Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: High Definition Render Pipeline

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, Sep 25, 2018.

1. 479813005

I read the HDRP source code and found it difficult to add custom post-processing without modifying the HDRP source.
    There is any simple way or ETA to attach post-processing to HDRP like this https://www.shadertoy.com/view/XtVGD1

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

from https://forum.unity.com/threads/hdrp-new-post-processing-extending.624166/#post-4229698:
    This applies to current 2019.1 and 2019.2 HDRP versions, you have to modify the source code of the HDRP package itself if you need PP changes atm.

For 2018.3 and 2018.4 LTS, you can still extend the old post processing package like instructed on the PP stack v2 documentation.

479813005 likes this.
  3. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

This whole message is pretty confusing:
    - Prior to HDRP, all light types could already do shadows.
    - Are you really using spot lights ? The behaviour you're describing is more the one of a directional light.
    - Have you tried tweaking the shadow distance and cascade values (if indeed it's a directional light) ?

4. darkydoodle

darkydoodle

Yes I understand why it's confusing, i'm not to ask for a modification / Something new in the HDRP. I'm using a spot light as a sun, because I'm randomly generating the side of a planet that's tidaly locked to its sun. Like this, I can have a bright center that's getting dimmer on the side of the map. Also, shadows are getting longer on the side, opposite to the center.

The problem is that my spot light is taking in the whole map and there's tiny objects there (trees). They need a good shadow resolution. To make it works, I put a second camera to the spot light. The center of this second camera is always pointing to the center of the main camera. I make some calcultions in real time so that I can have the smallest shadowmap (depth) possible from the second camera point of view. For that, I use the 4 points coordinates of the main camera view. As a result, the shadow map is dynamic and you can see it well on edit mode : there's shadows only roughly on the part of the scene that the main camera is seeing.

With HDRP, I scratched that, because it looked that "normal" shadows would do the trick. But it doesn't, and I completly understand why. I'm a special case and I will use shadows from only one light source. My plan is to reactivate my custom shadows, and, depending on what I want the game to look like, use HDRP's shadows for other lights, while deactivating my spot light shadows.

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

This means stack v2.0 custom effects will not be backward compatible with v3.0 ?

6. konsic

konsic

Could you release for final 2019.1 latest v6 of HDRP with all shaders in?

7. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I'm having this same issue, the console is spamming this same error, but in my case I tried to build something and then the editor crashed but when I opened this started.
    -
    edit: it seems like the RenderPipelineResources reference is lost everytime unity crashes, and it is not possible to find it through the object picker dialog (small circle button), I think it is because the HDRenderPipelineResources is on the Packages folder and not the Assets folder.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  8. darkydoodle

darkydoodle

I have a good one :
    I have 3 cameras in my game
    • the main camera
    • an FX camera, mirroring the main camera
    • a shadow camera, linked to the "sun" light

When I launched the game in the editor, I had a very Strange behaviour :
    • If the shadow camera was selected on the object hierarchy, I had my shadows in the play and scene windows
    • If the main camera was selected, the shadows disappeared
    • If none of the camera were selected (for example, another object or no object at all was selected), I had sometimes nothing, sometimes tiny misplaced shadows that moved with the scene (!) camera (If I rotated the scene camera, the shadows moved wildly)

Found out that the unity matrixes (V, VP at least) were changing according to the object selected in the hierarchy even if the rendering was done with a specific camera.
    For example : In the frame debugger, at the rendering part of my shadow camera, if the shadow camera is selected, I have the good matrixes used in the shaders. If the main camera is selected, I got the main camera matrixes. If nothing is selected, I got the scene camera matrixes. Strangely enough, the worldcameraposition stayed good (always the shadow camera, like it should be).

==> I got around it by feeding my own matrixes on global variables in the shaders, so I'm not using the unity ones. But the most important question is : is this really the intended behaviour ???

9. discofhc

discofhc

I am having some trouble: flickering reflections using Planar Reflection Probe. The problem appears when a little away (maybe around 5 meters) from the reflection.
    It appears to be related with TAA.
    Unity 2019.1.0b8 / HDRP 5.9.0
    Is it known known?

10. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Today the answer would be no as there's zero support for extending the PP on HDRP 5.3.0 and newer. Once Unity comes up with the extendable API for currrent HDRP's PP, we will be wiser on this. I'd personally still expect the new API to differ a lot from what we've seen on PP stack v2 but it's too early to tell right now.

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

I see, thanks for the information

I hope we are not tortured a lot by the changes :)

12. konsic

konsic

HDRP V6

Please update 2019.1 with this new version HDRP v6x.
    I'm really interested for Parallax Occlusion Mapping node and SMAA support .

13. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

2019.1 should use 5.x.x HDRP. They've backported both POM and SMAA to 5.8.0+ already.

14. thelebaron

thelebaron

Getting a bug with the latest package 5.10.0 and 2019.1 with lingering bloom and materials, happening both ingame and in scene view when it does. This does not occur in 5.8.2.

I guess this is my bug report as I learned on discord bugs are meant to go here instead of the actual submission in editor?

15. looki666

looki666

Any words about OIT ( Order-Independent-Transparency ) ?
    Aras mentioned something about Phenomenological Transparency implemented in 2016/2017 on HackWeek .
    If this is HD and top of the line render pipeline , we need this !!!!!!
    At least WeightedBlended-OIT should be good , and its fast but have some problems with almost opaque objects .

And btw :
    https://github.com/candycat1992/OIT_Lab
    Implemented in StandardPipeline.

But all free and not only implementations that i have tested have lots of problems ( with particles , no custom shaders ...etc . , and for my as noob in Unity but seasoned artist its hard to modify those .

Jick87 likes this.
  16. Ralrigs

Ralrigs

So still no way to change shadow strenght, no real out of the box skybox system, so before going to make greater stuff at least please put all basic, personnaly i dont bake light and shadow at somes place are looking totality wrong also, its great to make greate annoncement but on a finnished feature it would be better, clearly i look better but 3rd time im upgrading a project of 60go + and i have to go back to my save ( due shadowing problem mostly)

When you have a big cube under your map (for a proportion only 200x500) and the shadow goes upside (but the cube isnt even visible from top) and you have a big shadow showing that cube under your map but this cube is under that mean how far its viable

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  17. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Have you used recent HDRP versions? There's separate "Dimmer" controls for Emission, Volumetrics, Shadow Maps on light sources for each individual light.

Currently there's the old ported procedural sky, HDRI sky, gradient sky as your options for sky (as well as support for custom sky). Unity is working on new PBR sky for HDRP so expect to see it hopefully this year. If you didn't know about sky options, sky type selection is in scene volume asset under "Visual Environment".

Newest HDRP versions have great shadow filtering options for forward only mode right now. "High" setting is PCSS atm which is my favorite, no more blocky shadows.

But HDRP isn't finished and Unity has been clear it's still going to take at least until 2019.3 for it to lose it's preview status. Even that target is not promised, it's an estimate. If you use HDRP today, it's important to understand you are using a wip, a preview version of it, not a finished feature like you suggest it is.

Tartiflette likes this.
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed HDRP is in preview, but the huge hype and advertisement Unity makes of it make it seem like is the only thing to use. I have many users now asking for it, so it does not really matter if is in preview, it is going to be used a lot due to the advertisement of being the best thing in Unity.

Ralrigs likes this.
  19. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Yeah, this is so confusing from a long time. They non stop talking about this and advertising it that i feel i should start using it like NOW ! And then it is always in preview and it is not sure if it will be released.

I just tried 2019.2 a9 with the latest HDRP from git hub and it is lagging so much ( something about rendering ) The project i tried was already using previous HDRP ( 5.x.x ).

Not to talk the that post processing is added to the scene volume and you have to add every single effect one after another. No reordering is available, no a way to disable the post processing object only if you want to see a quick before/after. Also the "Bloom" effect looks like blur and the volumetric fog is kind a grayish even though you choose to take 'sky' into consideration or something like that.

What i feel is that every next HDRP is worse than the previous ! It is always something weird !

What i only like about HDRP is the shadow quality and nothing else ( this opinion is after a lot of time spent on HDRP ) !

Ralrigs likes this.
  20. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

The release is aimed for 2019.3 it's been said here a few times.

Post processing isn't tied into the scene settings. The whole concept works on volumes and you can have more than one volume in a scene, so you can have a separate volume for post-processing.

upload_2019-3-26_11-39-2.png

21. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Thanks i am aware of all that :)

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

The thing most people will see is the Book Of the Dead graphics in front pages of the store, not the finer details and move to a mind set that HDRP is the way to go, no matter anything else.

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Why not just use a cookie on the dir light if feathering the shadow is the intention - basically emulating the effect of a spotlight?

Please limit replies to constructive stuff. You're just complaining at this point and the first complaint was enough in that respect.

I totally get your concern though: your customers want better graphics. In newer HDRP you'll get access to the function node which can take a HLSL include file or you can paste code directly into the node. You then make the node a sub-graph and can ship the sub graph node with your asset as a single asset file anyone can use with HDRP. This is available from 5.10 HDRP and 6.x equivalents.

But just going about complaining isn't going to change Unity's course. They are set on this. Finally Unity hasn't really ramped up on the HDRP marketing, that will come in 2019.3 I suspect, when docs are there to support.

