Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: High Definition Render Pipeline

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, Sep 25, 2018.

1. sendspace

sendspace

so its v 4.1 ? how can i use it in unity package manager ?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Yes, it's 4.1.0 atm. I'll be in package manager once they release it, it's not done yet.

sendspace likes this.
  3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I'm curious if HDRP VR is targeted to be functional on 2018 cycle or is the focus on 2019 already for VR support?

For example right now you can run it on single pass but not instanced and you get no shadows. Earlier versions of the HDRP VR did show up shadows but they had artifacts (got weird shadows while tilting head etc).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  4. Elecman

Elecman

The "Upgrade Project Materials to High Definition Materials" feature should set the Metallic slider to 1 if the original was using a texture channel for metallic.

Also, the Smoothness Remapping slider should cover the full range, not set to the left half which is currently the case.

If these two things are fixed, it will make the conversion process a lot easier.

5. elbows

elbows

6. iamarugin

iamarugin

7. elbows

elbows

Yes I expect so, once they are happy to properly release it. I dont follow whats on package manager that closely so I wont notice when it becomes available, but it looks like it will be labelled as version 4.1.0. And you can see the changelog for whats in it (ignore the date shown there though): https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...render-pipelines.high-definition/CHANGELOG.md

8. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Thanks, I actually saw the slides little after I asked but then again a lot of HDRP feats marked into 2019.1 are already available on 2018.3 in some form. And VR does kinda work but it has issues so I'm curious if 2018 cycle will get fixes for example VR shadow rendering (I know that VR occlusion mesh is 2019 specific feat). 2018 LTS will be around for a long time so having VR working there would be nice.

9. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

As for 4.1.0-preview release, I'd expect it to be out soon, considering they said/wrote on few pages already that some of the new SRP feats are already in package manager (which most likely means they planned to get 4.1.0 out for Unite LA but couldn't make it in time).

sendspace likes this.
  10. Elecman

Elecman

The HDRP Unlit shader does not cast any shadows.

Also, how do I set ambient lighting in the HDRP?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  11. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

To just control Indirect lighting just add a Indirect Lighting Controller to your Scene Settings and change the values there. If you want a sky to be used for ambient lighting different from the one displayed in your scene you can create a scene-setting profile that you want to use for Ambient Lighting, add the sky you want to use and use that profile as the Sky Profile on the Scene Setting In your Scene as well as changing the Baking Sky to the type set in the profile.

upload_2018-10-28_9-33-45.png

12. cfree

cfree

Hey guys!
    The new Visual Effect Graph will NOT replace the standard Particle System for HD pipeline? If i understood correctly, for some effects we will still need the standard Particle System (for things like CPU particles, Physics simulated particles).

13. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Yes, it's not intended as a replacement, it fills a niche that was not previously covered by Unity tools.

Check out this video for more info:

TerraUnity likes this.
  14. Elecman

Elecman

I tried that but the indirect diffuse intensity has no effect. Indirect specular intensity works as advertised though. Does it work on your end?

15. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

That's weird. Yes, it works fine on my end. Tested it on HDRP 4.0.1 and 4.1.0 both worked fine. In one of my scenes, I found that if it's dark and auto exposure is enabled it might look like it's not working since auto exposure is compensating for the additional brightness.

16. Elecman

Elecman

Ah, that might be the case.

17. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Again, I know that a custom Atmospheric Scattering solution won't be there but at least does anyone know how to have both Volumetric & Exponential fog types at the same time in scene? Might be easy and cool for a Unity staff to give it a go.

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It doesn't even work on anything but HDRP so the existing stuff is not going anywhere.

19. dgoyette

dgoyette

Some feedback on HDRP Decals. I posted this in a Decal thread, but I'm also adding it here per the moderator's suggestion.

Emission: I'm using emission on another decal system, and I'd like to use it here too.

Angle Limits: Currently, decals looks silly if they get drawn on anything other than a perfectly flat surface. Here's a tire track decal I made, which draws stripes on the sides of this cube:

Ideally I could adjust the angle (relative to the decal's direction) to draw on. Even if I make the decal extremely thin, you'll still see a weird line on the bottom of the cube.

Limited to specific objects: I use decals to put burn marks on dynamic objects. As the objects move, the decal goes with them. However, I only want that decal to affect the specific mesh I've placed it on.

