Search Unity

Feedback Wanted: Scriptable Render Pipelines

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, May 9, 2017.

1. Ruchir

Ruchir

how to enable pcss in defered pipeline?? is it only supported in Forward pipeline?
    because as soon as i change the pipeline all the shadows turn into hard shadows:(

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Correct!

However you're able to adjust cascade split blending now, giving a lot more quality to deferred shadows.

3. Ruchir

Ruchir

And just to be sure what are the differences between Forward and defered pipelines??

4. Ruchir

Ruchir

How?

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Unity_2019-07-04_14-22-16.png

It'll be in the volume options, it's only in newer versions though. I'm on 2019.1 with HDRP latest preview available for that. Have a dig about. Add shadows to the global volume.

Borders are the blending.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  6. Ruchir

Ruchir

is soft shadowing possible in defered?

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Yes if you use lower resolution shadows and tweak, but not as a specific feature you're asking for. This is for performance on a wide scale. Forward is not necessarily slow with HDRP, it's still single pass tiled lighting. Give it a shot.

With HDRP, forward is the higher quality option, and if you don't overlap lights much (different to a classic foward renderer) you'll keep pretty much similar perf while having the options you want.

8. konsic

konsic

LWRP is URP now. What changes will HDRP have ?

9. elbows

elbows

What is your question exactly?

There is already a very long list of changes for 7.0.0 of HDRP.

The main thing I am unclear about at the moment is where we are at with improvements to area lighting, such as those mentioned at Unity Roadmap talks a bit earlier this year. I thought some of that stuff was due for 2019.2 but I've lost track of whether any of it happened. Delays?

10. konsic

konsic

It would be nice if URP will become subset of HDRP. I wonder if something will happen in this direction.

11. ekakiya

ekakiya

Please add SortingCriteria for ShadowDrawingSettings, like for DrawingSettings.

We can sort objects by shader with the SortingCriteria and the material's render queue, to fit SRP batcher.
    We can also use SetOverrideMaterial for Z pre-pass of common opaque shaders.

But the DrawShadows pass doesn't have those options, and the pass looks like ignoreing the material's render queue.
    It ends up to many SRP batcher calls, because they are not sorted by shader.

12. kripto289

kripto289

When will be added command buffers and light buffers or analog?
    I absolutely can not adapt anything from my projects.
    I don't have access to a shadows map.
    I can't compute a light volumes/shadows.
    I can't control a rendering queue for custom bliting
    I can't control a camera rendering.
    More than a year has passed, and so far this is the most closed api that cannot be changed.
    After all, srp was originally created so that there would be more opportunities.
    srp - scriptable rendering pipeline and absolutely nothing can be changed by scripts...

_FLX, SKoptev and Cynicat like this.
  13. CG_Bull

CG_Bull

Maybe they just give us the source code like unreal, let's change it ourselves. Intresting....

14. Murgilod

Murgilod

Maybe I'm stupid, but is there a... like... collection of API changes between the 2018.4 SRP and the 2019.2 SRP? To put things charitably, the documentation is a little lacking and now next to none of my code is even in the API anymore. This wouldn't be so bad if the documentation in the API reference was any good, but it's real bad actually.

GameDevCouple_I likes this.
  15. bitinn

bitinn

Yeah, I have made similar suggestions (you might have read some), but given their lack of manpower I doubt it's going to happen soon.

Instead, if you are writing a custom SRP, look at repo like this for some reference:

https://github.com/phi-lira/HelloSRP
    https://github.com/cinight/CustomSRP
    https://bitbucket.org/account/user/catlikecodingunitytutorials/projects/SRP

rukqoa, SKoptev and GameDevCouple_I like this.
  16. zwcloud

zwcloud

Can you disable this warning in editor (not in play mode) or show only once? It just spam the console output. Our project creates the main camera after starting playing.

UPDATE
    I modified the source and removed that warning in our project.

