Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: Scriptable Render Pipelines

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, May 9, 2017.

1. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

We don't have MSAA in HDRP yet, but we will have similar issue. Handling MSAA with algorithm based on compute shader is tricky as compute shader can't write into sample of a MSAA target. In our case the alternative will be to do the cascade shadow map directly in the shader instead of with screen space shadow to solve it.

2. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

I would LOVE to draw procedural geometry (on the GPU) in the HDRP. But I can't figure out how to utilize DrawProcedural without changing the pipeline itself.

Keijiro has shown that it is perfectly possible to create custom shaders for HDRP without using the shader graph and therefore it should also be possible to look up data from a ComputeBuffer.
    https://github.com/keijiro/TestbedHDRP/tree/master/Assets/CustomShader

The way I hoped to approach this was to add a CommandBuffer to the cameras in the scene, but they seem to be ignored entirely by the pipeline. CommandBuffers has so far proven a very useful feature, so why you would abandon them?

Please enlighten me how we are supposed to draw procedural geometry in HDRP.

3. Immu

Immu

Bruh. I really hope it is not dropped. I've also tried in HDRP, it doesn't work too and is furthermore now hidden in the inspector only in Debug ?? @Tim-C
    Other thing I'm worrying about is seeing all the strong issues I had on LWRP disappearing from the issue tracker for no explanation, for example:
    -https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/lwrp-directional-light-culling-masks-dont-work-properly
    is considered as a duplicate and redirects to
    -https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/lwrp-light-layer-culling-not-working
    which does not exist anymore.

The issue tracker being absolutely bad on the research filters, it doesn't help.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  4. XRA

XRA

hey can anyone clarify MaterialPropertyBlock usage with Command Buffer DrawProcedural ?

the texture set via the material property block shows up as the small default unity gray texture in frame debugger. If I use cmd.SetGlobalTexture it works.

When a MaterialPropertyBlock is assigned for example:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. _cmd.DrawProcedural(Matrix4x4.identity,_sheet.Mat,kBRGConvertPass,MeshTopology.Triangles,3,1,_sheet.Prop);
    shouldn't I be able to then update _sheet.Prop outside of the render loop, and the command buffer still references it, so any material property changes are used when the command buffer executes next time around? (To avoid clearing and re-setting commands with cmd.SetGlobal... Since the commands in the buffer dont need to change, only the properties set in the Material Property Block change in this case)

I also tried using [PerRendererData] but it had no effect.

5. poa123

poa123

Yes, most of the problem is regarding Normal Map... if i don´t use it, the problem is almost gone.

Texturing Filtering is something we can expect for 2018 or only on 2019 and beyond? For me, it appears to be something really important to make our scenes looks better.

Thanks a lot!

6. fhc10

fhc10

I wonder if the lack of texture filtering is also causing artifacts related to Bloom?

Right now i am facing lots of "sparkles / shining spots" on smooth surfaces (like water puddles) only when Bloom enabled, besides the jittering mentioned before (not bloom related)... if i disable the Normal Map the problem is "solved" for both cases.

I hope this can be addressed in the near future... the problem is very noticeable right now... IMHO, with that we will reach the same "default" visual quality of other engines out there. I mean, right now we put the same asset (like Adam assets, or Allegorithmic textures) on Unity and in other engine, and this problem makes a real difference in the comparison.

Loving the effort you guys are making!!!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  7. poa123

poa123

Hi guys!

Can anyone tell me the difference between the HD Lit and the HD StackLit shaders?
    There will be options on Shader Graph for both types? PBR Graph uses the "default" Lit?

Thanks!

reflectingb0t likes this.
  8. reflectingb0t

reflectingb0t

Hi, I was wondering if there's a way to have Exponential fog and Volumetric fog at the same time in a project with HDRP? I want to have subtle visible light shafts but also hide camera clipping by using a quite dense fog in the distance.
    (Volumetric Fog's Mean Free Path does not give me the desired result in any way.)
    I would have expected to choose between Exponential and Linear fog type and then have an additional checkbox to activate Volumetrics.

Thanks!

9. elbows

elbows

I saw work done via github to support exponential fog and volumetric fog at the same time some weeks back, but I havent checked whether that stuff is working in any github branch or whether it made it into a release version yet.

