Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: High Definition Render Pipeline

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Danua

Danua

Please add Occlusion Probes in standart HDRP, this is just crucial improvement of graphics!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Rich_A, one_one and id0 like this.
  2. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Hey can someone point me in the direction on how to use the vertex animation and the Shader Wind so I can set up some flags and banners that move in the wind?

3. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

What happened with 5.3.1 isn't it out already? i can't see it in PackMan

4. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

Sadly, that's a bug in Packman that doesn't show it. The newer package should be visible in the next alpha release.
    Meanwhile, you can edit your manifest.json to point to this version.

Reanimate_L likes this.
  5. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Hmm that's mean i need to edit also the dependancies to specific version. can you show me the correct version for them? i know hdrp are 5.3.1, but PPv3 and shader graph what are the version for them?
    edit : HDRP are "5.3.1 - Preview" ?

6. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

What do you mean ? I tested just now and it works.
    What Unity and HDRP version are you using ?

7. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

You just need to change HDRPs package link to

"com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition": "5.3.1-preview"

It will also import Shader Graph and PPV3 is built into HDRP (otherwise older versions will automatically import PPV2)

Also if you are using the 2019.2 alpha the package shows in the Package Manager, only in 2019.1 it doesn't show.

8. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Ah okay i found them, oh wow PPV3 are bit confusing. I thought the setup are the same as PPV2.
    Also the exposure Physical Camera Based are inverted isn't? lower shutter speed should brighter exposure, but it's the opposite here.

9. elbows

elbows

Major version of HDRP is increased for major Unity versions.

So, for example:

4.x = Unity 2018.3
    5.x = Unity 2019.1
    6.x = Unity 2019.2

Packages include a package.json file which tells Unity what dependencies the package has, and what minimum version of Unity is required. So things like the package manager will only offer you versions for that major version of Unity.

keeponshading likes this.
  10. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Yea, that's something I noticed as well. There's also the Pipeline Wizzard that sets up all the defaults for creating a new empty scene with Postprocessing and Scene Settings.
    It's Under Window -> Analysis -> Render Pipeline Wizzard then choose "Fix All" If you want all default settings for everything it's best to delete your old settings and let that window create all the defaults then you can modify the settings after. (This will default the directional light to use 100k lux, adjust Skybox exposure, as well as post-processing exposure to be more physically based)

keeponshading likes this.
  11. asdzxcv777

asdzxcv777

hdrp 5.3.1 is giving me a lot of errors with unity 2019.1.0b3 by default

12. Mauri

Mauri

Which ones?

13. asdzxcv777

asdzxcv777

here is an error i am getting on opening blank project with hdrp
    ArgumentException: RenderTextureDesc graphicsFormat must be a supported GraphicsFormat. R8_SRGB is not supported.
    Parameter name: desc.graphicsFormat
    UnityEngine.RenderTexture.ValidateRenderTextureDesc (UnityEngine.RenderTextureDescriptor desc) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Graphics/Texture.cs:211)

i have gtx 1050 gpu in my laptop

14. drcrck

drcrck

Add CommandBuffers for Lights

15. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Hey. Im using jdpr 4.9.0 and want to use vertex animation for some flag meshes. However Im no longer able to do so. Even ading the keyword manually seems to do nothing. Also how do we set up the object so that only parts of it move.

16. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

@YuriyPopov Are you saying that you want to use the deprecated "Wind animation" feature of the HDRP/Lit shader ?
    We don't support that anymore, and it will be replaced by something like a wind node in ShaderGraph.
    For the moment, you will have to do you own vertex animation logic in ShaderGraph.

17. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Say @Remy_Unity any plan to add GTAO into the PPV3 Ambient Occlusion mode? i think there's an open source GTAO for unity in github that works for great also it also generate Bent Normal buffer that can be used for AO and specular occlusion.

keeponshading, Guerro323 and Onigiri like this.
  18. jjobby

jjobby

Hi, I've tested adding multiple shader passes in subshader of HDRP. I discover that Unity will not render same LightMode Tags. For example, if I add 10 shader passes with the same Tags { "LightMode"="Forward" } Unity will render only the first pass. The remaining 9 passes will be ignored. Is this the intended behavior? If it is then does it mean that it's not possible to create fur shader using this approach http://www.shaderslab.com/demo-60---fur-shader.html in HDRP?

19. id0

id0

I want to ask if volumertic fog will be support light probes?

hippocoder likes this.
  20. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Huh lightprobe and volumetric fog? what do you mean

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I believe the glowing effect in volumetric fog via injecting probes, it was shown at Unite. I'd like that too, as a real light may be expensive.

id0 likes this.
  22. Invertex

Invertex

Not sure if this should go here or somewhere as a more generic Unity issue/suggestion...

Since forever, Geometry shaders haven't had
    lineadj
    and
    triangleagj
    inputs fully filled in. Only the first 3 points are filled and the rest are essentially null, and thus useless. With the push for more advanced graphics features, will this eventually be setup to be filled in finally? As of 2019.1 it still doesn't seem to be. It would be nice to have a fully complete geometry shader pipeline.

23. id0

id0

Exactly!

24. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You have a link for this? I tried to search for it but unfortunately GTAO is used for grand theft auto: online so only got results filled with these when I tried to search for it. I wasn't aware there's any other than Amplify Occlusion 2 that does this for Unity.

25. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

This is a error from PP 2.1.2. It should be fixed in 2.1.3 but you shouldn't use 5.2.3 or PPv2 on 2019.1 at this point at all, use 5.3.1 or 5.4.0 instead (these do not show in package manager atm).

26. Mauri

Mauri

rz_0lento likes this.
  27. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

28. TieSKey

TieSKey

I second the vertex normal request.

29. ivanmotta

ivanmotta

Hi guys! Trying HDRP for the first time on a prototype.
    Having some trouble with volumetric lights. As you can see on the screenshot, on editor everything is fine, but on game screen it's off place, like if its calculated on another resolution. When I select the reprojection, then it's a mess, with "zoom" like copies appearing of every light.
    Any insights, please???
    I'm on 2018.3.5 and 4.9 preview.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

30. konsic

konsic

HDRP is still experimental. This can happen.

31. discofhc

discofhc

Did you set the "high quality" option on "volumetrics", inside the HDRenderPipeline asset? It helps with resolution.

32. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

There is no plan to make any improvement to the geometry shader. Performance of geometry shader on console is to bad to be useful or be a priority for us.

33. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Not currently. There is work starting for this in the future. No ETA.

id0 likes this.
  34. ivanmotta

ivanmotta

Yes, it only changes the noise resolution on volumetrics. I tried every single checkmark on HDRP settings, on volume, on post processing, tried Vulkan, DX12, everything. Nothing changes.

35. Mullan7

Mullan7

HDRP isn't working on DX11 on UWP Xbox. It gives the error:

Platform Windows 10 64 bit with device Direct3D11 is not supported, no rendering will occur.

It works fine on DX12 though, which is preferable for this specific platform anyway. But SRP batcher only works with DX11. SRP batcher gives me a big fps boost on LWRP on Xbox, so I wouldn't like to go without it on HDRP. Is there any word on DX12 support for SRP batcher?

36. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

SSR already in HDRP since long time ago

37. konsic

konsic

How can I enable it in the scene?

38. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

By Activating the SSR checkbox in HDRP settings and scene settings

39. f1ac

f1ac

Is there a way to install 6.x version? Currently package manager complains about missing com.unity.ugui v1.0.0

40. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

you can just put a dummy package into your projects packages folder and put package.json for ugui inside it.

f1ac likes this.
  41. f1ac

f1ac

It worked, though it seems it references code missing from 2019.2.a4 (The type or namespace name 'EditorCameraUtils' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEditor.Rendering')

42. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

This is most likely because it doesn't have that namespace implemented yet. I think current 2019.1 beta has it(?) so next 2019.2 alpha could have it too. For the time being, I've just reverted the commit that introduces that (https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...mmit/eb42bf61d5434a122dcc9d3b37cb9898e86ea672). Worth noting that this isn't all that uncommon when using wip branches. Usually the next beta/alpha will bring the engine side support for some new api so one can use these wip branches again.

43. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Well, this is going to stall testing latest 6.x.x a bit: https://forum.unity.com/threads/2019-2-0a5-a6-will-be-skipped.631255/

As a side note, SSR is not working on 5.5.0 HDRP or 6.3.0 HDRP if you use forward-only. That is, unless I'm missing some additional option that needs to be enabled now in forward-only (SSR does work on deferred-only).

Edit-> SSR breaking on forward-only is caused by this PR: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/pull/2908.

Edit 2-> Fix now in master, thank you :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  44. Ziboo

Ziboo

Sorry didn't get notification that you replied @SebLagarde .
    Yes I'm mostly talking about masking. It is essentiel really. Some decals you would want to project on Environment and not Characters or the other way around.
    I don't know if it's better to flag the object or the material.
    But it's a must need. If you don't have that, decal will only be used for environement.
    Vfx Artists will be very sad.

Also their Mesh Decals seems pretty cool too. Or maybe having decal support SVG or SDF.

45. SKoptev

SKoptev

Hello, Unity graphics team!
    Are you planning to update "Experimental/Look dev" tool, for compatibility with HDRP?
    Very useful tool, and we really missed for it.

Maybe, it is possible to rewrite some code by my own - but how?
    Thanks a lot!

46. keeponshading

keeponshading

Tried OcclusionProbes with an HDRP and BuiltIn backport and i am not a fan of it anymore. Too much fakery.

The screenshots provided are probably not so representative and are more R aytracing T rees X treme marketing level.)

Especially the one in the middle.

Found 2 alternatives.

Simple one but also fakery.
    MultiResAO method gets pretty close to last shot.
    https://iquilezles.org/www/articles/multiresaocc/multiresaocc.htm

My favourite , most easy and most accurate.

Full Lightmapping to Vertex with Bakery.

https://twitter.com/guycalledfrank/status/1020806864655831041?s=20

This one works with Unity BuiltIn Pipeline Bakery Standard Shader.

Would be great if Shadergraph would allow to simply pipe the vertex lightmap values from bakery to the HDRP Lit Shader.

Would also greatly level up Fontainebleau.)
    Tested it on some assets backported to BuiltIn.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    id0 likes this.
  47. jjejj87

jjejj87

Unity is sort of not into supporting this...I was furious about this as this was advertised as if it is available out of the box...but not...which is another issue that I don't want to get into again...

Simply put, Unity shouldn't false advertise...regardless of their intent, it did mislead a lot of people.

On a side note, I wish there were shadow casters...no light but just shadows, then occulusion probes won't be needed in many use cases.

48. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

While not official, I got Occlusion Probes running from custom Package Manager package that will work on stock HDRP in the near future (still waiting for shader graph PR to get merged into future HDRP release before I send it to github), more about it here.

49. jjejj87

jjejj87

wait, rizu do you work for Unity? How did you get it up in the package manager?

BTW, really appreciate the work :D

50. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I work for my own company :)

You can make custom/local packages for PM just fine. You can even put direct github links in your manifest (as long as the git branches you link holding have been authored for this pacage format) and it'll grab them and show in Package Manager. I do custom packages for things I use a lot and are separated from actual projects code (they help me keep projects Assets folder clean and also make reusable things easier to share/reuse between projects).

What I do locally is that I usually place the custom package in subfolder located in projects Packages folder while I develop it. Any local packages you put there get automatically picked up by the package manager and you don't even add them manually to the manifest then. You can still make the file refs in manifest too (PM UI also got that + button on the corner for this) if you want to use local package from some other folder.