17. Wawruch2

Wawruch2

Hello, we working on a project that is highly dependend on a terrain details and realtime GI, recently we tried to upgrade our HDRP to 7.0+ and realtime GI is gone and terrain details seems to be completely ignored, I saw in a blogpost that there's a plan to release a new Realtime GI in Unity 2021 (???). Can you elaborate on that? Roadmap says that it's going to be out of preview in 2019.3 am I right? If so, what about realtime GI?

18. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Realtime GI is deprecated in HDRP 2019.3, and will be entirely removed in 2020.1. There is no official word on what we should do with the one year and a half gap between now and the planned preview of a replacement solution.

Every forum post mentionning that huge problem is just being ignored by Unity. I even wrote to some of the staff individually, and again no response.

Rich_A, DGordon, tspk91 and 1 other person like this.
  19. neoshaman

neoshaman

They don't have a solution yet, from their own wording, they are looking at solution, and in the unite they publicly admitted it will have something to do with a variant of DDGI which was name dropped. They made a blog post where they announced doubling down on lightprobe, so that checks out. The biggest question is about the updating part of the GI, DDGI is implemented using raytracing that bake to light probe, with a visibility structure to prevent light leaking. We have yet to see performance of that on weak machine. I have start working on a custom exploration personnally, starting with roughest approximation and trying to build from there: https://forum.unity.com/threads/exp...n-for-open-gl-es-2-0-and-weak-machine.752600/

20. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

Add RenderWithSrader plz. Without it i cannot even render debug view with albedo-only. SetOverrideMaterial is not an option because it's ignore original material properties.

chingwa and Jes28 like this.
  21. Ashkin

Ashkin

Are there any plans to implement a shader replace function like Camera.RenderWithShader()? DrawingSettings.overrideMaterial overwrites the material properties of objects it renders, while RenderWithShader doesn't. To my knowledge there's no way to get this functionality in SRPs yet, but is there some workaround that just hasn't been documented?

neoshaman and chingwa like this.
  22. tspk91

tspk91

Is there any way to inject custom code in the culling phase? Currently custom dynamic occlusion culling must enable and disable renderers in the main thread, it would be much nicer to modify the culling results at a lower level.

Gekigengar, Jes28 and Kichang-Kim like this.
  23. ekakiya

ekakiya

To select a frame buffer as a render target, we can use BuiltinRenderTextureType.CameraTarget for the current camera.
    But in SRP, the current camera can be changed only with SetupCameraProperties.

The SetupCameraProperties includes other setup matrix things, so are there any way to just change the current camera or select the frame buffer directly?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  24. Dickie

Dickie

Running into the same issue as these two. My pipeline's impossible without properties from the origonal materials being used in the replacement.

As a side note, calls like ScriptableRenderContext.DrawRenderer disappearing off into the blackbox of c++ land is very frustrating and limiting

25. GuardHei

GuardHei

Hi, I've been trying to use SRP batcher in my own SRP. However, if I set
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GraphicsSettings.useScriptableRenderPipelineBatching = true;
    and then open up the frame debugger and click in whatever drawcall that is marked as "SRP Batch", the console will show up the warning "Internal: JobTempAlloc has allocations that are more than 4 frames old - this is not allowed and likely a leak". And then even I closed the frame debugger, the same warning still gonna show up when entering play mode.

I believe I didn't use any allocation related to JobTemp. I used native collections, however, allocating them using Temp. Also these warnings do not exist if
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GraphicsSettings.useScriptableRenderPipelineBatching = false;
    The warning is really annoying because it stops me from using frame debugger. Is it a known issue? A bug from the engine? Or I overlooked any aspects?

By the way I am using 2019.2f on Mac, using Metal.

Thanks for any help!

26. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

I use global shader lod as workaround. I.e. LOD 1 is albedo, LOD 2 is normal, LOD 3 is some masks.

