Search Unity

1. We are looking for feedback on the experimental Unity Safe Mode which is aiming to help you resolve compilation errors faster during project startup.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: Scriptable Render Pipelines

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, May 9, 2017.

1. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

But feedback is still necessary.

2. chingwa

chingwa

(It's still pretty experimental though...)

3. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

Now, after finishing migration spr repository to graphics repository, i hope unity graphics team finally had time to implement some critical srp features:
    1 - RenderWithShader analogue
    2 - multipass shaders
    3 - ability to replace shadowcaster shader, and shadow buffer format(i.e. for VSM)
    4 - proper Fallback. In standard rendering i can just put utility passes in the last shader in Fallbacks chain(i.e. old shaders had "LightMode" = "Vertex", "LightMode" = "ShadowCaster", "LightMode"="Meta" in last Fallback). In SRP this dos'nt work

And will be great if you setup CameraType.Reflection for camera.RenderToCubemap

guycalledfrank likes this.
  4. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

Looks like thread is dead.

5. jjxtra

jjxtra

I’ve been telling my users to stick with standard pipeline for the time being. SRP has potential but still a lot of wrinkles to work through.

tatoforever and tspk91 like this.
  6. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Yes please. Probably they didn't because it wasn't efficient?... I never felt good about feeding strings into it, I hope it didn't literally perform string comparisons for every shader.

Additional point to that: it always makes me nervous to use Enable/DisableShaderKeyword in rendering code (e.g. enable->render pass->disable->render other pass). Is it fast? Should I avoid it? Can we get precomputed keyword hashes instead of strings maybe?

If you blur the VSM, it is actually a good idea to render to standard depth first to save bandwidth. Convert to VSM during first blur pass.
    Also shadowcaster shader can be replaced, it's just your shader needs to have a pass named "ShadowCaster".

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    cecarlsen likes this.
  7. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Is there any explanation for SRP batcher not being compatible with built-in lightmap variables? :|

upload_2020-5-16_22-37-30.png

8. mukki014

mukki014

Did anyone tried URP on Android? Open gl es 3.1 or vulkan? If yes then how's the performance compared to built in render pipeline? Thank you

9. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

I want to do RSM, so i need mini g-buffer instead of simple depth map.

Problem is that EVERY shader need to have that specific pass. SRP can't do proper fallback to certain pass, like in old days shaders.

Unity already feed some per material properties to "overrideMaterial", like light/reflection probes and lightmaps. All they need to do is feed other material properties to this "overrideMaterial"

10. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Further investigation: https://twitter.com/guycalledfrank/status/1261917956021407755
    It doesn't work with unity_LightmapST in UnityPerDraw, but does if you also add unity_DynamicLightmapST o_O

EDIT: actually it turns out I missed the "blocks" idea: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/02/28/srp-batcher-speed-up-your-rendering/

I guess then your only way is to draw renderers with overrideMaterial and use layers or renderQueue to split the drawing into multiple passes with different shader variation (opaque, alphatest, etc). Very cumbersome, yes.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  11. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Is there a way to know if a particular shadow cascade covers any objects? CullingResults.GetShadowCasterBounds gives it for the whole light (full shadow distance), but then after I set split data/matrices and call DrawShadows(), it may not overlap any objects and don't do anything... which is OK unless you expect to prepare/process the texture. In my case I convert depth to VSM, so clear & conversion happens even if nothing was drawn.

12. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

Interesting, how many people are actually make their own render pipe?

13. valarus

valarus

14. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Just had to rewrite my shadow rendering from using DrawShadows to regular DrawRenderers, because I didn't want to cull/use visible lights (mine are static & worldspace) and it worked great. Now I'm wondering why would anyone use DrawShadows anyway? Probably because it checks for "cast shadows" on renderers (not a problem in my case, just using rendering layers instead)?

Is there a changelog anywhere?

valarus likes this.
  15. guycalledfrank

guycalledfrank

Is there any point in cullParams.cullingPlaneCount option? Attempting to set it to anything other than 6 results in "Assertion failed on expression: 'params.cullingPlaneCount == kPlaneFrustumNum'" spamming. Wanted to cull without using 2 planes I didn't need, and it worked, (or looked like so) but got super slow due to infinite error spamming :D

16. valarus

valarus

unityunity