Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Feedback wanted about future changes to the Input System!

Discussion in 'Input System' started by WilliamReynish, Jul 5, 2023.

1. WilliamReynish

WilliamReynish

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone!

We are always on the lookout for opportunities to innovate and improve.

We have a new study available and would love to hear your perspective. The study will be in the form of an 1 hour interview where we will have specific tasks we’d like you to try on the Input System and share feedback on.

You’ll be able to get a sneak peek into the work we have been doing to improve the system.

We’re looking to hear from you if you have used the Input manager and/or the Input System before :)

If you are interested, please fill out the form below, we look forward to meeting you!

https://calendly.com/marika-unity/60min

2. Kleptine

Kleptine

As someone who uses the input system package deeply, I'd love to give some feedback and thoughts. As I write this I was actually just finishing up a new global input replay system, for our next game, heh. InputEventTrace is a lovely class.

Unfortunately the time slots range from 12am-7am PST. :eek: Any chance there are later slots available?

3. marika_Unity

marika_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello @Kleptine !
    I work with the author of this post. We would love to hear from you. I've updated the time slots with hopes that it'll be easier for you to find a better time. We hope it works for you!

4. bugfinders

bugfinders

I find the select buttonfor actions menu tempremental in the configure input window, there isnt always a way to go back, it can take a long time to do well anything - some effort in that area to provide responsive and clear paths would be good.

5. makaka-org

makaka-org

I guess that 1-hour interview is too much for my feedback, and as I can see, there is no time anymore in calendly.

Anyway, I have a short request.

I developed the asset called Sensor Camera which uses both Input Systems to work with Gyro and Accelerometer on different platforms.

While Testing the Asset for WebGL I Noticed that, there is a bug in both the Input Systems internally when changing orientation:
    • Old - Input Manager (iOS, Android) — If Active Input Handling setting is set to Input Manager only.
    • New - Input System (iOS — so "Compensate For Screen Orientation" setting doesn't work sometimes) - If Active Input Handling setting is set to Input System only or Both.

The Bug: When you change device orientation during the game, then it is not defined correctly sometimes. Solution: warn the player about making correct orientation before starting of Unity Project on a new tab.

---

So, at the current moment, orientation changing works correctly for the next platforms with Both state in Active Input Handling setting:
    • iOS,
    • Android,
    • WebGL (Android Only) via HTTPS.
    So since Input Manager is deprecated, then the problem is only on WebGL for iOS for the Input System package.

6. optimise

optimise

Hi. I would like official to rewrite and port current OOP based input system core foundation to dots to improve stability and performance to next level and then provide thin wrapper for game object based unity user. With that unity dots user can get much natural dots input integration. The main reason I say this is official should aware of other unity features implemented using OOP solution has been proven to be suboptimal and extremely buggy and revamp from scratch. So I hope input system team should start adopting dots today and not drag after few years only realize this not going to work and only start revamp dots solution. Actually there's dots input prototype available at year 2020.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/dots-input-prototype-hackweek-2020.926939/

Current there's an asset store developer working on mobile input tells me that until today this new input system still buggy at mobile input. I can give official the email to contact the developer.

7. Kleptine

Kleptine

If you dig into the package, quite a lot of the underlying structures are already DOTS oriented. There's a few that aren't, but if you need a DOTS input system, you could probably build one from what's already under the hood by just branching the package.

8. Lad-Ty

Lad-Ty

I'd really want to bring attention to a bug reported in another post, because it's very important to us right now with a nearing release, and I'd hope/believe it should be an easy fix?

BUG = "View/Menu" keys (sometimes referred to as "Back/Start" or "Select/Start") are swapped when running on SteamDeck

More here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/steam-deck-new-input-system-bugs.1467020/

Honestly no idea how to deal with it right now when we need to support both XBox controler AND SteamDeck at the same time, and the controls do not match. Would really need a quick hotfix of this one :/

9. WakingDragon

WakingDragon

Import standard controller setups.

I spend days researching whether what I am doing is right, when what I want to do is 99% the same as everyone else. The flexibility is great, but it is too complex. A superb quality of life feature would be to import pre-made action maps, mergable depending on the mix of controllers I plan to use, and maybe categorised under use cases (default, RPG game, picture manipulation, etc).

I feel I am spending a lot of time (days, so far) doing stuff wrong that you could do in minutes

10. bugfinders

bugfinders

Well the input maps we make in the unity input system are scriptable objects so you can arguably reuse. You could do some packages of your own so you install default rpg keyboard layout, etc..

11. PanthenEye

PanthenEye