10. elbows

elbows

See this post for the answer: #547

Basically its an evolved, forward only shader that is aimed at enabling certain features at the expense of performance. It is not intended for games but rather other uses of the engine where performance heavy stuff is not as much of an issue (eg Automotive, cinematic stuff)

11. elbows

elbows

OK I checked to see what it was that I remembered - there is a branch in github from June called MWU/MixedFogModes where some work was done on this, but I've not personally seen evidence that this was finished or merged into a main branch. So I dont know what the status of that feature is.

12. reflectingb0t

reflectingb0t

Do you still know the name of this github? I can only find this one (https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/VolumetricLighting) and it seems not to work with HDRP.

13. elbows

elbows

Its just a branch of the ScriptableRenderPipeline on github. And I'm not really suggesting you try it yourself unless you are comfortable with that sort of thing. Especially as there were only a couple of commits to this branch and it will not be way behind where master etc branches are at now. And I dont know what MWU stands for/relates to.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/tree/MWU/MixedFogModes

You can see the two commits that were specific to that branch from this url:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/commits/MWU/MixedFogModes

14. elbows

elbows

Ah I just occured to me that MWU may stand for Made With Unity, perhaps they had a specific demo project they needed that functionality for initially.

15. Morillan

Morillan

Hi, Do anyone knows how SSR Proxy Volume works?. I know it´s been in the 2018. 2 beta for a while but I thought it was locked since I couldn´t make it work. Now that it´s been announced as one of the new features in 2018.2 I was hoping some documentation or any mention somewhere, but I couldn´t find anything. I accept this proxy mode is not as good and accurate as the mode they are going to release with 2018.3 but at least we should see some changes on screen. There is not much options to play with, and everything I´ve tried seems to do nothing at all. The only thing related to proxy SSR I could find ( I suppose) is Reflection Proxy Volume Component that once added to an empty game object creates a box (Volume) that should (I suppose ) include the whole scene, but this makes no difference. Do anyone have any idea how to set this up??

Thanks!

16. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Can't speak for LW. For HD it is on purpose that we have not supported it, the lighting architecture is very different. In next version of HD package on 2018.3 we will support it (through renderingLayers mask on renderer).

For the tracker, the issue have been entered into our internal database, goal was to have a single way to report issue. Not sure why this one in particular don't exist anymore (@Tim-C ?)

17. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Yes, we hope to have texture filtering either for 2018.3 or 2019.1, we have already start on it, but aren't satisfy with what we get.

poa123 likes this.
  18. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Bloom isn't related, it simply make the effect visible, nothing more, the root cause is before bloom filter. But bloom itself can contain clamp value to limit the effect, there is threshold in bloom for max value to reduce high spike clash.

poa123 likes this.
  19. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

HD StackLit is in development, it isn't aim for game but for higher compute power. So it is not recommend to be use for game purpose. IT is similar to Lit but without any of the restriction force by deferred rendering. It also always favor accuracy. It is based on a Publications of Laurent Belcour to be presented at this Siggraph for the Layering system.

A shader graph version will be available like for Lit, but not ETA. PBR graph use a restricted version of Lit (i.e a version that is the union of HD Lit and LW Standard shader). So no SSS, no anisotropy etc...

poa123 likes this.
  20. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

There is no way currently, but it is not hard to code if you can afford it. Otherwise we plan to add this in a near future, others have made the same request.

TerraUnity and reflectingb0t like this.
  21. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

22. yian-dev

yian-dev

Please pretty please bring emissive decals, they dont have to emit light into other objects but at least get bloom effect and more bright color.

23. yian-dev

yian-dev

Please bring decal priority and allow us to enable/disable decal by layers or by ID, i have a character that i want it to have a texture when selected under his feet but gets projected all over the mesh aswell, and i really need emissive for intensity and bloom effect, not really needed for other surface i can use point light where decal is for that, altough if you could tell us how to modify the HDRP decal shader to emit light like a point light that would be something. I have no clue about low level rendering its too complicated.
    Can i make a new HDRP decal shader graph? theres is only PBR shader graph i dont know how to do it.

24. yian-dev

yian-dev

HDRP Decal projector doesnt render the decal where a shadow is, this is broken...

25. aslad

aslad

Does someone know why ambient light gets reset when I enter play mode? I want ambient light but I don't want to have a sky (it's for an indoor scene).

26. reflectingb0t

reflectingb0t

Okay, thank you. What does near future mean, is it planned for the next updates or rather later this year?

