Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: Scriptable Render Pipelines

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, May 9, 2017.

1. Ruchir

Ruchir

how to enable pcss in defered pipeline?? is it only supported in Forward pipeline?
    because as soon as i change the pipeline all the shadows turn into hard shadows:(

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Correct!

However you're able to adjust cascade split blending now, giving a lot more quality to deferred shadows.

3. Ruchir

Ruchir

And just to be sure what are the differences between Forward and defered pipelines??

4. Ruchir

Ruchir

How?

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Unity_2019-07-04_14-22-16.png

It'll be in the volume options, it's only in newer versions though. I'm on 2019.1 with HDRP latest preview available for that. Have a dig about. Add shadows to the global volume.

Borders are the blending.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  6. Ruchir

Ruchir

is soft shadowing possible in defered?

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Yes if you use lower resolution shadows and tweak, but not as a specific feature you're asking for. This is for performance on a wide scale. Forward is not necessarily slow with HDRP, it's still single pass tiled lighting. Give it a shot.

With HDRP, forward is the higher quality option, and if you don't overlap lights much (different to a classic foward renderer) you'll keep pretty much similar perf while having the options you want.

8. konsic

konsic

LWRP is URP now. What changes will HDRP have ?

9. elbows

elbows

What is your question exactly?

There is already a very long list of changes for 7.0.0 of HDRP.

The main thing I am unclear about at the moment is where we are at with improvements to area lighting, such as those mentioned at Unity Roadmap talks a bit earlier this year. I thought some of that stuff was due for 2019.2 but I've lost track of whether any of it happened. Delays?

10. konsic

konsic

It would be nice if URP will become subset of HDRP. I wonder if something will happen in this direction.

11. ekakiya

ekakiya

Please add SortingCriteria for ShadowDrawingSettings, like for DrawingSettings.

We can sort objects by shader with the SortingCriteria and the material's render queue, to fit SRP batcher.
    We can also use SetOverrideMaterial for Z pre-pass of common opaque shaders.

But the DrawShadows pass doesn't have those options, and the pass looks like ignoreing the material's render queue.
    It ends up to many SRP batcher calls, because they are not sorted by shader.

12. kripto289

kripto289

When will be added command buffers and light buffers or analog?
    I absolutely can not adapt anything from my projects.
    I don't have access to a shadows map.
    I can't compute a light volumes/shadows.
    I can't control a rendering queue for custom bliting
    I can't control a camera rendering.
    More than a year has passed, and so far this is the most closed api that cannot be changed.
    After all, srp was originally created so that there would be more opportunities.
    srp - scriptable rendering pipeline and absolutely nothing can be changed by scripts...

Cynicat likes this.
  13. CG_Bull

CG_Bull

Maybe they just give us the source code like unreal, let's change it ourselves. Intresting....

14. Murgilod

Murgilod

Maybe I'm stupid, but is there a... like... collection of API changes between the 2018.4 SRP and the 2019.2 SRP? To put things charitably, the documentation is a little lacking and now next to none of my code is even in the API anymore. This wouldn't be so bad if the documentation in the API reference was any good, but it's real bad actually.

GameDevCouple_I likes this.
  15. bitinn

bitinn

Yeah, I have made similar suggestions (you might have read some), but given their lack of manpower I doubt it's going to happen soon.

Instead, if you are writing a custom SRP, look at repo like this for some reference:

https://github.com/phi-lira/HelloSRP
    https://github.com/cinight/CustomSRP
    https://bitbucket.org/account/user/catlikecodingunitytutorials/projects/SRP

GameDevCouple_I likes this.