20. dgoyette

dgoyette

Do multi-pass shaders no longer work under HDRP? I have a shader that has two passes, one to draw some noise, and a second pass to draw some sprites on top. Right now, only the first pass (the noise generation) appears to draw. If I switch the order of the two passes, I get the sprites drawing instead.

Code (CSharp):
    1. // Upgrade NOTE: replaced 'mul(UNITY_MATRIX_MVP,*)' with 'UnityObjectToClipPos(*)'
    3. // This is a modified version of Unity's Sprites-Default.shader.
    5. Shader "Gravia/VisorInnerScreenShader"
    6. {
    7.     Properties
    8.     {
    10.         _OffsetAmount("Offset Amount", Range(0.7, 1.1)) = 1
    11.         //_NoiseLevel ("Noise Level", Range(0,.01)) = 0
    12.         //_NoiseScrollSpeed ("Noise Scroll Speed", Range(.01, 50)) = 1
    13.         _ColorModifier("Color Modifier", Range(0,1)) = 0
    14.         _BackgroundTex("CRT Noise Texture", 2D) = "white" {}
    15.         _BackgroundOpacity("Background Opacity", Range(0,1)) = 0
    17.          _MainTex("Sprite Texture", 2D) = "white" {}
    18.         _Color("Tint", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    19.         [MaterialToggle] PixelSnap("Pixel snap", Float) = 0
    20.         [HideInInspector] _RendererColor("RendererColor", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    21.         [HideInInspector] _Flip("Flip", Vector) = (1,1,1,1)
    22.         [PerRendererData] _AlphaTex("External Alpha", 2D) = "white" {}
    23.         [PerRendererData] _EnableExternalAlpha("Enable External Alpha", Float) = 0
    25.     }
    27.         SubShader
    28.         {
    29.             Tags
    30.             {
    31.                 "Queue" = "Transparent"
    32.                 "IgnoreProjector" = "True"
    33.                 "RenderType" = "Transparent"
    34.                 "PreviewType" = "Plane"
    35.                 "CanUseSpriteAtlas" = "True"
    36.             }
    38.             Cull Off
    39.             Lighting Off
    40.             ZWrite Off
    41.             ZTest Always
    42.             Blend One OneMinusSrcAlpha
    44.             // One pass to draw the "drop-shadow" effect
    45.             Pass
    46.             {
    47.             CGPROGRAM
    48.                 #pragma vertex vert
    49.                 #pragma fragment frag
    50.                 #pragma target 2.0
    51.                 #include "UnitySprites.cginc"
    53.                 float _OffsetAmount;
    54.         //half _NoiseLevel;
    55.         //half _NoiseScrollSpeed;
    56.         half _ColorModifier;
    57.         sampler2D _BackgroundTex;
    58.         half _BackgroundOpacity;
    61.         // vertex shader inputs
    62.        struct vertData
    63.        {
    64.            float4 vertex : POSITION; // vertex position
    65.            float2 uv : TEXCOORD0; // texture coordinate
    66.        };
    68.        // vertex shader outputs ("vertex to fragment")
    69.        struct v2fX
    70.        {
    71.            float2 uv : TEXCOORD0; // texture coordinate
    72.            float4 vertex : SV_POSITION; // clip space position
    73.        };
    75.        // vertex shader
    76.        v2fX vert(vertData v)
    77.        {
    78.            v2fX o;
    79.            o.vertex = UnityObjectToClipPos(v.vertex);
    80.            o.vertex = Vector(o.vertex.x  , o.vertex.y / _OffsetAmount, o.vertex.z * _OffsetAmount , o.vertex.w * _OffsetAmount);
    81.            o.uv = v.uv;
    82.            return o;
    83.        }
    86.        fixed4 frag(v2fX i) : SV_Target
    87.        {
    88.            fixed4 col = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv);
    89.            fixed4 backgroundCol = tex2D(_BackgroundTex, (i.uv * 3.5) + float2(_SinTime.x / 20, _Time.x / 8)) * _BackgroundOpacity;
    93.            // Skip any fully transparent pixels
    94.            clip(col.a - 0.001);
    96.            // Clip out some pixels to make columns.
    97.            //clip(fmod(i.uv.y + frac(_Time.x / _NoiseScrollSpeed) , _NoiseLevel) - 0.001);          
    99.            // TODO: This should allow a background intensity value to be passed in, so we can fade the UI in smoothly.
    101.            col = fixed4(backgroundCol.r * _ColorModifier, backgroundCol.g * _ColorModifier, backgroundCol.b * _ColorModifier, 0);
    102.            //col += fixed4(col.r * _ColorModifier, col.g * _ColorModifier, col.b * _ColorModifier, 0);
    104.            return col;
    105.        }
    106.    ENDCG
    107.    }
    109.             // Then a pass to draw the actual UI on top.
    110.           Pass
    111.           {
    112.           CGPROGRAM
    113.               #pragma vertex SpriteVert
    114.               #pragma fragment SpriteFrag
    115.               #pragma target 2.0
    116.               #pragma multi_compile_instancing
    117.               #pragma multi_compile _ PIXELSNAP_ON
    118.               #pragma multi_compile _ ETC1_EXTERNAL_ALPHA
    119.               #include "UnitySprites.cginc"
    120.           ENDCG
    121.            }
    122.         }
    123. }

