Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: Lightweight Render Pipeline

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, Feb 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MythrilMan51

MythrilMan51

Now where was I? Advocating for custom Lens flare and Deffer-... I mean Forward shaders for Unity's LWRP.

2. xipeluife

xipeluife

I have a question regarding transparency sorting. I'm making a 2D game where sprites further along the Y axis should be drawn first. I achieved this easily with Unity's default renderer via the transparency sort axis in the graphic settings. Can this still be achieved using LWRP? If so, can you help me please? I would love to understand more on this new graphics workflow, keep up the good work!

3. hot-knife-digital

hot-knife-digital

Hi - Should the LWRP would with Microsoft Acer Mixed reality headsets - just rendering black at the moment ? Headset is tracking.

4. Tendro

Tendro

Using the Lightweight Render Pipeline the SortingGroup script (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SortingGroup.html) doesn't seem to work anymore and my sprites overlap again. Everything works fine when switching back to my old render settings. Is it possible to fix this on my end or am I just not able to use the default LRP?

GuillaumeCL and NicTda like this.
  5. CaptainScience

CaptainScience

I've been experimenting with the LWRP a bit lately, and I do have a bit of a technical question.

Is there anyway to run a compute shader on the vertex data for each renderer before sending them to the command buffer? Ideally in "RenderOpaques" and "RenderTransparents" right before "context.DrawRenderers(...)" when all the shader constants for the lights and camera are properly set. I would like to iterate through each renderer in cullResults, assign the vertex and index buffers to a compute shader, and dispatch those right before the DrawRenderers call. I can get the visibleRenderers as a "FilterResult" but there is no documented API for it.

The reason I'd like to do this is because I've been experimenting with a fairly significant rendering optimization that needs access to all three vertices of a single triangle at once. I have a proof-of-concept working with the built-in pipeline and a geometry shader. It's not ideal because there is significant overhead for just a pass-through geometry shader (on Oculus Go I've seen a 60fps+ shader tank to ~45fps). And with a geometry shader I can't seem to avoid some work duplication between triangles that share a line segment and wasted vertex interpolators passing forward values that are constant for a whole triangle. With a compute shader I should be able to only do the necessary work once and pass it in a buffer directly to the fragment shader.

The general consensus on geometry shaders seem to be "don't unless you absolutely have to", but I am stuck with one because the quality and efficiency gains seem to be worth the overhead. I am hoping that with the LWRP I will be able to ditch the overhead and keep the gains.

Is that going to be possible with the LWRP? I am okay with modifying the renderer code if I have to, but a built-in hook to a compute shader that operates on vertex data before sending it to be rendered would be ideal. And that could be a feature general enough to be useful for a lot of people.

6. Pr0x1d

Pr0x1d

LWRP 2.0.4 shadows only on zero location, Editor, Game window and Build

Today I have been testing new betas and finally tried shader graph new feature position.

From start I though it was only editor bug, but later I found out that the problem remains in run-time aswell as in builded game.

Editor Screenshot:

Build Screenshot:

It is even based on height, I dont know why the shadow mask is rendered only on position 0,0,0 thats why I am here. On screenshot you can see I tried making new scene but that didnt helped at all. Even tried new project but didnt helped.

tossrock likes this.
  7. Felix_Wang_

Felix_Wang_

Hi there,
    We've developed our own pipeline and we use speed tree as well. We replace the pixel shader of the default speed tree shader to make the lighting right and keep the default vertex shader unchanged. But what's weird is that the wind seems to stop working. What's weirder is that in play mode if I open the scene view as well, typing anything in the search box in the Hierarchy, the wind works perfectly. The same thing happens in LWRP. So how can I make the wind work properly under SRP.