27. reflectingb0t

reflectingb0t

I had the same problem a few days ago, fixed it with this: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/wiki/sky-and-fog
    You have to add a Volume and Baking Sky component to an empty game object and set it to a layer, which is also set as Sky Lighting Override Mask in the HDRP Asset. I used a custom gradient made with Photoshop as a HDRI Sky and now this is used for lighting. The Lighting Tabs Environment Settings cannot be used with HDRP. @SebLagarde explained it a few comments back in this thread.

Attached Files:

28. aslad

aslad

Thanks a lot @leakronenberger, that worked! I figured I should do that but that's quite a pain to generate a gradient while it could be done on the fly in the editor as in the old lighting settings. Hopefully in a future version!

29. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

>We may add the gradient later, not a priority due to other task.

We have added gradient sky, will be available in a later version of 3.0.X

aslad, poa123 and elbows like this.
  30. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Decal only modify the surface, so if the surface is in shadow, it receive shadow

31. pavelkouril

pavelkouril

This is something I'd be interested in knowing too; could anyone from the SRP/HDRP teams shine some light on this please? :)

32. Onigiri

Onigiri

Hi. Planar reflections is broken for me. In scene view it has a solid white color and dont reflect anything. Also in game view it has a strange flickering. Default settings, Win7, Unity 2018.2, HDRP 3.0.0-preview

33. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

We have introduce draw order control per material in an upcoming version (so not per decal).

>allow us to enable/disable decal by layers or by ID
    You mean by material ID? This is already doable, there is a "enable DBuffer" option on material (rename Enable Decals in upcoming version).

>the HDRP decal shader to emit light like a point light that would be something
    I don't understand the description :).
    You can spawn a light at decal position if desired.

>Can i make a new HDRP decal shader graph?
    Not currently.

For emissive decal we haven't investigate it currently. We may add them depends on task/priority, no promise.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Korindian and hippocoder like this.
  34. Korindian

Korindian

Emission on decals are useful for glowing hot areas from impacts as well as other effects like little lights on decals on hard surface models. Here is an demonstration someone made using custom mesh decal shaders for the legacy built-in rendering pipeline from this thread at polycount:

http://i.imgur.com/REg49r2.gif

I understand that the team may have not looked into it yet, but if emission won't be supported in the included decal shader, please include a way to create our own emissive decal shader in the Shader Graph.

Thanks for considering it.

35. adslitw

adslitw

Not sure if this is the correct place for this... I'd love to use the LWRP but I need to use cookies (or at least an approximation of them). I'm guessing they're not on any roadmap?

36. yian-dev

yian-dev

Would it be possible to make an object receive some decals but not others? maybe some api exposed so we can write scripts for that? currently the option "Enable Decals" on material turns all decals on or all decals off, but i cant exclude decals, like i want Decal1 on this material but not Decal 2.

For emissive part im mainly interested in unlocking the RGB color intensity to go above 255 or 1.0 so that the bloom from post processing creates the effect around it. Like i mentioned previously on a character i have, when certain skill is activated he gets a decal under him projected down on the surface and i would like its color to be more intense to receive bloom effect.
    Either trough albedo or trough an emissive setting.

This is how UnrealEngine4 works, every material or color slider can go past 255 or that 0-1.0 mapping and anything above 255 or 1.0 gets an bloom effect based on how much it goes past 255 or 1.0, on materials, decals or whatever it is.
    You can go really crazy in there like instead of RGB ( 1, 0 , 0.5) you can do like (20, 0, 10) and you get a really intensive magenta bloom on that surface, without touching bloom settings, the intensity increases based on the material RGB settings regardless of the bloom settings in post processing profile.

Its a really neat feature of UE4 pipeline that i would like to see in unity in the future no rush.

Think of it like bloom/emission achieved by overflowing the RGB color setting and anything past 255/1.0 gets bloom effect depending on how much it goes past it.
    Thanks.

37. elbows

elbows

That doesnt sound entirely dissimilar to picking HDR (high dynamic range) colours with the colour picker.

38. yian-dev

yian-dev

I have one more feedback or request.
    Im not sure if this is a render pipeline subject or post process subject.

Could you please add Dithering shader to the pipeline or the post processing stack, this goes for LWRP and HDRP.
    Im still experiencing a lot of color banding in unity even with all sort of effects turned on.

