Search Unity

Feedback Wanted: Lightweight Render Pipeline

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, Feb 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dienat

dienat

https://blogs.unity3d.com/es/2018/07/10/2018-2-is-now-available/
    They said that "Please note the HDRP is not currently supported on any AR or VR platforms. Support for these platforms is scheduled for 2019" if you can wait until some unknown time in 2019...

2. dienat

dienat

Anyone has tried photorealistic assets like megascans in lightweight? would like to know if quality becomes much worse than standard built in.
    Also when will end preview state for lightweight? as right now it is not adviced for commercial projects

3. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Assets look the same, LWRP isn't made to have bad rendering it's made to be lightweight/performant and multiplatform.

dienat likes this.
  4. asd234w4r5

asd234w4r5

Getting weird error on iOS:
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'LightweightPipeline/Standard (Physically Based)' - Pass 'Meta' has no vertex shader

5. dienat

dienat

Actually i made the test and lightweight looks much worse but pools, but has much higher fps than builtin

With lightweight linear rendering

lightweight.jpg

Built-in linear rendering

builtin.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    syscrusher likes this.
  6. IgnisIncendio

IgnisIncendio

Doesn't seem like you have shadows enabled on LWRP, and sun intensity is different too.

7. dienat

dienat

I didnt have linear enabled for lw, you can see the new picture, it had shadows enabled before anyways, i didnt change anything in project, its the same, just added a lightweight profile with all options enabled

8. IgnisIncendio

IgnisIncendio

Hmm... weird. Is it something related to shadow distance or vertex lighting?

9. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

In LW you are going to have to tweak the post / tone mapping also. It's not designed to look 100% the same. The upgrade path is there to help, not be a 100% conversion.

syscrusher and hippocoder like this.
  10. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

NOTE:For everyone having issues please try LWRP 3.0.0, also make sure to uncheck the 'Local Shadows' checkbox on the Lightweight Render Pipeline Asset for now as there are bugs with the packing logic.

It would be great if you can file a bug with screenshots of the glitches you are seeing, we have run on a variety of low-end devices here and are getting reasonable speeds, with few being slower than built in.

It's on the very long list of fixes to be done, as it lies more on the added feature side it's lower on the list as say all the rendering/performance bugs, but it's definitely on our todo.

If you could try updating to version 3.0.0, if it still happens here then could you send in a bug with a smallish repo, that would help a ton.

Hmm, I'm unable to reproduce it here, I have multiple cameras working just fine on both Android and iOS, updated LWRP to 3.0.0 see if it's fixed, otherwise if you could send in a bug report with a repo project that would help us immensely.

This is a known issue and also affects the scene gizmos, we are looking into a fix.

Hard to tell whats going on here as I can't see what the shader is supposed to be doing, try upgrading to the latest 3.0.0 and if the issues still exists can you please report a bug with a repo (Make sure you throw 'LWRP' in the title as it will get processed quicker)

This is actually something we have just implemented in the latest 3.0.0 package, the idea of 'passes' that you can just inject in the render pipeline very easily, that said, we have zero documentation on it, I plan on creating a few example use cases to get people started before the documentation/tutorials are ready, but again we have a lot on our plate :(

So I haven't looked personally into HDRP lately much, LWRP is keeping me well busy, but I know they pack a lot of maps into channels, so you would have to see what maps they pack into what channels(RGB) and then create a Shadergraph shader for that. Biggest issue here is that you will have to either do all this by hand or create a script to automate converting all the materials.
    Do keep in mind though it will not look the same, Book of the Dead relies a lot on HDRP specific features to look good, some are Occlusion Probes, Volumetric lighting, AO, Motion blur, Tessellation, Translucency, Wind System, TAA etc.

syscrusher likes this.
  11. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

As the actual Standard (Physically Based) shader is on par with the inbuilt Standard shaders lighting, PBR scans will look identical, where you will see variation will be in the other areas such as limited shadows, limited post, etc.

