Search Unity

Official Feedback Wanted - Mesh Area Survey

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Anne_Daney, Apr 4, 2023.

1. Anne_Daney

Anne_Daney

Unity Technologies

Per user request, the survey has been reopened! The new deadline is June 30th 2023!

Hey everyone,

The Unity Mesh team would like to invite you to participate in a short survey to get your thoughts on the Mesh area.
    We are looking forward to learning more about how you use mesh, and if you have encountered any struggle with it that you would like to share with us.
    Whether you are a beginner or an experienced user, we want to hear your perspective.

Your responses to our survey will help us understand how to best help you and to make better product decisions. You may be contacted shortly after filling out the questionnaire about further participation in our research, if you express interest in doing so.

This survey will remain open until 30 June 2023:
    https://unitysoftware.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_56JZ0M9rCLeIndA

[EDIT] It appears that some people had a "survey not active" displayed at the end of the survey. The answers to the survey are still recorded though. It does not happen on all computers, and we are still investigating. In case, you also encounter an error don't hesitate to send me a message.

[EDIT 2] The error has been fixed. But if you still get the error, do not hesitate to send me a message

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    dnach likes this.
  2. DevDunk

DevDunk

When completing it gives me a warning, hope it submitted
    upload_2023-4-5_15-17-43.png

3. Anne_Daney

Anne_Daney

Unity Technologies

Hi DevDunk,
    Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey and thank you for reporting this problem!
    I'm investigating. We received an entry around that time that could be yours. But I don't have a way to check since the surveys are anonymous.

DevDunk likes this.
  4. DevDunk

DevDunk

If it's about vr mesh deformation and slicing, that's me :p

5. Anne_Daney

Anne_Daney

Unity Technologies

Good news it is you! :)

DevDunk likes this.
  6. joebain

joebain

Hey, I just completed the survey too and got the same "survey is not active" message at the end. Hopefully the answers got through to you anyway.

7. Zapan15

Zapan15

Same here

8. Anne_Daney

Anne_Daney

Unity Technologies

@Zapan15 and @joebain we have received your answers. We are still investigating because it does not seems to happen on all computers.

9. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

upload_2023-4-16_7-57-18.png
    For what its worth, it does work for me.

Anne_Daney likes this.
  10. aras-p

aras-p

Surveys are good and nice, but what I'd love to see in addition to surveys is:

- After the survey is done, please share what you found and learned!
    - Please also share what is the current plan/thinking/roadmap for the mesh area, and if the survey changes that in any way, then share what will you update and change.
    - Also, in many cases participating in a public "discussion" instead of a survey can be more useful. Surveys are very much 1:1 (or even 1:0, since communication is one-way) approach. Discussion can be many:many, and the community and users can together formulate something or notice the patterns.

For reference, my wishes that I filled in the survey are mostly like:

1) revamp the mesh data encoding/compression. Currently it's a weird mix of "mesh compression" import setting and "vertex attribute compression" setting that mostly are incompatible, unintuitive and in many cases do not help you achieve anything good. In a game engine of year 2020+, I'd expect octahedral encoding for normals/tangents, FP16 or UInt16 quantization for UVs and similar to be out of the box features. Plus some good and modern compression approaches for the serialized data storage.

2) Some sort of built-in LOD support -- currently there's nothing at all. Unity has acquired PIXYZ which is mostly about LOD, I think? If that one is good, why some variant of it is not part of the editor?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  11. Anne_Daney

Anne_Daney

Unity Technologies

Hi Aras,

I'm really glad you took the time to answer the survey :)
    Those are indeed valid points. The survey is actually just the first step to evaluate the roadmap.
    The idea behind using a survey is simply because forums may sometimes feel overwhelming for some people, like for example when you are a beginner still learning how to use Unity Editor.
    It was important to get as many answers as possible so we could have a neutral view on the priorities.
    But that doesn't prevent any conversation from happening in the forums :)
    And we can definitely share what we learned and discuss it with the community.

The answers will help define which areas should be prioritized each time we make a decision on a new feature.
    Ex: Should we focus on the workflows for now because beginners are off set by them? Prioritize the performances? Add missing features like a new skinning algorithm?

By the way, 3 LODs features that might interest you have been added in the Rendering And Visual Effects roadmap "Under consideration": Hierarchical LOD, Automatic Generation of LODs and 3D Imposters.
    Don't hesitate to vote!

12. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Filled out the new reopened survey. To be honest I didn't even think of LODs or other things like that. I would probably put that in my response if I could edit it. Right now I have been (and will continue to be) dealing with a lot of mesh generation. So that was top of my mind. Realistically I can recognize that LOD gen and things of that nature are probably more impactful and useful to the majority of people.

But I do second Aras' thinking that it would be nice to have a post or update to this thread with what the teams take away and plan is once it is known! :D

Anne_Daney and Magdoca like this.
  13. DevDunk

DevDunk

Filled it out as well after more months of working on mesh tools.
    I forgot to add the request to use writable mesh data without depositing it every use.
    I update a mesh every frame, so simply using meshdata and not having to create new writable mesh data every frame would be great

Anne_Daney likes this.
  14. Anne_Daney

Anne_Daney

Unity Technologies

An update is indeed planned. We have already noticed some trends in the answers that we would like to discuss with the community.

MechaWolf99 and aras-p like this.