HDRP is a very beefy full-fledged AAA renderer built with SRP, fully async and built with compute - which is exactly what console and newer GPUs thrive on. As time goes by the gap between builtin renderer and HDRP will widen ans never stop widening. You can fight that, but its unstoppable, especially since you can basically flick a switch next month and it will include raytracing.

If you're trying to convince people that anything else can look as good, then no, that's not happening. Unless builtin can do raytracing, basically.

24. darkydoodle

darkydoodle

I would not work. The shadows should be longer the more you get to the side of the map, like if it was an hemisphere lit by a sun. Also, wouldn't this not fix the big shadow map / low resolution for small objects problems ? Anyway, I ported my dynamic shadowmap to hdrp and it's working. More or less. I have other problems for drawing things with customRender but it's not directly linked to shadows. For now it's anyway faster than the unity solution (because I just need shadows on one light), and maybe I'll do some filtering on the shadow map but it's not really needed.

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Tried PCSS in HDRP using forward+ ? This is medium or high shadow setting in HDRP asset (very high is WIP) and of course using forward+ not deferred rendering mode since this dramatically increases shadow quality.

There is a lot of work in HDRP for these scenarios ongoing and already present. Make sure you aren't reinventing wheels.

You want the shadows to become diffuse and longer as the sun reaches the horizon, is my understanding. Not sure why you are trying to replace what is there, as it does sound like you haven't really scratched the surface.

26. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

PCSS is in shadow filtering set to High.

hippocoder likes this.
  27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

@ Unity staff regarding HDRP asset shadow area:

You know, these settings are best paired with an info box gui area explaining the technique or name of the technique, as they are different, not higher or lower.

Simply having "low, medium, high, a bit higher, fairly higher than before" options does everyone including artists, a disservice. Artists are quite technical with art-related terms. Even hardcore gamers are familiar enough with PCSS.

This is documented in github at the moment, but I guess the UI could be maybe a bit closer to what things actually are rather than a higher/lower Bruce Forsythe moment... and yes I'm teasing a bit I guess.

That reminds me...

In my game, low is higher quality than medium and high. This is because low's lack of blurring for a (very) big view distance allows the cascades to merge better than the other options. If the other options were able to hold up over a 5000 km distance in the same way, then I could call them higher.

28. darkydoodle

darkydoodle

you may be right, and maybe i'll try other ways to do the shadows. But for now, I have a fast and working system with a very good quality. Btw, you're talking of the horizon, but i'm doing a civ-like procedural generation. I'm used to "reinventing wheels" because most of the time they don't exist (my part of the game is already almost 100k code lines, my brother has twice that). And I confess, I like the challenge, I like optimizing my code. I did 4 different kind of triangulation process for example. I'm in no rush and I have no deadline. Anyway, I'm happy with HDRP, even if it's not complete. There's things that I really like.

29. discofhc

discofhc

Hi!!

I read POM is coming to Shader Graph on HD v6... any plans to add tessellation?

Thanks!

30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Staff mentioned tess needs a redo at a lower level.

31. id0

id0

Exposure is broken in HDRP 6.6.

Code (JavaScript):
    2. Compute shader (Exposure): Property (_InputTexture) at kernel index (2) has mismatching texture dimension (expected 2, got 5)
    3. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

32. mgear

mgear

33. reflectingb0t

reflectingb0t

Hi all,
    I tried to get nice hair shading behaviour in multiple versions of HDRP and tried again today with the latest release in 2019.2.0a9 Editor, but I just can't get it working right. With Alpha Clipping and adjusting the thresholds for it and the pre- and post passes it looks at least okay, but I want full transparency with correct sorting order AND nice hair behaviour.
    I tried the default HDRP Lit shader and an own shader based on the HDRP Hair Graph.
    My hair is a single mesh right now. I don't know if this issue comes from Unity oder if it lies somewhere else...
    What am I doing wrong? How do you guys get the hair working?

Thanks!

34. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

I don't know whether this belongs here or in the vfx graph thread, but it appears as lit vfx graph particles and bloom (HDRP PP 2019.1) don't work together.
    If the light source is inside the particles and colored, it begins to flicker with the complementary color (opposite side on the color wheel). How much so depends on the intensity of the light source. I set it to 800 candela to get a nice recording, but it starts much earlier and gets worse the higher the intensity is.
    On a fresh scene:
    1. Add the default vfx graph system with the quad output replaced with a lit quad output
    2. Add a bright red light source just above the emitter (y = 0.143)
    3. Add bloom
    You will get sporadic cyan colored flickering.

-------- EDIT ---------

It appears that the bloom filter can't handle high intensities. You can make the same thing happen by just overexposing the image.

1. Create new scene
    2. Add scene settings
    3. Add bloom and set the intensity to anything > 0
    4. Add exposure and keep lowering the fixed exposure
    It will go from normal to overexposed to white (as it should), but at around -18.5 the screen will suddenly turn yellow, then red and finally black.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  35. simonjacoby

simonjacoby

Mauri and mgear like this.
  36. sdagg

sdagg

37. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

I've been playing with the Megacity demo which uses the new built in PP, is there a way to adjust TAA settings? I can't find any options for it other than turning it on/off per camera.

38. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

I've been experiencing an issue with the new Decal Master Node: chunks of a surface rendered with a graph utilizing it flicker in and out in screen-aligned squares. I verified it has nothing to do with z-fighting (already adjusted relevant properties of the material), so it must be something else. Screen-aligned flicker is especially weird - as if it was some sort of an issue with tiled rendering.

39. dschmuck

dschmuck

Hi!
    First of all, I love working with the HDRP! We are currently starting to work on an animated short with it.
    I have one specific issue to which I can't find an answer:
    I am trying to get very large and small values rendered using the High Definition Render Pipeline. I need these values for auxiliary render passes. The values are in the order of something like 1,234567e+12 or on the smaller end 1,23456e-10. HDRP seems to clamp the values at 65504 on the large end and around 0.00001 on the smaller end. I guess the reason for that is that it is using half float precision. Is there any way of getting full float precision to render out values this large? I set up a really simple custom SRP of my own and there I had no problem rendering these kinds of values, but I would love to use the HDRP.

DaveL99 likes this.
  40. DuvE

DuvE

Did anyone have an FPS drop in the editor with latest HDRP 5.10? I already created a thread (https://forum.unity.com/threads/big-fps-drops-in-the-editor-2019-1-0b10-with-hdrp-5-10.657787/) but still. Here is a short video (
    ), I've tried everything, created a clear project, still can't quite tell what is causing these lags. It's always not consistent, sometimes when something is selected there are no lags, but when I just unselect and select gameObject again, the lags returns.

41. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

I had similar issue using Unity 2019 and latest HDRP from github !
    Seems there are some issues currently ( may be ) !

42. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

This is a known bug, thanks for reporting anyway :).

bac9-flcl likes this.
  43. DuvE

DuvE

Did you manage to fix this issue somehow?

44. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Am, no and i don't want to try anymore :) !

45. MUGIK

MUGIK

Faced bug with HDRP.
    I want to render object to RenderTexture and have only this object on the texture.
    rgb: 523 rgb.jpg alpha: 523 alpha.jpg
    Notice that alpha channel is correct.

I already have made what I want in good old unity rendering system (no SRP)
    But in HDRP I can't. (also I can't attach more than 5 images, that's why, what I expecting from HDRP will be in the next post)

I have tried unity 2018.3, 2019.1, 2019.2a9 and have the same result. For some reason in HDRP 5.3.1 and above, alpha channel is fully white. (latest 5.10.0 also doesn't work properly)
    rgb: 531 rgb.jpg alpha: 531 alpha.jpg

BUT, in HDRP versions below 5.3.1 Viewport Rect in camera's output settings doesn't work, and render the whole RenderTexture like here:
    523 rgb.jpg which I don't want. But with correct alpha: 523 alpha.jpg
    upload_2019-4-11_13-22-2.png

My question is: How do I render objects to RenderTexture with correct viewport rect and correct alpha?

UPD:
    If it's not right place to write about bugs, then please direct me to the right thread.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  46. MUGIK

MUGIK

That's what I already made with previous versions of unity(without SRP) and what result I expect from HDRP:

no srp rgb.jpg
    no srp alpha.jpg

47. konsic

konsic

48. dgoyette

dgoyette

Does anyone know how to get TextMeshPro to render nicely with some of the HDRP features? For example, refraction. I can assign HDRP Unlit shaders to legacy text components or images, but TMP's shaders don't handle refraction:

upload_2019-4-12_11-59-4.png

Any chance there's a simple tweak I can add to the existing TMP shaders? Or would this require a completely rewritten TMP shader?

49. reddotgames

reddotgames

Hello

We are playing with Shader Graph.

How to add coat mask or intensity into StackLit? It seems only possible on Lit shader which have more simple clear coat solution.

Problem is that when enabling coat on StackLit it is impossible to mask it for certain pixels so we can have for example RUST effect on CAR PAINT .

Is it only posible by editing hlsl files?

50. discofhc

discofhc

Any more info on that?
    There was no info on Unity 2019 roadmap... it means no tessellation in 2019?
    Thanks!