8. Laurens-Paladin-Studios

Laurens-Paladin-Studios

Hi there,

I have two questions:
    • Is there a place where I can read up on the changes that have been made for the LWRP update. Currently I can update from 1.1.10 to 1.1.11, but there is no changelog when I click the "view changes" link.
    • How do I set a variable through a script, for example: I have a custom color parameter called "Tint" in the shader graph, how will this paramater be called in the compiled shader code?
    edit: I found the paramaters, it's obvious that they are called by a generated name, are there plans to make this more accessible?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  9. JelmerV

JelmerV

What is the future of the standard render pipeline?
    I want to make hi-end mobile graphics, but feel Unity is taking a different route by only supporting the lightweight pipeline on mobile. Now I have to choose between the standard pipeline (which is missing features like shader graph) and the lightweight pipeline (lower graphics quality afaik), because the HDRP is not available for mobile right? Or am I missing something here?

My goal is to built hi end AR apps for high end phones.. :) (example) and TBH the standard Unity material doesn't do so well on mobile in the first place (specular highlights is buggy!!), so I really hope the LWRP is not a step down from that..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  10. francois85

francois85

Been using the shadergraph for a couple of weeks, really love the concept but it really buggy. I constantly have to quite Unity because a node will lock onto my curser stopping me from doing anything. I cant even close the graph because the node is dragged with my curser :(

11. harperAtustwo

harperAtustwo

I started experimenting with this so I could play with Shader Graph. An issue that I am having is that I am currently trying to use it in an AR project. Everything works but the camera feed is black. Is there a SRP version of this shader ? https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technol...hader?at=default&fileviewer=file-view-default It is used by the UnityARVideo class like so.
    Code (CSharp):
    2.         public void OnPreRender()
    3.         {
    5.             if (!bCommandBufferInitialized) {
    6.                 InitializeCommandBuffer ();
    7.             }
    9.             m_ClearMaterial.SetTexture("_textureY", _videoTextureY);
    10.             m_ClearMaterial.SetTexture("_textureCbCr", _videoTextureCbCr);
    12.             m_ClearMaterial.SetMatrix("_DisplayTransform", _displayTransform);
    13.         }

12. nepoez

nepoez

I modified a project that uses all mobile-diffuse materials to the LWRP's basic material, changed the mode to linear color space. The project used to run OK on a low end mobile device now it became very low FPS. Is this expected?

13. TsvetanTsankov

TsvetanTsankov

Hello, I am just wondering, is there still a problem with Anti Aliasing && LWRP + VR for Android, and if so, should we be expecting a solution soon or sooner?

Thanks

14. CaptainScience

CaptainScience

Seems like MSAA is disabled even for the editor as of 2.0.4 but I assume it will be back soon-ish. I noticed that in 2.0.3 there was some strange interaction with MSAA and the opaque texture (LWRP's answer to grabpass) so it may be related to that. Specifically to mobile VR there is an engine side issue with MSAA and texture2DArrays.

And, no, you shouldn't be expecting a solution soon. So then if we get one, it will be a happy surprise :)

TsvetanTsankov likes this.
  15. CaptainScience

CaptainScience

And speaking of happy surprises I noticed this in the newest Beta release notes:

TsvetanTsankov likes this.
  16. Prodigga

Prodigga

Seems like Render Scale doesn't work on builds. It just crashes immediately if I set the RenderScale to anything other than 1.
    • Pixel XL
    • Android
    • Vulkan/OpenGL3 (Tried both)
    • Unity 2018.2.0b10
    • LWRP 2.0.4

17. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Hey guys, I'm interesting in collecting feedback from you in terms of Shader api and C# for LWRP. We are pushing to stabilize these API and your feedback is very important. If you could be on latest package 2.0.4-preview and share your pain points in terms of using/extending LWRP and also when writing custom shaders it would be marvel.

It can be anything here, naming, API usage

18. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

Fantastic, I will get onthis over weekend! Been holding off doing some custom shaders for LWRP because of how "in transit" the code was release to release. Are there some kind of documentation for writing custom master nodes for shdarer graph now?

