Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: High Definition Render Pipeline

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Jesus

Jesus

HDRP comes with its own post-processing. Remove PostProcessing with the package manager if it's there.

They're accessed with Volume object/components, and profiles. So for an empty gameobject, create a volume component. Then it'll need a profile, you can create with the ...something(?) Profile in the Right Click > Create menu in your assets folder, or you might be able to see "New" in the volume component.

It works just like the PP Vols from PPv2, but you can also add stuff that used to be under the Lighting Tab (skybox, ambient light, fog, etc etc etc).

I don't think there's any scripting reference for the volumes, but if there is feel free to post and prove me wrong :)

Mozq8 likes this.
  2. Mozq8

Mozq8

Thanks, it worked!

One more question though, how can I use volumetric fog and does Unity lights supports volumetric fog?
    tweaking the parameter in volumetric fog does nothing, or I need to attach some kind of the script to the light itself?

3. aandnot

aandnot

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a weird issue where my alpha channel (I think) in HDRP is tinted green. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

I've tested it on three different machines: Windows PC, Mac Pro, Macbook Pro and I've gotten the same results. I've even started completely new projects and still gotten this result. I'm flummoxed.

Unity 2019.1.0f2.png

4. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, Is your effect using translencent / tranmission ? We have found an issue with it recently looking like yours (green particles) and a fix will be available in version 5.14 (available this week).

aandnot likes this.
  5. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Peter77 and Jesus like this.
  6. Erfan_SheikhHoseini

Erfan_SheikhHoseini

You do not need to add pp package anymore, just remove it and create a scene settings object

Mozq8 likes this.
  7. aandnot

aandnot

Great, thanks.

8. Jesus

Jesus

You need to go into your Environment Settings profile in the scene, and make sure Visual Environment has Volumetric Fog as the Fog Type, and you have Volume Fog settings in a volume profile somewhere. There's also a Volume Fog Quality (or similar) section, that lets you change max fog-volume-slice range, as well as how the slices are spaced, so grab that too while you're there.

On each light, you should find a setting near the bottom that toggles affecting volumes.

Also, in the HD Render Pipeline Asset, there's an option for Volume Fog Quality. You can toggle on/off High Quality, which is like sampling resolution. Typically these Volume Things are VERY VERY expensive, so they're rendered at half or quarter-res or less, and upscaled. They're blurry effects, so nobody notices anyway. If you NEED, ACTUALLY NEED higher quality, you can check the high quality option.

Having trouble with the Reflection Probes not picking up the skybox, and going straight to the Clear Colour that you can set. Everything's set up right, in visual environment, etc, and the probes are set to clear the sky, but it's not working.

Anyway, gotta post some more pics.

Yellow_Page_A4_tiny.png

Mozq8 likes this.
  9. Mozq8

Mozq8

Thank you so much, Jesus!

interpol_kun likes this.
  10. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

Hi all, I tried to change the offset of "HDRP/Lit" using "material.mainTextureOffset = new Vector2()", but it didn't work. How can I change the offset of the material?

11. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

Unity 2019.1.2f1, HDRP 5.13.0., SRP Batcher and LODGroups: Bug?

i have created a shader using shder graph and manualy added:
    "#pragma multi_compile_vertex LOD_FADE_PERCENTAGE" so it contains both:
    #pragma multi_compile _ LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE
    #pragma multi_compile_vertex LOD_FADE_PERCENTAGE

using this shader within a LODgroup which is set to use Fade Mode = Seepdtree just works fine.
    but if i enable the SRP Batcher things go crazy and LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE is performed on top of LOD_FADE_PERCENTAGE. both keywords are enabled at the same time so the trees just dither out instead of fade in.

srp batcher.PNG

edit: materials which only support crossfade to fals cross fading when using Fade Mode = Seepdtree and SRP Batcher.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  12. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

13. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

btw.: i am pretty new to HDRP and just checking the demo scene with a few custom shaders and models on top.
    what i have noticed so far:
    • DoRenderLoop still produces garbage each frame: 2.2 KB.
    • DoRenderLoop entirely runs on the main thread? even in this super simple scene with literally nothing in it it takes roughly 5.6ms (i7 6700HQ @2.6 GHz)
    is this something that is going to change?

iamarugin likes this.
  14. ArnoldCarterWong

ArnoldCarterWong

tried the 6.7.0 master branch(2019-05-12) from github, here is the result

SeresSF7HS_cam00_front_v2.jpg
    SeresSF7HS_cam00_rear_v2.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  15. FGallorini

FGallorini

Any news for HDRP 5.14 via package manager ?