You can ignore this error, this is purely a pass used for light mapping in the editor, we just have a bug that does not strip them correctly for builds.

12. Jes28

Jes28

There is no option to update go LWRP 3.0.0 only 2.0.5

Where I can get 3.0.0?

13. elbows

elbows

I was confused when version 3 was mentioned too.

Because, based on what versions of pipelines the Package manager offers me in 2018.1, compared to what is available in 2018.2, I was under the impression that pipeline version numbers correlate with Unity version numbers.

Which means I think that version 3.x of pipelines are only available in Unity 2018.3, and even the beta of 2018.3 is not available to most people yet.

14. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Yes, I realised I jumped the gun here :D 3.0.0 is indeed for 18.3(which the beta will be landing soon) but in saying that LWRP 3.0.0 works with 18.2 fine and is publicly available via the staging registry from package manager, what this means is it hasn't been through a full QA pass yet(which I'm currently fitting in now) to be promoted to the public release registry.
    If you want to get your hands on it now you can edit your manifest.json file to point to the staging registry, eg:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.    "registry": "https://staging-packages.unity.com",
    3.    "dependencies": {
    4.       "com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight": "3.0.0-preview",
    5.    }
    6. }
    But this is at your own peril :) so far 3.0.0 seems better than 2.0.5, though Shadow Cascades have decided to fail spectaculary so warning you now.

syscrusher and elbows like this.
  15. syscrusher

syscrusher

Fantastic! My customers aren't pushing for SRP compatibility quite yet; I'm just trying to get ahead of the curve on this because I know it will take some work.

Is there value in our further corresponding on this as a test case, or would that just clutter your already-full plate? Should I attempt to work this on my own based on the 3.0.0 package (from Github, I presume?), or is the API obscure enough that it's not feasible for someone to just work out the usage details by examining the source?

In any case, thanks for the reply. If the answer is, "Just wait for a while," I can live with that, but if I can be of help in testing I'd certainly like to offer that. Your call. :)

brainwipe likes this.
  16. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

It would be great to get some feedback on it but I feel we need to show a handful of examples first so theres at least something basic to go off, the documentation for this will be a way off yet and I have no idea on the timeframe for this. Saying that if you want to look at it, right now jump on the latest master from Github, and take a look at this file, it is a custom pipeline built on LWRP.
    I know it's not much to go off and it is brand new so expect it to change vastly before its a thing :D but it's something to look at. I want to do a feedback thread on here about it later once we have locked it down some more, and also have the examples to go along with it(which will also help refine it as I've ported part of the Boat Attack demo to it and already asked for API changes).

17. syscrusher

syscrusher

Looking at the code, I can see where you're doing the pass setup. The part that I think is confusing (and I'm not asking you to explain here, just putting this into the thought process for the documentation and/or API design) is how to make C# code that can "hook" any arbitrary SRP pipeline for these kind of immediate draws. Asset developers who aren't specifically marketing a complete pipeline need a way to interact with not only the LWRP and HDRP but also with project-local custom pipelines.

I absolutely understand that's a tall order, especially with complex rendering because conceptually this contradicts the whole reason scriptable pipelines exist. :) In my use-case, the need is for basically a gizmo-type draw call (but also in game mode for debugging purposes by gamedevs) using a customized unlit shader. So I would hope the baseline functionality of drawing colored pixels would be common enough between the various SRP pipelines.

Admittedly, my comments above may be off base because I hadn't really started experimenting with SRP until about a week ago, so please forgive me if I've not expressed the problem in the correct terms. Also, I'm a tool developer and not a rendering pipeline expert -- I only got involved with the rendering because of the need to migrate my custom shader and inline procedural draw calls from built-in to SRP model.

18. ThierryLemt27

ThierryLemt27

The problem is not the result of the shader. It's just that it's missing elements.

What it's look like now (2018.2.0f2):

And how it suppose to be (these pictures was taken in the previous version - 2018.1.5f1)

As I said, the preview of the material is not working. And It missing workflow, surface, blend and two sided.

19. Vak_HD

Vak_HD

Hello,

I am using the LWRP version 2.0.5 in 2018.2 on a Mac and for all pretty much all my materials I am getting a warning message on the console stating:

Metal: Fragment shader missing buffer binding at index 3 (_LightIndexBuffer / LightweightPipeline/Standard (Simple Lighting))

Metal: Fragment shader missing buffer binding at index 3 (_LightIndexBuffer / LightweightPipeline/Standard (Physically Based))

and also I don't get any material preview in the material viewport,

Anyone know why/what I can do to fix this?

I also am having issues with the normal map turning black when scaling up meshes when using the shader graph as well.

Attached Files:

20. CaptainScience

CaptainScience

I have also been interested in extending the SRP, and been experimenting a bit.

I am interested in running a compute shader prepass that runs before a mesh is rendered so my understanding would be that you would rely on OnBecameVisible/OnBecameInvisible to add/remove your custom component to the LightweightPipeline's beginFrameRendering callback. When you get a callback, you request the CommandBuffer from your custom pass class (which will get one from the CommandBufferPool each frame) and add all your custom drawing commands to that.

Then, in your custom LW pipeline class, you simply enqueue your custom pass and your Execute() function would call context.ExecuteCommandBuffer() on your command buffer and release it. I think the idea with the custom mini-passes is that everyone who wants to customize the rendering will write their own custom pipe and have an easy way to control which passes they are running and in what order. If someone wanted to use your custom gizmos, they would just queue up your custom gizmo pass in their pipeline wherever they wanted them to be drawn.

I am interested specifically in running some compute shaders before the opaque/transparent passes, but I think one would take the same approach adding any draw commands you wanted to the command buffer.

One stumbling block I have come across is accessing the per-object shader constants. These seem to be setup automatically by the engine in ScriptableRenderContext.DrawRenderers() based on the flags set in the RendererConfiguration parameter. If I want to access these in my own draw commands or compute shaders, it seems I have to calculate and set them myself. For the simple Object->World transform that is not too bad, but sorting and setting lights is slightly more complex. I would have to turn off the flags, and do all the light sorting manually to get consistent light behaviour.

Anyway, still experimenting and learning, but this is all looking pretty promising to me

syscrusher likes this.
  21. dienat

dienat

Tried adding Tonemapping but it didnt change anything. Actually no post effect does anything, tried the different post effects in the post effects script using a post effect profile and none changed anything. How can i make post effects have any effect with lw?

22. dienat

dienat

I get this error when i start a new project with lw template, if i create a normal 3D template i get no errors :

"An error occurred while resolving packages:
    Package com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight@2.0.3-preview has invalid dependencies:
    com.unity.render-pipelines.core: Version [2.0.3-preview] is incompatible with the selected version [2.0.0-preview]
    One or more packages could not be added to the local file system:
    com.unity.render-pipelines.core: Package [com.unity.render-pipelines.core@2.0.0-preview] cannot be found

A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of C:/Users//Documents/Posteffects/Packages/manifest.json file."

If i press continue i have the error show before and another one :

"Assembly has reference to non-existent assembly 'com.unity.render-pipelines.core.Runtime' (Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight/LWRP/com.unity.render-pipelines.lightweight.Runtime.asmdef)"

Reinstalled unity 2018.2.0f2 but didnt solve anything. In the project there is no Package manager in Window menu

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  23. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

This is where it's up to the creator of the SRP to make the hooks, right now the SRP API is pretty low level, so that it doesn't do stuff unless you tell it to, this includes things like camera callbacks, debug views, gizmo rendering, etc. This new pass system is in the same boat, you don't have to add it to an SRP if you don't need the functionality, so far we are adding it to LWRP because we feel it's an important part of this pipeline to be easily extensible, and because of the more simplistic nature of the base rendering it's much easier to make something that people can hook into and extend.
    It will be impossible for a single rendering asset on the asset store to be able to work with an unknown, for example, in both HDRP and LWRP we have added 'BeginFrameRendering' and 'BeginCameraRendering' but this API call isn't forced on anyone making a custom SRP so an asset that makes use of this isn't guaranteed to work on someones custom SRP, also theres no knowing what kind of renderer someone will make, what buffer layouts they might use, weather they even render depth, stencil or use unity lights.
    All we can do is provide some examples and guidelines, but the open nature of SRP is the best and trickiest thing about it, but for game developers the pros outweigh the cons, which is the ability to tailor the rendering to your specific needs without diving into C++ source code and custom Unity builds.

The previews missing seem like a bug, what version of LWRP do you have installed and are you up to date? as for the workflow options, they have been moved to the little 'gear' icon in the corner of the master node.

Haven't run into this myself(only when I break my own shaders) could you send a bug report in?

I would send a bug in for the Shadergraph team to look at, I'm not sure they are aware of such an issue.

This should be easily doable, the issue is of course the massive lack of documentation/examples we currently have.

Did you assign a layer mask for post and make sure the post volume is either on a collider or marked as global?

Seems like you have some issue in your manifest file(in the packages folder) I would try remove that and then grab LWRP again via the package manager window, which should return once it can compile and load the correct packages(also try deleting the project version.txt file inside the Library, there is a severe Package manger bug related to that file)

syscrusher likes this.
  24. CaptainScience

CaptainScience

Thanks, I'm looking forward to more examples and documentation. The specific part I am having trouble with is how one would set all the per-object shader constants in a compute shader pre-pass so that they are perfectly consistent with the constants set in the vertex/frag shaders. So an example of that would be awesome :)

25. syscrusher

syscrusher

Ouch. Thanks very much for the detail, but...ouch. You've confirmed something I was beginning to suspect to be the case.

I have been considering another approach to my asset requirement, which is to actually instantiate a real MeshRenderer component into the scene, with a procedurally-generated mesh, and let the user take responsibility for rendering. This is a lot less clean and tidy than what I'm doing now, but it may be the right way to handle SRP situations. I'd just have to clearly document to users that those MeshRenderer components are going to get procedurally updated if they change the parameters of my mesh generation (because I then procedurally replace the mesh). Potentially, this could improve performance in those situations where they're allowing my gizmos to be runtime-visible.

You've given me a lot to think about. Probably my next step will be a PoC prototype that I can test under the LWRP and HDRP reference implementations.

Again, thanks for the detailed comments. I'd rather have solid info that I need to rethink my approach, than missing info that leads me to think I'm headed down the right path and just need to wait for the code to mature.

26. mebalzer

mebalzer

I am testing the LWRP for Daydream and found that the single 'Realtime' spotlight light in the demo scene does not show up in the Daydream output, but it does if I turn off Daydream and only project it as standard mobile ES3.1 image. If I turn on 'Mixed' and bake it (with a 'Lightmap Resolution' of 128 & 'Lightmap Size' of 1024) I now have the shadows but of course not as sharp and non from dynamic characters). Is this something known and will be changed in future updates? (Note: I have tried the v.3.0 but only project a blurry light grey screen in one eye). Also, I cannot seem to find the parameters window you are showing in your example.

With spotlight in 'Realtime' mode
    Screenshot_20180718_112627.jpg
    With spotlight in 'Mixed' mode
    Screenshot_20180718_104501.jpg Screenshot_20180718_104349.jpg

P_Jong likes this.
  27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

First off, I'll just come clean and say I'm really happy the whole SRP thing is about game devs first and asset developers second, because this means performance and that should always matter more.

But having said that I'm very, very doubtful that most of your customers will ever deviate from LWRP or HDRP. This is because the same kind of people that go for asset store, are the same people who lack the time or knowhow to touch SRP.

This means you *only* need to make it sexy for: builtin, LW and HD. Anything else including custom stuff is not important. You can make that a bespoke thing that can be an optional package people can get dirty with. So the problem isn't as huge as it seems.

So your task is only porting to LW, and maybe HD, which is a pain I agree, but not so painful that you need to actually throw the baby out with the bathwater and worry about custom SRPs because most asset store users won't be caring about custom SRPs.

I guess it will become messy if asset store is filled with custom SRPs for sale, and frankly I think some form of a stand has to be made by asset developers.

Perhaps support LW+HD+Builtin only, and just provide a FAQ for custom, rather than support custom by default at horrific cost.

syscrusher likes this.
  28. syscrusher

syscrusher

I think you are probably right, at least in the short term. I'm a decent C# Unity programmer, but the render pipeline is a science unto itself, in the same way that one can be a great UI programmer without being a great network programmer. One challenge I face is that I never set out to be a graphics programmer, but had to enter that realm because the SRP made it part of procedural drawing. (I am not intending that as criticism of Unity or anyone else -- I realize there are great reasons for the SRP, and seeing the demos so far I think it's a good long-term feature. For me personally it introduced an unwanted complication...but I'm not so arrogant as to think no one else matters!)

The only exception I'd make to what you say is that I think some who are graphics programmers will see an opportunity to market custom rendering pipelines on the Asset Store. I hear your point about competing with the ones Unity already provides...but that may not stop some developers from doing so. Since the tool I've made isn't intended as a "graphics tool" in itself, what I want is to be "rendering neutral" and work with as many rendering variants as I can.

All that said, maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing. :) I do intend to try my PoC idea to see how it behaves. I've got the time since so far I have zero customer requests for compatibility, and I'm going to use this time to do my experimentation while I'm not under time pressure from paying customers. At worst case, I advance my own skills and learn some new 'this works" and "this doesn't work" scenarios, which is never a bad thing.

hippocoder likes this.
  29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I think the real problem won't be the people who do their own SRP, but those who buy random (and no doubt incredibly crappy) SRPs that pop up on asset store. I doubt Unity will place any real quality control on these at all.

That's the real danger for hard working asset authors, after all flexibility has to happen some way or another. It think it should be a case of asset store authors only guaranteeing compatibility with Unity, not other authors. That should take a lot of strain off.

syscrusher likes this.
  30. dienat

dienat

Thanks, it worked for a project with that problem but it still keeps happening when i create new projects, every time , i open Unity and press New project of type lightweight Unity shows me a panel saying the error i told you and project is broken once you open it, i dont want to make that fix you showed me every time i create a new project

31. dienat

dienat

Got to make it work with layermask and post volume, i was using post effect behaviour, documentation still points to this system

EDIT : What i dont get to work is the Ambient occlusion post effect, i change all values and stays the same. I notice in the pictures i showed before the one in builtin the wooden pillar in the right has much more detailed the shadows of the texture, how could i achieve that with lw?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  32. syscrusher

syscrusher

Of course that's the approach I'll have to take, absolutely. And my asset ships with full source code, so I'll just say "I support the Unity-provided pipelines and provide source so you can adapt to your custom pipeline."

33. MythrilMan51

MythrilMan51

34. mebalzer

mebalzer

I have confirmed that just changing out the included LWRP from 2.03 to 3.0 in the Package Manager, does not correct the realtime spotlight issue in Daydream and in fact does work at all now. I only get illumination in the left and at that only on light grey image with no content or movement when moving your head.

35. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

36. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So what is the status of the LWRP right now? I've been meaning to make a modified version of it (ripping out anything we don't use, which is a lot), but I've been waiting for it to stabilise a bit.

I've been checking it out from time to time, I have to say, it's becoming more complicated as time passes by, and it kinda worries me.

37. bitinn

bitinn

I have similar question like many, is 3.0.0-preview really ready for 2018.2? or 2.0.6-preview for that matter:

- The demo scene that comes with 2018.2 use 2.0.3-preview, and it's the only version of LWRP that work on Metal without immediate issue.

- Both 3.0.0-preview and 2.0.6-preview breakdown when I toggle scene view lighting off, I have opened fogbugz issue 1062911 as well as these 2 issue tickets.

I know a lot is changing and I don't mind breaking/reworking stuffs (otherwise I won't be here), but I think a pinned thread for all known reported issues and workarounds are needed (even if you will fix them soon, it's still worth documenting! no one can guarantee the next release is going to fix issue X, so the best way is to let users know X exists.)

(side note: I also hope the fogbugz reporting tool is better.)

38. HopelessHyena

HopelessHyena

@Andre_Mcgrail @Tim-C do you know if there is any plan to implement a suitable replacement for the standard tree shader(s) which are used in the tree creator? Currently, even if you run the converter to convert your old standard shader materials into LWRP/shader graph materials, your trees will remain magenta as there is no suitable replacement. There is a bundled replacement for terrain. Might a tree/leaves shader be on the way soon? Many thanks in advance.

39. mebalzer

mebalzer

I have the same issues with Google Daydream VR. I was hoping these updates would help with real-time light issue, but it actually is far worse with only light grey screen in the left eye. This was the case with 2.06 & 3.00.

40. bitinn

bitinn

Sorry to hear, though my issue is slightly different, I would suggest you submit a separate fogbugz ticket if you haven't.

For me, LWRP is pretty broken at this moment on Metal and macOS (in particular: standard shader for PBS).

Since SRP github issue tracker has been closed, I am just going to re-post my issue below, so people can find it:

You can see the PBS standard material for LWRP become invisible when lighting is off (eg. when using default camera lighting)

Note that while there is an SRP issue that look very similar to mine, and marked as fixed for 2018.2, my issue is different and I suspect either an oversight due to lack of QA or a regression beyond 2.0.3-preview.

41. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

1) Batching On && PostProcessing off 2) Batching off && PostProcessing on.
    Makes the FPS difference.

42. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

Sorry if I am being annoying, but I have several questions regarding LWRP before implementing it into our game.
    1 - Our game is primarely 2D in a retro style, but has a lot of 3D stuff in it, including full 3D sections. Because of that, we need a functionality similar to Pixel Perfect package. Pixel Perfect package in itself doesn't work on LWRP and it got confirmed that it wouldn't in the future, since there's going to be a dedicated 2D Render Pipeline (which is pretty much unnacceptable to us). As such, where in scripts LWRP sets its resolution and camera bounds?
    2 - Do I properly understand that there's no Grab Pass in LWRP, yes? Some of our effects (like color inversion, sine distortion and screen overlays) depend on it. What would be the best way to port them?

Of course we can stay on the legacy renderer, but it would honestly be a bit sad, staying there and not getting more performance and more features (especially from shadergraph)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  43. Immu

Immu

@Tim-C So sorry for bothering, but again, is directional light culling mask meant to work in LWRP ? If yes, what is the status of this feature that currently isn't working ?

Answer is still pending for all those threads. For some it's been for months :(
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/lig...8-1-after-lightweight-render-pipeline.529611/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/lwrp-directional-light-culling-mask-not-working.534441/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/feedback-wanted-scriptable-render-pipelines.470095/page-17

Furthermore I'm worrying because I see all strong issues I had on LWRP disappearing from the issue tracker for no explanation, for example:
    -https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/lwrp-directional-light-culling-masks-dont-work-properly
    is considered as a duplicate and redirects to
    -https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/lwrp-light-layer-culling-not-working
    which does not exist anymore.

But I also have those who disappeared:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-render-texture-causes-ugui-disappears-on-ios
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...nder-texture-gives-black-screen-only-on-build

My question is: where are they? We have no any visiblity on that anymore. And the lack of clarity is very frustrating :/

Thanks for your answer.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    reflectingb0t likes this.
  44. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

As in LWRP we do not store a DepthNormals texture(only a depth) we don't have the ability to use any of the current AO effects in the Post Processing, we have looked into a few options, but trying to find something that is efficient and doesn't look too 'Old School' is tricky, it's on our list but lower on the priority right now.

Looking at the error message you have there you don't seem to have a SRP loaded, if using the Shadergraph you need to use either LWRP, HDRP or a custom one. If you have pulled a SRP into your project via package manager then also make sure to create a new render pipeline asset via the project windows 'Create/Rendering/Lightweight Pipeline Asset' then assign this asset in the Graphics Settings.

Looking at that thread it looks as though it hasn't been updated fully to work with even the builtin pipeline so chances for LWRP to work is slim, but if it works with builtin in 2018.1/2 then it will work with LWRP as we don't handle light mapping any differently(aside from the missing mixed mode support currently)

So we are currently stabilising the API now, we are also working on the pluggable renderers and pass injection, these two things will make modifying the pipeline much, much easier, for example in the BoatDemo I'm working on, I easily removed a camera that was rendering just some water FX objects into a render texture, now it happens builtin to LWRP, this means it's just part of the pipeline, no extra culling or setup, I'm planning on also porting over the planar reflections to see the speedups we can gain there. It's so far a very nice system.
    But yes, the API will be changing a fair bit for the rest of the year while we refine it to be what we think is a nice base to then go forwards with.

I've been using 3.0.0 on OSX Metal primarily, also iOS and Android with a mix of VR, things have been going fine, in saying that end of last week the HDRP team pushed code to the SRP repo that now makes 3.x.x only work in 18.3, as the SRPs are in preview we don't plan to back port so hopefully we will release the 18.3 beta soon.

I agree with this, but right now if you cannot see it on the public tracker then it hasn't been submitted. I just looked at your scene lighting bug and see it hasn't been through our first pass, I'll make sure it's added to our LWRP project.

We are working on it, there are a few terrain changes happening, first is getting the new GPU instanced terrain working, then updating the tree shaders, I cannot give you an ETA as we are doing a large push on documentation and to lock down the API so that we won't break anything people decide to start adding to LWRP.

I haven't got a daydream capable device on hand but will look into this with the XR team, I have recently tested on the Oculus GO and basic scenes are working, though once using more advanced setups I am getting no rendering at all. If you haven't done so already try building up from a simpler set of features to see where you are encountering issues, big things to look out for doing VR with LWRP right now is, no MSAA, no PostFX, make sure only 1 directional light in the scene and disable all shadows on additional lights.

This is a regression due to a major refactor recently, we are working on a much more solid test automation setup right now which will stop these issues from reappearing.

HopelessHyena, bitinn and AcidArrow like this.
  45. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

No, it has not been implemented yet, it is on the list but not planned on the roadmap.

Thanks for bringing this up, internally we have shifted all package bugs to a separate grouping, this seems to have disabled their public tracking, looking into this now.

46. MythrilMan51

MythrilMan51

Oh... That? Old news.... But if I were, to say, make light lighting a lot more interesting.... What shader would THAT be to edit our forward lighting... I KNOW it would be in the LWRP folder, but what shader?

47. monoRAIL

monoRAIL

Shadows in LWRP do not work properly in large scenes.

Objects far from the origin stop casting shadows, even if the directional light and camera are near the object. Extending the LightWeightAsset's Directional Shadow distance can increase the shadow render distance, but the resulting shadows become very blurry. The Distance setting should be relative to the camera, not relative to the world origin.

48. Andre_Mcgrail

Andre_Mcgrail

Unity Technologies

Cascade shadows are unfortunately broken currently, for now as a workaround turn off cascades on the LWRP Asset.

Sorry I don't quite understand what you are asking here, are you wanting to do custom lighting in a shader?

monoRAIL likes this.
  49. MythrilMan51

MythrilMan51

Yeah.... To edit it... To make it more interesting... What script ACTUALLY produces the lighting we see with lightweight?

50. bitinn

bitinn

Thx for all your answers, but I find this part confusing:

Are you saying LWRP-2.x and 3.x are not 2 different branch? Will we need to move onto 2018.3 for a better version of LWRP?

(EDIT: "Better" = "Suitable for production", not necessarily more features)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.