Are there documentation for how to write shaders for LWRP without shadergraph? Its hard to find what everything was renamed / moved to etc from old pipeline and thgat took long enough for me to get comforatble with! Any help onthis would be great, even if theres no documents just pointing me in direction of right info will do!

19. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

I've tested on my device with the template scene and couldn't reproduce it. Could you report this in the issue tracker. This way our QA would help figuring out how to repro this.

20. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure if we have. I'm poking around atm.

We are working on writing docs now and this is why stabilization is important here. I can provide a template for a LWRP shader and some high overview points on it.

Check this shader template before reading below! :D
    Hopefully this will help/provide some guidance here. Please let me know your comments.

1. There’s a new SubShader tag that must be defined. “SubShader” = “LightweightPipeline”.

1. Define a lit pass to shade light on objects

1. LightMode tag must be set to “LightweightForward”.

2. SRP shader library is in hlsl. Wrap your pass in HSLSPROGRAM/ENDHLSL

3. Define required LWRP multi_compile keyword. You may exclude the ones you don’t need. E.g if your shader doesn’t support shadows you can exclude all SHADOWS_* multi_compile

4. Include required files:

1. LWRP/ShaderLibrary/Core.hlsl

1. This includes LWRP core functions not related to lighting.

1. Object space conversion for position and vectors

1. For converstions between object -> view space -> clip space and vice-versa
            2. Texture Unpacking functions

3. Fog
          2. It includes LWRP Constant Buffers

1. Per camera matrices (UNITY_MATRIX_VP, and so on)

2. Light constants (

3. Per camera constants

4. Unity per object constants (UNITY_MATRIX_M, Time constants, SH, _ProjectionParams, _ZBufferParams, unity_OrthoParams)
        2. LWRP/ShaderLibrary/Lighting.hlsl

1. This includes LWRP lighting functions

2. This include functions to initialize a Light struct that contains all data to perform lighting

3. Functions to Sample Lightmap, SH, BRDF definitions, Compute direct light contribution.

4. This will also include headers for shadows and IBL.
        3. You must define a ConstantBuffer names UnityPerMaterial for all your material properties. LWRP doesn’t provide you with any material constants like _MainTex, _MainTex_ST etc.

1. The reason of this is that we have a new batcher that cache the material Constant Buffer across many frames. This reduces the cost of each draw call setup significantly.

2. If you have the same material description of LWRP standard material then you can include “LWRP/ShaderLibrary/InputSurfacePBR.hlsl”
    2. How lighting works in LWRP:

1. We shader 1 directional light (main light) + k local lights in a single pass

2. We are going to shade additinal directional light in separate passes (WIP)

3. Directional and local lights use different set of constants for performance reasons

4. We provide functions to initialize a Light struct. This Light struct contains all data you need for shading so you don’t have to deal with light constants.

5. Initializing Main Light:

1. Light mainLight = GetMainLight();

2. If you want shadows:

1. mainLight.attenuation = MainLightRealtimeShadowAttenuation(IN.shadowCoord);

1. Initializing Local Light i:

1. Light light = GetLight(i, positionWS);

2. If you want shadows:

1. light.attenuation *= LocalLightRealtimeShadowAttenuation(light.index, positionWS);

1. Sampling Global Illumination:

1. SampleLightmap(IN.lightmapUV, normalWS)

2. SampleSH(normalWS)
      2. Computing Environment Lighting:

1. Globalllumination(brdfData, bakedGI, occlusion, normalWS, viewDir)
      3. Computing Direct Lighting

1. LightingPhysicallyBased(brdfData, light, normalWS, viewDir)
      4. Computing Fog (Fog uses the same builtin constants as builtin pipeline)

