Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: High Definition Render Pipeline

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, Sep 25, 2018.

1. jjejj87

jjejj87

Had no idea it was possible - thought user packages had to wait until Asset Store support was done. Well, I am going to look into this :D

2. loliconest

loliconest

Hello, I just started using HDRP. I find out that transparent materials are blocking my directional light, how should I properly set it up so that my lights can go through glasses?

upload_2019-2-25_14-20-10.png

upload_2019-2-25_14-20-56.png

upload_2019-2-25_14-25-30.png

upload_2019-2-25_14-26-29.png

Edit: Temporary solution is just turn off shadows for those transparent objects.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  3. konsic

konsic

Please, create athmospheric scattering in HDRP.

discofhc likes this.
  4. discofhc

discofhc

Guys...
    i am using HDRP (HD 4.10, 2018.3.6f1), and when rotating the editor´s camera on "prefab mode", the sky light / color changes (like a day / night cycle) according to the camera´s rotation...
    it is very weird, and does not happen when using "vanilla" Unity.

Is it a bug?

I appreciate your attention :)

darkydoodle likes this.
  5. darkydoodle

darkydoodle

I had also a strange problem in play mode (I use procedural generation, so nothing in edit mode obviously) : after some times (especially switching several times between scene and play), a whole part of my generated objects that use the same material would break. It would be like if a texture was projected on it and it was moving according to the camera's rotation, like in your case. Like if one of my lookup texture was switched with another one and the tex2D coordinates where changed from relative to world position to relative to camera.
    It was puzzling because I had another material, with the same base shader but with added complexity (from transitionning between biomes) and the objects using it were working normally.
    With a build I didn't have this problem.
    I don't know if it's still doing it because I'm kind of stuck without custom nodes...

6. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

This is known issue. To explain, the procedural sky is expecting to find a "main directional" light to control the sun orientation and intensity. But in prefab mode (or when you disable the scene lighting toggle), this light is the hidden light attached to the camera, and thus, the sky changes with your point of view.
    We're searching a solution for this now, but also working on a new procedural sky. Expect more a fix on the new one.

discofhc likes this.
  7. kelloh

kelloh

I have some code that uses Graphics.DrawProcedural or CommandBuffer.DrawProcedural to render geometry. I don't have a MeshFilter or a MeshRenderer.

How do I support HDRP? As far as I can tell, there isn't a way to "hook" into the HDRP and ask to be rendered alongside other, for instance, opaque materials.

8. dgoyette

dgoyette

I was wondering what the current state or guidance was on SRP batching under HDRP? I'm using 2018.3, and maybe a month ago I tried out turning on Static and Dynamic batching under Player Settings, and enabling SRP Batching under the HDRenderPipeline Asset. It seemed to drop framerate by about 10 FPS, so I switched it back. Is that expected? In what cases should people be using SRP Batching under HDRP?

9. oshriez

oshriez

Difference between Editor game view and build. Need assistance.

The test scene uses just standard single directional light, a couple of shader-graph generated shaders and some scripts for custom cam movement. Its meant to run in VR (Vive / Vive pro).

in run-time on the editor it looks and works fine. However when running the build, wither the lighting gets weird or there are issues with shaders, or (most likely) I'm missing something basic... ;)

XS settings = VR enabled. (both oculus and OpenVR are active (Ive tried building with only OpenVR but results are similar. Version is 2018.3.6f1 fromEditor.PNG
    in the Editor in run-time

fromBuild.PNG
    From build...

Hints and tips much appreciated!

10. Elecman

Elecman

Just a quick word on the new physical procedural sky UT is working on.

One thing often forgotten about in real time rendering is that the reason why the sky is blue, is exactly the same reason why distant objects are blue. Very distant objects like mountains on the horizon or far away clouds almost have the same color as the sky.

You can't just have one formula to create the sky color, a different formula to create the blue rayleigh and white mie effect on objects, and yet another formula for the fog color. All these things must use the same color logic, otherwise the sky near the horizon will have one shade of blue, and distant objects at the horizon will have another shade of blue, breaking the illusion of it almost disappearing into the sky in the distance.

