Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: Shader Graph

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Kink3d, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubentorresexozet

rubentorresexozet

How can we use ShaderGraph with a custom SRP?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You will write the connections for it.

3. mahalis

mahalis

Small bug (apologies if it’s been brought up before, this thread is huge): in the Shader Graph editor, when editing a vector parameter, you can Tab forward through the fields, but you can’t Shift-Tab backward through them.

4. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

5. hwaet

hwaet

@Andy-Touch that is amazing! These will be super helpful for all kinds of effects, thank you!!!

6. Duusty

Duusty

is there a way to use the shadergraph tool to make custom ui shaders ? :)

7. paulindrome

paulindrome

Is it possible to reference the unity built-in shader utilities via shadergraph? (include cginc namespaces)

My specific use-case is based on Joyce "MinionsArt"'s lightmap-based render texture painting shaders (https://pastebin.com/LxDYqWBh & https://pastebin.com/rMx1PVXi).
    These shaders include

#include "UnityCG.cginc"
    #include "AutoLight.cginc"
    in order to use the line (49)

o.uv1 = v.texcoord1.xy * unity_LightmapST.xy + unity_LightmapST.zw;// lightmap uvs

My current thought would be creating CustomNodes that basically "trick" the ShaderGraph shader into using the aforementioned includes. However, that seems a rather convoluted solution for trying to use built-in unity utilities. °O

hwaet likes this.
  8. Dolzen

Dolzen

Why the shader graph is not working with the HD Rendering Pipeline yet?

9. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

Probably because the HD RP is still in a preview state and very complex.

10. paulindrome

paulindrome

Did anyone have any luck changing graph shader variables via script so far?

The usual
    Material.SetFloat(...)
    approach doesn't seem to be working for me. Additionally, checking for any property name with
    Material.HasProperty(...)
    returns true regardless of what is looked for and whether or not the shader actually HAS that property.

11. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

I am not sure if it is still the case, but the first problem I noticed with the shader graph was that property names for textures etc. are not that easily determined. They show up in the inspector the way you name them, but in reality they have their own obscure names underneath, making modifications from scripts a bit harder, as well as the fact that textures are not preserved when you switch from the standard shader, for example, to your fresh shader graph.

12. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

I think because of the new HD RP has been used HLSL language for shader programming but all other visual shader editors has been used CG Program or surface shader

13. paulindrome

paulindrome

Yepp. Just tried it using the "obscure" designation. ('Vector1_A8323E03' instead of 'loadAmount')
    This way it works, but of course, this extra abstraction step is a nuisance at best and a hindrance at worst. (Though I'm almost certain this will be changed once ShaderGraph is out of beta)

Karearea likes this.
  14. Karearea

Karearea

Really enjoying messing around with the shader graph, well done on a slick addition to the toolset.

Are there any plans to extend the editor to allow for authoring v.2 Post Processing stack custom effects?

hwaet likes this.
  15. paulindrome

paulindrome

Is there a way to combine the 'Flipbook' and 'Tiling and Offset' nodes to create a spritesheet animation moving along the UVs?

edit:
    Nevermind. Found it. I had to find the correct sequence of UV nodes to basically get the flipbooked texture scrolling along.

edit2:
    While I'm at it I might as well ask if there are any plans to provide more nodes with more output options.
    F.e. the Vector nodes would profit from both combined and "pre-split" outputs. Using the "Split" node to separate a vector's dimensions seems counter-intuitive. Especially since there is a "mental cast" from X and Y to R and G.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    P_Jong likes this.
  16. JamesTL

JamesTL

Any clues as to why my final master node is not rendering? (using unity 2018.1.0b11, HDR pipeline 1.1.1 and shader graph 1.1.1).
    upload_2018-3-22_14-30-34.png

xNex likes this.
  17. StuwuStudio

StuwuStudio

I get the same problem.

18. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

i don't think shader graph are compatible with HDRP yet

19. Dolzen

Dolzen

I'm having an issue. Shadows are not being casted over objects that are using shaders created by the Shader Graph, anyone else experiencing this issue?

20. konsic

konsic

Could you implement volumetric simulations, for example if shader graph would be plugged in volume rendering in some contained box, it would render smoke, fluids, etc

21. Karearea

Karearea

I noticed this if you have a texture property in the shader, that isn’t filled in the material itself.

22. Dolzen

Dolzen

I created a new shader graph, created a new texture property, linked it to the texture sampler node, then linked the sampler note RGB to the albedo of the master node, I saved it and then assigned the sahder to a new material, changed the texture of the material but the shadows are still not being casted in the game object using this material.

Im using Lightweight pipeline with Unity 2018.0b12 with SRP 208f8b5 (las commit)

23. pavelkouril

pavelkouril

How can I get world space light direction in the shader graph for lightweigth render pipeline? I want to do a dot product of light direction and vertex normal. Amplify has specific "Vertex Normal" and "World Space Light Dir" nodes, but I can't find the node in the shader graph?

24. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Is there a list of all usable nodes for this tool? I'm curious when i should consider migrating to official tools as I am using Shader Forge currently and am pushing it pretty hard to have custom blinn phone lighting for improved performance without lights.

Will it be easy to have built in single point lighting without shadows for a 2d game with these new tools? (view reflection node, view direction node, dot product, etc.)