21. Satansama

Satansama

Hey, possible bug that I found with HDRP and shader graph.

I was looking at the "Vertex position" blog post and I tried to replicate the shaders in HDRP but when I use the transform node from world to object spacemy object disappears. It works well in LWRP

Used the template project in both cases with HDRP 2.0.8 and shader graph 2.0.8.

Is there something that I am missing in HDRP?

EDIT: Seems like the objects doesn't disappear, they are just rendered in a wrong position far away.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  22. dgoyette

dgoyette

Can you show your code, or an image of your graph, where you're using the transform node?

I just tried using the transform node to go from Object to World, then from World to Object again, and it put everything where it belongs.

upload_2018-11-1_10-34-16.png

23. Satansama

Satansama

Did you try to apply it to position? Doing what you did produces the same result for me too. Note that this works in LWRP

upload_2018-11-1_18-6-43.png

24. dgoyette

dgoyette

Ah, interesting. Going from Object to World and back to Object works. But starting from World and going to Object does indeed put the pixels at the wrong place. I tried the following two approaches. The top one, same as yours, is broken. The bottom one works, though. Sounds like a bug, unless I just don't understand something.

upload_2018-11-1_12-7-5.png

25. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm having an issue trying to build after upgrading to HDRP. This takes a minute or two under the built-in renderer, but under HDRP I've been letting this go for an hour, and it never gets past this point. I've been able to build the demo scene, though that also took longer than I would have expected. Any thoughts on what I should be looking into to understand the build time?

upload_2018-11-1_20-22-54.png

Edit: Waiting a bit longer, now it's showing this:

upload_2018-11-1_20-25-42.png

Is it really creating 800+ variants of the Lit shader?

26. dgoyette

dgoyette

Performance seems to be pretty bad compared to the built-in renderer. I understand that might be the case for a preview package, but I just want to understand whether this is just something that Unity needs to work on a bit more, or whether this is what should be expected of the HDRP.

I did a very simple comparison test, once within an HDRP project, and again within a built-in renderer project. All I did was create a new scene, and then ran it. I didn't change anything at all about the scene. The results, in FPS according to the Stats window:
    • HDRP: ~600FPS
    • Built-in: ~1600FPS
    Is this expected?

27. Try to create all the bells and whistles in the built in what the HDRP does and see what will be the difference in performance. If you don't use the HDRP features, why do you want to use HDRP at the first place?
    Of course HDRP is slower, it does much-much more work (not to mention that the built in is a mature product with many-many years of development and polish, HDRP is a preview). Honestly, what do you expect at this point?
    You're holding it wrong.

28. dgoyette

dgoyette

Come on... This is a feedback thread. I'm spending a good amount of time working with the new pipeline, running into issues, and trying to provide useful feedback to the dev team. I don't see how your reply is constructive or helpful. I even stated I understand if they're still working on performance...

Anyway, in looking at this further, however, it's worth pointing out that if I create my own HD Render Pipeline Asset, and turn off most of the features, then I'm seeing closer to 900 FPS instead of 600 FPS on an empty scene.There's a fair bit enabled by default that I probably don't need. But for someone just getting started with HDRP, it's not yet obvious what kinds of changes I can make to the Render Pipeline Asset to improve performance without just completely breaking something.

