Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: Lightweight Render Pipeline

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, Feb 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KYL3R

KYL3R

Some additional info, I found out checking/unchecking "Specular" toggles transparency, shadows not affected sadly.

Note: Specular is checked, cutoff sliders does nothing.
    feedback2.PNG

Note: The trees have correct cutout transparency (not really visible on the selected one, but the others)
    feedback22.PNG

dgdff likes this.
  2. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@Tim-C Wait, what is LWRP_VR Template? what VR platform it is supported? Console? PC? Mobile?

3. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Cybexx likes this.
  4. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

@KYL3R Thanks for submitting the bug. I'll take a look at it.

5. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

@KYL3R I've just opened the project. It just contains a screen shot and a couple of planes. Maybe you forgot to pack the assets. The scene does have quite a lot of missing prefabs.

6. KYL3R

KYL3R

Do I need to specify it? I did "Help -> Bug Report" and didn't change the attatched stuff. It said "folder" or something. I'll take a look later.

Edit: Just uploaded a new Bug Report with a .zip attatched, including both Projects. I hope it works this time

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  7. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Hey @KYL3R, I've tested with the latest pipeline version we have and I can confirm the alpha clip issue is fixed. In the inspector now there's a toogle for alpha clip. Just make sure to set it on.

I've fixed a shadow regression as well. Not sure if the fix for the shadow is going on the next package though as we are in the process of generating a new one today.

As for the UI I couldn't test it. I coudn't find the UI in your project.

8. KYL3R

KYL3R

Thanks a lot!

UI - I didn't put it in there, if I can reproduce again in newest version, I'll report back.

Clipping - I just saw it's only happening in portrait mode, not in landscape for some reason. But if you managed to fix it I'm super happy! Looking forward to the progress of LWRP :)

9. Giles-Coope

Giles-Coope

I get some unexpected behaviour on Android, I have multiple cameras set up for UI, and the game world. The UI camera is set in code to not use a colour to clear the screen

cam.clearFlags = CameraClearFlags.Depth;

however the screen is still cleared with the background colour of the camera, covering the game.

10. Cybexx

Cybexx

Upgraded our project to the 1.1.1-preview and found that the shadows were still broken when rendered to stereo with a VR headset but they were fine in the tiny sample project I was using for debugging. Shadows seemed less broken than before the XR updated, as if they were just offset wrong for each eye. After some investigating it turns out that if Render Scale is set to anything but 1.0 the shadow mapping is off and inconsistent between eyes.

LWRP_Shadow_.RenderScale.gif

I have submitted a bug report https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1011256_qpjta12588ps6duh

11. Stardog

Stardog

Agreed. It seems to kill WebGL games or others that need to "look good, but not that good". And if you want to do an easy mobile port at some point.

Ideally, we'd also get a mid-range pipeline that's more like the built-in. That means supports many lights in deferred, but doesn't require much more than the standard shader. Supports Distance Shadowmask, etc. Something like Xbox 360/Switch graphics level.

HD Pipeline won't even support WebGL, and WebGL will now be worse on LW based off this comparison.

Also, the naming is bad. HD will be a meaningless term 3 years from now, if not already.

Edit: The new Post Processing stack is also lacking features for non compute shader platforms. Depth of Field, SSR, SSAO (no ambient-only) all worked in the previous stack, but now don't.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/new-post-processing-stack-pre-release.435581/page-18#post-3480353

Unity's support for mid-range has gone down the toilet.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Shorely and GenaSG like this.
  12. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Just curious, why do you think LW are killing webGL in term of quality? realtime light count?

13. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Your both not counting that:

A) it is not released yet
    B) when it is released, more SRP will be made by the community. So this will be possible.

14. Giles-Coope

Giles-Coope

Is anyone else seeing this?

It's easy to reproduce in the Lightweight SRP (Preview) Template on 2018.1.b10. Simply add another camera, change the clear flags to "Don't Clear" and point it at the scene. When run in the editor or in a Windows build you will see the scene rendered twice overlapping, however when run on Android you will only see the scene rendered from the second camera as it still clears the colour buffer.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  15. Stardog

Stardog

Yes, limited to 8 pixel lights, no baked indirect, distance shadowmask (it says WIP for shadowmask, so maybe that includes distance). And some image effects probably don't support forward. WebGL supports these right now with built-in.

Baked Indirect example.
    Distance Shadowmask example.

But it seems like any HD WebGL support is miles off because the WebGL API itself doesn't even support most of it, which would be fine if we had a mid-weight deferred pipeline. And I doubt a perfect community pipeline will just appear out of nowhere.

16. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

You still miss the point. It is not out yet. People, please complain once its actually finished at least? Give the developers a break! Your complaining and you dont even know all the details. Is there finished docs? Finshed marketing? Proper announcements? Full f release? then no point making X assumption based on a beta

17. Stardog

Stardog

Well they need poked by people like me from time to time. They already f'ed up integrating ProBuilder, so I will be posting my thoughts more often.

Shorely likes this.
  18. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

You can just fork the SRP repo and create your own pipeline.

19. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Im curious; how do you think that the integration of ProBuilder was f'ed up?

20. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I agree needs clarification, this seems like a statement without any context.

They bought probuilder and polybrush and grids, saving an average user around £200 and adding proper whitebox tools as well as sculpting + vertex painting.

Combine that with the autodesk fbx importer exporter and you have amazing workflow.

Credit due where credits due.

hugokostic likes this.
  21. elbows

elbows

The following link labelled #4 goes to a post that probably yields the answer. I get the idea the complaint is that ProBuilder was chosen to be integrated at all, and the various things that ProBuilder doesnt do yet, so I doubt there is much purpose discussing it here.

22. Stardog

Stardog

Yeah, basically. It's a bad tool for level layout. It's going to create a thousand support threads in the graphics forums where I am mostly ("try welding the vertices") haha. It's like choosing Wordpress as your CMS just because it's popular.

23. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

@Giles-Coope That's a bug. I'll take a look at it.

Giles-Coope likes this.
  24. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I mean I have read what you said, and it reads to me like because you have probuilder already and dont like it, noone else should have it for free? Which seems nonsensical because: If it is not worth paying for due to being outdated and making X models and X problems, more reason it should become free.

Likewise if optimization is a problem, well a giant company now owns it instead of a small indie company.

It still reads to me like someone complaining about free features. Sure they may not be 100% how you want them, but they are free and not everyone is in same boat or even has same use cases.

You said optimization of models is an issue, but have you considered that many people use the geometry as discardable and only use it for whiteboxing? If your using them directly in games, then yes you will have issues as its not billed as a modelling program, but a whitebox and level layout tool.

Combine it with autodesk FBX round trip linked prefab and its amazing. Build your base in unity sized correctly, bring into external app, create model or just retopo/cleanup, then direct back to the prefab with no issues on git etc.

25. Stardog

Stardog

So we shouldn't complain about the terrain system? That makes no sense. The solution would be to integrate 2/3 more modelling assets.

That's actually my point. Beginners will be making entire levels with this, when it's only really for prototyping. It will be hard for them to optimise for lightmapping due to overlapping faces, etc. They already have 1000 issues with lightmapping, so 1001 won't hurt.

But, anyway, this is off topic.

26. beinteractive

beinteractive

I installed Unity 2018.1.0b10 & Render-pipelines.lightweight 1.1.1-preview (from Package Manager).

Then, simply created new scene and placed a default cube and a default plane.
    As a result, I got strange dark lines in view.

I guess it depends on Screen Space Shadow.

Is this bug? or Is there any settings to avoid this?

27. beinteractive

beinteractive

And I have another question:

Does LWRP support Ambient Occlusion in Post-Processing Stack v2?

Currently, It seems only HDRP supports AO.
    If AO is not supported, WHY?

28. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

No but you shouldnt complain about any NEW terrain assets that are free and aquired. Your argument still reads as complaining about a free extra .

29. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

can't we just get back on LWRP topic please?

30. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Sure, on topic of LWRP, has anyone made any custom master nodes yet? I am working on a SSS one, interested what else has been tried?

31. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

WagDan likes this.
  32. beinteractive

beinteractive

visose and Shorely like this.
  33. DGordon

DGordon

I already posted this (to no answer) in another thread when this was announced, but my fear is that its going to decrease funding and initiative for future features in Probuilder. I own all of their stuff already, and to be honest, I don't really care if it saves users some money, but rather, does Unity's actual capabilities go up or down. My question was if this means ProBuilder will increase the rate at which they add new features and continue expanding, or if it means that they will basically just keep the existing product stable from here out. I will be honest, I have seen other products purchased by Unity only to have their active development become next to non-existant. I was even told by one dev after it was purchased that he was no longer paid to implement new features, just make sure it was still working.

So I would say without a very clear roadmap of what Probuilder will be doing from here forward compared to what they would most likely have been doing otherwise ... it is in no way an assured good thing for Unity outside of marketing.

I'm with everyone else hoping that the Unity acquisition stuff isn't just a marketing ploy, but I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that was purchased by Unity and actually became better -- just less money.

Shorely and deus0 like this.
  34. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

I could not reproduce this. Seems it got fixed already and will be available in the next package (1.1.2-preview). You can tweak that by adjusting the shadow bias and normal bias value in the light.

35. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

No. Only MSVO is supported in the Post-Processing Stack v2 and that requires compute. As a design decision Lightweight doesn't support anything that depends on compute.

We are looking into support a custom AO postfx for Lightweight.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  36. Karearea

Karearea

I see the same shadow error in Metal- OpenGLCore is fine in the editor. If I build with OpenGLCore as the only graphics API for Mac standalone, the build completes and the built file does run, but immediately crashes. I'm on beta 11 and LW 1.1.1-preview. -Hoping this is all fixed in 1.1.2

37. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

It is awesome! But..

I'm getting an annoying crash when I go to Edit > Render Pipeline > Upgrade project materials... :'( Cannot continue...

It seems that Unity uses all RAM available, and then crash (given the error screen that is shown).

Could this be done in smaller steps with proper memory cleanup?

My project is too large, more than 6k materials, it crashes when it is close to 1.5 to 2k. I cannot do it manually, too many files...

Edit: I made it by selecting Materials as the filter on search box (of the Project window), then manually selecting a few and saving (ctrl + s). Some materials don't allow me to change the shader, especially fonts and some trees, I don't know why... Maybe these caused the crash. By the way the automated converter should work, making this work manually is a pain hehe. Now I'll be testing on device.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  38. konsic

konsic

I somewhere I saw a video of a game made in LW-RP. What is the name of this game and where to find it on youtube?

39. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Is there also a plan for a high end mobile pipeline?

For example all new apple devices with metal support tesselation, and the new apple tv 4k is also a nice capable target.

40. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

konsic likes this.
  41. elbows

elbows

Since lightweight targets non-compute capable platforms and HD targets compute-capable ones, I would kind of expect its more likely that the HD pipeline will be tuned for high end mobile one day.

For example I was just looking in the old draft documentation on google docs and it says the following:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e2jkr_-v5iaZRuHdnMrSv978LuJKYZhsIYnrDkNAuvQ/edit#

42. beinteractive

beinteractive

I confirmed the issue was fixed in Unity 2018.1.0b12 + LWRP 1.1.2-preview. Thx

43. Stereo_Image

Stereo_Image

If I was to start a VR archviz project today with a GTX 1070 should I experiment with the lightweight render pipeline or stay with unity 2017.3 and wait for VR support with the HD pipeline?

44. orb

orb

I'm trying to import the LWRP via the package manager, but I'm only getting errors:
    I'm not sure what to actually import, but I've tried both with and without the core package. Latest macOS, Metal enabled (OpenGL removed).

45. Giles-Coope

Giles-Coope

I get an immediate crash whenever I run a LWRP project on my older tablet. Nexus 7 2012. It doesn't even get to the splash screen.

"A/libc(10797): Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1, fault addr 0x886bf178 in tid 10821 (UnityMain)"

This even happens if you take the Lightweight Template and strip out absolutely everything from the scene and project and just have a camera.

Unrelated question, will dynamic batching be supported in the LWRP any time soon?

46. orb

orb

I got as far as setting up LWRP correctly, which required reinstalling beta 12 again (or is it installing? I can't tell if it's the same beta 12 - probably not). I created the asset required, upgraded all materials and had the Shader Graph running, all with 1.1.2 versions of the packages. But while opening existing graphs to figure out how things work it crashed on the third graph I opened, and now the project isn't opening without crashing, even after deleting the Library. A bunch of bug reports are on the way.

47. konsic

konsic

48. eobet

eobet

So, the MSAA edge pixel bug won’t be fixed until 2018.2?

It feels as if there needs to be a VR pipeline too, because I can’t see any serious VR project only using a single shadow caster.

I hope Unity will create this, because although Valve were early out the gate with custom forward rendering for VR (The Lab renderer, which I think supported more lights than Unity core), their Github still says only an initial commit was made two years ago, so they haven’t updated or supported that in any way...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  49. orb

orb

I got my crash problem fixed, I think. I removed the LWRP and Shader Graph packages from the manifest and started up in beta 13, then installed the packages again via the package manager. Then I set up the SRP with the existing LWRP asset and restarted Unity three times just to see if it broke again. Good so far!

The only real complain I have now, apart from things still being written so they're not quite ready, is that graphics/quality settings are now spread across three panels: Two in the settings menu (which are prime candidates for custom shortcuts), and even more settings on the SRP asset itself.

Is there a way you can magically make everything appear in one place, outside the main Inspector? I've wanted panels which don't disappear once you click anything for all settings, really.

50. pavelkouril

pavelkouril

What versions of LWRP and Shader Graph are compatible with b8? I have a trouble getting the right version of the packages that work without issues with this version, since I need to have a simple project that will work on both Linux and Windows (and the latest version for Linux is b8).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.