One solution for this is dithering shader like shown in the link below this is exactly the issues im having, altough with color grading/bloom/skybox on, the effect diminshes a bit but its still there.
    Half on the left is like unity no dithering, right half is with dithering.
    https://www.shadertoy.com/view/MlV3R1

Here is an old page for unity legacy rendering no lwrp/hdrp https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PostProcessing-Dithering.html
    HDRP post process stack no longer has dithering option, and i think a new solution is needed if you look closely in that link even the image with dithering on still has subtle banding left.

Im currently using HDRP with default scene, if you go under Scene tab and disable all effects using the toggle near Toggle audio on off, the entire scenes gets severe banding issues.
    In other game engines this doesnt happen in the editor with effects on or off doesnt matter, and im not sure why. Either they have higher than 8-bit buffers or they apply a dithering algorithm to the buffers after lighting regardless of settings be it in editor or final game.
    Only unity has this issue and i have no idea how to fix it by myself.
    How do i inject a dithering shader in the pipeline after lighting but before all other effects, or increase buffer colorspace bits?
    Applying dithering after PostProcessing is not right i think.

Im not sure if this would work but for the HDRP we could have 10-12-16 bit color buffers since it would most likely be supported on all high end platform, and for LWRP maybe use dithering?

Im reading about this issue here:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16005952/opengl-gradient-banding-artifacts#

Can the unity engineers do something about this?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  39. Dudledok

Dudledok

Hi all, I am trying to recreate an effect I had before changing to SRP where the screen was inverted through the x axis.

I was achieving this before using
    OnPreCull
    OnPreRender
    and
    OnPostRender
    :
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     private void OnPreCull()
    2.     {
    3.         m_camera.ResetWorldToCameraMatrix();
    4.         m_camera.ResetProjectionMatrix();
    5.         m_camera.projectionMatrix = m_camera.projectionMatrix * Matrix4x4.Scale(new Vector3(-1, 1, 1));
    6.     }
    8.     private void OnPreRender()
    9.     {
    10.         GL.invertCulling = true;
    11.     }
    13.     private void OnPostRender()
    14.     {
    15.         GL.invertCulling = false;
    16.     }
    I can achieve the image flip using
    RenderPipeline.beginCameraRendering
    , however I still need to invert the culling. I can set
    GL.invertCulling
    to true but then I can't see anything as if it's all being culled completely. What's the best way to do this without a Pre and Post Render?

Edit: And can we specify which camera we want to pass to the BeginCameraRendering callback? It feels excessive that this will be called for each camera in the scene when I only want the effect on a single camera:
    Code (CSharp):
    2.     private void BeginCameraRender(Camera camera)
    3.     {
    4.         if(camera == m_camera)
    5.         {
    6.             camera.ResetWorldToCameraMatrix();
    7.             camera.ResetProjectionMatrix();
    8.             camera.projectionMatrix = camera.projectionMatrix * Matrix4x4.Scale(new Vector3(-1, 1, 1));
    9.             GL.invertCulling = true;
    10.         }
    11.         else
    12.         {
    13.             GL.invertCulling = false;
    14.         }
    15.     }

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  40. kraihd

kraihd

Hello.

I want to produce FilterResults (visibleRenderers) manually in SRP.
    (https://forum.unity.com/threads/scriptable-culling.541398/)
    Is there any method to convert the collection of Renderer to the native result struct, or any other simple culling methods?

In this thread, Tim said that this topic is discussed and on your list one year ago.
    Has this feature already been available? Otherwise is it to be available?

41. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...estProjects/HDRP_Tests/Packages/manifest.json

I've updated the readme also. The issue was that we split the projects into HD / LW / SHadergraph and it's not just one project now.

42. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi. We have not done the work to allow this yet. It's in out backlog but right now we are concentrating on stabilization.

kraihd likes this.
  43. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

It's on our radar. We need to fix it :)