29. I'm sorry, but you're the second person who comes forward with this nonsense and trying to compare apples (built-in empty scene) to oranges (HDRP empty scene).
    Maybe you're trying to give feedback, but it's not useful and it's not constructive at all, since you're measuring two utterly different things and complaining about it.
    And I won't start again with the FPS-nonsense again (also I bet you "measured" in the editor...). Read up in this thread:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/hd-rp-vs-built-in-pipeline-performance-comparison.526509

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  30. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Would you be able to do a test that is actually reliable? This does not seem like a good way to test at all....

31. elbows

elbows

It isnt simply a question of Unity working on performance, although I'm sure there will be various optimisations at various points.

The performance that ultimately matters is the performance of actual populated scenes in your projects. I doubt that HD is going to be faster in a scene with nothing going on, and I will also not be surprised if SRPs in general and HDRP especially has some inherent overhead compared to built in. But just because HDRP may have a greater basic overhead, doesnt mean its performing worse than the built in renderer. Its often a question of scale - just one example would be that perhaps I might lose a ms or two with the basic overhead, but then gain that back in a scene that utilises far more lights. Thats just an example, I havent tested light performance.

Another way of looking at it is that there may be a price to pay for having better looking output, with more features, in HDRP. The fact that you can fine tune things to turn features off that you dont need does add a level of complexity to optimising your project that was not so present in old renderer. But thats somewhat inevitable, with power and fleibility comes the need to learn more to get the best out of it.

Even with all the knowledge and tweaking in the world, and after further optimisations by Unity, it wont surprise me if some scenes perform worse on HDRP than standard renderer. This becomes an inevitable part of the equation as to whether it even makes sense to use HDRP for a particular project. And there are unlikely to be any great and perfect knowledge shortcuts when it comes to determining that sort of thing.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  32. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Anyone got a bug in HDRP 410 when "Support Fabric BSDF Convolution" are activated it slow down the editor like a lot?

umm @Remy_Unity

33. Elecman

Elecman

Bug: indirect diffuse intensity only works if Enlighten is used. Currently there is no way to change the ambient lighting if Enlighten is not used.

34. Elecman

Elecman

With HD SRP 4.1 I noticed that _WorldSpaceCameraPos has to be replaced with GetPrimaryCameraPosition(), and GetUnityWorldToObject() has to be replaced with GetWorldToObjectMatrix(), in order for the rendering to look correct.

Additionally, EvaluateAtmosphericScattering() is broken. It used to work fine in 4.0 find but in 4.1 it turns the sprites into triangles. If I comment out that function, it works again.

EvaluateAtmosphericScattering bug:
    triangles.JPG

If I change the fog code to this, the triangles disappear, but the sprites are white in the distance instead of being blocked out completely:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float3 test = float3(1, 1, 1);
    2. //col = EvaluateAtmosphericScattering(posInput, col.xyz);
    3. col = EvaluateAtmosphericScattering(posInput, test, col);
    It has something to do with how _ENABLE_FOG_ON_TRANSPARENT is to be used in a custom shader because with an HD shader set to unlit and transparent, it works correctly.

fog 2.JPG

Repo:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T37dPc8QDvvrJpj64O24lSzFaDktN0lN/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    hippocoder likes this.
  35. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Elecman likes this.
  36. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Official docs lag behind version or two pretty much always for all packages (SRP is no exception on this). If you want to see the recent changelogs, you could just look them up in the github, for example:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...render-pipelines.high-definition/CHANGELOG.md

37. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

38. Elecman

Elecman

The current fog implementation is not suitable for flight simulators as it gives a clear boundary when viewing the earth from a large altitude.

fog band.JPG

It looks like it is caused by an incorrect implementation of the "Fog height attenuation" feature.

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

HDRP 5.0 (2019) causes black screen and error spam when looking in a certain direction.