Here is an example (photo):

Aerial-Blue-Skies-Clouds.jpg

Note that there is no clear distinct horizon (look at the top right corner, ignoring the clouds) because the color of the sky blends nicely with the color of the haze (because it is caused by the same rayleigh and mie scattering). Notice that the dark areas of the clouds on the horizon have exactly the same color as the haze and sky too, again because it is affected by the same rayleigh and mie scattering.

So to summarize, it is great that you make a new sky shader but you can't do that without making a matching haze and fog shader. Relying on the asset store to fill in the blanks is no option either because of the same reasons. Some fog/haze shader is not going to blend nicely with another sky shader.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    id0, Mauri, sqallpl and 3 others like this.
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

100% agree, I don't understand the ugly split going on with current some procedural implementations. I think it's probably because it serves a dual purpose of hemispherical lighting that grounds objects well with GI, and this is something that should not really be done because it affects how well the sky can be rendered.

So a proper sky rendering solution should factor in the following:
    • decouple grounding (IBL) lighting from sky rendering - the sky should focus on how sky looks including haze... don't worry about how ground objects look. this is the job for local reflection probes/fix up in object shader.

• Add a way to blend/fade in and out an (unconstrained) rotated cubemap for night sky behind this, otherwise pretty much everyone doing time of day is going to get stuck on that one.

Elecman likes this.
  12. discofhc

discofhc

Getting errors with missing camera´s scripts / missing post processing scripts using 2019.1.0b4 and HDRP 5.6.1.
    Is it known?
    Thanks a lot!

13. jjejj87

jjejj87

Few suggestions for procedural sky:
    1. Add presets (So that the user can choose "clear mid day" instead of fiddling with the sliders until the sky is blue)
    2. Add moon and other heavenly bodies support (currently it only supports the sun)
    3. Add raymarched volumetric clouds...like here

and here

As for 3, I know that the Unity Devs will consider it as a no-priority, and chances are HDRP will have many cloud assets one day, but think of that day when HDRP is released to the public at either Unite or GDC as full release. Half of the screen will be sky and having a good looking sky will pay off :D

Also, raymarched clouds were used in Horizon Zero Dawn, and chances are by the time HDRP is released, pretty much all games with good graphics will have a better version of it. We already have a working volumetric lighting environment, so why not?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    sqallpl likes this.
  14. iamarugin

iamarugin

What space `float3 ComputeWorldSpacePosition(float2 positionNDC, float deviceDepth, float4x4 invViewProjMatrix)`
    from Common.hlsl returns? Camera relative or absolute?

15. konsic

konsic

TerraUnity likes this.
  16. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

17. konsic

konsic

He is?

Unity devs, please get this Bruneton's atmospheric scattering in 2019.1 HDRP.

18. f1ac

f1ac

19. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

20. Tracy_zly

Tracy_zly

微信图片_20190306194428.png 微信图片_20190220194016.png
    Sorry for the late reply. Here is the screenshot of my Profiler.

21. logsun

logsun

are there any toon shaders available for the hdrp?

22. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

Not provided with the package. But maybe somebody in the community tried to do that.

23. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

24. Tartiflette

Tartiflette

I remember that not too long ago the advice was to stay on 2018.3 with HDRP 4.x. Is that still the case or is generally OK-ish to migrate to 2019.2 with 6.x? I know that anything to do with lighting and postprocessing will have to be redone from scratch, but I'm more worried about stability issues.

keeponshading likes this.
  25. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

That advice was because there was a long delay between 5.2 and 5.3 HDRP releases and things got broken on newer editors. That has been solved a long time ago. HDRP 6.5.0-preview works with 2019.2.0a7 right now, although you may need to use staging for it.

Tartiflette likes this.
  26. sqallpl

sqallpl

Hey @SebLagarde ,

I'm on 4.9 and there is no option for runtime 'on demand' baking (the only available option is 'every frame'). I don't see it on 4.10 changelog too. WIll it be added in any future 4.X version?

Thanks.

27. elbows

elbows

It was also because 2019 alpha going public may not have been anticipated by the HDRP team, so they were keener on people sticking with 2018 and the 4.x branch for a time, although part of that may have been for the exact reasons you've already stated there.