27. konsic

konsic

SRP.JPG
    I've made this artistic impression what SRP should be in future 2020.3/2021.x.
    URP and HDRP should be easy to switch like Cycles and Eevee are although vastly different engines. Black rectangles in HDRP represent everything which can reduce performance for targeted systems and it is disabled in URP.

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I'm sure that would be possible. You would initially start with a copy of the HD SRP, and then modify it to create a subset of it inside of that. This does not sound practical to me though.

If it were me I would focus instead on making URP look pretty and leave HDRP to it's own devices at the top end. It is far easier to do it that way round (and more practical).

29. neoshaman

neoshaman

I bet that srp is structured enough we can create a high level interface that allow to plug anything we want, that currently exist, in the right place, so far what I see is that declaration has to be made in multiple place and files, we can probably unify that like they did with renderpass objects. That would allow to plug and play stuff fast and keep the practicality okay.

30. Invertex

Invertex

I'm really curious about Unity's reasoning to only render the first pass in shaders in LWRP/URP. It seems like a decision that's only going to force people to make less performant and less artist friendly workarounds to render their objects with multiple passes through manual draw calls and separate materials. Multi-pass is a pretty essential shader feature to have that keeps things simple. If there are concerns about it leading to an ecosystem of low-performance third-party shaders, this really only makes that possibility worse by forcing people into more convoluted workarounds.

31. rizu

rizu

Ruchir likes this.
  32. CogumeloSoft

CogumeloSoft

Hi!
    I'm using Unity 2019.3.0f3 and URP 7.1.7
    I'm trying to follow this tutorial:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/pt/2019/0...n-shader-graph-expanding-your-graphs-in-2019/

But the "mainLight.shadowAttenuation" and "mainLight.distanceAttenuation" always return white if using a "Unlit Shader" as Base. It works with a "PBR" shader but this is not what i need (since i need a fully controllable light model).

Is it a bug or there's something new that is not documented about it?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  33. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

Make ResolveAntiAliasedSurface method works with RenderTargetIdentifier.

GuardHei likes this.
  34. valarus

valarus

Will SRP support IES Lamps ?

OCASM likes this.
  35. Zapan15

Zapan15

Would it be possible to use the new renderpiplines per Scene?

For example, we want to use the URP and HDRP in one project.

This would overcome all drawbacks of compatibility issues, like asset store assets which are not compatible with a certain SRP.

Regarding all the SRP incompatibility issues, I think, unity will break his own neck with this approach. One big advantage of unity is/was to just put in some assets from the asset store, modeling program or whatever and it runs. Now you have to deal with compatibility on the very base level, and adding a lot of complexity.

Hopefully I am wrong, and everything will come to a good end. :(

36. chingwa

chingwa

Render Pipelines is a project-wide decision, you can't mix URP and HDRP. And yes SRP has screwed the Asset Store and the most fundamental appeal that Unity grew up on.

Gekigengar likes this.
  37. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

If you implement this in your pipeline.

Why not? I do it while ago to overcome lack of RenderWithShader.

38. Zapan15

Zapan15

Would this work also in runtime, let's say: scene1 HDRP, scene2 URP, sene3 BRP?

39. Jes28

Jes28

It can be possible only if your assets ready for this, materials textures lights.... for each render pipeline :)

40. Zapan15

Zapan15

So, it is also possible to switch the SRP during runtime. Let's say, I know that scene-2 will be HDRP, and my current scene is in BRP. Before loading scene-2, I switch the renderer to HDRP? I thought we can set this only per project basis, so if you have choosen HDRP you need to stick to it?

41. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

Code (CSharp):
    1. GraphicsSettings.renderPipelineAsset
    Thanks that setter is still public.
    Unity guys, please stop privating properties that you think we no needed. We need them.

Gekigengar likes this.
  42. Zapan15

Zapan15

Wow, thank you very much. That will help us a lot :)

unityunity