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDShadowManager.PrepareGPUShadowDatas (UnityEngine.Rendering.CullingResults cullResults, UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@5.0.0-preview/Runtime/Lighting/Shadow/HDShadowManager.cs:315)
    3. UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.LightLoop.PrepareLightsForGPU (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd, UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDCamera hdCamera, UnityEngine.Rendering.CullingResults cullResults, UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.ReflectionProbeCullResults reflectionProbeCullResults, UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.DensityVolumeList densityVolumes, UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.DebugDisplaySettings debugDisplaySettings) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@5.0.0-preview/Runtime/Lighting/LightLoop/LightLoop.cs:1859)
    4. UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipeline.Render (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@5.0.0-preview/Runtime/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs:1075)
    5. UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipeline.InternalRender (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipeline.cs:43)
    6. UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal (UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset pipe, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras, System.IntPtr loopPtr, Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle safety) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:56)
    I tried to narrow it down with a repro case but it's so intermittent and its frustrating. Has anyone had this?

40. Tartiflette

Tartiflette

Also got the same error. You can somewhat work around it by disabling lighting in the editor by I haven't managed to find what actually causes it.

hippocoder likes this.
  41. kite3h

kite3h

I think Dual Specular lobe would be applied at Lit SSS material.

SSS reduce detail of normal map.
    SSS material need high roughness for detail and low roughness for high light.

I know there is no room in G-Buffer layout.
    But There is a way like Unreal.
    SSS profile should have two roughness modifier.

42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

HDRP 5.0 issue in source assets untouched from package manager plus crash in playmode with SRP batcher enabled.

upload_2018-11-9_0-21-7.png

43. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Contact Shadows - would be nice to make this selective but I'm not sure if it's possible. Basically I have emissive meshes set to cast no shadows but contact shadows will draw on surrounding area regardless. I don't think its a show stopper because I could always set it to a transparent pass. Just mentioning.

44. id0

id0

I'm already write about this, and I'm interesting too - what exactly HDRP do with all this shaders? No, really, what a hell is this? I have big project with many different materials. Is it really make shader for each material? Seriously? Last time I build project about 12 hrs, this is just ridiculous. Sometimes it just froze on some shaders and think long, long time. I can't send bug report, but I think they already should know about it? Hey, HDRP devs, will it be fixed or what?

45. dgoyette

dgoyette

I was only able to build after I created my own HDRP Asset, and disabled a fair number of features. So I can build in a reasonable time now, probably in the time it took under the built-in renderer. However, if I switch back to the default HDRP Asset, it still hangs "forever".

id0 likes this.
  46. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

I understand the things like that ( not sure if this is the case though ) !

First time you build a project, all shader variant should be compiled ( and cached on disk ). If you go and work on the project and build again without adding a new shader it should build really fast. Then, if you create a new shader or use some of the built in shaders for first time - it will go and re-build all shader variants again simply because the actual shader variants have changed !

Simply said - if you only use the HDRP Lit shader for all the objects in the game - you will most likely not have to wait long on every build. But every time you add a new shader or enable for example fog for first time is scene settings - you will have to wait again for all the shader variant to get compiled !

47. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I think a lot of this is to do with the shader variant bug that a lot of us (me included) have been reporting.

Right now it seems to compile every shader variant in existence, regardless of what you do around it.

From the blog post it seems we now have to manually sort this out via a build process script, which I am not very happy about, but it is a solution (I havent tested this yet).

48. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Shader Variant stripping will probably be in the next release of HDRP, Been seeing it pop up a couple of times in the master branch. (Seems it's been removed now) upload_2018-11-9_14-40-16.png
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...mmit/1bdc509dc1827e8be30576bec085b7c431f79430

Although I can't say I've experienced the same issues as others while building (I always have Shader Variant stripping on and I haven't built an HDRP project since Book of The Dead) but when I did it went pretty fast. Shader Variant Stripping was in back then (2018.2 beta days) Haven't tried on the newer versions of HDRP 4.1.0, 5.0.0, or 5.1.0
    upload_2018-11-9_14-37-51.png

Gotta remember, HDRP is work in progress, a lot of changes happening all over. this is why it's not production ready, all of this should be expected.

49. Pr0x1d

Pr0x1d

Masking vertex position with UV result in error.

Basically I am doing grass shader and I want to make grass waving. Because terrain grass quads doesnt have any vertex colors or any other useful thing to make gradiend from ground to top of grass I needed to do it with UV masking. Problem is that it results in error. Tried same thing in LWRP and it works just fine.

(HDRP)
    upload_2018-11-9_21-54-2.png

(LWRP)
    upload_2018-11-9_21-55-21.png

Attached Files:

50. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies