3-preview, render piplines core 1.1.4-preview, render piplines lightweight 1.1.4-preview

Attached Files:

36. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Select the Shader Graph Asset and the property names will be displayed in the Inspector. They are currently generated (such as 'Texture_1B25172') but there are plans to make them user-defined in the future.

37. Superxwolf

Superxwolf

I found an issue using Ellipse with values of 0 on iOS. For now I'm clamping to a very low number but took me some time to find in a more complex shader. Here is a simple example on a quad.

Simple Shader Graph:

Editor and Windows build:

iOS (iPhone 6S):

Notice how not only is negates the alpha but also makes it entirely black. I know it's because of the division in the Ellipse function.

38. BuzzJive

BuzzJive

@IIporpammep - I've been playing with it on 2018.2.0b1 on a mac. Just make sure you're using a lightweight render pipeline.

39. Antypodish

Antypodish

Experimenting with Shader Graph, I have noticed couple things, while working on circular / radial grid.

Unclear meaning of the assertion error in the console (t 4:30)

Not shown of the video, but after running shader compilation, no matter what compilation option is set, line 33 to 36 show following
    Code (CSharp):
    2. //////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    3. No keywords set in this variant.
    4. -- Vertex shader for "d3d11":
    5. // Stats: 44 math, 6 temp registers

All nodes show pink color of the shader. but in the work space radial grids show correctly. (t 3:05)

Unable to navigate / open sub shader from Grid Graph. (t 3:32)

Searching for a note by typing, is case sensitive. I suggest to disable case sensitivity. can be rather of annoying, to remember that something is big or small case letter. (t 4:10) (below is presented multiple times same video, but starting at different time)

And a little but related off topic, since we are here
    I had worked on the radial grid using shaders, as per video. But experienced high GPU usage (30fps), as I got 60 same objects (radial grids) on the scene, which are of different scale and slightly different shader input property value (i.e radius). Any thoughts, what may cause such massive GPU usage? I know it is indicated by Gfx.WaitForPresent, but what in shaders is causing it exactly? Lack of optimization of the shaders? Or the fact thatShader Graph file is not compiled? (t 4:52)

I have created separated topic on that matter
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/radial-grid-unity3d-2018b-shader-graph-gpu-issue.527612/

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  40. izym

izym

Unity Technologies

Make sure you have Lightweight Render Pipeline installed and active.

We might in the future, but how or when hasn't been decided.

I've been able to reproduce this using 1.1.3-preview. I can confirm that we've fixed this bug, but it hasn't made its way to a release yet. Next one will contain the fix for sure :)

Giles-Coope likes this.
  41. Jokerminator

Jokerminator

Are variable nodes ( like a property node with input and output ) not yet supported ?

42. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

is it possible to access lighting information etc such as to do a NdotL if we edit the shader code (copy from master node and paste in .shader file)?

43. mattaitken

mattaitken

First of all, I'm really enjoying the Shader Graph :)

I have a question about optional texture properties. I have a texture property which will sometimes be set on a material, and when it is I want to composite it on top of the main texture – using lerp not multiply.

Unfortunately there seems to be no way of checking if the texture is null or not and the 'Sample Texture 2D' node returns RGBA(1,1,1,1) for a null texture. This makes it really difficult to deal with this situation where a composite not multiply is needed… any advice? It would be great if you could set a default colour if the texture isn't set, which I believe you can do in ShaderLab

44. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

You should be able to do this with the logic nodes

45. mattaitken

mattaitken

I couldn't see a way of determining if the texture was set using the logic nodes. Unless I'm missing something.

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

Question:
    theres currently no blackboard in the ShaderGraph editor ?
    using 2018.2.0b1
    everything is working but there is no blackboard...
    how do i make a shader that exposes ALL of the PBR inputs. (normal, AO, smoothness etc)
    i have no blackboard and i cant rename any inputs

Suggestion:
    JUST started using this (so if they have it, i dont know about it)

itd be cool to have labels and like drag-out boxes .. for organizational purposes
    like Substance Designer has Comments, Frames & Pins

i guess its low priority but itd be really nice

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  47. Deleted User

Deleted User

not + NaN ???

48. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

idkartist3D, Ofx360, andydbc and 5 others like this.
  49. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

This is by far the optimal way to digest change logs. Whenever big unity releases come out I read the bold headers and look at the gifs, and very rarely do I need more than that to understand at a high level what was added. Also makes for easier reading whilst commuting or on mobile devices!

Spy-Shifty likes this.
  50. andydbc

andydbc

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    GameDevCouple_I and Torbach78 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.