1. ComputeFogFactor(clipPosition.z)

2. ApplyFog(color, fogFactor)
    1. Additional Passes:

1. You can reuse passes from Standard LWRP shader with the UsePass

2. ShadowCaster Pass

1. Renders shadowmap

2. UsePass "LightweightPipeline/Standard (Physically Based)/ShadowCaster"
      3. DepthOnly Pass

1. Render depth prepass used in some situations

2. UsePass "LightweightPipeline/Standard (Physically Based)/DepthOnly"
      4. Meta Pass

1. Used by the lightmapper to bake Global Illumination

2. UsePass "LightweightPipeline/Standard (Physically Based)/Meta"
    This pass is stripped from build.

21. purnaprakash

purnaprakash

I am using Unity 2018.1.3 and latest lightweight pipeline package. I have various models placed on top of each other in the scene. All models are set to transparent and using PBR variant of shader. Even if I am decreasing Alpha of the model placed on top, the models placed below it are not visible unless I disable the model on top. Even decreasing alpha of top level model to zero doesn't have any effect. I am trying to achieve fade-in/fade-out effect using alpha which is not making any sense due to this bug. Please Help.

22. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Extending LWRP

Over the past week we have been prototyping how to make LWRP more extensible and future proof and we want feedback on if you feel this will work for you. Some context, with SRP we want things to be much more explicit in terms of use. Looking at 'old unity' rendering many things were injected or happened via callbacks; this leads to a number of potential issues, things like 'I have two plugins installed which order do they execute in' and 'How can we track frame resources to keep allocated memory to a minimum'.

These questions led us to look at where we want the architecture to evolve to and what we really want is to get to is a frame graph architecture where there is high quality resource tracking and automatic memory aliasing and similar.... so with that in mind... how should a LWRP be designed and written so that out of the box it does what we want, but also allow for injection of game / add on specific features?

Pass Architecture
    What we have done is broken down all of LWRP into a number of passes. These can be put together to perform rendering, they can be extended for custom rendering, or a new specific pass can be written for specific things.

The current list of passes are:
    Code (csharp):
    2. private DepthOnlyPass m_DepthOnlyPass;
    3. private DirectionalShadowsPass m_DirectionalShadowPass;
    4. private LocalShadowsPass m_LocalShadowPass;
    5. private SetupForwardRendering m_SetupForwardRendering;
    6. private ScreenSpaceShadowResolvePass m_ScreenSpaceShadowResovePass;
    7. private ConfigureForwardRTs m_ConfigureForwardRTs;
    8. private BeginXRRendering m_BeginXrRendering;
    9. private RenderOpaqueForward m_RenderOpaqueForward;
    10. private OpaquePostProcessPass m_OpaquePostProcessPass;
    11. private CopyDepthPass m_CopyDepthPass;
    12. private CopyColorPass m_CopyColorPass;
    13. private RenderTransparentForward m_RenderTransparentForward;
    14. private TransparentPostProcessPass m_TransparentPostProcessPass;
    15. private FinalBlitPass m_FinalBlitPass;
    16. private EndXRRendering m_EndXrRendering;
    If you take a look at how things like existing water rendering work in unity normally it is done by using a second camera and issuing a render call from within the rendering of the first camera. This isn't the best workflow. With the pass architecture what you would do is insert a pass that would generate the water reflection texture for you.

The prototype LWRP implementation for passes can be seen here:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...pelines.lightweight/LWRP/DefaultLWRenderer.cs

Custom LWRP
    So you want to write a custom version of LWRP for you project? You can! And you can even do it per Camera!

https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...rojects/LWGraphicsTest/Assets/CustomLWPipe.cs

Any type of custom pass / feature can be integrated into LWRP using a similar technique. You can add special rendering steps (ECS instance rendering on top of LWRP), water rendering, reflection rendering, deferred rendering, extra passes and similar in this way. This IS a change from older unity where callbacks and similar can just inject rendering steps arbitrarily, but writing / modifying a user script means that as a game developer or asset maker you have explicit control on ordering and execution. It provides a much cleaner path forward!

syscrusher likes this.
  23. Prodigga

Prodigga

Sounds awesome! I started digging through the code on github and it is a little dizzying, there is a lot of things to consider! It would be cool to see a graph that shows a breakdown of a frame - where this new pass architecture fits in, how it interplays with the post processing stack, etc. Essentially one of these but for rendering. ie It could show where the rendering starts per camera, at what point it loops back around to render other cameras, same with post processing stack and how it iterates through the layers in the stack.