I think the advice is still going to vary depending on a person or teams circumstances. There are lots of reasons with HDRP to stay on the bleeding edge as much as you can at this stage, especially if you see things in the changelogs you want. Plus if you have time to keep up with changes incrementally, it can be a lot less confusing and better for our memories to be there for each step of the journey.

Stability was mentioned as a factor. Well, that covers a lot of complicated ground, especially with something like Unity and HDRP. I've rarely had any show-stopping issues when indulging in betas and alphas, but I have been lucky and most of my work only uses a few parts of Unity. I suppose my 'some balance in the middle' approach is to engage with Unity betas & the appropriate HDRP version when other devs and people involved with HDRP are not delivering large, obvious warnings, but initially only with a copy of your project so you can always go back if you quickly hit an issue that is a biggie for your particular project. I've been more cautious with alpha versions but there isnt that much history of alphas to go by yet so I may reduce my levels of caution over time.

28. konsic

konsic

HDRP 5.6.1 is OK, only shader graph keeps crashing irregularly when you change something.

29. ivanmotta

ivanmotta

Hey folks, still struggling with that volumetric light problem, but I got a new one: trying to build, IL2CPP doesn't work but with Mono goes alright, them when starting see the unity logo, but just breaks after fading. In log, I have these messages:
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Shader Graphs/WhiteTexture1' - Pass 'META' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Shader Graphs/WhiteTexture3' - Pass 'META' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'HDRP/Unlit' - Pass 'META' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Shader Graphs/WhiteTextureAppear3' - Pass 'META' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Shader Graphs/HatchTexture' - Pass 'META' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PostProcessing/Uber' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/PostProcessing/Uber' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Shader Graphs/WhiteTexture2' - Pass 'META' has no vertex shader

I tried changing .Net api to 2, x86_64 on and off, post processing on and off, but always the same error. And also, there is nothing custom on these shaders it is complaining about. Any idea?
    Thanks!

30. Tartiflette

Tartiflette

Upgraded from 2018.3-4.10 to 2019.2-6.5 (using the staging depot) and managed to get it in a working state. It took quite a few restarts of Unity to actually get everything working for some reason. The biggest issue I did not anticipate was all my shader graph materials losing their inputs, and all my subgraphs getting disconnected inside my shader graphs.

If anyone is interested these settings looked pretty good:
    • directional light at 125000 lux, with 0.3 indirect multiplier for enlighten (maybe it's better to keep it at 1 and instead reduce the global indirect diffuse GI in the indirect lighting controller?)
    • Procedural sky: exposure around 15, disabled sun disk (super important)
    • Tonemapping: ACES
    • Auto exposure with 1.6 compensation.

479813005 likes this.
  31. nasos_333

nasos_333

How can i include HDRP pipeline runtime in my own script ?

Thanks

32. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

nasos_333 likes this.
  33. nasos_333

nasos_333

34. konsic

konsic

How to translate custom shader from Unity 2017 to HDRP ?

35. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

you need to recreate it in shadergraph, unless you want to dig deeper into HDRP codes

36. konsic

konsic

It possibile to make old custom shaders rendered in HDRP?

I would like that default renderer become subclass of SRP so that custom shaders you can make in 2017 version (with code or shadergraph) can be renderered (without pink) in SRP.

A grand unification of Unity.

37. twistms

twistms

Hi all. I have some trouble: Today i'm open my project and see nothing - no working lights. Whats happen?
    Unity 2018.3.8f1, HDRP 4.1#####
    And this error in console:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipeline.UpgradeResourcesIfNeeded () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@4.10.0-preview/Runtime/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs:356)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipeline..ctor (UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipelineAsset asset) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@4.10.0-preview/Runtime/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipeline.cs:248)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDRenderPipelineAsset.InternalCreatePipeline () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@4.10.0-preview/Runtime/RenderPipeline/HDRenderPipelineAsset.cs:23)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset.CreatePipeline () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineAsset.cs:19)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.PrepareRenderPipeline (UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.IRenderPipelineAsset pipe) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:55)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal (UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.IRenderPipelineAsset pipe, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras, System.IntPtr loopPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/RenderPipeline/RenderPipelineManager.cs:28)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

AND this

Could not extract GUID in text file Assets/Settings/New HDRenderPipelineAsset.asset at line 17.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  38. sqallpl

sqallpl

HDRP 4.9

Decals are not visible on objects that use HDRP Lit Transparent-Alpha (this mode has 'render decals' option available and it's set to true).

Should they work on transparent objects? Or maybe I'm trying to do something that is not supported.

I've just found this entry in 5.0.0 changelog:
    • Fixed decal draw order on transparent material
    Is it related to this?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  39. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

This might be a stupid question but where can I find the changelog for HDRP 4.10?

40. sqallpl

sqallpl

41. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

sqallpl likes this.
  42. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

Have you checked "Affect Transparent" in your decal projector ?

43. Laurens-Paladin-Studios

Laurens-Paladin-Studios

Hi there,

It might be a stupid question, but how can I get the new post processing v3 to work?

I have installed the latest HDRP (5.7) through the package manager (Unity version 2019.2.0a8). After not getting the post processing stack to work by installing it trough the package manager I found out, after searching through the forums, that the new post processing stack would be installed with the new HDRP. Now that I have installed it I cannot find it anywhere in the project.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to make Post processing work with the new HDRP?

Thank you very much in advance!

44. crysicle

crysicle

Watch 11:00+

I've also noticed that upgrading to 5.6.1 they've moved the PP settings into HDRP volume object which can be created via Create -> Volume Profile. So it seems there's 2 ways to apply them.

45. Laurens-Paladin-Studios

Laurens-Paladin-Studios

Ow my... How could I have missed that! Thank you very much.

46. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Is this a known bug?

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jxehbngirx6fzo/prefab_view.mp4?raw=1

Repro:
    1) enable HDRP (this happens at least on 5.2, 5.7 and latest master)
    2) have scene volume settings to use procedural sky
    3) enter prefab mode
    4) observe the sky adjust automatically to night if you look up (hold right button and move mouse)

Edit: Should have searched the thread better before asking :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  47. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I got the prefab view working somehow now, thanks to reanimate on Unity discord. Basically I had make a custom prefab scene and assign it on project settings->editor to prefab editing environment there. Main thing here is that the prefab scene has similar volume settings as your main scene (exposure/lighting differences make this break) and you need to enable the lighting toggle on the top of the scene view (it was disabled in the prefab view by default).

48. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Cheers mate, glad you got it working.

rz_0lento likes this.
  49. dgoyette

dgoyette

I haven't found anything about this in this thread, so I assume I'm just doing something wrong. But it seems like Screen Space - Overlay canvas images don't appear on camera when using materials. Here's my image canvas and image:

upload_2019-3-15_17-11-17.png

upload_2019-3-15_17-11-32.png

All of this is just default Unity and Canvas, and I can see it in the Scene view. But I don't see it in the Game view. If I remove the "Material" from the image, I can see it in Game View again.

Do materials not work on screen space UI elements in HDRP? Or am I doing something wrong?

50. darkydoodle

darkydoodle

Before using the HDRP, I had my own shadow map since you could not have shadows on spot lights. With the HDRP, I used the shadows provided by unity. Looked more or less OK, quite blurry. With a 4096 resolution map. Now that I can get my properties back from the Material Property Block with my instanced little trees moving with the wind, I see that the moving shadows are quite horrible. I had to use a 8192 map to have something that looks just "bad".
    I'm dreaming back of my own shadow map which, with it's 2048 resolution, looked maybe 4 or 8x more precise that the 8192 shadow res of the HDRP. The shadowmap I was using was calculted to only take in account the part of the world that the main camera was viewing, instead of the whole part of the scene illuminated by the light. It was also quite faster than legacy unity's shadows (tested with directional lights on another scene).
    What I want to say is that I'm quite disappointed, I'll have to reactivate my shadow scripts and shaders and deactivate all HDRP shadows to get something acceptable :/