16. xrooshka

xrooshka

Hello. I've updated one of my old projects that I'm updating all the time since Unity 5.4. And i found that sundisk is working perfect there. I tried to reproduce the lighting settings in the sample scene and all is working fine
    upload_2019-5-15_22-47-27.png
    Except that it's not the accurate physical light settings )))

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

The template is now working again so if you were to try using the template setup it should work as it generates a new volume with the changes required @rizu might elaborate.

(For real light values like 100k LUX)

18. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

If you got to
    Window -> Analysis -> Render Pipeline Wizard

Select fix all for the popup you get and it should create some default assets that will be in new scenes you create. The post-processing and directional light will have physical values as well.

xrooshka likes this.
  19. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Update: Managed to get this figured out myself.

Hi @SebLagarde ,
    I noticed that Handles.DrawCamera() isn't working correctly in HDRP (see case 1152166). The customer support that has been working on this issue told me that there are currently no plans supporting this method in the future.

I used that method to render a second scene view camera so that some objects overlay the rest of the scene but with the overlaying objects still having correct depth sorting in respect to each other. According to my experience, using methods of the "Handles" class to draw multiple such overlay objects resulted in wrong depth sorting between these objects.

Is there any technique available to render overlaying objects with correct depth sorting in the Scene View when HDRP is used? Please note that I don't need to have any of the "fancy" HDRP features available in this overlay camera, it just uses a basic unlit shader.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    BATTLEKOT likes this.
  20. Jesus

Jesus

BTW, for those who want to script volumes, here's how you do it:

It's not tooooooo difficult, not that different than PPv2 if you've used that. It seems like you have to have the option in Orange ticked otherwise it's locked to whatever default is for performance reasons. Makes sense, but can catch you out (just have to remember to tick things as you go along).

just remember to add this at the top of your script:

using UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline;

Then I set a volume with all the other variables like this, then assign it in inspector:

public Volume AdjustablePostProcessingVolume;
    Scripting_Volumes_HDRP.png

Have fun lads and ladies.

Creepgin and Korindian like this.
  21. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

@SebLagarde
    Is there any HDRP sample codes for hand-coded custom shaders? like the LWRP sample.

YuriyPopov likes this.
  22. id0

id0

Error in Unity 2019.3 and HDRP 6.7

Code (JavaScript):
    1. com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition\Runtime\Lighting\Shadow\HDShadowUtils.cs(83,23): error CS1061: 'ShadowSplitData' does not contain a definition for 'shadowCascadeBlendCullingFactor' and no accessible extension method 'shadowCascadeBlendCullingFactor' accepting a first argument of type 'ShadowSplitData' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

5dio likes this.
  23. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

Unity still dont fix bug with dark editor window when you use Umotion in HDRP???

24. rizu

rizu

This sounds more like design issue where Umotion wants something that HDRP doesn't implement. It really sounds like it's "by design" in HDRP and that's why they won't change it. If that's the case, Umotion dev has to find some other way to implement whatever was needed here.

25. elbows

elbows

Depends on the detail of the issue. Most 3rd party devs are not willing to support HDRP when its still in preview, and having seen the amount of work going into HDRP by Unity, I'm not surprised that it isnt Unitys top priority to sort these things at the moment either.

Here is an example of the issue being discussed on umotion forums:

https://support.soxware.com/1961/umotion-bug-in-unity2019-2-0b1-and-hdrp-6-5-3

So no technical info there that would enable me to make a quick determination as to what the issue is and whether it is reasonable for Unity not to fix it at this stage. This particular issue seems a bit weird to me to be honest.

26. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

The method that UMotion's bone rendering mainly relies on (i.e. Handles.DrawCamera()) is currently not planned to be supported in HDRP according to Unity and is causing the wrong (darker,...) rendering different UMotion users reported. Thus I'm seeking for other (maybe even better) ways to do the rendering in HDRP.

elbows likes this.
  27. Takamba

Takamba

Hi

Is there a possibility to exclude a layer in the HDRP decal projector like in the legacy projector?

28. elbows

elbows

Thanks for all the dev work on making various HDRP things work in XR. Because volumetric fog works, I have recently been able to step inside my fluid sim, which was quite the experience. Demos to follow at some point.

hippocoder likes this.
  29. Jesus

Jesus

@elbows wait, volumetric fog works with XR? That's gotta be a huge load on the machine, right? I mean, you could reduce the fog distance to room size, so reducing sample count can help, but still...

Anyway, another pic! Doing some AutoViz in HDRP

docks_Alt_480.png

Background HDRI is from Dutch Free 360* HDRI Vol 1 (or 2). Really getting a lot of use out of HDRI with HDRP.

30. SKoptev

SKoptev

Hello everyone!

Discovered that "UV overlap" mode in scene view, is not working. The same image displayed, as in "shaded" mode; all works good in built-in graphics pipeline.
    Unity v.2019.1.0f2, HDRP v.5.7.2

Is this mode implemented at all, and what can you advice for lightmap-UV check in HDRP?
    Thanks!

YuriyPopov likes this.
  31. elbows

elbows

Something is wrong in github land.....

Checking out files: 100% (16254/16254), done.
    Downloading com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Samples~/PostProcessingData/PostProcessingData.unitypackage (31 MB)
    Error downloading object: com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Samples~/PostProcessingData/PostProcessingData.unitypackage (d8bdbd7): Smudge error: Error downloading com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Samples~/PostProcessingData/PostProcessingData.unitypackage (d8bdbd7909a6893703d49a23e53842531af28358b71c65d7e634a7e2b2d31c9b): batch response: This repository is over its data quota. Purchase more data packs to restore access.

32. crysicle

crysicle

Severe blackness from terrain patches.

Edtiror: 2019.1.4f1
    HDRP: 5.13.0

33. harleylaurie

harleylaurie

Go to your project files and open the file Library\PackageCache\com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@6.7.1-preview\Runtime\Lighting\Shadow\HDShadowUtils.cs
    Remove or comment out lines 81-84, it will confirm that you want to make changes to a read only file, click yes

This fix the problem for me, unsure if doing this may cause other problems to arise

34. Velo222

Velo222

I really loved the SMAA (sub-pixel morphological) anti-aliasing option available in Unity 2018.3 HDRP versions. However, I see in Unity 2019.1+ the SMAA option has been removed from the Camera (only FXAA and TAA are available right now).

Is there any way to bring back the SMAA functionality for HDRP? It was the best effect in my opinion, and I'm not at all sure why it was removed? I've never liked TAA or FXAA as they are very blurry.

35. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm not sure if you've somehow disabled it via some config setting, but I'm using SMAA in 2019.1 with 5.13:

upload_2019-5-26_22-28-25.png

36. Velo222

Velo222

Oh that is interesting. And very good actually. I am currently using Unity 2019.1 as well, but with HD package version 5.7, because I'm using a 3rd party asset for my terrain that requires HD package 5.7. Maybe it just happens to be missing in that package version?

I hope that is the case. That means if I am able to upgrade to a newer package version it should be there then?

37. FGallorini

FGallorini

@Unity Developers

Is a short-time update of the HDRP 5.13 version via Packagemanager (built-in 2019.1) expected?

Otherwise I have to explain the update process via GIT to my collaborators

38. elbows

elbows

Actually I might not do a demo of this soon, because I have now ended up with a non-HD VR project to work on which will eat most of my time, and I probably should wait till more is known about Unitys own 'Fluid Sim Volumes' work for HDRP before I invest much more time on my own sim.

Would appreciate any update about progress, timescales including ETAs, or any other information about the following as they relate to HDRP:

SpeedTree shaders (saw some work on github on this but nothing in recent weeks).
    PBR Sky (I see ongoing active development of this on github but wonder if a particular release is being aimed for, and to what extent the PBR Sky will be backported).
    FluidSim Volumes.
    Textures Area Light Volumetric fog support (still aiming for 2019.2 or longer timescale now anticipated?).
    Anything related to further XR improvements/features in HDRP.

39. cfree

cfree

Regarding "Volumetric Fog", there is a reason i can not define the "volumetric scattering intensity" individually on each scene light? This option is unvaluable to achieve good results...
    Right now is really hard to achieve good volumetric light shafts per light (even with volumetric high quality ticked)... maybe i am missing something.

40. Takamba

Takamba

Hi

I am playing around with HDRP and I have a weird behaviour regarding planar reflection probe on a plane.

Depending on where the mouse pointer is, the reflection intensity (smoothness) change drastically.

Pic01: Mouse pointer over Scene View

Reflection01_MP_SceneView.png

Pic02: Mouse pointer over Inspector

Reflection02_MP_Inspector.png

Jesus likes this.
  41. Jesus

Jesus

I also get that a fair bit, seems stable in game mode when playing though so maybe it's something to do with mipping/blurring the reflection or scene camera that does it?

42. FGallorini

FGallorini

Unity 2019.1.4 HDRP 5.16.1 Fix problem with decal but the translucent particle are always green any tips?

