Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Feedback wanted on smoother Freeform Lights

Discussion in '2D' started by rustum, Oct 29, 2020.

1. rustum

rustum

Unity Technologies

We are trying out a version of the Freeform 2D Light that smooths out the corners making them less pointed. This also produces a smoother falloff continuity around the light

This image shows the difference between the sharper and softer freeform lights:
    Freeform Light.png
    Art by Kenney available at kenney.nl

Feedback Wanted

• If we replaced the current Freeform 2D Light with this one how would it affect your project?
    • What does it break?
    • What does it improve?
    • Please share any other thoughts, concerns or some screenshots with us too.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Lars-Steenhoff, spryx and NotaNaN like this.
  2. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

I have not looked at the code (and do not know how much reworking was required to create the Soft Freeform Light), but perhaps you could allow us to switch between Sharp and Soft via a little toggle box? :oops:

I understand why you might not want to do this — as keeping in the old functionality creeps the complexity of maintaining the code — but I felt like I should ask, since both Sharp and Soft types could prove useful to people. ;)

3. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

I want it even softer. The sharp lines - in version 1 - looked extremely out of place in my game and would still look out of place in version 2. I just use Sprite mode, so perhaps that's really the only solution for my use case.

NotaNaN likes this.
  4. Baste

Baste

The softer ones does for sure look better in general, and we'd prefer that if we had to chose. Haven't used them enough yet for it to change anything for our project.

NotaNaN likes this.
  5. Ferazel

Ferazel

I would like to have a sharpness slider if possible. There are situations where I want to mimic harsher light shafts and there are times when I want a smoother glow. Please don’t limit us to one look or another.

NotaNaN likes this.
  6. dignus93

dignus93

I would love this function! In my project lights are a bit too sharp and we don't have a proper solution to this.

Attached Files:

7. MustafaAbbasi

MustafaAbbasi

I like the softer one better but its up to preference and environment. Good concept

8. zfh2773

zfh2773

I want to be able to adjust the roundness every point. and, please add 2D depth of field.

9. changedusername

changedusername

Thank you !!

10. changedusername

changedusername

Thank you !!

11. togaykurtulus

togaykurtulus

I think it is good idea. I believe with lighting and shadows the games will look better and the freeform light is very useful.

12. Lasiloper

Lasiloper

I meet the same problem and find this thread today. I don't know if you have resolved your problem but I find you can use blurred sprite light to simulation freefrom light to make it look better.