Edit: Just noticed Pavelkouril has the exact same question I do! Good to see i'm not alone here. I'm sure you guys understand how having nice out of the box tools for performant out of the box directional lighting would be huge considering the massive mobile use of the Unity engine.

25. hwaet

hwaet

26. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Currently, there isn't a built-in node for World Space Light Direction. You could set up a Vector 3 Property and set a specific light's direction via script to it.

There is a 'Normal Vector' node that can be used in the dot product. :)

27. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Shader Graph doesn't support HDRP yet. In development! :)

28. Nebuch

Nebuch

Hi,

Imported ShaderGraph to new 2018.1.0b12 from Package manager and when i try to make a shader its pink. Is it just me or everyone? 2018-03-27_16-26-00.png

KarlKarl2000, xNex and Ryan-Gatts like this.
  29. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

You probably don't have the Lightweight Render Pipeline installed. You can do that from the package manager as well and then setup the pipeline asset, as well as creating a new project and select the Lightweight Pipeline as a template. That will come with everything setup for you, including shader graph and Post Processing V2.
    upload_2018-3-27_11-32-54.png

xNex and Ryan-Gatts like this.
  30. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

31. Nebuch

Nebuch

Really thanks GrimReaper.

Ryan-Gatts likes this.
  32. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Seriously, the workflow for writing Custom Node for Shader Graph is a pain in the ass

Elecman and interpol_kun like this.
  33. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

Agreed. Clunky and counterproductive.

Do you really think that people will be writing complex nodes in a C# string? It will be like "I need to write HLSL code in a separate file with autocompletion and highlighting, then copy-paste it into my C#-string".

Whoah, can't believe you come up with something like that. It's like rotten cherry on top of a good cake.

34. elbows

elbows

To quote part of a reply from Matt Dean in the comments to that blog post:

35. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

This, seeing a lot of narrow mindedness in the comments to that blog post. People seem to read it as "you can only do this via strings now". Its not. Chill everyone.

36. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

Put your arrogance where you got it. The File.Read isn't better in any way. Now they have 2 options: one, when you don't need to create new HLSL file, but which is bad by design, and second, which requires you to have 2 separate files for a one custom node.

All 2 ways are bad and counterproductive. Instead of robust and flexible system we have some sort of hack. People in comments mentioned Xenko's approach to the problem.

Anyway, even if we have an alternative, the first system was made without anything good in mind.

Elecman and Le_Tai like this.
  37. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Excuse me but did you actually read what I said? Did I say anywhere that "File.Read is better"? Did i even mention File.Read?

Please take your irritation elsewhere, and refrain from calling members "arrogant" when they are simply mentioning that once again members are moaning before even getting proper hands on with the finished system.

In fact, please dont lash out at other members of the community especially when something wasnt even directed at you. Its not fair, not cool, and definately not professional.

38. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Let’s keep things civil. This thread is providing feedback on the feature, not arguing.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  39. bakelite

bakelite

How do I navigate the graph on my MacBook? There's obviously no middle button.

40. elbows

elbows

I'm using a normal mouse on a mac so I cant completely replicate your circumstances, but holding the option key whilst left-click dragging works for me.

bakelite likes this.
  41. DanielleBBI

DanielleBBI

Is it possible to add custom GUI element to the shader graph? I am mostly interested in adding the "Apply to systems" button that's on the new standard surface particle shader.

42. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

The current workflow for making custom node required a lot of boilerplate code.

A better approach IMO is writing the shader code in an HLSL file, with metadata in the comments at the top of that file.

It is hacky and prone to error until IDEs catchup, but is easy to implement for Unity, easy for users to manage and share(only 1 file instead of 2), and allow developers to make full use of their IDE features.

43. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Hold alt and click somewhere in the main node-board to pan around.

44. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Few Bugs to report

Sub Graph Bug?

Not sure if this is intentional or a bug but upgrading from lightweight 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 Sub Graphs created in older versions won't open but ones created in 1.1.2 will. Is that intentional because of API changes or just a bug?

UV Scale
    It seems that if you use another channel other than UV0 the UVs are scaled down (or textures scaled up? something is scaling.)

Triplanar and the standard UV channel uses the same tiling value
    Here you can see when I switched to Triplanar the UVs are fine (Bottom Image)
    upload_2018-3-29_11-36-2.png

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Users use this thread to talk to Unity staff about shader graph. Don't use it to talk to each other unless it's specific to shader graph. Don't reply to this message.

Reanimate_L, elbows and chiapet1021 like this.
  46. Felor3D

Felor3D

I there any plans to make nodes with access to scene lighting data, like Luminance?

47. merpheus

merpheus

Is there a way to define array variables in shader graph ? Like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     half _Intensity[15];

sewy likes this.
  48. SmartPolygon

SmartPolygon

Any way to change the UV channel from a blackboard?

49. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Just change the UV in the Sample Texture Node. :)

50. AurelWu

AurelWu

just tried shader graph for the first time and wrote a hexagonal grid node (based on world position). Really intuitive to work with.

However there some things I'd like to be able to do which would make previewing easier:

Change camera position and distance/size of the preview meshes in the preview windows, this is useful when working with shaders using world position. It's just a really minor thing and not sure if worth the added complexity.

I also noticed that a property I defined as vector 2 had xyzw components exposed in the inspector, not sure if my mistake or bug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.