44. ck_rem

ck_rem

I have meet the bug in HDRP Preview3.0.0 in Unity 2018.2.0.f2,the test code like these in MotionVectors pass fragment function
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void Frag(  PackedVaryingsToPS packedInput,
    2.             out float4 outColor : SV_Target0
    3.             #ifdef _DEPTHOFFSET_ON
    4.             , out float outputDepth : SV_Depth
    5.             #endif
    6.             )
    7. {
    8.     FragInputs input = UnpackVaryingsMeshToFragInputs(packedInput.vmesh);
    10.     // input.positionSS is SV_Position
    11.     PositionInputs posInput = GetPositionInput(input.positionSS.xy, _ScreenSize.zw, input.positionSS.z, input.positionSS.w, input.positionRWS);
    13. #ifdef VARYINGS_NEED_POSITION_WS
    14.     float3 V = GetWorldSpaceNormalizeViewDir(input.positionRWS);
    15. #else
    16.     float3 V = 0; // Avoid the division by 0
    17. #endif
    19.     // Perform alpha testing + get velocity
    20.     SurfaceData surfaceData;
    21.     BuiltinData builtinData;
    22.     GetSurfaceAndBuiltinData(input, V, posInput, surfaceData, builtinData);
    24.     VaryingsPassToPS inputPass = UnpackVaryingsPassToPS(packedInput.vpass);
    25. #ifdef _DEPTHOFFSET_ON
    26.     inputPass.positionCS.w += builtinData.depthOffset;
    27.     inputPass.previousPositionCS.w += builtinData.depthOffset;
    28. #endif
    30.     // TODO: How to allow overriden velocity vector from GetSurfaceAndBuiltinData ?
    31.     float2 velocity = CalculateVelocity(inputPass.positionCS, inputPass.previousPositionCS);
    33.     // Convert from Clip space (-1..1) to NDC 0..1 space.
    34.     // Note it doesn't mean we don't have negative value, we store negative or positive offset in NDC space.
    35.     // Note: ((positionCS * 0.5 + 0.5) - (previousPositionCS * 0.5 + 0.5)) = (velocity * 0.5)
    36.     EncodeVelocity(velocity * 0.5, outColor);
    38.     // Note: unity_MotionVectorsParams.y is 0 is forceNoMotion is enabled
    39.     bool forceNoMotion = unity_MotionVectorsParams.y == 0.0;
    40.     if (forceNoMotion)
    41.         outColor = float4(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
    43. #ifdef _DEPTHOFFSET_ON
    44.     outputDepth = posInput.deviceDepth;
    45. #endif
    47.     float4x4 previousModelMatrix = ApplyCameraTranslationToMatrix(unity_MatrixPreviousM);
    48.     float4x4 curModelMatrix = UNITY_MATRIX_M;
    49.     bool b1 = (previousModelMatrix[0].x == curModelMatrix[0].x) && (previousModelMatrix[0].y == curModelMatrix[0].y) && (previousModelMatrix[0].z == curModelMatrix[0].z) && (previousModelMatrix[0].w == curModelMatrix[0].w);
    50.     bool b2 = (previousModelMatrix[1].x == curModelMatrix[1].x) && (previousModelMatrix[1].y == curModelMatrix[1].y) && (previousModelMatrix[1].z == curModelMatrix[1].z) && (previousModelMatrix[1].w == curModelMatrix[1].w);
    51.     bool b3 = (previousModelMatrix[2].x == curModelMatrix[2].x) && (previousModelMatrix[2].y == curModelMatrix[2].y) && (previousModelMatrix[2].z == curModelMatrix[2].z) && (previousModelMatrix[2].w == curModelMatrix[2].w);
    52.     bool b4 = (previousModelMatrix[3].x == curModelMatrix[3].x) && (previousModelMatrix[3].y == curModelMatrix[3].y) && (previousModelMatrix[3].z == curModelMatrix[3].z) && (previousModelMatrix[3].w == curModelMatrix[3].w);
    53.     if (b1 && b2 && b3 && b4)
    54.     {
    55.         outColor = float4(1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
    56.     }
    57. }
    In frameDebugger,I find the velocity buffer is always red...Is the bug Fixed?

45. petersx

petersx

Hi,
    Where's in the latest Unity 2018.2.f2 HDRP settings for antialiasing ? I can't find it.

46. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Besides MSAA, it's in same place as with legacy renderer, in your Post Process Layer (script) which you setup for your camera (MSAA would be on your pipeline asset but it doesn't work yet).

47. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    MSAA settings are on the HDRP asset (as said above). However we have hidden them currently as it doesn't work.

48. petersx

petersx

That's mean that in HDRP antialiasing does not exists ?

49. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Seems like you didn't get the message, the antialiasing is there on the Post process Layer on camera but still lacking the MSAA mode. Look here for a comparison between TAA & MSAA.

50. Dudledok

Dudledok

Is there a solution to this? Maybe an alternative method is better, but what I want is essentially to flip a camera's view horizontally.