43. syscrusher

syscrusher

[SOLVED] This is entirely fixed in HDRP 5.16 Preview. I am leaving the post in place in case others experience the problem in earlier versions, but I am no longer requesting help in resolving. :)

I have a simple question about lighting in the HDRP. I've loaded up the example construction scene in Unity 2019.1, and everything seems to be working except that the camera itself seems to influence lighting and shadow in the scene. This not only happens in game mode, but also with the scene view camera.

I've looked at the Main Camera object to make sure it doesn't have a cube attached for visibility or some other obvious cause. Here is an animated GIF of what I see as I use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out in the scene view. (The obvious color banding is an artifact of the GIF capture and is not present on my screen.)

Unity-HDRP-SceneShadow-scaled.gif

Moving the player camera around in game mode shows a similar effect. Note that the line of the mysterious shadow is aligned with the scene axes, not the position of the camera. It does not rotate as I change the angle of the camera, but only moves back and forth as shown. In the game mode, the behavior is the same except that the shadow line is rotated 90 degrees in the XZ plane.

In the GIF, note along the left edge of the moving shadow that there is a clearly-visible corner, suggesting the light is being occluded by a rectangular object that moves with the camera.

Probably someone else has seen this before. Have I got a setting wrong somewhere that causes this? Thanks for any advice.

ADDENDUM: This is definitely related to the scene's Directional Light. In addition to the above, I have observed the following after further testing:
    • The problem does not replicate with a point light, regardless of whether the directional light is enabled or disabled in the scene.
    • Disabling the directional light removes the shadow.
    • Positioning the camera in just a certain spot, it is actually possible to see the full shape of the mysterious shadow. To my surprise, there is a hole in the center where light passes through. It is very much as if the directional light was being occluded by a giant floppy disk (the really old 5.25" or 8" with a hole in the center) that is attached to the camera.
    • Turning off shadows for the directional light makes the problem go away.
    • Switching the directional light from realtime or mixed mode to baked mode also makes the problem go away.
    • In mixed mode, the choice of which baking system (Enlighten, Progressive CPU, Progressive GPU) makes no difference in symptoms.
    • Moving the directional light -- as expected -- has no effect.
    • Rotating the directional light moves the angle of all other shadows in the scene but not this camera-relative shadow.
    • Changing any of the various radii or bias settings for the emission or shadow on the light has no effect, as far as I can tell.
    • When not in play mode, moving the Main Camera by hand in the scene view causes the shadow artifact from that camera in the game preview but not in the scene. Moving around the scene with its internal camera has no effect on the game preview shadows.
    • That circle of light in the center of the mystery shadow appears even in areas that are normally shadowed from other objects, such as the wall with gypsum board present.
    • If a second camera is placed in the scene overlaying part of the first camera's viewport, both cameras exhibit the problem but they do not see one another's false shadow. The two game mode cameras and the scene editor camera are entirely independent with respect to this phenomenon.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  44. jjejj87

jjejj87

Hi, it seems like that there is a strange green tint to subsurface scattering in the latest 5.16

Can anyone else confirm if they are getting this as well?

45. ArnoldCarterWong

ArnoldCarterWong

SeresSF7HS_realtime_01.jpg
    SeresSF7HS_realtime_02.jpg

SeresSF7HS_realtime_03.jpg

SeresSF7HS_realtime_04.jpg

SeresSF7HS_realtime_05.jpg

Some screenshots from my car configurator project using HDRP 6.7.1.
    It runs at 130fps at 2560x1440 with a 2080Ti. The car is a lowpoly game spec model.
    Screenshots are downscaled ones rendered with the photo mode script which outputs images up to 9k with the 2080Ti in runtime.

syscrusher likes this.
  46. FGallorini

FGallorini

Confirm i've the same issue with all shader with translucency or Sub Surface Scattering

jjejj87 likes this.
  47. syscrusher

syscrusher

Marvelous! The paint material is rendering beautifully.

It occurs to me that the curved surfaces on a car lend themselves well to your approach of using a game-level model to reduce poly count, and let the shader do the smoothing.

48. alsharefeeee

alsharefeeee

Hi Everyone, I have been trying to edit "Read-Only" scripts in HDRP package and once Unity is restarted the scripts goes back to its original state.

Is there a way to keep my changes?

Thanks

49. andybak

andybak

It's really badly signposted so everyone misses it - but you don't use PPv2 with HDRP.

HDRP has it's own built-in post-processing.

50. jRocket

jRocket

I don't know if this is a HDRP issue or a Package Manager issue, but I upgraded my HDRP to the latest 5.16(2019.1) and got a bunch of errors in the console. It turns out I had to also upgrade Shader Graph to made the errors go away. It seems like when upgrading, HDRP is not recognizing the appropriate Shader Graph version as a dependency or just not upgrading it.