Also, I couldn't replicate the render scale crash bug, it just works now. *shrug*

Edit: Wait, it's back.. I did a build this morning and all was fine, did a built again just now and it crashes on startup if I dont have the value at 1. Aaah. Logcat does not provide any useful information.

Here is the logs at the time of crash, the backtrace part was empty:
    https://gist.github.com/prodigga/9ac9a9f2285b4a74dd1fbd700169b245

Here is logs from a Mono build, the IL2CPP build was missing the backtrace, and this time there seems to be more details too:
    https://gist.github.com/prodigga/008e734ac2d7091de7d96d388021b662

Definitely sounds rendering related? Crash around "CreateColorRenderSurfacePlatform" ?

Here is the crash with Vulkan: (The above two are OpenGL3)

https://gist.github.com/prodigga/ba47a7d1e740abf9c9ef7e72abb68ddd

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  24. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

This was literally the most amazing, detailed official reply I have ever had on the unity forums. Thank you so much. This has basically answered my main questions regarding custom shader authoring in the new SRP that I have had for months! Will be delving into this over this week and weekend and will give as much feedback regarding current API as possible!

Thank you again!

phil_lira likes this.
  25. Prodigga

Prodigga

You mentioned in your gist that the example doesn't match the performance of the shadergraph generated shader? What is the missing secret sauce? Curious, as shadergraph isn't mature enough yet for us to adopt so we use amplify and we use custom templates with amplify. It means have to write our LWRP shader template by hand.

26. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

We have different interpolator packing. One of the things is that we completely remove positionWS interpolator if we don't have local lights to be shaded. Also, in mobile we compute some SH terms in vertex and some other things like this.

The plan is to expose shader quality in the pipeline asset. { low, mid, high }. Then we can some guided decisions on what to do and you devs can have multiple assets for each quality you want.

27. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback on the docs. I've just poked our tech writer about it. We probably want a flowchart here describing the default renderer setup.

About the crash I think the right approach here is to open a ticket and upload your project. even if it's not 100% reproducible we can get further additional info by our QA triage to sort out what's happening, if this is a regression, specific to some platforms and so on.

28. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Are you using the Standard (Physically Based) lwrp shader? If so, all that you needed to do is to set SurfaceType to transparent and Blending Mode to alpha.

29. lego082

lego082

I am using the LWRP for Shader Graph to work, and it does. However when I use SteamVR as soon as I start the game the view turns black both on screen and on the vive. I can use the Vive with standard graphic rendering but Shader Graph isnt supported that way. Should the Vive (VR) work with LWRP in general? (/How?) What Ive read about this yet seems a bit contradicting.

thanks, jannis

30. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Vive should work on LWRP. What version of LWRP and Unity are you using? Do you have the same behavior with the LWRP VR template?

31. lego082

lego082

I am using Unity 2018.1.6f1 and LWRP 1.1.11. There is no LWRP VR in the Package Manager. How can I access this?

32. MythrilMan51

MythrilMan51

upload_2018-7-10_17-36-42.png AND package manager's missing... and the hell's this?

33. nepoez

nepoez

Has anyone else tried converting an existing project to use LWRP and get real bad performance on low end mobile devices?

34. Tonieh085

Tonieh085

You need to modify the pipeline asset, the performance it's similar for me

35. Tonieh085

Tonieh085

The LWRP its greate!!, but I have a problem with the VR, when I enable it the screen looks black, I just see the cardboard outlines.
    I'm using 2018.2 and LWRP 2.0.4

36. nepoez

nepoez

I modified it to only 1 pixel light and no shadow and no anti-alias, then it seems to perform exactly the same as using mobile vertex lit or mobile diffuse shaders on a low end mobile device. Except there's glitchy stuff so there's no point in using LWRP for real low end devices.

37. Tonieh085

Tonieh085

Hmm that's weird... in my case the performance is little worst, but almost equal to the normal render pipeline.
    I use the LWRP because I love the shader graph haha

38. MythrilMan51

MythrilMan51

upload_2018-7-11_17-25-4.png Anyone know any fixes?

39. nepoez

nepoez

Actually you are right. Lwrp performance is not as good as the normal. I never tried shader graph tho I'm just beginner.

40. melting_pot

melting_pot

Any update on this? Still seems to be an issue in 2018.2.0f2 with LWRP 2.0.5

41. Liens

Liens

Did anyone find the solution for this issue?
    I'm having a similar issue after upgrading from 2018.1 to 2018.2 in LWRP 2.0.5

Though I don't think mine has anything to do with ShaderGraph.

All shadow cascades are only calculated from position 0,0,0 so if I shift any object more than a few meters away from 0,0,0 it no longer has any shadows because it's been shifted to the lowest cascade of shadows.
    IE: The cascades do not calculate (follow the camera) as they should, they only calculate from position 0,0,0

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  42. Pr0x1d

Pr0x1d

Only solution I found was going to older LWRP version

43. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Feel free to send a bug report, only takes a minute.Unity fixes things fast here because updates go via package manager.

44. legoblaster1234

legoblaster1234

I've found a bug with the lwrp:
    When compiling for android, layered cameras don't work as intended. One camera works fine. A second camera set to only render one layer with it's depth set higher than the last screws the entire thing up though.

What it should look like, and does in the unity editor:
    Capture.PNG

What it looks like when compiled for android:
    Screenshot_20180714-002524.png
    This is actually really annoying and I don't really know how to fix it. I don't have any post-processing or anything and have tested this in a controlled, empty scene as well and have gotten the same result.

45. RyanJEC

RyanJEC

Scene grid isn't working with LWRP 2.0.5-preview in 2018.2.0f2

Can we get a quick fix pushed out, Thanks

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    ThierryLemt27 likes this.
  46. ThierryLemt27

ThierryLemt27

I have the same problem than RyanJEC.
    And I don't have a preview of the material when I'm using the shader graph. I can't even set my material as transparent. In the scene view, I can't see the shader effect on the objects except if I zoom a lot and still...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  47. daveinpublic

daveinpublic

Yes, please work on projectors!

lodendsg and MythrilMan51 like this.
  48. MythrilMan51

MythrilMan51

Same here

lodendsg likes this.
  49. syscrusher

syscrusher

I have a really simple (conceptually, at least) problem with the C# API: My asset uses Graphics.DrawMeshNow() to render procedurally-generated gizmos, mostly in the Scene View but also on a temporary basis for debugging during game mode at the option of the developer. It's not clear to me from the documentation how to accomplish the equivalent under LWRP or HDRP. Is this even possible with SRP, short of writing my own pipeline?

My suspicion is that this is something you've addressed in the API, and maybe it's just not documented yet, or else I'm not seeing it, but if it's actually a missing API functionality, then this may cause problems for a lot of asset developers who use procedural draw calls for custom gizmos and such.

50. dienat

dienat

i would like to know if there is a way to change the Book of the dead project to lightweight. In the Book of the dead forum they told me "Actually.. turns out LW Standard decided to not support detail textures out of the box. So the good news is that you probably don't have to convert any textures (but the bad news is that you won't have any detail textures). You could use ShaderGraph to add detail texture support, in which case you might as well mimic the HDRP channel layout. Exact details of how to best go about using LW is probably best discussed in the LW forum, though."
    But dont know what is he talking about, what is the hdrp channel layout and how can i make something like that for lwrp?
    I tried to change hdrp shaders to lwrp but they miss some things, textures that hdrp shaders have that i dont know where should fit in th lwrp, the albedo and normal is obvious but other textures dont know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.